PDA

View Full Version : I’m at a crossroads

thepatriot2705
04-01-19, 23:47
I need some advice from some you all. I’m a 27 year old millennial working a corporate job. I recently took a second job where my coworker is an ex AF Pararescue jumper. Since working with him, I have questioned some decisions in my past. In college, I was in Air Force ROTC with the goal of becoming a fighter pilot. I was a highly motivated cadet for the first year but slowly became demotivated. I ended up dropping 1.5 years in. A lot of this stemmed from the fact that I wanted a “normal” life. I never had a lot of friends and I wanted to be like everyone else. I declared as a business major and went about my business. Completed my undergrad at 23. MBA by time I was 25. Been in a corporate environment for the past couple years. I don’t neccesarily dislike it, but I feel there is something bigger than me that I should be doing. It also has taken me years of intense self reflection to get my head on straight without seeing a shrink and without going on dope.

Given the fact that I’m 27, my preferred military options are tight. My ideal roles are either a pilot or Pararescue. Pararescue’s motto “so that others may live” rings deeply with me. Sure, flying jets seems like a thrill and my dream job since I was a kid. But being on the ground with highly motivated and highly trained men is immensely appealing to me. I’ve always been one to stick my neck out for others and put myself in somewhat dangerous situations. (I’ve helped over 5 dozen people change tires on the side of the highway over the past 8 years. Intervened on the behalf of 4 girls in college when a random car started harassing them at 3 in the morning...story for a different day).
Long story short, I think I would exemplify that motto.

My hang ups right now are
1) age. Would likely need a waiver and I won’t be 100% physically fit for 6-12 months. (Swim is weak and recovering from athletic related injury last year)
2) situation. Are these feelings because I don’t have the career and life I dreamed of? (I like my job for the most part...it just seems like there is more out there)
3) political climate. This country is tearing itself apart. Why defend the country and constitution from foreign enemies when our own people are going after various amendments, trying to abolish the electoral college, etc.

I don’t even know what to ask directly. I’m completely lost in life as I’m well educated and still have multiple options I can pursue.
1) could go back to business school and get a second MBA which might land me on my dream corporate gig
2) join the military in some capacity
3) settle with my situation and live a middle class life (I’ve never been one to settle and always push myself.)

prepare
04-02-19, 03:26
Service requires sacrifice. True service isn't about being batman though and much of the time it doesn't "feel" good and there's no immediate gratification, reward, or even notice. So check your motivations and intent. Doing some soul searching to determine/decide what you value (not what society values) and doing what is meaningful to you. Life questions can certainly be tough.

Wake27
04-02-19, 03:54
People in this country will always seem to be trying to tear it apart, that shouldn’t affect anyone’s choice to join the military unless you’re also considering LE. You have to figure out which you want though, and work very hard for it. The paths to pilot and SOF are very different but if you wash out of either, you’ll probably be stuck in a job that makes you feel the same way you do now, because most jobs in the military are not very adventurous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark5pt56
04-02-19, 05:49
Join the reserves and go back to school.

Bulletdog
04-02-19, 09:55
Your story is hauntingly familiar... That pretty much sums up how I felt and what I did prior to finding my niche.

Given what you've explained above, I don't see how you'll ever be "happy" as a cog in the corporate wheel.

Here is an idea that may help: When I was in college and getting more and more frustrated with stupid classes and subjects that had nothing to do with my major and eventual intended career, I went to a counselor. I picked her at random out of about 100 counselors that served my stated major at my large college. I explained the "problem" and she took a different tactic. She started asking me about my hobbies and jobs. Through this line of questioning she referred me to a different college that I would never have found on my own that related to my interests. This led to my current career that I would never have even thought of if it hadn't been for that woman on that one pivotal day. I'm typing this right now while on the job. I'm in a fancy Harrah's hotel in a resort here in CA and getting paid to be here. Getting paid stupid amounts of money for an easy and fun job doing something I love doing.

