PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Discovery

WillBrink
04-01-19, 15:23
So I finally watched the first few episodes of this latest Star Trek spin off. While the visuals/CGI are truly gorgeous, the plot and such was lame. Eye rolling scenes too numerous to count, like even Kirk had probes to go look at mysterious objects and such. While realism per se was never a strong point of Star Trek, this series was not off to a good start for me. That is to say, would I pay $ to see if it gets better? No. Even as cute as Sonequa Martin-Green is, still no. If it were free on the network, sure, I'd probably watch it if for no other reason to get my Star Trek/Sci Fi fix and see if it improves, but as is, nope... C+/B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6eoD9rQHL4

Doc Safari
04-01-19, 15:25
I watched the very first one before it went "streaming only" or whatever CBS did to it.

I understand the scuttlebutt is that the fan hate is strong with this one. Some people are really, really pissed off at it.

WillBrink
04-01-19, 15:30
I watched the very first one before it went "streaming only" or whatever CBS did to it.

I understand the scuttlebutt is that the fan hate is strong with this one. Some people are really, really pissed off at it.

What's the hate about? From what i saw, it's just not good enough to charge for as they are. Sonequa Martin-Green sure is cure doh..

Firefly
04-01-19, 15:39
No sith lords, no bikini armor, no starships on fire off the shoulder of orion, and no droids....

Doc Safari
04-01-19, 15:47
What's the hate about? From what i saw, it's just not good enough to charge for as they are. Sonequa Martin-Green sure is cure doh..

I can't remember specifically. I watched several YouTube videos a few weeks ago. Go to YouTube and type in "Star Trek Discovery hate".

JulyAZ
04-01-19, 16:57
As an avid ST fan, STD season 1 is lame, but I watched it through. I was really disappointed in season 1, it never felt like “trek”.

Season 2 however makes leaps and bounds and actually feels like you’re watch a Star Trek Show. The season 2 episode New Eden in particular is as good as any episode of Star Trek ive seen in the past across any of the series.

It’s worth powering through. It’s finding it’s footing however still not my preferred trek, but I will take it over ST: Enterprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmac
04-01-19, 17:14
Most bizarre story line I've seen in a Star Trek franchise. Even more bizarre than Deep Space 9. And I confess I'm getting really weary of the protagonist's ongoing overwhelming angst.

I would rather watch The Orville. Which, IMHO, is not too bad. Certainly not what I was expecting from a Seth McFarland show.

docsherm
04-01-19, 17:21

I know some hard core Trekkies and they are on the edge of boycotting the whole franchise if they don't get rid of that "Abomination", as they call it. I like ST, even DS9..... but after seeing the previews I won't waist my time with this show.

The_War_Wagon
04-01-19, 17:51
Nope. Not gonna do it.

I'll watch ST: TMP (I can watch it at 9 in the morning - I'll STILL fall asleep during the V-ger scene... :alcoholic:) and ST V - back to back - for years on end - before I watch CBS's screwup.

BMWguy206
04-01-19, 18:15
I'm a big Star Trek fan and didn't like Season 1 too much but Season 2 is so much better.

Big A
04-02-19, 07:20

If you wanna know why die hard Trekies don't like this show go to YouTube and watch some videos from the following channels:
Overlord DVD
Nerdrotic
MechaRandom42

It mostly has to do with the writing, the Mary Sueness of Michael Burnum Spock, and the tearing down of TOS characters like Pike and Spock.

When I saw the original promo for the show I knew what direction they were going to take it and gave it a hard pass.

3ACR_Scout
04-02-19, 10:09
Seasons 1 and 2 just showed up on Netflix. I didn’t know they were planning to offer it. Kind of weird because the opening credits state that it’s a Netflix original series. I hadn’t wanted to sign up for CBS and just kind of wrote the show off, hoping it would be available eventually through one of the services that we already pay for. I watched the first four episodes in the last 24 hours. Not my favorite series so far, but I’m entertained enough to keep watching.

Doc Safari
04-02-19, 10:12
My main beef having only seen the first episode before it went streaming is that they've changed the Klingons into something totally unrecognizable.

WillBrink
04-02-19, 10:21
Seasons 1 and 2 just showed up on Netflix. I didn’t know they were planning to offer it. Kind of weird because the opening credits state that it’s a Netflix original series. I hadn’t wanted to sign up for CBS and just kind of wrote the show off, hoping it would be available eventually through one of the services that we already pay for. I watched the first four episodes in the last 24 hours. Not my favorite series so far, but I’m entertained enough to keep watching.

