PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian Hi Power Back from The Action Works

Tokarev
03-30-19, 09:37
This pistol started life as a used but mostly unmodified PJK-9HP. I bought it used from a fellow who also bought it used. History and round count is unknown although the pistol didn't have much finish wear internally or externally.

The gun had been modified a little from stock. Someone had pulled the mag safety out along the way. The hammer had also been replaced with a spur hammer instead of the ring hammer the FEG guns came with. Maybe the spur hammer is original? I don't think I've ever seen another FEG with a spur hammer but I'm certainly not an expert on these guns or their various configurations.

I sent it to The Action Works awhile back to have the feedramp polished, safety and sear engagement corrected, new sights installed and a matte refinish. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. I had briefly thought about replacing the grips but have decided to stick with what I've got. The FEG grips give the gun a nice classic look.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/581906bcf603692263a12147082ea7a7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/c76f80d9f4a6ee65c520c9c7d07a26dd.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/a6d9575456839a8cfa857d36c53693b1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/b8d38e82cdd51840691283e1fea4f84a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

gaijin
03-30-19, 10:05
Don is one of the preeminent P-35 Smith’s.
Nice pistol.

Tokarev
03-30-19, 10:16
Don is one of the preeminent P-35 Smith’s.
Nice pistol.I hadn't really thought of this FEG to be anything other than a beater. But it turned out so well I wish I'd have had just a bit more work done.

Gunnar da Wolf
03-30-19, 10:31
That looks nicely done. I have a BHP from the mid 80’s that I had Novak’s put sights on. They are just nice shooting pistols.

prdubi
03-30-19, 12:18
I work for FEG and I showed them the pistol.

They love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tokarev
03-30-19, 13:02
I work for FEG and I showed them the pistol.

They love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkCan you comment on FEG's status as a firearms manufacturer? Is the P9M/PJK still in production? If not, are there plans to bring it back now that FN is out of the Hi Power business?

prdubi
03-30-19, 13:33
We have a hipower in the works.
We are making stuff...

We have some sa85mP coming in as pistols soon.

Tokarev
03-30-19, 14:04

Excellent!

Any particulars you can disclose at the moment? Any projected release date?

prdubi
03-30-19, 14:10
A steel hi power with RMR , picatinny rail with suppressor sites and rmr.

Tokarev
03-30-19, 18:28

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkThat should be pretty nifty.

One small suggestion if you don't mind. Add a bit more tang to the back of the frame. Not full-on beavertail as done by the custom shops but rather something with just enough length to help cure hammer bite.

sundance435
04-01-19, 09:51
One gun I really kick myself for getting rid of was MkIII worked on by Don. I'd do bad things to get that back.

Tokarev
04-01-19, 10:23
One gun I really kick myself for getting rid of was MkIII worked on by Don. I'd do bad things to get that back.I've had Don do a little work to a 1911 previously but this is the first Hi Power I've sent him. Quite pleased with it and will probably send him another.

czgunner
04-01-19, 11:38
My MK3 is at Action Works.
Hope to get it back any day now.

Tokarev
04-01-19, 17:51
My MK3 is at Action Works.
Hope to get it back any day now.Post pics when you can.

yoni
04-02-19, 05:09

I can't wait to see this pistol. I have held an RMR onto the top of one of my Hi Powers slides and it is so much wider that I can see how I could make it work. So I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this.

thegreyman
04-02-19, 07:01
We are making stuff...

We have some sa85mP coming in as pistols soon.

Who will distribute pistols?

prdubi
04-02-19, 07:26
Haven't found anyone yet.

But I'm using an importer in Oregon and bringing samples myself direct from Hungary including a SVD Dragunov made by FEG.

NWPilgrim
04-02-19, 09:32
Ditto on eliminating hammer bite. I bubba chopped my ring hammer into a spur and then got rid of the bit. A slightly extended beaver tail would allow any type of hammer.

Dovetailed front and rear sights that take some standard size would be great. The small fixed sights and the massive hammer bite were the only drawbacks on my FEG HP. Without the mag safety the trigger is very acceptable. Fantastic value.

Looking forward to what you can bring in from FEG!

1911-A1
04-02-19, 11:42
Who has these in stock? I couldn't find any in a web search.

Arik
04-02-19, 12:51
Who has these in stock? I couldn't find any in a web search.The FEG? No one stocks them they're no longer imported. DWJIMPORTS on GB has a few HiPowers but all their stuff is Israeli surplus if that matters to you

Tokarev
04-02-19, 13:00
Who has these in stock? I couldn't find any in a web search.Century Arms brought in some FEG guns. I believe these were all Israeli surplus. If you search gunbroker for P9M or PJK-9HP you should find some.

