PDA

View Full Version : Best mini RDS for a pistol?

ramairthree
04-06-19, 14:05
I have only been experimenting with RDS for a pistol for a couple of years.
The first two were designs not optimized for it, and I was using FF2s.

Those are no prizes, you have to take them off to change a battery.

I got a FF3 - which I still don’t find optimal because it goes off after a while when left on, and it has no draw/shake awake type feature. I don’t recall battery life.

I snagged a new gen 5 G19 MOS, to go with the plethora of gen2 19s and cut down 17s and first batch gen “2.5” G26 I have.

I threw on SH sights I can use for backup, had them dialed in nice. Put on my FF3 and it was near perfect without any adjustments. Then I started having issues with it shutting off during firing.

This is the kind of problem you are supposed to have with 50$ Chinese gun show RDS.

What is the consensus on current durable, non malfunctioning, great battery life, no button to push carry mini RDS at this time.

MountainRaven
04-06-19, 14:42
Deltapoint Pro and RMR are the go-tos for the pros. The RMR in particularly having recently gotten a SOCOM contract for pistol-mounted red dots.

I'm personally waiting for the Acro, I suspect it will largely render the DPP and RMR obsolescent.

Wake27
04-06-19, 15:23
Some people are fine with the DPP but the RMR is typically the only one that is not debated. Pretty sure there are plenty of recent posts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everready73
04-06-19, 20:04
RMR is the standard for a duty use gun.

Delta point pro offers a little less durability from what I have seen but larger window. One of the issues with it is it doesn't work well in rain the way the emmiter is set up according to Chuck Pressburg.

If you want to be any cheaper than that the Holosun 507c for $300 (less soon sale) seems to get good feedback

Check out Sage Dynamics YouTube channel. He had reviews on almost all of the pistol RDS

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-06-19, 23:19
Bought a CZ P10F just to put the ACRO on. Waiting...patiently....

MegademiC
04-07-19, 15:45
Rmr for carry. Durable, good in rain, small.
Im debating between another rmr ir a dpp for a competition gun myself.

Joe R.
04-07-19, 22:45
If you can be just a bit patient the Aimpoint ACRO P-1 will be available very soon. It was made from the ground up to be a slide mounted pistol optic and is the first optic that has been designed that way. It answers all the short comings of existing optics used for pistols IE: it has a closed emitter so no more water or dust/dirt blocking the emitter, it's waterproof to 25 meters, one year battery life and the battery can be changed without removing the optic from the gun so no loss of zero. These features along with Aimpoint's known dedication to quality should prove to be a winner.

Full disclosure, I work for Aimpoint as a Pro Staff member.

jpmuscle
04-07-19, 22:54
If you can be just a bit patient the Aimpoint ACRO P-1 will be available very soon. It was made from the ground up to be a slide mounted pistol optic and is the first optic that has been designed that way. It answers all the short comings of existing optics used for pistols IE: it has a closed emitter so no more water or dust/dirt blocking the emitter, it's waterproof to 25 meters, one year battery life and the battery can be changed without removing the optic from the gun so no loss of zero. These features along with Aimpoint's known dedication to quality should prove to be a winner.

Full disclosure, I work for Aimpoint as a Pro Staff member.

Hook me up with an ACRO

Please

[emoji854]

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-08-19, 01:14
Right now? RMR hands down. Future? The ACRO may set the standard. Time will tell.

Jesse H
04-10-19, 22:00
Aaron Cowan's paper on MRDS on pistols is a good read. Unfortunately his T&E was done prior to the Aimpoint being out.

Coal Dragger
04-10-19, 22:39
I am also awaiting the Aimpoint ACRO P-1, I plan to have one of the slides for my VP9 milled to mount it if possible. Probably do the long slide first, since it is proving to be quite accurate and it conceals just as well in my PHLster Floodlight holster as the stock length slide.

joedirt199
04-11-19, 06:41
They might be out there somewhere. A guy running in front of me at rockcastle run and gun had the new aimpoint on his glock. I found his rubber sight cover on the barb wire crawl obsticle. Didn't get a chance to look at it closely or ask him much about it.

Nowski87
04-11-19, 09:16
Aaron Cowan's paper on MRDS on pistols is a good read. Unfortunately his T&E was done prior to the Aimpoint being out.

This is a living document though so it will be changed/updated when he get an ACRO

Doc. Holiday
04-18-19, 22:43
Just to echo what everyone else has said. The RMR is the standard right now. The leupold has a decent runner up.

The ACRO is supposed to be the end all be all for RDS for pistols.

Does anyone know if the ACRO will mount to an RMR cut or does the slide have to be specifically milled for the ACRO?

Mr_Happy1
04-19-19, 00:22
I have an RMR 2 on a Gen 5 MOS. I have a little over 1,000 rounds through it. I really like it. I am planning on having my Gen 4 20 milled for an ACRO sometime this summer, depending on availability. I want it for the coming hunting season. I will feel better having an enclosed sight. I guess I will find out how it holds up to full power 10mm.

Wake27
04-19-19, 05:18
Just to echo what everyone else has said. The RMR is the standard right now. The leupold has a decent runner up.

