PDA

View Full Version : KAC RAS Panel Kit contents

Diamondback
04-08-19, 22:51
Maybe my Search-Fu is weak again, but I tried to search on this and didn't see anything.

Anyway, as part of my M4 and M16A4 clone builds I'm trying to build up complete sets of "as issued" accessories in basic issue configuration, including the panel kits as they ship from KAC to DOD.

The listings I've stumbled across on the Net, which I take with a grain, say:
M4

"Fruit Rollup" carrying pouch
"Broomstick" VFG
M203 collar
3x 11-rib panel
1x 5-rib panel
5 other panels, details unknown/unspecified

M5 (M16A4)

"Fruit Rollup" carrying pouch
"Broomstick" VFG
M203 collar
6x 11-rib panel
1x 7-rib panel
2x 6-rib panel
1x 5-rib panel

Interesting that neither includes the shorty 2 or 3-rib panels. So far, here's what I've got toward these:

2 Fruit Rollups
1 Broomstick
no collar, but don't really need 'em since I'm not mounting M203s
5x 11-rib panel
5x 6-rib panel
1x 4-rib (5-rib?) panel
4x 2-rib panel

Eurodriver
04-09-19, 08:32
Are you really trying to clone packages as shipped from KAC or would you rather like what’s the actual issued kit to our warfighters?

Because I can tell you with complete seriousness and certainty that there isn’t a single KAC kit in the .mil inventory that isn’t missing one or more rail panels.

PappyM3
04-09-19, 08:46
Are you really trying to clone packages as shipped from KAC or would you rather like what’s the actual issued kit to our warfighters?

Because I can tell you with complete seriousness and certainty that there isn’t a single KAC kit in the .mil inventory that isn’t missing one or more rail panels.

I had a foot locker full of complete, un-rat-f**ed, M4 RAS boxes in my arms room. I just don’t remember exactly which cover panels were in the package, aside from the 11-rib ones.

ramairthree
04-09-19, 08:47
Yes, we need to know if you are doing a “day one” NIP thing,
Or the pile of ratfuked parts on the shelf in the b hut.

Hammer_Man
04-09-19, 16:25
Don't forget to drag them over pavement repeatedly, and cover them in sticky leftover residue from 100 mph tape.

AndyLate
04-09-19, 16:54
Don't forget to drag them over pavement repeatedly, and cover them in sticky leftover residue from 100 mph tape.

But polish the retaining clip until it looks like a mirror.

Diamondback
04-09-19, 17:29
Gents, the goal is "Day One Factory Fresh"--the M4 is never even going to wear its panels or waffle-stock (and while I never intend to Fix Bayonet I intend to have an OKC-3S as a display piece too), I just want to have the correct setup to display with it when not on the range. If I get to only 1 or 2 panels down from "Nominal Standard" on each kit I'm inclined to call that "good enough," the problem is I need to know what "by the book" setup is for each to start with.

AndyLate, got your PM and it's appreciated, but just got back to my keyboard after the twice-a-week mail/errands/etc. run so apologies for the delayed response.

AndyLate
04-09-19, 19:29
I definitely have a 203 adapter that is yours for the asking, but let's see if you need me to grab some panels too.

Diamondback
04-09-19, 19:39
I definitely have a 203 adapter that is yours for the asking, but let's see if you need me to grab some panels too.

Thanks, Andy--that's the point of this thread, trying to size up "what I need" vs. "what I have." :) I don't consider those lists reliable, not coming from KAC, DOD or any other authoritative source other than a couple dudes trying to sell kits and rails on eBay.

Maybe, if I can find one for a decent price, I should consider a 37mm or dummy "Faux M203" someday... but there are a lot more pressing things on the "Get The Household Squared Away" list first.