PDA

View Full Version : Smooth barrel profile vs “shelves”

JediGuy
03-28-19, 06:45
I like my BA .625 Hanson profile barrel. It’s super light. I’m looking at picking up a BCM enhanced lightweight fluted barrel, because I want a matching upper for my BCM lower.

But...
Is there any empirical data extolling the benefits to the smooth transitioning barrels sans gas block shelf, cutouts, or other right angles? I get the extra mass where it matters, etc. I’m specifically curious about the premise that a right angle can have some deleterious effect on accuracy.

Caduceus
03-31-19, 08:11
Only thing I've ever heard is that the ELW barrels heat up faster.

I suppose there would be barrel harmonic factors, but since the bore is what the bullet interacts with, I assume (yeah yeah I know) it wouldn't matter much.

Milspec78
04-09-19, 11:06
I’ve often wondered this myself,And having read ba’s claims,I have to agree with them(just from my own practical experiences)

vicious_cb
04-09-19, 11:19
I like my BA .625 Hanson profile barrel. It’s super light. I’m looking at picking up a BCM enhanced lightweight fluted barrel, because I want a matching upper for my BCM lower.

But...
Is there any empirical data extolling the benefits to the smooth transitioning barrels sans gas block shelf, cutouts, or other right angles? I get the extra mass where it matters, etc. I’m specifically curious about the premise that a right angle can have some deleterious effect on accuracy.

Theoretically its better for barrel harmonics but I highly doubt you would see any benefits in a mass produced barrel like BA. The limiting factor here is bore quality.

Milspec78
04-22-19, 18:48
I am in 100% agreement with you on this,somewhere I saw a series of bore scope pics of “higher end” barrels,I was shocked by what a couple of well Respected company’s were putting out (good and bad)