The ACRO is supposed to be the end all be all for RDS for pistols.

Does anyone know if the ACRO will mount to an RMR cut or does the slide have to be specifically milled for the ACRO?

Different footprint.

everready73
04-19-19, 07:57
Different footprint.

Agency Arms makes an ACRO plate where you can put the rear site in the back or front of the RDS. Aaron Cowan just got an ACRO in and will probably have a review up before to long. He has a few posts on instagram with it

Biggy
04-19-19, 11:55
If I got into a pistol mounted RDS today, the new Aimpoint ACRO would be the only one that I would even consider, just because of it’s closed emitter.

YVK
04-19-19, 20:06
Its optic window is about 70% of RMR's, and it is nearly twice bigger by volume. For a concealed carry optic, somebody needs to do a lot of convincing why I would even consider it.

Pappabear
04-19-19, 20:33
Different footprint.

How interchangeable are the RDS on the market? So if I have a Sig gun with Sig RDS, can I buy the new Aimpoint or RMR and rock on or do I have footprint problems?

PB

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-19-19, 20:48
How interchangeable are the RDS on the market? So if I have a Sig gun with Sig RDS, can I buy the new Aimpoint or RMR and rock on or do I have footprint problems?

PB

Different footprints. You need a setup like the Glock MOS or new Agency slide.

YVK
04-19-19, 23:11

PB

Older SIGs were milled for Romeo footprint which is different from everything else. The M17/M18 SIGs were specified by the Army for a Leupold DPP footprint. The word was that future SIGs and Romeos will come with a DPP footprint. For a wider range of interchangeability you will need some sort of adapter plate system.

Wake27
04-19-19, 23:14

PB

Different footprints. You need a setup like the Glock MOS or new Agency slide.

Older SIGs were milled for Romeo footprint which is different from everything else. The M17/M18 SIGs were specified by the Army for a Leupold DPP footprint. The word was that future SIGs and Romeos will come with a DPP footprint. For a wider range of interchangeability you will need some sort of adapter plate system.

Yeah at the moment, the RMR and Holosun 507C(?) are the only optics from different brands that I’m aware of sharing the same footprint.

Wake27
04-19-19, 23:16
Its optic window is about 70% of RMR's, and it is nearly twice bigger by volume. For a concealed carry optic, somebody needs to do a lot of convincing why I would even consider it.

Thank you. So many people are all over Aimpoints balls on this thing when almost no one has even tried it yet. And all those guys are claiming that it’s only a tiny bit bigger than an RMR so it’s not a big deal. But plenty of people think the G17 is just a tad too big for a CCW so...

YVK
04-19-19, 23:53
I've several thousand rounds, and a bunch of dry fire, behind a slide mounted T-1. People say that P-1 and T-1 are different but one is 16 x 16 mm square tube, another is 18 mm dia tube. I can imagine that there are some visual differences and window shape is different, but the windows' sq areas are all but identical. If my T-1 experience is any indication, people will shoot a bunch of static, single target, two handed hold drills and will call it awesome, and no worse than other options. My draw and single target splits with T-1 were the same as with DPP, as they should for somebody with a decent index and grip. I don't expect ACRO be any slower. What people won't do are multiple target transitions, shooting from awkward positions, shooting one handed, especially support hand, or shoot on the move where smaller window optic will kick their asses.

GJM
04-21-19, 20:08
I have had two range sessions with an Acro mounted on a MOS Glock. I am primarily a red dot shooter, and have experience with the DP Pro, RMR, Shield RMS, Holosun and Vortex pistol optics. I shot the Acro in a variety of drills, from draws, Garcia dot drills, group shooting, smaller steel and left and right hand only shooting.

In terms of the display, I prefer the Acro over the RMR. Regardless of dimensions, the Acro display is clearer than the RMR, and appears to have more usable height. Aside from the display, the Acro has a better battery arrangement, a better mounting arrangement, and is obviously a sealed emitter. Reliability is TBD, but Aimpoint obviously has a track record of making durable products. The RMR will be easier to conceal, as the rear edge of the Acro’s “mail box” will print for most folks. Interestingly, a wing claw type appendix holster printed worse for me, where a conventional wedge holster, in the form of the “George,” concealed best for me.

Unless you are shooting a match in the rain, I don’t see the Acro displacing an optic with a DP Pro sized display for pure gaming. Same for very concealed carry, the Acro will print more. I do see the Acro being the category winner for LE/military, timmie gaming, and more relaxed concealed carry. I wish all optics used the Acro footprint and mounting system, and pistols came direct milled for that footprint, with a supplied cover plate in case you didn’t want to run an optic. I hope Trijicon/Ameriglo quickly produce a set of Agent/Bold sights with a BUIS height dehorned rear that fits fully in a rear MOS dovetail, with a corresponding height front sight.

I like the Acro so much, I have packaged up a VP9 to have Primary Machine direct mill a slide for carry. I think Aimpoint will sell pallets of these optics, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the product that brings the red dot on a pistol to mainstream LE service.

Coal Dragger
04-21-19, 21:08
Thanks for the insights. Looks like I need to get a pre-order in.

