PDA

View Full Version : Great light or light / laser combo for G19

ramairthree
03-27-19, 15:33
Snagged a blue label Gen5 MOS.

Plan to put an RDS, with witnessable suppressor height sights on it.

Considering which light to get.

Thanks for any input, pictures.

My Aimpoint 1000 was a cutting edge sight In The 1980s, my fist G19 in the early 90s was as well,
And even that first “laser technologies” light for my M9 later in the 90s.

Hard to believe everything is so normal now.

Any holster favorites appreciated as well.

Thank you.

Chameleox
03-27-19, 16:39
Depends on what you want to do. If it’s going to be carried OWB and exposed the majority of time, or if it’s primarily going to be a nightstand type deal, then I vote SureFire X-series or Streamlight TLR-series. I’ve used both to good effect. Frankly, I don’t see much difference between the two unless price (Streamlight) or a grip switch (SureFire) are factors.

If you’re going to carry IWB or especially AIWB, I’d look at the SureFire XC line or the smaller Streamlight models; I don’t have much experience with them, though I do want to try out the TLR-7.

I don’t do lasers on full sized guns. I see the point in some circumstances, but just not worth the cost for me right now. Can’t help you there.

Holsters: again, situation dictates, but if you can find an older RCS Phantom, it will cover a lot of bases.

Wake27
03-27-19, 17:05
Agreed on primary usage - I AIWB carry a Roland Special w/ X300U but it is a lot to shove down into my junk. I want a second Glock w/ either the XC or TLR-7 for easier carry over long periods, but also don't have much experience with either. APL seems to be a no-go unfortunately. Raven, PHLster, and JM Customs are all good kydex options.

ramairthree
03-27-19, 17:28
I have not done a laser with a full sized gun either.
I have a laser/light combo on my G26.

This will be IWB.

ggammell
03-27-19, 19:05
If you’re going RDS there is no need for a laser.

Which Glock? If you’re going 17 then tlr-1hl or x300u. If 19 then that TLR-7 and Surefire has a new one coming soon in the XC line.

Defaultmp3
03-27-19, 19:17
If you’re going RDS there is no need for a laser. Why is that? I love having a laser with my RMR, as it provides another backup sight, can make zeroing a snap/be an easy way to tell a zero is off, provides a reference point for when in unorthodox positions where your index fails you, can provide aiming when shooting from retention, and can be faster in very close distances against generous targets.

I personally have been using the X400 series since my very first handgun; I await the release of the XH55/XH50, but who knows how long that'll take. When shooting USPSA, the red dot is about 95% of my sighted fire, with the laser being there last 5%.

ggammell
03-27-19, 19:28
Why is that? I love having a laser with my RMR, as it provides another backup sight, can make zeroing a snap/be an easy way to tell a zero is off, provides a reference point for when in unorthodox positions where your index fails you, can provide aiming when shooting from retention, and can be faster in very close distances against generous targets.

I personally have been using the X400 series since my very first handgun; I await the release of the XH55/XH50, but who knows how long that'll take. When shooting USPSA, the red dot is about 95% of my sighted fire, with the laser being there last 5%.

1. I’m just not a laser on handgun guy
2. I guess if you want it as a back up aiming system. But the guys I’ve seen with lasers tend to actually use them and I assumed he was talking about aiming with both simultaneously which is stupid.
3. Who has time to look at point of aim when shooting from retention?if you’re within arms reach of the target you shouldn’t be looking for point of aim. Also activating it takes time that could be better used shooting the threat.
4. Faster at close range? Learn to use your red dot better. If

Defaultmp3
03-27-19, 19:59
Who has time to look at point of aim when shooting from retention?if you’re within arms reach of the target you shouldn’t be looking for point of aim. Also activating it takes time that could be better used shooting the threat.Fair point on the aiming; now that I think about it, I'm using it mostly to refine my index dry rather than using during live fire. As for activation, I forget that not everyone utilizes pressure switches. Still, I think there is value from the training side.

Faster at close range? Learn to use your red dot better. IfI can start shooting with a laser faster than I can with an RDS, simply because I can be much less refined in my presentation and I see the laser much earlier in the presentation, and thus get on the trigger earlier.

18bravo
03-27-19, 20:15
I have the Streamlight TLR-8 on my G19 MOS, along with an RMR, which I carry IWB. The red dot and laser are used in different situations, the red dot requires a proper sight picture while the laser does not - just point and shoot. I will be trying out the new TLR-8G with the green laser to see if it is more visible.

ramairthree
03-27-19, 21:02
If you’re going RDS there is no need for a laser.

Which Glock? If you’re going 17 then tlr-1hl or x300u. If 19 then that TLR-7 and Surefire has a new one coming soon in the XC line.

G19 LE MOs

03-28-19, 03:28
On my G19, I use an APL-C because it is lightweight and does not increase form factor.

ramairthree
03-28-19, 07:51
I love the switches on the APL.

I have a first gen one, a few later gen, and a C on other guns.

But, I have issues with them randomly decided the switch doesn’t work, then it does, then not, etc. in at least one the battery is always dead.
When I go to use it.

I have been shifting away from them.