PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Makes an AR Pistol

Tokarev
03-27-19, 17:53
https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556Pistol/models.html

Ruger has finally gotten into the AR pistol market. They're about the last ones to do so. Well, except for Colt I guess.

Anyway, I have had decent luck with my Ruger AR-556. Granted about all that's left that's Ruger is the upper and lower. Maybe the buffer tube. And I wish Ruger would have done this with the SR-556 TD series. I think a takedown AR pistol with a barrel in 5.56 and another in 300 BLK would be a fun toy.

https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556Pistol/images/top.jpg

GH41
03-27-19, 18:33
Are we supposed to be excited? An also ran manufacturer building what is surely an also ran AR pistol. I will call it bad if not fake news. Who GAS?

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-27-19, 21:37
Are we supposed to be exited? An also ran manufacturer building what is surely an also ran AR pistol. I will call it bad if not fake news. Who GAS?

Can someone translate this please?

26 Inf
03-27-19, 23:03
Can someone translate this please?

I believe it means Gives a Pooh.

There are so many choices out there at all price points that introducing a new AR pistol/rifle without some innovative feature isn't likely to garner a lot of enthusiasm from us internet commandos.

kyjd75
03-28-19, 04:11
I kinda like it, considering that you will probably be able to buy this for $599 or less in the open market. Another nice option for the general gun buying public, even though it may not appeal to everyone.

AndyLate
03-28-19, 04:44
This will result in all the fudds and neckbeards buying them and posting youtube videos of themselves acting like idiots in public until braces are banned.

grizzlyblake
03-28-19, 06:25
Nah, Springfield already makes a Saint pistol and PSA has all kinds of pistols so that market share is pretty saturated already. Nothing new here.

AndyLate
03-28-19, 06:49
Nah, Springfield already makes a Saint pistol and PSA has all kinds of pistols so that market share is pretty saturated already. Nothing new here.

Good point, but I would say a lot more people recognize Ruger as a brand and Ruger spends a lot more money on advertising.

Eurodriver
03-28-19, 09:39
When a Gun Maker Proposed Gun Control

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/business/sturm-ruger-gun-control.html

Good article.

How long did it take them after the AWB sunset to produce the 25rd 10/22 mag? A decade?

“Not the same company” my ass.

Hard pass on both ethical and technical reasons.

Oh and while we’re at it - Troy sucks too.

titsonritz
03-28-19, 10:24
This will result in all the fudds and neckbeards buying them and posting youtube videos of themselves acting like idiots in public until braces are banned.

Now way, most of that crowd already has 2 or 3 80% lowers they routered out and installed the cheapest parts available from that ongoing PSA sale, doobtube done learned 'em how with just a 2x4, pipe wrench and 16d nail.

26 Inf
03-28-19, 10:29

Good article.

How long did it take them after the AWB sunset to produce the 25rd 10/22 mag? A decade?

Why does Troy suck? Some anti-2A reason?

Curious, my only experience with them are the several fixed Battlesights I've owned and an Ambi-Mag release that the pin hasn't walked out on, yet.

TexHill
03-28-19, 10:36

Good article.

Question, would you purchase a new Colt 6920 if the price was right? After all, it wasn't all that long ago that the CEO of Colt stated that he would be in favor of a federal permit system with training and testing for gun ownership.

The Ruger family is no longer involved with the company that bares their name, and the company's stance on gun control has changed as a result. Should we continue to punish the company for the transgressions of the founder when he is no longer alive and the company's stance has changed? I don't think so. Now if Bill Ruger was still there then I would totally agree with you.

As far as Ruger's AR offerings go, there are some things that Ruger does well, but the AR platform isn't one of them.

Eurodriver
03-28-19, 10:48
Why does Troy suck? Some anti-2A reason?

Curious, my only experience with them are the several fixed Battlesights I've owned and an Ambi-Mag release that the pin hasn't walked out on, yet.

Troy hired Jody Weis (a Daly anti gun bureaucrat), Lon Horiuchi (who shot and killed Vicky Weaver who was armed only with her infant) at Ruby Ridge, and Dale Monroe (Lon’s partner at Ruby Ridge who was “ready” to take the shot that killed Vicky but Lon fired first). Hiring one? Eh ok. But all three? What the **** kind of gun company does that?

I can somewhat look beyond Ruger as a company for a stupid ass, happily deceased, owner’s comments made 25 years ago and shrug.

However, in the time-perspective of gun rights people taking the “Never forget those who ****ed you” mentality - Troy basically did all that shit yesterday, and any company’s culture that would permit the hire of individuals such as that is not an accident.