My point: What do you love? What are your hobbies and interests? Can you find a fulfilling career doing something that appeals to you? Something that you love? I've met many people who have a job that they hate, but they do it so that they can pay for the things they enjoy in whatever small amount of free time the job allows. Most of these people are pretty miserable and from where I'm sitting they do not seem "fulfilled". I wonder what will run through their mind as they lay on their death bed at the end of their life. My mother and father both fall into this category. So sad. A life mostly wasted. Me on the other hand: For two decades, I've been saying that if I die tomorrow, I will have lived a full life and done everything I wanted to do. I'll have no regrets. Nothing missing. I started falconry a few years ago and couldn't be happier with it. My current career makes new things like this easy and possible. I've discovered many new things like this over the years and had the time, freedom and finances to pursue whatever I want. Like you, I take great pleasure in helping others. I also help people on the side of the road and help old ladies safely get to their cars in an icy parking lot, and help load the heavy bags. Like you, I won't tolerate innocents getting harassed or accosted. Those things aren't part of my job, but they are still part of who I am as I travel the world.

I hope that looking at this through the eyes of the people who reply to your thread here will give you some food for thought and maybe take you in the right direction. I hope you figure out what you are looking for, and then find it! Good luck to you.

Firefly
04-02-19, 10:05
You could always be a paramedic

Pappabear
04-02-19, 10:19
I don't see how getting another MBA would land your dream job, but if you care to share....and if it would work, then go for it. You can still help others on nights and weekends.

I agree with others you can you do a lot to help other people while carrying on with a "regular" job. I think military service is a great option, but usually for people with fewer opportunities than you. And with your age and health condition, getting the dream job in the military could be tuff. Many a many of men and women went into the military to help others and left without fulfilling their dreams. Sad but true.

I have no idea what your chances are in the military, but just consider what the various outcomes could be vs what is your dream. Go see a recruiter or better recruiterS, and see what they say. Talk to people that have done the jobs you think you want. You are smart to be doing some soul searching and asking a lot of questions. Right now continue that research and research and research before you do anything rash.

Best of luck.

PB

docsherm
04-02-19, 10:26

This...... but clarify something, You have a MBA and want another one? Like with a focus in something else?

The_War_Wagon
04-02-19, 10:40

Have you considered the seminary, my son?

If you're a Protestant who'll baptize a baby, you can join as a military chaplain up to age 42. If you're Catholic, they'll take you at ANY age or medical condition! And prior (reserve or active) service will get you promoted faster, in what is admittedly a VERY slow to promote zone of consideration.

Wake27
04-02-19, 11:02
If he wants adventure, the reserves/guard will likely be an even worse route.

docsherm
04-02-19, 11:03

Why so you say that? Have you been in either?

thepatriot2705
04-02-19, 11:12
In response to the second MBA:
I would be pursuing a second MBA at a top tier business school with the goal of landing in investment banking.

As for my interest...well that’s a problem.
It’s shorter to list what I’m not interested in. I enjoy chasing tornadoes, working on cars, building financial models, running, entrepreneurship, coding, etc. I often push myself to my limits and am always trying to learn new things.

As for my health, I’m in good shape. Currently training for a half marathon. Did a full last year but was plagued by IT band problems. My hips are slightly out of alignment which caused those issues but I’m working on fixing that.

Wake27
04-02-19, 11:20
Why so you say that? Have you been in either?

I wouldn’t have said it had I not been. National guard was by far the most miserable part of my career, so far. Sure, there may be some opportunities for cool jobs, but fewer than AD and likely none are as cool as their active counterparts.

As for my health, I’m in good shape. Currently training for a half marathon. Did a full last year but was plagued by IT band problems. My hips are slightly out of alignment which caused those issues but I’m working on fixing that.

If you’re in good enough shape to do that, why do you think it’ll take you 6-12 months to get in good enough shape to join the military?

thepatriot2705
04-02-19, 11:27
If you’re in good enough shape to do that, why do you think it’ll take you 6-12 months to get in good enough shape to join the military?

My hips are out of alignment (this can be fixed with PT). Nothing major, but it did result in some IT band issues last year. Running more than 3-4 days a week would likely cause reinjury.
And I’m not a strong swimmer.

Bulletdog
04-02-19, 12:17
As for my interest...well that’s a problem.
It’s shorter to list what I’m not interested in. I enjoy chasing tornadoes, working on cars, building financial models, running, entrepreneurship, coding, etc. I often push myself to my limits and am always trying to learn new things.

I don't see that as a problem. I see it as many many opportunities.

