PDA

View Full Version : "Joker" teaser trailer is out, and I'm hooked!

TexHill
04-04-19, 23:56
https://youtu.be/t433PEQGErc

I just watched the trailer a few minutes ago, and I can't wait to see the movie! I'm not usually a Joaquin Phoenix fan, but it looks like he might have found his signature role. He may even unseat Heath Ledger as the quintessential Joker. The trailer is really dark and foreboding. Hopefully DC won't screw this up!

jpmuscle
04-05-19, 00:29
I’m cautiously optimistic it will be decent.

Idk, Heath Ledger is the [emoji238] for me so this will have to be very dark for me to sing it’s praise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jer
04-05-19, 08:51
Meh. I'm sure I'll watch it as I'm a sucker for this genre but it doesn't look like it will scratch that itch. I know that DC Universe is generally darker but this doesn't appear to be enthralling dark like the Dark Knight series was. This appears to be self indulgent and boring dark with Juaquinn Phoenix needlessly dancing around in his underwear for 1/4 of the movie.

I'd almost rather watch the Harley Quinn/Joker version from Suicide Squad.

I hope it's good but to echo what jpmuscle said; cautiously optimistic is about the best I can give it based on what I just saw.

Firefly
04-05-19, 08:56
itd be badass if he was in 'Nam and dropped out of chemistry school to take care of his mom and has his One Bad Day

See I think the more mundane yet tragic Jokers backstory is makes him the perfect counter to Batman.

TexHill
04-05-19, 09:07
Meh. I'm sure I'll watch it as I'm a sucker for this genre but it doesn't look like it will scratch that itch. I know that DC Universe is generally darker but this doesn't appear to be enthralling dark like the Dark Knight series was. This appears to be self indulgent and boring dark with Juaquinn Phoenix needlessly dancing around in his underwear for 1/4 of the movie.

I'd almost rather watch the Harley Quinn/Joker version from Suicide Squad.

I hope it's good but to echo what jpmuscle said; cautiously optimistic is about the best I can give it based on what I just saw.

I see something totally different. I see that for the first time we may get to see on screen a compelling telling of Joker's descent into insanity/depravity. I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board than watch Jared Leto as the Joker.

jpmuscle
04-05-19, 09:43
I don’t want there to be a descent into insanity.

I want him to be a sociopath from the get go. None of this victim crap. I want the laughing devil incarnate.

I want the guy who as a child we’re led to believe he tortured puppies, lit cats on fire, and stabbed other children for fun

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-05-19, 10:12
I see something totally different. I see that for the first time we may get to see on screen a compelling telling of Joker's descent into insanity/depravity. I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board than watch Jared Leto as the Joker.

I don’t want there to be a descent into insanity.

I want him to be a sociopath from the get go. None of this victim crap. I want the laughing devil incarnate.

I want the guy who as a child we’re led to believe he tortured puppies, lit cats on fire, and stabbed other children for fun

I'd rather see him made than just innately evil, but that is just me.

I agree on Leto as the Joker. He would be OK if there was no Heath version. Frankly, after the Ledger version, I doubted anyone would want to get close to that role. JP may just be the psycho to do it. Don't know what he is like normally or if that is CGI, but is he transformed himself like that for the role- kudos to that.

I'm in as long as the first reviews aren't total Dog crap.

Firefly
04-05-19, 10:35
I like to think there is never any one true joker. only one joker can exist but again, Joker has a multiple choice past.

Ledger's joker was a GWOT veteran
Nicholson's was a mobster
Romero's was vaudevillian
Hammil was like Romero and Nicholson
Leto was just gay and lame
but ALL tapped into the era of their time

I think Phoenix could capture that part of the 70s where it was post Vietnam and everything was kind of seedy.
I could see him as having been in Nam but put it behind him, loving his mom, wanting a family, economy in the shitter, trying to be funny in order to have fun but this was Malaise era America.

Just as Batman represents people who feel slighted but dont want to go full pumisher, Joker represents people who feel wronged but dont want to be held back.

Kinda Nietzschean really

TexHill
04-05-19, 10:38
All this banter back and forth on what we would like to see in this movie has made me realize what a truly unique character Joker really is, and how good a job his creators really did. We all hope to see something different out of this movie because Joker's origin has been presented in several different ways in the comics. Ledger brought this dichotomy out really well in "The Dark Knight" when he gave several different explanation for his scars.

jpmuscle
04-05-19, 10:45
I just want darkness. Cold ruthless darkness.

And doomsday. I like doomsday.

VARIABLE9
04-05-19, 10:51
Meh.

Whereas I do think JP may have some talent for playing certain roles, it’ll be hard to beat the HL version.

Toby N. Tucker: I don't think you know who I am. The name's Toby N. Tucker. People round here call me TNT. You know why?
Bobby Cooper: Because they're not very imaginative?
Toby N. Tucker: 'Cause I'm just like dynamite, boy, and when I go off, somebody gets hurt.

Firefly
04-05-19, 11:18
I just want darkness. Cold ruthless darkness.

And doomsday. I like doomsday.

i want Harley Quinn with hairy underarms and a Beretta M12

Doc Safari
04-05-19, 11:27
I want the Joker in a movie like Se7en. Then I will believe.

TexHill
04-05-19, 11:40
i want Harley Quinn with hairy underarms and a Beretta M12

https://imgur.com/a/kaVw8Zk

Firefly
04-05-19, 13:42
Anyone who doesnt like hair on a woman's body is spitting in the face of God and intelligent design

https://i.redd.it/c5iobzdqwkfx.jpg

lowprone
04-05-19, 14:19
Considering the great increase in mental illness in FUSA today, this should appeal to those
who's boat's have drifted too far from the shore.

BrigandTwoFour
04-05-19, 19:08
I'm honestly interested to see where it takes it. I almost get the impression that this is a play on Ledger's version and Alan Moore's take on things. In the clip below from "The Killing Joke," Joker (voiced by Mark Hamill) talks about alll it taking for normal people to end up like him is one bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvLlWh-guck

Perhaps the movie is about that bad day. Or series of days.

Another example, from Ledger's performance.

"I'm not a monster...I'm just ahead of the curve" at 2:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiXOectaT9U

Moose-Knuckle
04-07-19, 05:52
Womp, womp . . .

https://live.staticflickr.com/7807/32612548267_73ba0c6d02_b.jpg

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-07-19, 22:04
Looks dark and gritty. Between this and Rocketman, I finally have some 2019 flicks to look forward to.