PDA

View Full Version : Non-factory magazines for new M17/M18 Military Pistol?

Bruce in WV
03-28-19, 15:53
Who is making less expensive magazines for the new SIG M17/M18 military pistol? What are the cost and quality comparisons?

lsllc
03-28-19, 16:11
I think there was a talk of ETS mags being released this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
03-28-19, 19:33
I would think Mec gear has some. They make other Sig mags. I got 3 with my full sized and bought one more factory so I didn’t investigate.

To be clear the full sized P320 or X5 mags should work.

PB

TomMcC
03-28-19, 20:29
In non-1911 guns the only one's I would look at are Mec-gar's.

MountainRaven
03-28-19, 20:43
I'd bet that Mec-Gar magazines are not available except in SiG's packaging, like their P229-1 magazines.

dwhitehorne
04-01-19, 15:55
I would think Mec gear has some. They make other Sig mags. I got 3 with my full sized and bought one more factory so I didn’t investigate.

To be clear the full sized P320 or X5 mags should work.

PB

Mec-gar is OEM for the P320. I reached out to them directly trying to get spare base plates for some mags at work over a year ago. Mec-gar said they only supply complete mags to Sig and wouldn't elaborate from that. I'm guessing there is some type of contractual agreement since you don't see P320, M&P, Walther, Canik or any of the newer models that use Mec-gar mags on the Mec-gar's website. David

Pappabear
04-01-19, 16:24
Mec-gar is OEM for the P320. I reached out to them directly trying to get spare base plates for some mags at work over a year ago. Mec-gar said they only supply complete mags to Sig and wouldn't elaborate from that. I'm guessing there is some type of contractual agreement since you don't see P320, M&P, Walther, Canik or any of the newer models that use Mec-gar mags on the Mec-gar's website. David

Do you still need spare base plates, I might have some. I bought some of those Grey guns base plates and might have my old factory ones laying around.

PB

dwhitehorne
04-02-19, 02:43
Thanks for the offer. This was before the mag base redesign. Sig has since replaced all of our pistols and mags. David

halfmoonclip
04-09-19, 11:24
Mec-gar is OEM for the P320... David
The mags with my M17 were marked 'made in Italy', as were the next three I got from various sources. The most recent one is American made. It has a different baseplate, was more difficult to load the first couple times, and the baseplate was more difficult to remove.
Oddly, the P365 mags are all American made.
Moon
ETA- Without some solid history, I'd avoid aftermarket mags. Unhappily, Sig is mighty proud of their mags, and price them accordingly.
M

bobbytucson
04-15-19, 19:57
mec gar is the actual maker of factory p320 mags as it is, the reason we dont see aftermarket mags from mec gar is because mec gar upkeeps contracts by not creating competition for the people that give them business. any p320 magazine stamped with made in italy is a mec gar mag. once sig revamps their u.s. contracted magazine supplier, which have made in u.s. stamp, only then will mec gar start offering their own p320 mags. this was according to rep

halfmoonclip
04-15-19, 21:20
I've got a half-dozen factory mags now, only one domestically made. I'll wait to buy more until MecGars are generally available, tho' I'm not unhappy with the domestic mags for the P365.
Moon

mbinky
04-16-19, 08:53
Looks like ACT-Mag will be producing some magazines for the P320. I'll bet that a lot of manufacturers will be trying to make them in order to compete in the eventual spares contracts that will show up now that the M17 has been adopted.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/actmag-sig-sauer-p320m17-17-round-magazine-p-2047.html

RHINOWSO
04-16-19, 10:39
MecGar is SIG OEM and I don't think they sell mags for the P320 directly as "MecGar", as they do for the P226/8/9.

It may be in their OEM contract that they can't sell directly or they may have to wait X number of years to do so.

halfmoonclip
04-16-19, 10:39
Binky', this has historically been the deal for GI Mags. We'll do well to question the provenance of any replacements, and hope the Pentagon doesn't get involved, as they did with M9 mags.
Moon

RHINOWSO
04-16-19, 10:51
We'll do well to question the provenance of any replacements, and hope the Pentagon doesn't get involved, as they did with M9 mags.
Moon

LPTA baby, LPTA...

halfmoonclip
04-16-19, 11:37
Yeah, I know. That whole 'lowest bid' thing can be unsettling. ;) Apparently the brass wanted parked magazines for rust resistance, not allowing how the rougher surface might react with sand.
Moon

dwhitehorne
04-16-19, 16:41
ETA- Without some solid history, I'd avoid aftermarket mags. Unhappily, Sig is mighty proud of their mags, and price them accordingly.
M

The USA marked mags aren't aftermarket to my knowledge. At one point 2016 time frame Mec-gar couldn't keep up with demand so Sig contracted with Checkmate for mags. The Checkmate mags I have seen were the older style mags without the newest upgrades. I don't know if Checkmate is still involved anymore. David

halfmoonclip
04-16-19, 19:16
Not finding fault with the domestic products; it's just that MedGars are the gold standard for magazines. You're likely right about Checkmate as a mfg.
Moon

3ACR_Scout
12-14-21, 10:38
Looks like ACT-Mag will be producing some magazines for the P320. I'll bet that a lot of manufacturers will be trying to make them in order to compete in the eventual spares contracts that will show up now that the M17 has been adopted.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/actmag-sig-sauer-p320m17-17-round-magazine-p-2047.html
I'm very late to this discussion, but I just came across it and wanted to offer an update. Based on positive feedback on the other site, it looks like the ACT mags are a solid, affordable alternative to Sig (MecGar) factory mags. They can be found for $23-$24 through Greg Cote and The Mag Shack (https://themagshack.com/shop/pistol-magazines/9mm/act-mag-sig-sauer-p320-250-9mm-17-round-magazine/). The ACT mags are stamped "ACT-MAG ITALY," prompting speculation that they are made by MecGar, but I haven't seen any real evidence of that. They do have a glossy finish like some of my P226 mags made by MecGar, not matte like the factory M17/M18 mags.

ACT also recently updated the baseplate locking plate design, so they are interchangeable with Sig baseplates with the rectangular hole. I picked up some 3-packs of Sig tan baseplates from CDNN (https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p320-magazine-bottom-brown-3-pack.html) to match the M17 mags. I only have about 150 rounds through three of the ACT mags, but they seem solid and reliable, almost indistinguishable from the OEM mags, except for the glossy finish. The only small issue that I'm keeping an eye on is that one of my ACT mags seems to occasionally fail to lock the slide back when empty, but it's possible I'm putting some pressure on the slide locking lever with my thumb over the safety. I marked that mag and will keep an eye on it during future range sessions.

Alex V
12-16-21, 16:29
I have several ProMag 17rd and 30rd magazines. They fit and run in my M17 frame but will not fit into my FluxRaider.