Has Primary Machine confirmed they will be milling VP9’s for this optic? I have a new long slide to send them it they are.

GJM
04-21-19, 21:14
Thanks for the insights. Looks like I need to get a pre-order in.

Has Primary Machine confirmed they will be milling VP9’s for this optic? I have a new long slide to send them it they are.

Here you go, the Acro is in the drop down menu. They did an L for me with a Pro a few weeks ago.

http://primarymachine.com/hk-vp9-40-vp9-40sk-optic-milling/

Coal Dragger
04-21-19, 21:55
How are you liking your long slide? Mine seems to be a very good shooter.

crossgun
04-22-19, 05:35
The dot on the ACRO is just awesome, round and precise. No bloom and no tint. With my RMR's from time to time I see a magnified image, probably a result of the curved lens and my focus. This wasn't an issue when I shot and or presented the ACRO. I do see mounting and conversion from RMR to ACRO being a complicated and costly issue for those of us with already custom milled RMR slides. S&W needs to get their head out of their ass and produce a CORE or optics ready 2.0. If today you are not producing an optics ready pistol platform your going to lose a sale!

After playing with it on and off for a couple of days I am all in on the ACRO

matt7184
04-22-19, 07:08
KE Arms has an RMR to ACRO adapter plate in the works.

GJM
04-22-19, 07:27
How are you liking your long slide? Mine seems to be a very good shooter.

I have one with the DP Pro and just the OEM sights.

For iron sight use, the extra sight radius is a benefit to me, especially on low prob shots. When I did slow motion video, the long slide jumps around a lot more than the regular VP9 slide, although I don’t really notice it shooting. At least so far, the long slide needs higher power factor ammo to run reliably. Also, it isn’t legal yet for CO and Production which limits my use of it.

jpgm
04-22-19, 08:19
For those who have actually used the Acro, is the dot too large for relatively quick head shots at 25yds or farther?

jpgm

GJM
04-22-19, 09:30
For those who have actually used the Acro, is the dot too large for relatively quick head shots at 25yds or farther?

jpgm

Your question as posed, is difficult to answer, as I think of the “quick” part being a function of trigger control, and “farther” is hard to define. The Acro spec sheet lists the dot as 3.5 moa, so you can calculate how much of the target the dot will cover at whatever distance. I shot groups at 20 yards, not 25, during my first range session with the Acro, and shooting head size targets at 25 yards is not limited by the optic.

MegademiC
04-22-19, 13:50
Deleted.

RHINOWSO
04-22-19, 14:49
Now? RMR.

Next year? Maybe the Acro, but it's too new to know.

Coal Dragger
04-22-19, 14:58
I have one with the DP Pro and just the OEM sights.

For iron sight use, the extra sight radius is a benefit to me, especially on low prob shots. When I did slow motion video, the long slide jumps around a lot more than the regular VP9 slide, although I don’t really notice it shooting. At least so far, the long slide needs higher power factor ammo to run reliably. Also, it isn’t legal yet for CO and Production which limits my use of it.

Kind of mirrors my observations so far on recoil characteristics and how flat the slide runs during recoil. I also noticed that the recoil spring is stouter than my well broken in spring on my original slide, lightly loaded ammo results in spent brass making it only about 2-3ft from me... 100% reliable though so HK got it sprung just to the cusp of not working. I’m not a talented enough shooter on speed events to notice a performance difference between how the two slides run as far as a difference in split times vs on target results.

Iron sights on the L are a big improvement over the stock tritium units on my stock slide from a sight picture standpoint. I am also a big fan of adjustable sights.

Mechanical accuracy with all the ammo I have tried back to back has shown the L is noticeably more accurate. I credit the barrel fitting. Wish HK offered a variant of the standard slide with the match fit barrel with fitted muzzle area, O ring, and fitted barrel hood.

After playing with my brother’s G19 Gen 5 MOS with an RMR I am looking forward to applying a dot to my VP9. Mechanical accuracy was better with iron sights on both of my slides vs his G19, but the G19 with RMR was still easier to shoot consistently due to the superior sight picture a dot provides. Kind on an eye opener to be honest.

Coal Dragger
04-22-19, 15:06

jpgm

The 3.25 MOA dot is a common size in other dot sights. My RMR RM01 runs a 3.25 MOA dot, in theory at 25 yards it covers less than 1” of the target (.825” to be exact), so unless you’re trying to line break a 1” paster in the head box at 25 yards I doubt it will be too big. When the dot is really bright it might be slightly larger than the nominal 3.25 MOA but it’s not going to be blotting out a head box at 25 yards. Hasn’t been an issue for me, I use that RMR on a hunting revolver and it makes hitting out to 100 yards pretty easy when I’m shooting that cannon on the regular.

Now if you have severe astigmatism issues or other problems making a out a clean dot, you may run into issues but I cannot speak to those from experience.

