PDA

View Full Version : Customs and Border Protection Picks Glock

Tokarev
04-09-19, 16:30
The announcement was officially made today. Many people had been speculating that CBP would follow ICE and adopt the P320.

No word yet on what specific model(s) will be authorized for duty carry. We should have all that info in the next day or two.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-awards-contract-duty-handguns

RHINOWSO
04-09-19, 16:42
320 fanbois be freakin'.

Tokarev
04-09-19, 16:56
https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37093&stc=1&d=1554845767

joe.a
04-09-19, 17:06
Does that say 47? I woulda guessed a 19x MOS would be the pick.

Eurodriver
04-09-19, 18:06
Great choice. The proven standard.

Slater
04-09-19, 18:24
Seems like yet another agency is moving away from .40 to 9mm.

RHINOWSO
04-09-19, 18:38
Uber long baseplates as well, they are tactical AF.

https://i.postimg.cc/X72mSwLj/cbp-glock-contract19.jpg

jpmuscle
04-09-19, 18:40
A very solid choice. I’m digging the full size with FCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndt1319
04-09-19, 18:46
What is a G47? A google search says a single stack .380 which makes no sense for CBP.

jpmuscle
04-09-19, 18:48
320 fanbois be freakin'.

Only because Sig sucks

ggammell
04-09-19, 18:56
What is a G47? A google search says a single stack .380 which makes no sense for CBP.

Zoom in on the picture.

El Cid
04-09-19, 18:58
Uber long baseplates as well, they are tactical AF.

https://i.postimg.cc/X72mSwLj/cbp-glock-contract19.jpg

That’s what happens when the snowflakes want to get rid of the front strap cut out. To strip a stuck mag one handed a shooter needs an even longer base plate.

lsllc
04-09-19, 19:02
That’s what happens when the snowflakes want to get rid of the front strap cut out. To strip a stuck mag one handed a shooter needs an even longer base plate.

Or people realize that man hands on 19s they tear the shit out of their hand and bleed all over the place.

Little girly boys don’t have a problem with the cut out on a 19.

El Cid
04-09-19, 19:47
Or people realize that man hands on 19s they tear the shit out of their hand and bleed all over the place.

Little girly boys don’t have a problem with the cut out on a 19.

That’s cute! I’m 6’2” tall and have man hands as you call them. No issues with the cut out. More likely it’s the shooters with soft, sensitive hands that don’t mix with the cut out. Especially if your RSO is behind you shouting, “We have a bleeder!”

Rather than disabling my ability to do one hand manipulations by filling in the half moon cut, maybe the sensitive hand shooters could just stick to those pink framed Taurus pistols.

joe.a
04-09-19, 19:54
So what's the difference between the G47 and 17MOS?

RHINOWSO
04-09-19, 19:56
Funny, never had to strip out a Glock mag (or any magazine for that matter). But I don't doubt Tactical-Tommies say it's the $hit to do.

Tokarev
04-09-19, 20:00
So what's the difference between the G47 and 17MOS?Nobody knows just yet although I believe the 47 is slightly longer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

El Cid
04-09-19, 20:26
Funny, never had to strip out a Glock mag (or any magazine for that matter). But I don't doubt Tactical-Tommies say it's the $hit to do.

Hopefully none of us have to do it during a critical incident but if you’ve never practiced it then I recommend you find an instructor who can help you. I forget what the numbers are but getting shot in the hand is more common than many folks think.

Based on your screen name I’m presuming you rode in back of F-4’s. Did you not train for various IFE possibilities? Or did y’all just say the hell with it - we’ll do it live?

The G47 has a G19/45 length rail. Because of that, the G47 has extra material under the slide to enclose the RSA.

RHINOWSO
04-09-19, 20:36
Hopefully none of us have to do it during a critical incident but if you’ve never practiced it then I recommend you find an instructor who can help you. I forget what the numbers are but getting shot in the hand is more common than many folks think.

Based on your screen name I’m presuming you rode in back of F-4’s. Did you not train for various IFE possibilities? Or did y’all just say the hell with it - we’ll do it live?Different Rhino, but yes we planned for those.

I just find it interesting that Glock is the only pistol expected to have gonzo side - front cutouts for the 'stripping of the mag' which pretty much no other pistols have it / are expected to have it.

parishioner
04-09-19, 20:37

Looks like a G45 frame(19 length dust cover), with a 17MOS slide.

I’ve been waiting for that G26, hopefully it becomes available and has the updated breech face.

Tokarev
04-09-19, 20:45
hopefully it has the updated breech face.

Can you explain?

lsllc
04-09-19, 20:47
That’s cute! I’m 6’2” tall and have man hands as you call them. No issues with the cut out. More likely it’s the shooters with soft, sensitive hands that don’t mix with the cut out. Especially if your RSO is behind you shouting, “We have a bleeder!”

