PDA

View Full Version : AR paint project

docholliday
11-08-08, 12:15
I finally decided to paint the AR. Not a real elaborate job, but it won't stick out quite as bad as all black. Let me know what you think. I used Krylon khaki, OD, and brown. Khaki base coat then I draped a mesh laundry bag over it and dusted w/ the brown and green.

Surf
11-08-08, 14:10
Breaking up the black is always good. Nice job.

One small critique. A person who is good at looking for a shooters position will immediately pick out the big black circle of the scope. The black and the perfect circle is very unnatural in nature and sticks out like a sore thumb. Yes, vegetation, taping off the front etc can break it up but I would definitely finish up the rest of the black area's especially around the front of the scope. You also need to be aware of the inner edge of the scopes shade tube area.

docholliday
11-09-08, 00:53
I might have to get out a brush and touch up those areas at least to break up the edge. I didn't want to risk getting paint on the glass so I taped it off, good point though. After setting the gun down in a field and walking away I realized how much a black rifle stands out, so my main goal was to cut down the difference. It still may not "disappear" in the backround but at least its not quite as obvious. By the way do I have to have a certain number of posts to get the pictures to show up in the post instead of a link?

nicholst55
11-09-08, 04:28
It looks quite serviceable. Sometimes it's amazing how simple it is to break up the outline of an object with camo!

A easy way to overcome the 'dreaded black hole' of the scope objective is to rubber band some appropriate colored gauze over it. Cut an 'X' or a slit in the gauze and you can sight through it. I'd take regular white gauze and hit it with some Krylon and go from there.

texasrangers
11-09-08, 13:21
I want to do the same thing to a tapco sks...where did you buy your supplies?

docholliday
11-10-08, 01:13
I used Krylon Fusion camo/ultra flat paints available at any walmart and most hardware stores, and a simple mesh laundry bag.