Do what you love, and you'll love what you do. I also had a million hobbies and interests. Sounds like the same as you. My passion has always been learning, doing, and mastering new stuff. Motocross, defensive shooting, precision shooting/bench rest, paintball, SCUBA and free-diving, RC cars, protection dog training and competition, Kenpo, etc... Since I can remember, I've always been drawn to animals. I started working in pet stores at age 14. That turned out to be where my career would take me. I looked at many other options, but none of those ended up working out. At one time I wanted to be a fireman, but I was told that my skin was the wrong color and they couldn't hire me. My job, hobbies and lifestyle all blend together now. I'm living the life I want to live and doing what I want to do. And making a good living doing it, while having a tremendous amount of fun and adventure. My only problems in life anymore are a wife that behaves like any normal woman, and a government that is now visiting tyranny upon me instead of serving me.

What do you love? What have you been drawn to since you were a kid? There is no wrong answer here.

docsherm
04-02-19, 12:25
I wouldn’t have said it had I not been. National guard was by far the most miserable part of my career, so far. Sure, there may be some opportunities for cool jobs, but fewer than AD and likely none are as cool as their active counterparts.

I have spend time in all three. And I had cool jobs in all of them and the NG and RES were fun. I looked forward to going to Weekend Drill and AT (Annual Training). It was cool. If you want to have fun, go enlisted into the RES or NG. If you are trying to use it for networking and to help your career go in as an officer.

It is all about your job and the unit. If you join the Army RES expecting to do anything cool and get into some Logistical unit it will not be fun at all, for that matter AD would not be either. Make sure that you talk to someone other than a recruiter. I know plenty of people that really like going to Drill and AT. The names of a unit can be drastically different then what they do. Like a combat engineer may sound cool but they may be Heavy and build roads and such.

It is just like selecting a Graduate program in school, do your research and figure out what you are going to do with it before you do any thing.

chuckman
04-02-19, 12:27

Not for pararescue. Those guys are on point and do you the lion's share of CONUS technical rescue.

prepare
04-02-19, 12:48
Your story is hauntingly familiar... That pretty much sums up how I felt and what I did prior to finding my niche.

Given what you've explained above, I don't see how you'll ever be "happy" as a cog in the corporate wheel.

Here is an idea that may help: When I was in college and getting more and more frustrated with stupid classes and subjects that had nothing to do with my major and eventual intended career, I went to a counselor. I picked her at random out of about 100 counselors that served my stated major at my large college. I explained the "problem" and she took a different tactic. She started asking me about my hobbies and jobs. Through this line of questioning she referred me to a different college that I would never have found on my own that related to my interests. This led to my current career that I would never have even thought of if it hadn't been for that woman on that one pivotal day. I'm typing this right now while on the job. I'm in a fancy Harrah's hotel in a resort here in CA and getting paid to be here. Getting paid stupid amounts of money for an easy and fun job doing something I love doing.

My point: What do you love? What are your hobbies and interests? Can you find a fulfilling career doing something that appeals to you? Something that you love? I've met many people who have a job that they hate, but they do it so that they can pay for the things they enjoy in whatever small amount of free time the job allows. Most of these people are pretty miserable and from where I'm sitting they do not seem "fulfilled". I wonder what will run through their mind as they lay on their death bed at the end of their life. My mother and father both fall into this category. So sad. A life mostly wasted. Me on the other hand: For two decades, I've been saying that if I die tomorrow, I will have lived a full life and done everything I wanted to do. I'll have no regrets. Nothing missing. I started falconry a few years ago and couldn't be happier with it. My current career makes new things like this easy and possible. I've discovered many new things like this over the years and had the time, freedom and finances to pursue whatever I want. Like you, I take great pleasure in helping others. I also help people on the side of the road and help old ladies safely get to their cars in an icy parking lot, and help load the heavy bags. Like you, I won't tolerate innocents getting harassed or accosted. Those things aren't part of my job, but they are still part of who I am as I travel the world.

I hope that looking at this through the eyes of the people who reply to your thread here will give you some food for thought and maybe take you in the right direction. I hope you figure out what you are looking for, and then find it! Good luck to you.

If you don’t mind saying, what’s your career?

Korgs130
04-02-19, 13:06

That maybe true for the National Guard or Army Reserves, but it’s not the case, based on my experience, for the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserves.

As for the OP, check your inbox.

CPM
04-02-19, 14:03
Everyone has an MBA now. They’re a dime a dozen. I just interviewed someone who when I asked why she decided to pursue her MBA her only answer was, “So my resume would be in front of others.” . Not, “I was interested in healthcare management.” or “I wanted to improve my business acumen.”