Hope this helps a bit.

m1a_scoutguy
04-23-19, 13:13
Hey guys good info! I am looking at mounting an RMR/ACRO on my CZ P-07 and just have a few questions. Looks like the 3.25 MOA is the RMR to get ? Are there other options or benefits to a certain Model of the Trijicon? I know its NEW but I am looking @ the ACRO also, depending on which Model you get (RMR) the ACRO is in the ball park of the RMR or its about $100 bucks more ! Money or price difference is not a problem between either one,,not cuz I have money but because I have been saving for the project for awhile ! As stated the RMR is the go to king at the moment it seems but it looks like the Aimpoint could be next in line. Any thoughts or imput is appreciated. The 07 is my main EDC and I shoot it 99% of the time for general shooting/training/competion. Figured I would add that in case someone asks what my main use for the gun will be. I also am looking at buying another complete slide for the 07,there are a couple for sale out there that I have found,so I can always switch back and forth if I deside. Thanks again. :D

Biggy
04-23-19, 13:37
I have decided to hold off on the ACRO for a while.

m1a_scoutguy
04-23-19, 15:03

FYI, my Aimpoint ACRO is on the way to me today from https://www.sportoptics.com/aimpoint-acro-p-1-red-dot-sight.aspx for $552. *delivered*
Being an Aimpoint, I am willing to take the gamble.

Cuz I'm a blockhead,so the ACRO window is 70% of the RMR,is that what your saying,just want to be clear. Do you think that could be a issue with picking up things in the sight ? I read guys say the ACRO is clearer,so thats a good thing. I do plan on getting another slide so I can still use my 07 for EDC with irons,so no big deal. I'm sure it could be a issue going back and forth but one I'm willing to deal with I guess !
Yea Biggy,I hear ya not many things are tougher than an Aimpoint ! How did you get the discount if you don't mind me asking,,I see 10% off from another website so your about in line with that. Thanks guys !

RAM Engineer
04-23-19, 15:08
I hope Trijicon/Ameriglo quickly produce a set of Agent/Bold sights with a BUIS height dehorned rear that fits fully in a rear MOS dovetail, with a corresponding height front sight.

Ameriglo makes an MOS version of the Agent sights, but they are currently a custom shop only product.

Biggy
04-23-19, 15:22
Cuz I'm a blockhead,so the ACRO window is 70% of the RMR,is that what your saying,just want to be clear. Do you think that could be a issue with picking up things in the sight ? I read guys say the ACRO is clearer,so thats a good thing. I do plan on getting another slide so I can still use my 07 for EDC with irons,so no big deal. I'm sure it could be a issue going back and forth but one I'm willing to deal with I guess !
Yea Biggy,I hear ya not many things are tougher than an Aimpoint ! How did you get the discount if you don't mind me asking,,I see 10% off from another website so your about in line with that. Thanks guys !

I just asked them what is the best they could do on it.

YVK
04-23-19, 19:10
Cuz I'm a blockhead,so the ACRO window is 70% of the RMR,is that what your saying,just want to be clear.

RMR is 22x16 mm, ACRO is 16x16 mm, so yes, RMR window is 28% larger due to extra width. There are multiple caveats that exist to make fair comparisons. Most folks prefer taller window vs wider window from shootability standpoint, although I would take just a larger window in every dimensions. So far most ACROs have been mounted on adapter plates while we have plenty of RMRs directly milled in. The adapter plates might be beneficial for ACRO since they sit the optic higher and make all of the window visually available. I think we will learn more soon, when people start directly milling the slides and sinking those ACROs lower.

m1a_scoutguy
04-23-19, 20:34
RMR is 22x16 mm, ACRO is 16x16 mm, so yes, RMR window is 28% larger due to extra width. There are multiple caveats that exist to make fair comparisons. Most folks prefer taller window vs wider window from shootability standpoint, although I would take just a larger window in every dimensions. So far most ACROs have been mounted on adapter plates while we have plenty of RMRs directly milled in. The adapter plates might be beneficial for ACRO since they sit the optic higher and make all of the window visually available. I think we will learn more soon, when people start directly milling the slides and sinking those ACROs lower.

Thats good info,thank you very much ! Still trying to decide myself ! At work at the moment, will watch a bunch of youtube tonight and see what the concensus is ! yes it is very early on the ACRO but will take a hard look at both and decide this week ! Being "older" maybe the RMR with the Bigger window mite be better for MY eyes ! I don't want to make the wrong choice, although I'm sure I can adapt to either one. Thanks again & will keep ya posted on what I do !

YVK
04-23-19, 21:48
Interestingly, my buddy GJM says that everyone who looks at his ACRO feels that the window is bigger than on RMR.

eklarsen
04-23-19, 22:26

I would have to agree, I have 2 RMR's but that aimpoint looks like a brick and snag machine.

Watrdawg
04-24-19, 08:36
I've seen a couple of videos of the ACRO online and I definitely don't like the size of it. Looks like a mini brick sitting on top of a handgun. Way too big for my likes. I'll stick with my RMR for now.

m1a_scoutguy
04-24-19, 12:53
I've seen a couple of videos of the ACRO online and I definitely don't like the size of it. Looks like a mini brick sitting on top of a handgun. Way too big for my likes. I'll stick with my RMR for now.