Rather than disabling my ability to do one hand manipulations by filling in the half moon cut, maybe the sensitive hand shooters could just stick to those pink framed Taurus pistols.

Haha funny. Guess you don’t shoot much. But seriously, the hand making its way into the cutout on reloads doesn’t have anything to do with hand sensitivity, it has to do with a hand that hangs down there. No problems with Gen 3 or 4 guns. But more than once I’ve ripped my hand open with Gen 5 19s. The cutout is nearly universally hated.

If you have a problem and are constantly needing to rip magazines, something I’ve never had to do...shooting approximately 2,000 rounds a month for the past five years, just dremel tool the thing. My, how did somebody such as yourself live without the cutout in previous generations!

El Cid
04-09-19, 20:51
Different Rhino, but yes we planned for those.

I just find it interesting that Glock is the only pistol expected to have gonzo side - front cutouts for the 'stripping of the mag' which pretty much no other pistols have it / are expected to have it.

I’m not sure it’s an expectation. Let’s face it - most shooters put part of a box of bullets through their gun and declare it good to go. Fewer still ever seek training from a professional.

I am old enough to remember earlier Glocks with the cut out but don’t remember people complaining. My first issued G22 was a Gen 3 and had the cut out. I don’t know why Glock got rid of it but it was put back in the “M” guns at the request of the folks at Quantico. The Gen 5’s followed along until recently. Glock or any other make can’t make everyone happy but on my duty guns I appreciate the feature. I’ve also been through training where we had tennis balls duct taped to one hand or the other. I found the cut out and Gen 5 mags considerably easier to strip than wide side base plates like the LAV/TD style.

C-grunt
04-09-19, 21:15
When did Gen3 glocks have the cutout? I've owned like 5 and have been issued 2 and have never seen a Gen3 with the cutout the Gen5 19 has.

El Cid
04-09-19, 21:19
Haha funny. Guess you don’t shoot much. But seriously, the hand making its way into the cutout on reloads doesn’t have anything to do with hand sensitivity, it has to do with a hand that hangs down there. No problems with Gen 3 or 4 guns. But more than once I’ve ripped my hand open with Gen 5 19s. The cutout is nearly universally hated.

If you have a problem and are constantly needing to rip magazines, something I’ve never had to do...shooting approximately 2,000 rounds a month for the past five years, just dremel tool the thing. My, how did somebody such as yourself live without the cutout in previous generations!

Lol! Alright - I admit my snowflake comment was a bit out of bounds. I just hate losing a useful (to me) feature. And I don’t find myself having to rip out mags. I have had very few issues with my personal or agency Glocks but I train for the worst case. Just like I practice one hand manipulations with my rifles. I don’t want to have to figure out how to do it while someone is trying to kill me.

And I’ll concede that hands do get pinched on reloads with shorter pistols. I’ve had it happen and while it didn’t draw blood it was quite painful. I can’t remember the last time I did that because several years ago I started using G17 mags for all my spare mags and reloads. The only 15rd mag I use with my G19 is the one in the gun. My G26 also gets reloaded with G17 mags.

For the record, while I don’t have the budget to shoot 2k rounds a month I do shoot almost every weekend and shoot a match almost every month. I’ve also paid out of pocket for classes with various top tier instructors because my agency won’t. Although I do think saying it’s universally hated is hyperbole. ;)

And I agree - it’s easier for me to cut out my own half moon than it is for you to fill it. But hey, at least I’m debating with someone who shoots instead of the people who slow fire 50 rounds a year from 7 yards. :cheers:

El Cid
04-09-19, 21:20
When did Gen3 glocks have the cutout? I've owned like 5 and have been issued 2 and have never seen a Gen3 with the cutout the Gen5 19 has.

Mine was issued to me in 2006. Can’t recall the serial number as I turned it in years ago.

parishioner
04-09-19, 21:21
Can you explain?

On the G45 and Gen 5 MOS models there is a breech face notch/bevel that has reportedly improved ejection.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190410/b4136078a7b59a92e153a41fb014b09b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190410/f2044e1305f5e2e861064aea3b2e50e9.jpg

Tokarev
04-09-19, 21:23
On the G45 and Gen 5 MOS models there is a breech face notch/bevel that has reportedly improved ejection.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSo no more brass in the forehead?

My wife's 19 spits brass in my face all day long. I hate that gun...

El Cid
04-09-19, 21:28
So no more brass in the forehead?

Now that the announcement has been made, can’t someone call up to WV and ask for more details?

Tokarev
04-09-19, 21:31
Now that the announcement has been made, can’t someone call up to WV and ask for more details?Sure although I imagine the specs and particulars will all be known within the next few days.