I’ll take someone who is personable, interesting, willing to learn, and has a little experience over someone who has an MBA all day.

Also, you’re not going to be a PJ when you’re a self described weak swimmer with injuries.

jack crab
04-02-19, 14:32
I don't know that I would want to be an E-2 (assuming a contract promotion) at age 27. Apart from the pay cut, painting rocks with an MBA may get old fast. You would be almost 10 years older than your peers. There may be some officer PJs, but I bet most are enlisted, probably 4-5 years younger, and PT studs.

Coming in as an O-1 or 2 at age 27 would not be as bad. However, bear in mind there are a lot of pilots but fewer pilots on flight status. There are any number of stories of service members who go through flight training, and then get assigned to the Uniform Review Board for 3 years awaiting a flying slot.

Recruiters can give you all sorts of contracts and guarantees of schools. Passing the school though is on you. If you don't pass your school, the service still owns you for the duration.

I've been both reserve and active, and officer and enlisted. In my experience, the reserves are something to do to enjoy all the things you miss about active duty, and to be reminded of all the reasons you left active duty.

Sam
04-02-19, 15:07
Every time someone mentions Crossroads, this pops in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A

Good luck to you man.

Korgs130
04-02-19, 15:48
Coming in as an O-1 or 2 at age 27 would not be as bad. However, bear in mind there are a lot of pilots but fewer pilots on flight status. There are any number of stories of service members who go through flight training, and then get assigned to the Uniform Review Board for 3 years awaiting a flying slot.

Recruiters can give you all sorts of contracts and guarantees of schools. Passing the school though is on you. If you don't pass your school, the service still owns you for the duration.

I've been both reserve and active, and officer and enlisted. In my experience, the reserves are something to do to enjoy all the things you miss about active duty, and to be reminded of all the reasons you left active duty.

While some UPT graduates have been "banked" in to non-flying jobs in the past, right now the USAF is suffering a pilot shortage. Undermanned by more than 2,000 pilots as of the beginning of the year. The plan is to train 1,500 pilots a year for the next 4 years. The AF hasn't trained that many per year in over 25 years. If anyone is interested in being an USAF pilot, your timing couldn't be better.

My experience flying in the ANG was extremely similar to flying on active duty. Exact same flying requirements, same deployment schedule etc. The only difference was that I had also had a civilian job. I essentially had 2 full time jobs working 15-17 days a month at the guard in addition to flying 10-14 days at my airline. About 2/3s of my ANG squadron were either full timers (AGR/Technician) or "guards bums" that weren't officially full time, but flew/worked enough days that they didn't need a civilian job. Right now a lot of ANG and USAFR squadrons are looking for qualified candidates to send to UPT.

arptsprt
04-02-19, 16:02
What I’m starting to realize is, none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. So many of us focus on shit and “things” that don’t matter. We all end up in the same place, it’s our individual journeys that are different and make us who we are.

Krazykarl
04-02-19, 21:08
You could always be a paramedic

Work 10 days a month? Use your education on a side job and make more money? Get paid to help people during their worst days? Something different every day? Work a job that people respect and admire? Get paid to workout?

Yes, paramedic/ firefighter fits all of those requirements.

opngrnd
04-02-19, 21:43
If you are fit, and willing to work, 27 is not all that old. I shipped to BCT at 25. (I'm a reservist.) A few things to keep in mind:

1- Whatever community you join, it becomes part of your lifestyle. I taught TKD part time and loved TKD until a service injury, and left TKD behind. It is worth it to me, and in my mind simply a small payment for what we have. (I still serve in my church.)
2- There is nothing wrong with dipping your toes in the water and finding out you are better suited for a different direction. I lost my abilities to do the combatives/martial arts to the degree I used to enjoy, but I now get to focus a fair amount as a paid shooter and train others, which I enjoy even more.
3- 27 isn't old. Laying your head down at night knowing you are doing your best, and that you are doing the right thing, gives a peace many do not possess.
4- Lastly, I recommend surrounding yourself with the type of people you wish to emulate, regardless of your career path.

God bless you, young man.

thepatriot2705
04-02-19, 22:17
Apologize about the delayed response. Two jobs and marathon/half marathon training keeps be busy.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and advice so far. Definitely some good points raised and a lot to reflect on. I did speak with an AF recruiter today and I have more time than I thought for the PJ route. I’m working on the flying route as well by working towards my private pilots license. In the mean time, I’m going to start working on a training program to meet and exceed the PAST standards. Even if the AF doesn’t pan out, can’t hurt to be in shape.