Eurodriver
03-28-19, 10:52
Question, would you purchase a new Colt 6920 if the price was right? After all, it wasn't all that long ago that the CEO of Colt stated that he would be in favor of a federal permit system with training and testing for gun ownership.

Should we continue to punish the company for the transgressions of the founder when he is no longer alive and the company's stance has changed? I don't think so.

1) You obviously don’t know me. The price doesn’t need to be “right” for me to buy a Colt 6920. It just needs to be on the shelf. Only hourly wage losers wait for sales.

2) see my previous post regarding the past and Ruger. Most of my hatred for Ruger stems from the fact that their firearms are just garbage save for the 10/22 and Alaskan.

wetidlerjr
03-28-19, 11:25
1) You obviously don’t know me. The price doesn’t need to be “right” for me to buy a Colt 6920. It just needs to be on the shelf. Only hourly wage losers wait for sales....

I know. Crass plebeians need not darken my door! :no:

Firefly
03-28-19, 11:50
Yeah.... Troy isn’t on my to do list but I like .44s and 10/22s so I’ll still get Ruger stuff.

I have Colts, LMTs(the official rifle of Bailey Jay), and KAC stuff. I turn up my nose at other stuff

n8vmind
03-28-19, 12:05
1) You obviously don’t know me. The price doesn’t need to be “right” for me to buy a Colt 6920. It just needs to be on the shelf. Only hourly wage losers wait for sales.

2) see my previous post regarding the past and Ruger. Most of my hatred for Ruger stems from the fact that their firearms are just garbage save for the 10/22 and Alaskan.Comment on #2. Right on. Excluding 10/22 (which is decent but T/C has a better clone) Ruger centerfire semi autos rifles are garbage..poor craftsmanship and rough machined parts..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Tokarev
03-28-19, 13:44
1)
Most of my hatred for Ruger stems from the fact that their firearms are just garbage save for the 10/22 and Alaskan.

They make a pretty solid 1911.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Firefly
03-28-19, 14:01
They make a pretty solid 1911.

Yeah but so does Dan Wesson

MountainRaven
03-28-19, 14:05
Yeah but so does Dan Wesson

If it's not an Heirloom Precision, you're gonna get kilt in dah streets.

26 Inf
03-28-19, 14:23
Troy hired Jody Weis (a Daly anti gun bureaucrat), Lon Horiuchi (who shot and killed Vicky Weaver who was armed only with her infant) at Ruby Ridge, and Dale Monroe (Lon’s partner at Ruby Ridge who was “ready” to take the shot that killed Vicky but Lon fired first). Hiring one? Eh ok. But all three? What the **** kind of gun company does that?

I can somewhat look beyond Ruger as a company for a stupid ass, happily deceased, owner’s comments made 25 years ago and shrug.

However, in the time-perspective of gun rights people taking the “Never forget those who ****ed you” mentality - Troy basically did all that shit yesterday, and any company’s culture that would permit the hire of individuals such as that is not an accident.

Thanks.

Firefly
03-28-19, 14:29
If it's not an Heirloom Precision, you're gonna get kilt in dah streets.

I read that in a cracked up black dudes voice with unironic intonation and busted a gut

You owe me a Pibb, partner

Eurodriver
03-28-19, 15:42
This post had nothing to do with Ruger so I deleted it.

ViniVidivici
03-28-19, 17:27
It's cool, just not that special. Certainly not as overpriced as the Saint though.

You can slap one togethet for cheapet than that price point.

JediGuy
03-28-19, 18:09
Cheap enough from a large enough company that supplies enough big box stores that we’re certain to see used in a mass shooting event soon enough.

grizzlyblake
03-28-19, 20:28
Sionics makes a complete pistol for $1100 and it's not a pile of junk like the Ruger.

26 Inf
03-28-19, 22:12
Sionics makes a complete pistol for $1100 and it's not a pile of junk like the Ruger.

The Ruger is selling for $699.99 as we speak, obviously going to be a different spot in the market than the Sionics.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/217519/8570/ruger-ar-556-5.56mm-semi-automatic-pistol-with-sb-tactical-stabilizing-brace

That says special deal, but I'll bet it floats between there and $899.00.

Tokarev
03-28-19, 22:43
Sionics makes a complete pistol for $1100 and it's not a pile of junk like the Ruger.CHF barrel counts for nothing?

AndyLate
03-29-19, 05:36
CHF barrel counts for nothing?

According to Ruger the barrel has a "matte black oxide finish". I assume that if the barrel was nitrided they would state so. I would pick a nitride or chrome lined button rifled barrel over a bare steel bore CHF barrel.

Andy

Tokarev
03-29-19, 06:47
According to Ruger the barrel has a "matte black oxide finish". I assume that if the barrel was nitrided they would state so. I would pick a nitride or chrome lined button rifled barrel over a bare steel bore CHF barrel.