DWJ Imports, as already mentioned, is also a good source. I don't see anything listed by him currently. Maybe he's out of stock or has Global surplus dried up?

jsbhike
04-02-19, 15:59
That should be pretty nifty.

One small suggestion if you don't mind. Add a bit more tang to the back of the frame. Not full-on beavertail as done by the custom shops but rather something with just enough length to help cure hammer bite.

And thin out the back of the grip so it is the same profile as an FN Hi Power...flush with grip panels at the rear instead of standing proud.

jsbhike
04-02-19, 16:11
This pistol started life as a used but mostly unmodified PJK-9HP. I bought it used from a fellow who also bought it used. History and round count is unknown although the pistol didn't have much finish wear internally or externally.

The gun had been modified a little from stock. Someone had pulled the mag safety out along the way. The hammer had also been replaced with a spur hammer instead of the ring hammer the FEG guns came with. Maybe the spur hammer is original? I don't think I've ever seen another FEG with a spur hammer but I'm certainly not an expert on these guns or their various configurations.

I sent it to The Action Works awhile back to have the feedramp polished, safety and sear engagement corrected, new sights installed and a matte refinish. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. I had briefly thought about replacing the grips but have decided to stick with what I've got. The FEG grips give the gun a nice classic look.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/581906bcf603692263a12147082ea7a7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/c76f80d9f4a6ee65c520c9c7d07a26dd.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/a6d9575456839a8cfa857d36c53693b1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/b8d38e82cdd51840691283e1fea4f84a.jpg

I don't recall seeing an FEG without a ring hammer including the Charles Daly models. In fact, it may just be the camera angle, but yours looks just a little different from a Mk II/III spur that makes me suspect the bottom of the ring was milled off.

Tokarev
04-02-19, 17:23
I don't recall seeing an FEG without a ring hammer including the Charles Daly models. In fact, it may just be the camera angle, but yours looks just a little different from a Mk II/III spur that makes me suspect the bottom of the ring was milled off.It is not a re-shaped ring.

I don't know for certain but believe it is a factory FN spur hammer that's been shortened by a 1/4 inch. There's definitely evidence of some file work back there.

This wasn't something Don did. It was already that way when I bought the gun. Whoever took the mag safety out likely also switched out the hammer and shortened the spur.

jsbhike
04-02-19, 17:29
It is not a re-shaped ring.

I don't know for certain but believe it is a factory FN spur hammer that's been shortened by a 1/4 inch. There's definitely evidence of some file work back there.

This wasn't something Don did. It was already that way when I bought the gun. Whoever took the mag safety out likely also switched out the hammer and shortened the spur.

That would explain the slightly different look then. If they had to take some off the spur I bet the ring would have been splattering blood. ;)

Tokarev
04-02-19, 17:36
That would explain the slightly different look then. If they had to take some off the spur I bet the ring would have been splattering blood. ;)The spur hammers never bothered me but the ring hammers... Yikes!

Usually the other part of the gun that gets me is the bottom left edge of the slide. The slide itself or the pointed edge of the safety notch can really take a bite if I'm not paying attention.

Tokarev
04-02-19, 19:49
yours looks just a little different from a Mk II/III spur...

Here are a couple shots of the spur itself. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/76d5f8e427d3fae1427c19fc75aa5a8e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/54435a426c6492eccf2e3a5ecf8a12ee.jpg

glocktogo
04-03-19, 13:46
That should be pretty nifty.

Agreed. Something akin to the Wilson Combat "Concealment" beavertail for 1911's, which is much more minimalist than standard beavertails. Just enough to prevent hammer bite and nothing more. Add that and I'd be a buyer.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beavertail-Grip-Safety-Concealment-Bullet-Proof-Blue/productinfo/563B/

Sam
04-03-19, 14:27
Hammer Bite - PINCH

On my observation with the factory Hi Power is that the hammer spur is not the culprit in the "bite". In a hasty grab for the gun as in drawing from the holster at speed AND at the same time trying to achieve the highest grip possible, the flesh (webbing) between the thumb and index finger tends to creep up above the factory frame tang. The bigger the hand the more this will happen. The web of the hand gets caught between the top surface of the tang and the bottom side of the hammer stalk (I really don't know what this part of the hammer is called). It's not the spur that gets your hand. The web is caught where I showed the red arrow, the tip of the arrow.

https://i.imgur.com/DimRoi7.jpg

I played with a couple of factory HP and this was what I observed. Some people say that the HP doesn't bite them, that's true for me as well IF I carefully grip the gun and consciously avoid gripping my hand as high as possible on the gun. But this is counter intuitive to the way I've been trained and how I shoot. To achieve the best recoil management and control on the gun, one has to grip high AND on pistols with thumb safety (1911 and HP), ride the thumb safety. Riding the thumb safety with the thumb aggravate the pinch.