Yes, the size is "different" for sure it's not what we are used to seeing in a Red Dot sight! I'm no expert but I think to provide typical Aimpoint features it had to be made this way. We are talking about toughness, longevity, clarity, etc. In typical Aimpoint fashion, ya can beat the thing with a hammer and the Dot will still be working and visable. With the dot being deep inside and tougher than nails glass on both ends that is replaceable,,thats kinda cool and will go a long ways in protecting your investment. I'm just a range guy that does some competeing at times and has fading eyesight so I'm just looking at a viable option for a RDS,I'm not the kinda guy that needs all the newest wiz-bang stuff but this sight intreagued me and like I said earlier I have been saving for a RDS project on one of my pistols and this does look like a decent option,,,time will tell I guess. :) On the good side,I run CZs and we all know how small there dam slides are,,having this brick on top would be a great assist in tap/racks/one handed mag changes and slide racking,LOL !!

gaijin
04-24-19, 13:03
I use a couple RMR type 2 and a DPP on handguns.
I like the clearer glass of the DPP, but it’s too tall for a carry gun IMO.

The new Aimpoint in no way appeals to me due to size/shape.

clb
04-24-19, 14:19
I think we will learn more soon, when people start directly milling the slides and sinking those ACROs lower.

Not saying this can't be done, but it will be interesting. These use a completely different method to mount than other MRDS out there.

Coal Dragger
04-24-19, 16:54
Well Brownells shows the ACRO P-1 in stock, so I just placed my order.

Now to get it in hand and get my VP9 long slide and the ACRO out for milling and installation.

YVK
04-24-19, 18:43
Not saying this can't be done, but it will be interesting. These use a completely different method to mount than other MRDS out there.

It has already been done, and a number of shops offer this work. It hasn't been evaluated by users yet.

big_pErm
04-24-19, 20:14
I went with trijicon RMR on my P10c build. I originally bought the RM01 that failed the first trip to the range. Trijicon customer service was great, even upgraded to the RM06.

The 6.25MOA dot seems easier for me to pick vs the 3MOA

mhmx233
04-24-19, 20:34
I really think more people should try the Holosun 507C red dot. They seem to be pretty tough from watching Sage Dynamics video on his. Mine is still very new at this point with less than 500 rds. on it, but I couldn’t be happier with it. I only use the normal dot reticle but you can switch between it, a circle with crosshairs and the circle with a dot in the middle. This might be better for aging eyes, being that you could use the circle for fast target acquisitions and the dot in the middle for accuracy. From what I’ve seen, it looks to be tougher than everything but the RMR and maybe the Acro.

YVK
04-24-19, 20:55
I think that somebody who posted in this thread broke one in a dry fire. Within a short term of use for sure, but I think it went down in a dry practice.

tonyxcom
04-24-19, 22:18
Not sure if its been mentioned but Trijicon is getting ready to drop a new version of the RMR. My bet is on fully enclosed like the ACRO. Whatever it is, I hope it has the same footprint.

https://i.imgur.com/XiYkrYs.png

Biggy
04-24-19, 22:20
I will check out the new Trijicon RMR Friday morning at the NRA Show, if they bring it. Also, what does everyone feel is the best overall compromise in dot size from 5-25yds?

m1a_scoutguy
04-24-19, 23:28
Here is a quick question! How the heck do any of these things mount? I am going to mount whatever I buy on a CZ 07! I am looking at the ACRO and its lists nothing for the 07, only the P10/Shadow and maybe something else. Can these mount directly to the gun? How does the RMR mount, plate or directly! I did put in a email to primary machine with a few questions but I'm sure it will take a day or so to get back at me ! Thanks for any info guys !

YVK
04-24-19, 23:42
double tap

Coal Dragger
04-24-19, 23:43
The sights can mount directly to the slide if you have the slide milled specifically for the mounting footprint.

Between the Aimpoint and the Trijicon my guess is that the Aimpoint will be easier to mill for and fit a wider variety of slides because it is a narrower mounting area. Plus the Aimpoint uses a dovetail with a cross slot simplifying the machining process.

Otherwise pistols that are optics ready and offer adapter plates will be able to easily mount the sight without machining once you have the correct plate.

I have read from posts and articles of guys who shoot RDS equipped pistols that the custom milled solution usually allows the RDS to be mounted lower and more securely making for a more reliable and easier to use installation.

YVK
04-24-19, 23:43
Not sure if its been mentioned but Trijicon is getting ready to drop a new version of the RMR. My bet is on fully enclosed like the ACRO. Whatever it is, I hope it has the same footprint.

https://i.imgur.com/XiYkrYs.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=mifTnZX5-hc

Coal Dragger
04-24-19, 23:55
Looks cool, but my order is already in for the ACRO P-1.

Defaultmp3
04-25-19, 00:05
https://i.imgur.com/ijZdfLZ.png
For reference, the DPP's spec sheet says it's 1.30" high, and 1.82" long.

Biggy
04-25-19, 07:43
Trijicon SRO review (link below). Looks like both of them have some Pro’s and Con’s to me. I do like the thinner window fame on the SRO compared to the ACRO, but like the flush to the housing mounted lens more on the ACRO. I will check both the ACRO and the SRO out Friday morning at the NRA Show. May the best * overall* sight win. IMHO, at this point in time, these are the only two offerings *I* would have on a pistol.

https://youtu.be/4qY0fBN_Heo

Watrdawg
04-25-19, 08:04
Hmmm. The Trijicon SRO looks very interesting!

clb
04-25-19, 09:51
It has already been done, and a number of shops offer this work. It hasn't been evaluated by users yet.