AndyThe gun isn't perfect by any means. Yes, some type of corrosion resistant treatment is needed. Not a fan of that forend either. Why make an MLOK forend that only accepts accessories at 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00? Granted three surfaces are probably enough but it wouldn't have taken much effort to machine additional MLOK slots around the hand guard.

With that said I understand this product is built to a price point. Could Ruger have chromed the bore and chamber and used a BCM Gunfighter forend? Sure. But then the MSRP would be $1,100 and everyone here would be railing on what an overpriced piece of junk the thing is. Heck we are seeing this now.

On the plus side (and this is just something I've read elsewhere and haven't seen personally) is Ruger has finally done away with the "Colt cut" bolt carrier. I don't know if they are making a full GI pattern or not but getting rid of the grooved carrier and notched hammer is a plus and a long overdue update.

Eurodriver
03-29-19, 06:52
Is a mounted BCM VFG legal to sell on a pistol?

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-29-19, 08:05
Is a mounted BCM VFG legal to sell on a pistol?

If the OAL is over 26" in the shortest possible configuration, meaning brace and muzzle device removed if not permanently attached, it's considered a firearm and a VFG is legal. A 10.5" barrel won't make it though, and most 11.5"s will fall just under or barely make 26".

Falshooter
03-29-19, 20:56
If you make a pistol out of a rifle you will need to get a federal short rifle stamp which is $200 and if you sell it a buyer will need to get a $200 stamp to own it . If a TC gun if sold from the factory as a rifle must stay a rifle , if the TC is sold as a pistol you can change to a rifle and back to a pistol again no problem . Now I don't keep a up date on all the gun laws and don't care or want too . BATF is the place to get your answers and not on these forum and get it in writing .

Tokarev
03-29-19, 22:03
Ruger has this model too. From the photos, it appears to be the rifle version of the pistol. Same forend, anyway.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8529.html

I do wonder about the use of a "heavy profile" barrel. Is it really heavy or is it listed as heavy so the rifle is legal in MD?

This is, in my opinion, what Ruger should have made in their direct gas system from the start and skipped the plastic handguard model all together.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190330/c316b1f196b6d231ee07e0372bf66a43.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-19, 05:25

Good article.

Then why do you have a Ruger 22/45 that you recently posted a thread about . . . ?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214191-Ruger-22-45-upper-half-loose-after-cleaning

JediGuy
03-30-19, 07:44
Then why do you have a Ruger 22/45 that you recently posted...

This made me laugh.

jsbhike
03-30-19, 08:22

Andy

That is my main concern with Ruger's AR's.
Though I do have to wonder, on a 16" carbine length gas system seemingly geared to be streamlined for manufacturing to cut costs, why they stuck a proprietary front sight on it with a bayonet lug on it that I am fairly sure can't really be used.

jsbhike
03-30-19, 09:20

Good article.

Ruger started changing stuff as soon as Bill died in 2002. If he was still alive there would be no over 10rds magazines, flash hiders, suppressor, and so on.

Troy does suck and one could assume the roots there are deep enough that even losses of leadership wouldn't cause a correction.

me2hootyhoo
03-30-19, 13:53
$899 msrp seems high for any Ruger AR series from the poor quality I’ve seen. Small circle of shooting friend have purchased a few AR556’s and they just don’t run consistently.

Tokarev
03-30-19, 13:59
$899 msrp seems high...shooting friend have purchased a few AR556’s and they just don’t run consistently.

Street price is $650-$675.

What inconsistencies are you seeing?

10MMGary
03-30-19, 16:38
Yeah they suck and none of the cool kids want one I bet it will be a $500.00 deal of the day gun from PSA or CDNN Special by Aug. BTW I heard that 5.56 won't even hurt the target when shot from a ruger ar pistol.

me2hootyhoo
03-30-19, 18:08
Street price is $650-$675.

What inconsistencies are you seeing?

Cycling issues, l lend them a BCG and they run fine, that's two of them. Another (3rd) has a trigger that sounds like a nails on chalkboard, longest most horrid trigger in the galaxy. Not sure whats going on over at Ruger. Its just happens to be my experience is all, I wouldn't bet my life on one. Still for $650 I think there is better options out there. Also, who cannot figure out how to build an AR these days?

Tokarev
03-30-19, 18:16
Cycling issues, l lend them a BCG and they run fine, that's two of them. Another (3rd) has a trigger that sounds like a nails on chalkboard, longest most horrid trigger in the galaxy. Not sure whats going on over at Ruger. Its just happens to be my experience is all, I wouldn't bet my life on one. Still for $650 I think there is better options out there. Also, who cannot figure out how to build an AR these days?Tell your buds to call Ruger.