I've seen some gunsmiths solution to the hammer pinch by relieving the underside of the hammer (where I showed the arrow tip). I'm sure Mr. Williams offer this modification as well. Cylinder and Slide in fact offers a "no bite" hammer for the HP:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0197

Notice the relieved area in the picture in the link above.

gaijin
04-03-19, 15:03
^^Exactly.

Perhaps not everyone, but a lot of people are bit by the hammer SHANK, not the extended spur.
The web of my hand would get pinched to the point of blood blisters with my high hold- which is NOT conducive to accuracy.
I’ve used C&Ss “no bite” hammers which work- and I’ve slightly bobbed the spur and thinned down the shank on OEM hammers which worked as well.

Tokarev
04-03-19, 18:09
I haven't had good luck with the C&S no bite. Still bites....

jsbhike
04-04-19, 09:58
Hammer Bite - PINCH

On my observation with the factory Hi Power is that the hammer spur is not the culprit in the "bite". In a hasty grab for the gun as in drawing from the holster at speed AND at the same time trying to achieve the highest grip possible, the flesh (webbing) between the thumb and index finger tends to creep up above the factory frame tang. The bigger the hand the more this will happen. The web of the hand gets caught between the top surface of the tang and the bottom side of the hammer stalk (I really don't know what this part of the hammer is called). It's not the spur that gets your hand. The web is caught where I showed the red arrow, the tip of the arrow.

https://i.imgur.com/DimRoi7.jpg

I played with a couple of factory HP and this was what I observed. Some people say that the HP doesn't bite them, that's true for me as well IF I carefully grip the gun and consciously avoid gripping my hand as high as possible on the gun. But this is counter intuitive to the way I've been trained and how I shoot. To achieve the best recoil management and control on the gun, one has to grip high AND on pistols with thumb safety (1911 and HP), ride the thumb safety. Riding the thumb safety with the thumb aggravate the pinch.

I've seen some gunsmiths solution to the hammer pinch by relieving the underside of the hammer (where I showed the arrow tip). I'm sure Mr. Williams offer this modification as well. Cylinder and Slide in fact offers a "no bite" hammer for the HP:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0197

Notice the relieved area in the picture in the link above.

I have had that happen with a .22LR PPK copy(have heard that design is another common buyer) and I can see how it would get some people on the Hi Power also. In my case, milling the lower half of the rowel off ended the injury.

I have always wondered why the hammer on several pistols got left the way they did (never tried an original M1911, but obvious how that would go) because I don't have huge hands and still get nailed. Another odd one is the Argentine Sistema 1927 which is mostly M1911A1(which doesn't bite me) but thru left the underside of the hammer sharp so a magazine of.45 left me with a corresponding bloody cut.

Tokarev
04-05-19, 17:26
FN changed from the ring to the spur hammer in the 1970s but that's as far as they ever went with a non-bite design. It probably wasn't really even an issue for the masses until 15-20 years ago when people started getting away from the low thumbs grip and started migrating to the more modern "flying thumbs" grip. FN isn't the only company to ignore getting bit. People have been complaining about Glock slide bite for years but Glock didn't do anything until the Gen4 guns and the pin-on backstrap.

Any modern new-to-market Hi Power should take the high thumbs grip into consideration and have a slightly elongated beavertail. I recently picked up one of the TISAS stainless guns and was immediately and painfully reminded of how bad the original ring hammer and short grip tang can pinch. Thankfully the hammer had already been changed out on my FEG.

RetroRevolver77
04-05-19, 18:51
My friend bought two of the Israeli surplus FN Hi Power's and sent them to that place you sent yours to. He asked me about FEG's since I have owned a few and still have one now. Told him that they have the best trigger reset of any of the Hi Power variants I've owned. Excited to see that FEG is going to be importing again, hopefully we see some AK's and perhaps some updated polymer Hungarian AK furniture.