I think the biggest thing holding me back is my family. I know they will support whatever I decide, but the stress it would bring to my mother is a significant factor. my parents have sacrificed so much for me. I want them to be able to enjoy life as comfortably as possible as they close in on their retirement years.

One more thing before I sign off for the night. I feel a sense of duty to this country. There are more ways to serve your country than the military. When I hear 21 veterans a day commit suicide, I am appalled and often wonder what we could do better. I wonder if it’s better to try to do something for the men and women who sacrifice so much for this great country.

yoni
04-02-19, 23:59
I can't imagine being my age and wishing I had.

I have chase terrorist all over the world, I have a pension.

I own houses in Israel, Africa, Dominican Republic, USA, and maybe soon in Panama.

I speak multiple languages.

I am the CEO of one of the few companies of former Mossad.

My hand is in the game and I will never quit.

I have been blessed, I commanded and still command, some of the best lads on the face of the earth.

My best friends in the USA are formerly from a unit in the USA army that I think sill doesn't officially exist.

Or I could have been a doctor like my mother.

I think I chose wisely.

Regret is the worse punishment a man can have.

Caduceus
04-03-19, 06:37
Don't rule out Coast Guard, their whole job is SAR and interdiction, maintanence of waterways, ice breaking...

to be honest, I'm 40 and I just contacted them about their Auxillary. The irony is I was in the Navy for years and never did a damn thing worth writing home about. "Join the Navy, see the world" turned into "Join the Navy, see the East Coast." Yippee.

Firefly
04-03-19, 08:06
You know....

it seems like money isnt your motivator. I say go for it. All of it.

You might just make it.

Wake27
04-03-19, 09:19
You know....

You might just make it.

Agreed, I'm jealous that I can't say the same. I get your mom worrying about you, but if you don't have a wife and kids (+ dogs) to worry about, might as well do what you want.

thepatriot2705
04-03-19, 22:33
You know....

You might just make it.

It’s kinda of ironic. Money was my primary motivator for the longest time. I’ve come to realize that, given my competitive nature, I will never be happy and it will be a fruitless pursuit. There is more to life than just money. I’ve dreamt of flying for the longest time and have always felt a sense of duty and honor. There have been times that I haves screwed up and stained my honor as a human being. But I look back at all the negatives in my life and realize that I have never given up and always try to make myself better. Even when things hurt, I push forward. I ran a full 26.2 mile marathon last year with two bad IT bands and several other injuries. Regardless of my decision, I have even more respect for our service men and women, especially spec ops. The training and selflessness they exhibit is nothing short of superhuman.

thepatriot2705
04-03-19, 22:34
Agreed, I'm jealous that I can't say the same. I get your mom worrying about you, but if you don't have a wife and kids (+ dogs) to worry about, might as well do what you want.

I do have one cat (I swear he is part dog with how much he loves me....yes I know, I have a cat that’s not an asshole��)

pinzgauer
04-04-19, 08:08
I have a view into multiple kids heading down that path each year. Some thoughts:

- General consensus is you'll get fit (and have time to get fitter ) in basic if you head the Army route. And depending on your contract, airborne and other following schools will give you more time and fitness prep.

- PJ is a tough path... Friend's son was close to making it, swam like a fish. But would pass out holding his breath. Gotta be careful with your contract, wash out and they put you where they want in some cases.

- may want to look at an option 40 army contract. Friend's son is at the tail end of RASP. Still hard path, but less swimming dependence.

NWPilgrim
04-04-19, 11:35
If you like flying and adventure then I would recommend pursuing that route. There is an all around shortage of pilots and projected to get much worse in the next ten years. The aviation industry is very professional but also relaxed attitudes and friendly networking. You can go rotary or jet fixed wing, cargo and hauling, wildfire fighting, police, trainer, corporate charters, personal VIP, regional or international airline.

Not having been in the military but seen many family members serve I would NOT recommend it unless you are willing to serve no matter the job or where. It seems 90% boring, slogging and getting treated poorly, but chance of getting killed too. Are you willing to serve no matter who may be President, no matter how screwed up civilian leadership and military top brass are? No matter what job or location in the US or world? No matter whether “the people” appreciate your service or despise it? Basically are you willing to serve under the military’s terms and not yours? Millions have and there seems to be a unique camaraderie rarely found in civilian jobs. Try for what you want but be willing to live with what you get. All the more respect due to our service members!