If on NF, maybe it will show up on Prime. I'd watch it then, but not willing to pay yet more $ to view it from what I saw.

jpmuscle
04-02-19, 16:16
I’m not seeing this anywhere on Netflix??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulyAZ
04-02-19, 17:02
I’m not seeing this anywhere on Netflix??

It’s only on Netflix outside the US.

jpmuscle
04-02-19, 17:08
It’s only on Netflix outside the US.

Wtf kinda commie bs is that?

Whiskey_Bravo
04-02-19, 17:38
Wtf kinda commie bs is that?

Here I believe you have to pay for CBS streaming or some bs like that. I'll pass.

lowprone
04-02-19, 20:12
Nyet !

Ron3
04-04-19, 12:40
Tried it, hated it.

The Orville is FAR more entertaining IMO. It's much closer to what "Star Trek" cannon, is, too. With more humor, of course.

It's on Fox. Tonight at 9p. EST, too. Middle-end of 2nd season.

WillBrink
04-04-19, 15:05
Tried it, hated it.

The Orville is FAR more entertaining IMO. It's much closer to what "Star Trek" cannon, is, too. With more humor, of course.

It's on Fox. Tonight at 9p. EST, too. Middle-end of 2nd season.

It's hit or miss. I try to think of it as an homage to Star Trek vs a blatant rip off, but it's difficult at times. Basically it's Next Generation meets Family Guy. Like Discovery, I would not pay extra $ to watch it.

Ron3
04-05-19, 09:53
It's hit or miss. I try to think of it as an homage to Star Trek vs a blatant rip off, but it's difficult at times. Basically it's Next Generation meets Family Guy. Like Discovery, I would not pay extra $ to watch it.

Pretty good synopsis.

ramairthree
04-05-19, 13:47
So, how do you even watch the show.
I am cool with setting the TV to record a series.
I can do Prime.
Or Netflix.
I have finally even started to acknowledge my wife has Hulu and there is stuff on there.
We even have movies on ITunes and some other programs that let you have a digital copy when you bought a DVD or Blu-ray.

Why in the world do the networks think we want to have even more digital accounts.

Doc Safari
04-05-19, 14:37
Why in the world do the networks think we want to have even more digital accounts.

That's the new trend. People are cutting the cable for multiple streaming subscriptions. I've actually been reading that it's becoming an issue with credit card companies and multiple automatic payments every month. I'm trying to find that article again and I'll post the link if I do. I can't remember if it was on Zero Hedge or something else but one issue is that some people subscribe to so many streaming services that their credit card bill is getting to be a burden every month.

ramairthree
04-05-19, 17:54
That's the new trend. People are cutting the cable for multiple streaming subscriptions. I've actually been reading that it's becoming an issue with credit card companies and multiple automatic payments every month. I'm trying to find that article again and I'll post the link if I do. I can't remember if it was on Zero Hedge or something else but one issue is that some people subscribe to so many streaming services that their credit card bill is getting to be a burden every month.

Yeah, I have zero interest in having a dozen different accounts.

I thought the whole point of cutting cable was watching Amazon’s prime free stuff, not swapping a single cable bill for a dozen paid streaming services.

I am especially not seeing how someone with a network on cable wants to pay extra for a streaming service for that network.

ramairthree
04-13-19, 11:17
And one of my kids was just telling me Disney is going to start having Star Wars shows on pay for streaming only.

I guess I am just old.
I was cool with Netflix.
I was cool with adding prime.
I didn’t even know my wife had added Hulu.
And YouTube wants to add in as a streaming service.

But I am done.
No way I am adding a network streaming to watch a Star Trek show, plus adding Disney streaming to watch a Star Wars show, plus, plus plus etc.

I don’t understand the marketing strategy.

Ron3
04-14-19, 22:28
And one of my kids was just telling me Disney is going to start having Star Wars shows on pay for streaming only.

I guess I am just old.
I was cool with Netflix.
I was cool with adding prime.
I didn’t even know my wife had added Hulu.
And YouTube wants to add in as a streaming service.

But I am done.
No way I am adding a network streaming to watch a Star Trek show, plus adding Disney streaming to watch a Star Wars show, plus, plus plus etc.

I don’t understand the marketing strategy.

I only have basic cable. If the wife is ever cool with cutting that it's gone, too. But she's not ready yet.

I think I'd be fine with internet, cell phones, and over-the-air free broadcast TV channels.