PDA

View Full Version : Speaker System for range

signal4l
03-29-19, 18:37
My PD is looking to purchase a speaker system for outdoor firearms training. We have been using a bullhorn. Its time for a much needed upgrade.

I would be okay with a one speaker system. Something that can be charged up the night before. It will need to be water resistant. We seldom have more than 10 officers on the range at a time. I don't see the need for anything too huge or powerful.

I've done a fair amount of googling. Many of the systems I have found seem to be geared towards karaoke

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

26 Inf
03-29-19, 21:50
Can you tell us a little more about your set up - do you have power? Will they let you put up poles for the speakers, or do you already have poles for lights, etc.? Also what is your budget?

On our range we initially went away from the bullhorn to a Radio Shack Portable amplifier with speakers on old telephone poles and a low end Nady brand wireless microphone. This was pretty rudimentary but it worked. We powered it with an extension cord run from the range shack - a literal shack, we were lucky to have power.

Unless your system has a wireless microphone you are going to be tied to it and I would imagine that you might also have some problems with feedback.

As our range improved so did our sound system - getting your speakers elevated helps reduce feedback. Wireless mikes allow you to make on the spot corrections once the line is holstered - I am a firm believer that if you are running the line safety is number one and you should defer coaching on something you see while scanning the line until firing is done, unless of course it is something you need to call a cease fire for.

signal4l
03-29-19, 23:07
Budget is $1000. I will need to use a wireless microphone. We have no poles, buildings or electricity at the range.

GH41
03-30-19, 06:33
These people should be able to fix you up. https://www.ampli.com/portable-pa-system/690-airvox.aspx

signal4l
03-30-19, 08:47
These people should be able to fix you up. https://www.ampli.com/portable-pa-system/690-airvox.aspx

Thanks. The SW680 system looks perfect