The Air Force is hurting for pilots and although military flying does not translate directly to civilian flight jobs, it sure in hell doesn’t hurt to have any type of military flight experience.

Det-Sog
04-04-19, 13:07
Airline pilot here checking in... Well... Do SOMETING then. Maybe not flying, but something.

I got out of the Army and became a LEO. I loved it, but after 2-3 short years, realized that I did not want to be chasing hood rats when I would be in my 50s-60s. I always wanted to be a pilot. Since I came out of a trailer park in Texas, I had not been to college. So...

I started working all of the extra shifts and moonlight jobs that I could pull off to pay for flight ratings and flight time. I went ONE YEAR without a single day off at one point. I continued the LEO path also in case the flying did not work out. I took two years off from the flying because I met the wrong woman. Yeah, I know... I made Detective at the age of 28 and got my commercial pilots license three years later. I built as much time up as I could and started tossing resume's out everywhere. I landed a corporate turboprop job, which turned out to be a Lear-Jet operation. I then got picked up by a regional airline two years later. I kept my reserve commission as a LEO current for another 16 years while flying. Fast tracking... I'm now a wide-body trans-pac pilot for a major US airline. Point??? If I can do it... ANYONE can.

<--- Yes, I STILL miss being a LEO from time to time, but I'm glad I made the move. WARNING, if you go the pilot route, you will miss A LOT of time with your family. There will be times when you come home and your cat will wonder who you are. If it's not an a-hole now, it will be. Same for your kids... You will miss many B-days and holidays. The grass is always greener. Choose wisely. I WISH I could have gone the corporate MBA route as my wife did, but I can NOT sit in an office all day. I am an "in the field" kind of guy.

https://youtu.be/rNxz2hhSXuY

Achilles11B
04-04-19, 22:48
Do it.

I’m 36 years old, ex-Army, current EMT. I currently have an application in for St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, because I don’t want to be thinking how I would’ve been a good cop after it’s too late for me to do anything. It’s not too late for you, either. Go talk to a recruiter.

CPM
04-04-19, 23:58
If you wait until you’re ready, you’ll never go.

NWPilgrim
04-05-19, 11:55
If you wait until you’re ready, you’ll never go.

That is so true of all things in life worth pursuing: having a family, buying a first house, switching careers, asking a girl out, etc. It is good to be deliberate and prepared and not act recklessly. But, many times we have to act on instinct rather than have all the answers mapped out or else the window of opportunity passes.

You already have a good career you can fall back on if a career change does not work out as you hoped. If you are willing to accept whatever bad is involved for the chance of the adventure and fulfillment, then go for whatever inspires you. We can never anticipate all the future branches or paths an initial endeavor leads to, usually much better than could be planned. But if we don’t take that first risky step, none of it will unfold.

elephant
04-06-19, 17:19
My ideal roles are either a pilot or Pararescue. Pararescue’s motto “so that others may live” rings deeply with me.

I’ve always been one to stick my neck out for others and put myself in somewhat dangerous situations. (I’ve helped over 5 dozen people change tires on the side of the highway over the past 8 years. Intervened on the behalf of 4 girls in college when a random car started harassing them at 3 in the morning...story for a different day).
Long story short, I think I would exemplify that motto.

Helping people on the side of the road and rescuing SEALS behind enemy lines is a completely different ballgame.

My hang ups right now are
This country is tearing itself apart.Why defend the country and constitution from foreign enemies when our own people are going after various amendments, trying to abolish the electoral college, etc.

Because you get better parking at Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart and even a discount at various retail places for being active duty or veteran.

I don’t even know what to ask directly. I’m completely lost in life as I’m well educated and still have multiple options I can pursue.
1) could go back to business school and get a second MBA which might land me on my dream corporate gig
2) join the military in some capacity
3) settle with my situation and live a middle class life (I’ve never been one to settle and always push myself.)

1. An MBA might get you hired over a non MBA candidate, but not always for more money!

2. NO!

3. That's the same as going home with the fat girl after prom!

What makes you happy? What are the things that interest you? I struggled for years trying to find that "thing" thing that brought a sense of purpose and joy in my life. Being a Pararescue sounds sexy, so does the idea of flying a F-15E.