Figured it might be, just thought maybe the dovetail/cross slot mount might be a little more difficult to mill. I installed my ACRO on an MOS last night. Have to be honest, not sure I like it yet. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but so far doing a little dry fire with it, I actually find it tougher to find the dot than both the RMR and Delta Point.

tonyxcom
04-25-19, 10:21
Looks like a good cure for Brass to Face

SageRatSafaris
04-25-19, 10:27
I noticed this quote from the Shield website: (https://www.shieldpsd.com/pages/about-1)

In recent years we have built Mini Red Dots for companies including JP Rifles (JPoint) & Trijicon’s REDDOT, marketed under their own brands.

And this from the Trijicon website: (https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/company/made_in_the_usa.php)

The vast majority of Trijicon products, including all ACOG®, RMR®, Reflex, MRO®, Night Sights, SRS®, VCOG®, TARS®, CCAS® and Archery Sights are designed, engineered, machined and assembled at our facility in Wixom, Michigan and are therefore 100% Made in the USA.

So what exactly did Shield make for Trijicon?

How does a Shield mini sight compare to the Trijicon RMR LED?

nick84
04-25-19, 11:00
SRO looks promising. I've been thinking about making the move to RDS for carry, but with the Aimpoint and the SRO both hitting the market, I think I'll wait to see the consensus between those two.

Defaultmp3
04-25-19, 12:14
https://trijicon.com/na_en/search/page.php?id=137

https://trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_61

Pre-dates the RMR by 2 years, I believe the driving impetus was to have an in-house-ish product to put on top of the ACOGs.

RAM Engineer
04-25-19, 13:32
I noticed this quote from the Shield website: (https://www.shieldpsd.com/pages/about-1)

And this from the Trijicon website: (https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/company/made_in_the_usa.php)

How does a Shield mini sight compare to the Trijicon RMR LED?

Like Default said, prior to the RMR, Trijicon sold rebranded Docter and Shield sights. No longer on their website.

Coal Dragger
04-25-19, 15:23
SRO looks promising. I've been thinking about making the move to RDS for carry, but with the Aimpoint and the SRO both hitting the market, I think I'll wait to see the consensus between those two.

The SRO looks like it will be more difficult to conceal. I think for concealed carry it will be easier to conceal the RMR, then the ACRO, and then SRO.

SRO will be an awesome gaming optic for slide mounted guys, and also probably a really user friendly duty gun option where it’s riding around on a full-size pistol in a retention holster.

dontshakepandas
04-25-19, 15:45
The SRO looks like it will be more difficult to conceal. I think for concealed carry it will be easier to conceal the RMR, then the ACRO, and then SRO.

SRO will be an awesome gaming optic for slide mounted guys, and also probably a really user friendly duty gun option where it’s riding around on a full-size pistol in a retention holster.

I definitely can't see the ACRO being easier to conceal than the SRO. The SRO has the height only at the part of the slide close to the ejection port. The ACRO is like a mailbox and adds that height to pretty much the entire rear of the slide.

I posted this on another site already, but I did a quick overlay of the RMR and the SRO and I really don't think the SRO will be that much harder to conceal.

The SRO is taller, but it the height at the outer most portions of the optic seem about the same, and the round profile of the SRO seems like it may actually make cover garments drape better than the point on the RMR.

I don't think this optic is really competing with the ACRO. For open carry or duty carry I think the closed emitter of the ACRO is the way to go. To me the SRO seems to be competing more with the Leupold DPP for gaming, and I think it will also prove to be a great carry option since it gives a much bigger window without much of a real world penalty in concealability.

Coal Dragger
04-25-19, 16:19
We shall see, I might get an SRO for my revolver because a larger window will be a big benefit in acquiring the dot with the sight that high over the hand.

m1a_scoutguy
04-26-19, 15:07
Well I just bought a NIB RMR 3.25MOA Dot for a fair price I think,,,let the journey begin I guess. Will send the slide out as soon as the RMR shows up ! I'll keep ya posted guys ! :)

Biggy
04-26-19, 18:32
I got a chance today to look at and look through both the new Aimpoint ACRO P1 and the just released but not shipping yet, new Trijicon SRO. As for quick dot acquisition and better tracking under recoil, the new SRO was easily the winner, thanks to it’s window size and thinner window housing. The ACRO wins with it’s closed emitter and flush mounted lens.

Defaultmp3
04-26-19, 19:23
https://i.imgur.com/OOLjTnc.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwvCVFlnkCf/

Coal Dragger
04-26-19, 21:46
Damn that window on the ACRO sits low in the sight body. Wonder if a true suppressor height sight would even be needed for a lower 1/3 co-witness?

jpmuscle
04-26-19, 22:11
I’m guessing that’s direct milled and non MOS since it’s on what appears to be a gen3 slide?

