PDA

View Full Version : Slings

Voodoochild
11-02-06, 08:25
Ok so I am not sure this counts as tactical gear but I am looking for a good sling. I currently have an ASP sling but want something else. Can anyone recommend a good one for me.

matt7184
11-02-06, 09:41
I have an ASP sling too and hear good things about the BFG Vickers sling and want to try that. The ASP is comfortable for a single point, but not comfortable enough for me for very long.

Cold Zero
11-02-06, 10:14
The Vicker's BFG sling is the rage right now. The old standby was The Wilderness Tactical single, two or three point slings.

Mojo58
11-02-06, 16:08
Ok so I am not sure this counts as tactical gear. .

To the contrary. It's a piece of gear that is commonly overlooked. How do you want your weapon to "hang" when you need to go "hands free"? At the ready position, where do you want your weapon? Do you want a single point sling, a two point sling, a two point adjustable or a 3 point sling?

Check out http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/carbineSlings.htm to get a better understanding of the pros and cons. Everyone has their own preference. I have chosen the Viking Tactics VTAC sling (2 point adjustable). My son chose the Specter Gear 3 point SOP sling and he really likes it.

KevinB
11-02-06, 18:40
I really like the Blue Force gear slings -- they are not as "nylony" as the majority of others.

I have a VTAC on one carbine, a few SOC-C attachments on others, a Vickers BFG, and some Wilderness Single Points.

I despise 3 pt slings.

Policetacteam
11-04-06, 17:59
What type of sling of you looking for? Single point, 2 point, etc... I currently use a Tactical Link Stealth QRB X-180 single point sling and really like it! Tactical Link and any ASP sling would be on my list of top slings. Both are well constructed and will last you for years. Good luck!

UPSguy
11-04-06, 23:00
My first sling to go along with my first AR was the BFG Vickers sling. Maybe it is my small size and no load bearing equipment and ceramic plates that is causing my difficulties with it. With the front sling mount at the rear of the Lite Rail and the rear attached to a Tango Down PR4 it seems like the adjustment tab of the Vickers is too high up or behind me to be adjustable. I then got the BFG UDC single point and with its Fastex conection I can easily switch it from a single point to two point and like it alot. Probably will get rid of the Vickers.

USMC03
11-05-06, 07:25
Of all the designs that I have used I prefer the Vickers 2 point over all others. The Vickers is an improvement on the VTAC 2 point easy adjustable sling.

The easy adjustable 2 point sling (like the Vickers and VTAC) have a combination of the pros of both of the single and 3 point sling, but very few of the "cons" of a 1 point or 3 point design.

The thing I like about the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling is the ability of placement on the gun. With a 3 point sling the front attachment is in the area of the front sight post and the rear attachment is on the rear of the stock. With a Single Point sling both the front and rear attachment are at the same location (generally), where the buffer tube meets up with the lower receiver.

With the 2 point sling you can use several different location points. For the front attachment if you have a railed handguard like a LaRue you can place the front from as far forward as the front sight post or as far back as the delta ring or anywhere in between. With the rear attachment you can use either a Single Point Sling Plate or can attach it to the buttstock.

I'm still expermenting but I'm finding that most guys perfer the front attachment near the delta ring (the location where the new LaRue rails have the quick release attachment hole) and the rear attachment on a Sling Point Sling Plate (where the buffer meets up with the lower receiver).

The pros of the easy adjustable 2 point sling is in the up position it give you the freedom of movement of the single point sling, no extra straps to get in the way, doesn't get hung up on gear, etc.

In the down postion the gun lies diagonally across your body just like a 3 point. This makes walking easier, gun doesn't hit the shooter when he transitions to pistol. If performing tasks with your hands you can move the gun to your back and it retains well like a 3 point sling.

The adjustment on the Vickers sling is very quick and very easy. This lets the shooter have as much freedom or retention as he needs.

The only con that I have found is it's not as good to transition from one shoulder to the other with the Vickers sling (compared to a single point), but it's much easier than a 3 point. That, and in my opinion, cost is somewhat of a con (retail is around $60)

The Vickers slings is the optimum sling for Patrol, SWAT, civilian or competition use in my opinion based on the different sling set ups that I have used over the years.

I haven't found anything that I haven't liked about the Vickers sling yet. I have 10 AR's and have converted almost ALL my slings over to Blue Force Gear Vicker's slings.

I will also replace the slings on my Benelli's and my Accuracy Internation Artic Warfare with Blue Force Gear Vickers sling. I am that impressed with them!!!

Blue Force Gear Vickers slings on a couple different rifles (I used the bottom rifle on Monday and Tuesday in a Tactical Rifle class with ZERO issues, couldn't be happier. For transition to support hand side, I just lift the buttstock over my head so the sling would not wrap around my neck...it made for a very smooth transition, as noted by the instructors teaching the class):

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03%20new%20fg4s.jpg

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03%20sml6s.jpg.jpg