My advice, if you want to get into the corporate world, then harness your business skills to a niche area. Like helping companies grow or expand or helping them with strategic procurement an sourcing programs, build financial models for future growth and long term operational risk management, financial forecasting etc.,. That is what a lot of small - medium companies need is expertise in critical areas, especially a company that wants to grow. An MBA is not a specialty. Or you could specialize in being a interim manager that works with capitalizing a business or even winding down a business. By the way, the guys who are hired to wind down a business and restructure that business to sell, usually make around $15-20k/week. But you need to find a niche!

AKDoug
04-06-19, 21:14
Have you thought of being a firefighter? Decent pay, tons of time off to do another business, satisfying service to the community.

The_War_Wagon
04-06-19, 21:19
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/Moonlight062915.jpg

"Son... if I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes - THAT... would've been a tragedy."

I've done and seen some amazing things in almost 52 years; worked at some jobs most folks would consider MUCH more "exciting," than what I do now... but Doc Graham's words, are MY sentiments exactly.

I live vicariously by some of your stories here. I can ONLY imagine what it would've been like - to see the elephant, as some of you have - and live to tell about it. But I can't imagine NOT doing, what I'm doing now, until the day I can do no more. I can't wait to get up in the morning, and do what I do for a living. :cool:

To the OP: I hope you find your calling, and you do it as long as you can. When you find it, it won't even seem like work - you'll be amazed that someone actually PAYS you to do it. ;)

BIGUGLY
04-07-19, 09:51
Fire fighter....everyone loves a fire fighter. I mean who can come in and save a concrete foundation and be a hero.

I kid, I love my other side of the family IE hose draggers. After spending 14 years and counting in LEO and I'm 35 we have a good respect for each other at least in this part of the country.

There will be plenty of B.S. in any career but if fire fighting sounds good to you there are plenty of opportunities and if you get full time status you can have a good schedule and opportunities to work other jobs in your time off. Also most full time agencies have a pretty decent retirement system. getting in before your 30 means most likely retire with full benefits by mid 50's or earlier, which leaves you time to find another passion say screw it and fish, golf, goof off or disappear around the globe.

Best of luck. I have had those internal conversations myself and they can be a downer or something to strive for. I'm fairly fortunate that the spouse has a good job and makes a lot more than I do, she loves me for the healthcare since the pay can be a joke at times.

thepatriot2705
04-07-19, 20:30
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Since I was a child, I wanted to be a fighter pilot. I was well on the way in college, but lost motivation and tried to live other people’s lives instead of mine. Looking back, I regret that decision, but it’s not too late to try again. I’m going to follow my childhood dream and I’m going to try to be a USAF fighter pilot. Going to be talking to a recruiter this week hopefully.

Although I’m not happy with the direction of this country, good will prevail in the end and I feel a duty to this country and to give a chance for good to prevail. All it takes for evil to win is that good men do nothing.

Honu
04-07-19, 21:15
when I was in the FD (life long ago)
my LEO friend would say I knock on the door returning something that was stolen and I get 'WHAT DO YOU WANT"

you chainsaw the side of their house out dump everything on their now muddy drive and flood their house etc.. and you get cookies brought to you at the station the next day and hugs and kisses and thanks

Honu
04-07-19, 21:28
my dad was a fighter pilot in Korean war F86
he also did some test and teaching he got out later to go commercial
raced cars and other adrenaline junkie things when he was younger but like many pilots

I have had a insane life with no complaints ! its not where I want it to be today but also that is relative to what I was doing :)

I was making %1 kinda money and dumped it all to follow what I loved at 27 that made little but had again insane experiences around the world

you do get to the age at one point when you are so beat and battered and so many past things that have happened life slows down and for me that is the toughest thing I am facing but I have my family etc.. so more then makes up for it but its still tough for me at least and a few others I know feel the same

I say go for what you want in your heart that you love !!! because you might work your butt off to just do what you want to do a few weeks a year or live the life and I can say when you live the life of whatever you choose such as a pilot there is NOTHING you can pay or do to actually experience that ! sure you can be so wealthy to fly a fighter but you will have never been a fighter pilot and just like the brotherhood of those in various things that form viewing doing from the outside is never ever the same and IMHO that is part of the experience of life

interesting view cause sometimes it does take away the magic of what you thought it would be ! and keep your eyes open along the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIMu1PGbG-0