Say what you want about their products but they stand behind what they make. If there is a problem they will take care of it.

me2hootyhoo
03-30-19, 19:17
Tell your buds to call Ruger.

Say what you want about their products but they stand behind what they make. If there is a problem they will take care of it.

I did. I'm not saying what I want, unfortunately it's the truth. I also own more Ruger firearms (pile of 22's and revolvers) than any other brand, I have no beef with them. The AR556 is a 100% failure in my experience; that's not something I plan to spend my $$ on or recommend someone else to do so.

jsbhike
03-30-19, 19:17
Were the cycling issues recent or early guns? 2 guys I shot local matches with bought 2 during the first year or less of production and both had the same type of malfunction (can't recall what at the moment) frequently. The guy who is in attendance more often called Ruger up and as soon as he told what was happening the last said that was an issue with some and issued a return tag. Fixed and back to him in 2 weeks or less.

me2hootyhoo
03-30-19, 19:20
Were the cycling issues recent or early guns? 2 guys I shot local matches with bought 2 during the first year or less of production and both had the same type of malfunction (can't recall what at the moment) frequently. The guy who is in attendance more often called Ruger up and as soon as he told what was happening the last said that was an issue with some and issued a return tag. Fixed and back to him in 2 weeks or less.

I would assume same era, within the last few years. Sounds like they had a rough start with gas AR's at Ruger.

Tokarev
04-07-19, 10:02
I saw one of these live and in person yesterday. The gun appeared to be nicely assembled. Upper and lower fit seemed good. The forend lined up with the receiver etc.

I didn't hinge the receivers open but probably should have because I'm curious about the bolt carrier. I've heard Ruger is no longer using the Colt cut. Is that right? Does that mean they're using a full mass carrier or one without the full-auto trip?

Tokarev
10-23-19, 09:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFqd7JONpDU

10MMGary
10-23-19, 11:04
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/217519/8570/ruger-ar-556-5.56mm-semi-automatic-pistol-with-sb-tactical-stabilizing-brace
Now $570.00 delivered to your FFL,,,,

wetidlerjr
10-23-19, 11:17
LOL :haha:

Tokarev
10-23-19, 11:48
Here's something for those of us who think the Ruger is a bit too pedestrian:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/ARP-Tactical-556-NATO-113-Barrel-Black/productinfo/ARP295/

seb5
10-23-19, 13:01
I have AR pattern pistols in 9mm and 300, 5.56 is an SBR. I still look at my AR pistols as more range toys than anything else. They wouldn't be my first choice for serious uses. I know many who prefer them and that's OK with me but if I'm buying a cheap pistol in AR pattern it's going to be PSA instead of Ruger. I've still got two 10-22's and I'll keep them but over the last 30 plus years Ruger has consistently left a bad feeling with me. When their AR's first came out I had to repair several for friends. I just don't prefer to them to other similarly priced items.

Liam
10-24-19, 00:30
An interesting example, but I would not buy this, not my style. My passion is revolvers and guns. Although the idea of this model in the form of a modification looks good, something is missing.

SELFDEFENSE
10-25-19, 16:00
More choice can't be all bad.

GHMann
10-25-19, 18:07
I bought a Ruger 5.56 pistol. Then I bought a PSA 300 Blk Out upper for it. I definitely like it better in the 300 BO caliber, but I wish I would have waited because shortly afterward, Ruger came out with a 300 BO pistol. Probably would have bought that in the first place.

penguin
10-25-19, 20:50
More choice can't be all bad.
+1
having more choices is never a bad thing

AndyLate
10-26-19, 07:33
I have AR pattern pistols in 9mm and 300, 5.56 is an SBR. I still look at my AR pistols as more range toys than anything else. They wouldn't be my first choice for serious uses. I know many who prefer them and that's OK with me but if I'm buying a cheap pistol in AR pattern it's going to be PSA instead of Ruger. I've still got two 10-22's and I'll keep them but over the last 30 plus years Ruger has consistently left a bad feeling with me. When their AR's first came out I had to repair several for friends. I just don't prefer to them to other similarly priced items.

In my opinion, you can build a better "cheap" 5.56 pistol than you can buy, but I agree the PSA is probably superior to the Ruger.

I built my Mixmaster pistol using poverty pony upper and lower receivers, clearance ALG rail, BA Hanson barrel on sale, TC nitride BCG, PSA fire control parts, and a used Shockwave brace with RE. Not the best parts, but the carefully assembled final product is superior to a Ruger or PSA for my purposes. The pistol is reliable, fun, and not ridiculously overgassed.

If I needed a short AR for serious purposes, I would buy a Colt/LMT/BCM/Sionics, etc. and SBR it.