Tokarev
04-07-19, 21:17
Here's something that might be of interest to you FEG fans:

DECODING THE FÉG HI-POWER

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKB3LXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4WKQCbHZAS9HW

jsbhike
04-07-19, 21:56
Has anything definitive came out on the FEG/FN counterfeit pistols? Saw bits and pieces a few years back when a lot of Israeli surplus pistols came in, but not much since then.

Tokarev
04-07-19, 22:21
Has anything definitive came out on the FEG/FN counterfeit pistols...

I don't think there's been anything definitively written about them. It seems they were made to get around an arms embargo but that might just be someone's guess.

Cole's sold quite a few of these and still a few more that were FEG frames with FN slides or vice a versa.

Anyway, it seems the counterfit guns might have had an L serial number prefix. Mach 1 Arsenal had one listed on gunbroker recently and I was going to post a link but can't find it. It must have already sold.

Tokarev
05-08-19, 06:03
There is a fellow on gunbroker selling imported surplus pistols under the name DWJ Imports. He routinely lists the FEG pistols for sale. I believe most of the guns he has are coming in from Israel.

Anyway, I sent him an email asking if he had any info on the various serial prefixes and styles. I told him I'd seen FEG pistols with A and B serial prefix letters as well as G. In my limited experience the A and B guns are all FN clones. The G guns might have FN pattern lockup or S&W pattern lockup with no way to tell other than to pull the slide off and look at the barrel and spring. I also asked him if he knew anything about the FEG guns with FN markings.

Here's what he said:

We have imported a few thousand FEG "Hi-Power" clones in the last 5-7 years. No short answer on the FEG models. I have seen A,B,C,E,G,L and T prefixes along with straight numerical serials. Besides the "G" prefix series which has the S&W barrel system... I have also seen "L" and "B" prefix pistols with the S&W barrel system as well as the FN system. The best / only way is to see the barrel lockup to be sure. The PJK-9HP and P9 marked pistols are FN pattern. The P9M had both FN/FEG systems... I have seen them with my own eyes. FEG did produce FN pattern pistols with counterfeit FN markings and proof marks - we have seen hundreds of them. Some were VERY good copies and others were not. IMO this was done to make money on FN's name/quality - nothing more.

To my knowledge - there was absolutely NO collaboration between FN and FEG to produce pistols. Hope this helps.

Bret
05-22-19, 22:13
Here's a HiPower that Don at the Action Works did for me eight years ago.
Before:
https://i.postimg.cc/7L1JBLtq/85-Alloy-Hi-Power.jpg

After:
https://i.postimg.cc/FRDd4BQq/Alloy-Hi-Power-right-view.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/wMMtTQqB/Alloy-Hi-Power-left-view-disassembled.jpg

Note that it's one of the FN HiPowers that has an aluminum frame. It's finished in hard chrome. Most people say that you can't hard chrome aluminum, but you can. It just has to be nickel plated first.

AKDoug
05-22-19, 23:44
Here's a HiPower that Don at the Action Works did for me eight years ago.

Note that it's one of the FN HiPowers that has an aluminum frame. It's finished in hard chrome. Most people say that you can't hard chrome aluminum, but you can. It just has to be nickel plated first.

I have an aluminum framed Commander that was hard chromed. They coated it in copper first. The finish has been tough as nails for over 30 years.

Tokarev
06-22-19, 17:34
Here's a FÉG that was quite fully worked over by Novak's. It looks like about the only thing missing is a fitted match barrel.
Not my pistol but it does give me some ideas for a future build.

I find builds like this quite interesting. Someone liked the Hungarian gun enough to have an extensive amount of work done to it even though it is unlikely the money spent could ever be recovered.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/aaffebda03f7cb4aab0b9c23dc5df3ae.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/336002f2c144a6c79bd199dd2a9bf285.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/828b11c2e215ec325eadc490fb224b4c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/95f95f16ef2103a1cb41647a7f4414ac.jpg

prdubi
06-29-19, 10:00
Here are some samples of NOS Fegs we have and will import again.

Long slide competition PM9LS

We have 200 of these and will be imported soon.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190629/546171d06b188d10f484f274fb192270.jpg

Tokarev
06-29-19, 10:14
Definitely on for one (or two) of these!

Pappabear
06-29-19, 10:22
This is the one pistol I do not own that is on my bucket list. I keep looking off and on but one day, just one day I will get one. Congrats on the new piece.

PB

Tokarev
07-05-19, 19:54
This is the one pistol I do not own that is on my bucket list. I keep looking off and on but one day, just one day I will get one. Congrats on the new piece.

PBA FEG in particular or a Hi Power in general?