YVK
04-26-19, 22:31
I’m guessing that’s direct milled and non MOS since it’s on what appears to be a gen3 slide?

It is directly milled, the slide is positioned lower for this photo than the SRO one, and ACRO is still same height as the SRO.

Concealment, eh?

sndt1319
04-26-19, 23:07
Can anyone explain why the closed emitter is such a big deal on the ACRO?

Defaultmp3
04-26-19, 23:31
Can anyone explain why the closed emitter is such a big deal on the ACRO?Better environmental protection. Fairly big improvement for duty capacity, not as much for CCW. Also allows for better ghost-ringing if your dot goes down.

VIP3R 237
04-27-19, 00:01
Can anyone explain why the closed emitter is such a big deal on the ACRO?

Because snow/rain/debris can block your emitter so you no longer have a dot. I’ve had it happen

sndt1319
04-27-19, 08:22
Makes sense

jpmuscle
04-27-19, 11:56
IMO the SRO is looks well improved but I still say closed emitter is the future. ACRO is the future.

GJM
04-27-19, 12:18
IMO the SRO is looks well improved but I still say closed emitter is the future. ACRO is the future.

Depends on trade offs — as a closed emitter will be better in inclement weather, but the rear of the housing enclosing the emitter, at least in the Acro, makes concealment more difficult.

jpmuscle
04-27-19, 12:25
Depends on trade offs — as a closed emitter will be better in inclement weather, but the rear of the housing enclosing the emitter, at least in the Acro, makes concealment more difficult.

Eh, I don’t see being any different than having to dress around a G19 vs a G17 and x300

I surmise future generations will be revised

GJM
04-27-19, 13:31
Eh, I don’t see being any different than having to dress around a G19 vs a G17 and x300

Based on carrying a Glock with an Acro for a week, it is different. You don’t conceal an Acro, you disguise it!

Coal Dragger
04-27-19, 13:42
Hmmm, my ACRO is on the way and the VP9 long slide will be going out with the sight for milling hopefully next week. I’m placing a bet that the gun with the sight will conceal AIWB under appropriate clothing.

When I carried the pistol on my strong side hip IWB or OWB I always thought it printed just by making one side of my torso seem wider than the other at the waist, and or course in certain positions having the butt of the grip frame stick out. Only one person ever noticed that I know of, my wife’s aunt, and she was standing right next to me when I had to bend down suddenly to corral my toddler son. Based on my limited anecdotal experience, it seems most of the public are not looking at each other closely or looking for signs of someone being armed. So any reasonable effort made to simply break up the outline and cover the pistol seems to work in my environment.

Biggy
04-27-19, 13:49
Hmmm, my ACRO is on the way and the VP9 long slide will be going out with the sight for milling hopefully next week. I’m placing a bet that the gun with the sight will conceal AIWB under appropriate clothing.

When I carried the pistol on my strong side hip IWB or OWB I always thought it printed just by making one side of my torso seem wider than the other at the waist, and or course in certain positions having the butt of the grip frame stick out. Only one person ever noticed that I know of, my wife’s aunt, and she was standing right next to me when I had to bend down suddenly to corral my toddler son. Based on my limited anecdotal experience, it seems most of the public are not looking at each other closely or looking for signs of someone being armed. So any reasonable effort made to simply break up the outline and cover the pistol seems to work in my environment.

IMHO, it will conceal just fine.

Coal Dragger
04-27-19, 14:06
We shall see.

big_pErm
04-28-19, 09:44
Here is a quick question! How the heck do any of these things mount? I am going to mount whatever I buy on a CZ 07! I am looking at the ACRO and its lists nothing for the 07, only the P10/Shadow and maybe something else. Can these mount directly to the gun? How does the RMR mount, plate or directly! I did put in a email to primary machine with a few questions but I'm sure it will take a day or so to get back at me ! Thanks for any info guys !

If you have a CZ go with Cajun Gun Works. They did my P10c and it turned out great

big_pErm
04-28-19, 09:47

While I love the x300 it certainly is starting to show its age. No reason for that light to be as big as it is.

hburn
04-29-19, 06:50
So has anyone really put the new holosun through its paces yet?

Coal Dragger
04-29-19, 09:15
I’m sure someone has.

I categorically refuse to buy Chinese made products when a viable and readily available alternative exists that is made in a free country. So no Holosun for me.

Biggy
04-29-19, 11:22
IMHO, at this point in time, for military and law enforcement use: #1. Aimpoint ACRO (mainly because of it’s closed emitter) #2. Trijicon RMR
For gaming : Trijicon SRO

m1a_scoutguy
04-29-19, 11:49
For what it's worth, Aaron is pretty hard on "everything" !! Good vid. Seems like a good MRDS for the price, I just bought an RMR but with these being the same footprint I will try one on another gun, I also really like the reticle/dot's on the Holosun. Yes if your a hard use guy then yes the choices Biggy said,but "until" Aaron gets his hands on the ACRO and does his thing,I wouldn't put the ACRO on top of the RMR just yet ! :blink: I'm sure its tough as hell but time will tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOyq90oa-Q

hburn
04-29-19, 12:58
I already have glocks with a delta point pro and rmr but I’m very intrigued by the reticle on the holosun

m1a_scoutguy
05-01-19, 13:12
Aaron got around to testing the ACRO! Very good review, was surprised about the glass but in Aimpoint fashion, she keeps on trucking! The good thing is it will be a continuing ongoing test and he will report back as time goes on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6gqQuN6xdA

bigshoe83
05-10-19, 16:36
I would say if I am trusting my life to the optic I would go with a Trijicon RMR, for a range toy I have a Vortex Romeo 1 and it’s pretty nice but the battery life sucks.

