PDA

View Full Version : Navy wants combat shotguns

Slater
03-26-19, 19:52
This seems somewhat like reinventing the wheel. MIL-S-3443G is the spec for a 12 gauge pump shotgun in a few different configurations, and (IIRC) the Army still uses the Mossberg 500. The spec allows for a plastic or wooden (walnut or birch) stock and forend, but the trigger guard is required to be metal (earlier versions of the milspec allowed plastic). I take it that they couldn't piggyback off of a existing Army contract?

"The U.S. Army, Army Contracting Command-New Jersey at Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000 is conducting a Request for Information (RFI) on behalf of the Project Manager Crew Served Weapons (PMCSW), located at Picatinny Arsenal, NJ to identify potential firms with the capability of manufacturing and delivering a Combat Shotgun for the Navy.

The purpose of this market research is to identify and determine sources capable of manufacturing a Combat Shotgun compliant with MIL-S-3443G, MILITARY SPECIFICATION SHOTGUN 12 GAGE, RIOT-TYPE. This market research is to determine if there are manufacturers capable of following a Government Specification and meeting a delivery requirement of 300 shotguns a month. For purposes of supplying the requested data in the following paragraphs, the Government anticipates a future contract to include contractor performed First Article Test (FAT), and ongoing contractor performed Lot Acceptance Testing (LAT)."

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=19258f600de9498ed4ee751dd94ae3d2&tab=core&_cview=0

mark5pt56
03-26-19, 20:16
Whatever happened to the 590A1, IIRC, a USN requested model. Metal trigger guard, thicker barrel profile-ship hatches, etc. ? And why would they want wood in stead of polymer?

titsonritz
03-26-19, 20:30
Whatever happened to the 590A1, IIRC, a USN requested model. Metal trigger guard, thicker barrel profile-ship hatches, etc. ? And why would they want wood in stead of polymer?

I'm recalling the same. That makes no sense.

Slater
03-26-19, 20:46

The spec allows wood furniture. I doubt that it would be called for nowadays.

SteyrAUG
03-27-19, 00:27
IIRC the Navy was using 870s, what happened to them?

Diamondback
03-27-19, 01:24
Don't Mossberg and Remington BOTH offer Maritime models that it'd be child's play to slap some rails on?

Why all the Procurement Song-and-Dance if a COTS platform with a few COTS upgrades can do the job?

ThirdWatcher
03-27-19, 04:08
Funny, LE is getting rid of their shotguns while the Navy wants new shotguns...

GH41
03-27-19, 06:59

If I had to run around inside of a ship with a shotgun I'd want a Shockwave. I'd also hope someone makes frangible buckshot.

T2C
03-27-19, 07:35
IIRC the Navy was using 870s, what happened to them?

We received a large number of 870s in the early 1980's to replace old worn out shotguns that had been in service for a lot of years. Unless there has been a large scale acquisition since then, maybe most of what they have is close to the end of it's service life.