C-grunt
04-09-19, 21:40
What's up with the 47? Why the shorter frame/dust cover up front?

call_me_ski
04-09-19, 21:55
What's up with the 47? Why the shorter frame/dust cover up front?

It allows for more commonality between models. It is the logical extension of the product line since the 17 GEN 5 and 19 GEN 5 started sharing a locking piece.

If you buy a 19 and 47 you can swap tops and bottoms at will to create 4 different configurations: Compact, Fullsize, Compact frame with Full slide, Full frame with Compact Slide.

lsllc
04-09-19, 21:56
Lol! Alright - I admit my snowflake comment was a bit out of bounds. I just hate losing a useful (to me) feature. And I don’t find myself having to rip out mags. I have had very few issues with my personal or agency Glocks but I train for the worst case. Just like I practice one hand manipulations with my rifles. I don’t want to have to figure out how to do it while someone is trying to kill me.

And I’ll concede that hands do get pinched on reloads with shorter pistols. I’ve had it happen and while it didn’t draw blood it was quite painful. I can’t remember the last time I did that because several years ago I started using G17 mags for all my spare mags and reloads. The only 15rd mag I use with my G19 is the one in the gun. My G26 also gets reloaded with G17 mags.

For the record, while I don’t have the budget to shoot 2k rounds a month I do shoot almost every weekend and shoot a match almost every month. I’ve also paid out of pocket for classes with various top tier instructors because my agency won’t. Although I do think saying it’s universally hated is hyperbole. ;)

And I agree - it’s easier for me to cut out my own half moon than it is for you to fill it. But hey, at least I’m debating with someone who shoots instead of the people who slow fire 50 rounds a year from 7 yards. :cheers:

It’s all good my man! Glad to hear you’re one of the dudes that actually does train. I know more than a few guys that carry a gun for a living that you couldn’t twist their arm to shoot or take a train course.

RHINOWSO
04-09-19, 22:12
So no more brass in the forehead?

My G45 shuck brass like a fat man tosses chicken bones - 3 o'clock out to 10+ feet, very positive.

lsllc
04-09-19, 22:19
My G45 shuck brass like a fat man tosses chicken bones - 3 o'clock out to 10+ feet, very positive.

Mine does the same.

gunnerblue
04-09-19, 23:07
The 47 is a full-size G17-ish-size pistol. Allegedly it is a Gen 5 pistol with a Gen 4 trigger- I am working on confirming this. The dust cover is indeed shorter and it is cut for a MRDS. There will also be a G19 and G26 available. These new handguns are a welcome change for the Border Patrol and I’m sure that they will be well received.

MountainRaven
04-09-19, 23:20
Anybody know if these are getting Ameriglo Trooper sights or similar?

Firefly
04-09-19, 23:23
Sig is an affront to all that is decent.

All BP should have Glock 35s and SR16s

HCM
04-09-19, 23:24

Gen 1, 2 and early Gen 3s had the cut out. My DHW prefix Gen3 G35 has the cut out. I bought it New in the mid to late 90s.

call_me_ski
04-09-19, 23:26
The 47 is a full-size G17-ish-size pistol. Allegedly it is a Gen 5 pistol with a Gen 4 trigger- I am working on confirming this. The dust cover is indeed shorter and it is cut for a MRDS. There will also be a G19 and G26 available. These new handguns are a welcome change for the Border Patrol and I’m sure that they will be well received.

Considering that the 26 and 19MOS that are also part of the award say Gen 5 along side DHS CBP on the slide on the announcement propaganda Glock put out, I would assume that they have Gen 5 Triggers. It would be strange for Glock to submit the older design and even stranger to submit a proposal with old and new trigger designs when all three guns could otherwise interchange trigger parts at will.

HCM
04-09-19, 23:28

This started on the Gen 5 G26 and G34 and has continued on the G45 all the Gen 5 MOS models. My nderstanding is it will be the standard going forward.

HCM
04-09-19, 23:32
The question keeps coming up - why the Glock 47 instead of a 17 MOS ?

The answer is it got Glock an $85 million contract for 60,000 pistols and associated support gear and services.

Why / how did it get Glock the CBP contract?

The ability to swap the slides of the G19 and G47 and vice versa meets the modularity requirement of the CBP Statement Of Work (SOW).

You can read the SOW here: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=2a1741a332858217dac833786f212472

2.0 SCOPE
2.3 The family of firearms shall include three variations of sizes, with an emphasis on modularity.

2 PISTOL #1
This pistol shall be designated as a “full size”, and shall include a full size frame and full size slide combination.

4.2.1 Height: shall not exceed 6.00 inches.
4.2.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
4.2.3 Length: shall not exceed 8.10”
4.2.4 Weight: shall not exceed 32 ounces
4.2.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 4.20” and 5.10”
4.2.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm.