Doc. Holiday
05-13-19, 07:09
So has anyone really put the new holosun through its paces yet?

I follow Travis Haley on Instagram and he said that he has been really pleased with the Holosun thus far. He hasn't mentioned much on torture tests or anything other than actual use.

GJM
05-13-19, 07:46
I follow Travis Haley on Instagram and he said that he has been really pleased with the Holosun thus far. He hasn't mentioned much on torture tests or anything other than actual use.

I broke mine within the first week, but the one on my wife’s practice G34 is going strong.

joedirt199
05-13-19, 10:30
Have an rmr on my p09 and got a holosun to put on my p07. Getting ready to send the slide and sight out to primary machine to have it milled and cerakoted. They do fast work and mill to your sight's exact dimensions. Interested to try out the holosun with the circle dot.

1911-A1
05-13-19, 12:07
I have a Burris FF3 on my 11.5" AR, never had a single issue with it, and the original battery lasted ~2years. Has anyone tried them on a pistol? I know the forces involved are different.

whatthepuck
05-13-19, 12:23
I like my 507c. The dot seems crisper to my eyes than the dot on my type 1 RMRs. I thought I’d like the eotech like reticle better, but I am more accurate with just the dot, might be that I’m more used to the single dot rmr. You definitely pick up the Holusun reticle more easily. I’m pleased with it for the $265 I paid for it, but I’m
Not running out to sell my rmrs.

NCPatrolAR
05-15-19, 00:40
I have a Burris FF3 on my 11.5" AR, never had a single issue with it, and the original battery lasted ~2years. Has anyone tried them on a pistol? I know the forces involved are different.

I have about 500 rounds through one on a 9mm M&P. No issues so far.

m1a_scoutguy
05-15-19, 23:32
Have an rmr on my p09 and got a holosun to put on my p07. Getting ready to send the slide and sight out to primary machine to have it milled and cerakoted. They do fast work and mill to your sight's exact dimensions. Interested to try out the holosun with the circle dot.

I like my 507c. The dot seems crisper to my eyes than the dot on my type 1 RMRs. I thought I’d like the EOTech like reticle better, but I am more accurate with just the dot, might be that I’m more used to the single dot rmr. You definitely pick up the Holusun reticle more easily. I’m pleased with it for the $265 I paid for it, but I’m
Not running out to sell my rmrs.

My CZ-07 slide is @ Primary machine now, going on the 2nd week so maybe getting close! I sent an RMR to be installed. I just bought a Holosun 507c today! I have been wanting one to try and compare with the RMR. This is my 1st venture into MRDS on pistols so variety will be good,,,,,I think,LOL Will post a bunch of pic's and info once I get stuff back and get out to the range,should be fun !

Coal Dragger
05-22-19, 10:13
Just talked to Bruce at Primary Machine, he called and wanted to know if they could use my ACRO P-1 to do some R&D since they have to send their sample back to Aimpoint.

I agreed for the greater good, they’re working on a useful little project. Still hope they’re reasonably quick about it.

CrowCommand
12-25-20, 13:08
Any updates on this? Looking to get into a G45 MOS and am leaning RMR type 2 in my limited research. This will be my first RDS on a pistol.

newyork
12-25-20, 14:01
Will the acro fit on an M&P 9 compact? Anyone know?

SiGfever
01-01-21, 16:49
I had Primary Machine do my G19.3 with RMR06 Type 2. I also had mine Nitrided.

georgeib
01-01-21, 17:40
I had Primary Machine do my G19.3 with RMR06 Type 2. I also had mine Nitrided.

64743Stippling looks great. Who did it for you?

You planning on getting cowitness irons?

Coal Dragger
05-24-21, 10:58
Well, well, well.... looks like Aimpoint is listening to customers.

Meet the new ACRO P-2. Pretty much addresses most of the major complaints about the P-1.

https://i.ibb.co/bdxfwJx/77-D4-E28-A-66-E5-4122-B321-C3-B36663-EB0-B.jpg (https://ibb.co/h8kqQfk)

boosterboy
06-01-21, 03:21
I'm a big fan of enclosed emitter red dots.

I've been shooting a G17 with a unity tactical ATOM mount Aimpoint T1. T1 does not have that strange fish-eye distortion that some red dot exhibit. On my setup, the rear iron-sight sit in-front of the RDS.

I wanted the Acro P1 but it was rather lackluster. I'm eyeing the Acro P2 right now, especially now that Aimpoint has moved to CR2032 batteries, with "50,000 hours battery life".

I'm still testing out my Holosun 509T, it hasn't disappointed me yet. The 509T does have mildly noticeable fish-eye distortion.