4.3 PISTOL #2
This pistol shall be designated as a “mid-size”, and shall include a mid-size frame and mid-size slide combination.

4.3.1 Height: shall be between 4.75” and 5.60”
4.3.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
4.3.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.50”
4.3.4 Weight: shall not exceed 30 ounces
4.3.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.50” and 4.50”
4.3.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #1 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm. Shall accept full size magazines (Pistol #1) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

4.4 PISTOL #3
This pistol shall be designated as a “compact”, and shall include a compact frame and compact slide combination.

4.4.1 Height: shall be between 4.00” and 4.90”
4.4.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
4.4.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.00”
4.4.4 Weight: shall not exceed 28 ounces
4.4.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.00” and 3.80”
4.4.6 Modularity: Compatibility with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm is preferred but not required. Shall accept full size and mid-size magazines (Pistol #1 and Pistol #2) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

The apparent ability to swap slides between the G19 and G26 is interesting too.

If you think about it, Glock really only has one model which comes in various sizes and calibers so modularity is long over due.

I’ve been shooting Glocks since 1989 and have no qualms stating the Gen 5 / M models are the best Glocks to date. Personally I want to see a G45 MOS but I’m sure the G47 will work for those it is intended for

C-grunt
04-10-19, 00:09

It's a Gen5 trigger. Look at the picture on page 1.

parishioner
04-10-19, 00:11
This started on the Gen 5 G26 and G34 and has continued on the G45 all the Gen 5 MOS models. My nderstanding is it will be the standard going forward.

Thanks, wasn’t aware. Only saw threads popping up about it related to the 45.

HCM
04-10-19, 00:52
Thanks, wasn’t aware. Only saw threads popping up about it related to the 45.

My understanding is it holds the case against the breech face so the ejector can give it the full smack every time. The new geometry is enough to hold a loaded cartridge against the breech face with extractor tension alone. Here is a picture showing the case rim held in the little cutout:

gunnerblue
04-10-19, 10:06
Considering that the 26 and 19MOS that are also part of the award say Gen 5 along side DHS CBP on the slide on the announcement propaganda Glock put out, I would assume that they have Gen 5 Triggers. It would be strange for Glock to submit the older design and even stranger to submit a proposal with old and new trigger designs when all three guns could otherwise interchange trigger parts at will.

Understood. I kept hearing otherwise but this makes sense

Doc Safari
04-10-19, 11:09
DANG YOU, GLOCK. Just when I thought, "I don't need any more guns."

Here's some more info:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/04/luis-valdes/us-customs-and-border-protection-adopts-the-brand-new-glock-g47-9mm/

What makes this pistol different? It appears to be a G45 frame with a G17L-size slide. The slide appears to be swappable with the G45. Additionally, the gun is RMR-ready.

Sam
04-10-19, 11:29
They should just hire Chuck Norris.

https://i.imgur.com/IceKA5i.jpg

jpmuscle
04-10-19, 11:46
So is it RMR specific or MOS? Because if it’s the former that’s pretty baller

Biggy
04-10-19, 13:25

https://i.imgur.com/IceKA5i.jpg

Glock really has hired him as their new spokesman. Taking Gunny's place. Chuck doesn't need to shoot the bullets, he can through them at supersonic speed, he just carries for show.

Arik
04-10-19, 13:54

https://i.imgur.com/IceKA5i.jpgGlock is sending Chuck Norris to the border

Arik
04-10-19, 13:57
What does a G45 frame do that a G17 frame doesn't?

call_me_ski
04-10-19, 13:58
What does a G45 frame do that a G17 frame doesn't? also fit a Glock 19 slide.

drtywk
04-10-19, 15:59

Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS and the G47 is also an MOS upper.

Pappabear
04-10-19, 19:12
Im not a Glock guy but recognize their good guns. I would imagine just about everyone will be happy to move away from .40 and what guns did they have? I saw some of the guys using HK guns. I love HK, but those triggers require a bit off work and a lot of practice. I have a friend just hired on, and he is pumped about it.

PB

Tokarev
04-10-19, 19:16
Im not a Glock guy but recognize their good guns. I would imagine just about everyone will be happy to move away from .40 and what guns did they have? I saw some of the guys using HK guns. I love HK, but those triggers require a bit off work and a lot of practice. I have a friend just hired on, and he is pumped about it.

PBGeneral issue is the P2000 with LEM trigger. There are a few other guns mixed in but 99% of CBP is using the 2000.

As a whole, the guns are generally disliked. They are reliable and generally durable outside a trigger spring that tends to break. The biggest complaint is trigger. As you mention, it takes a lot of work to master.

I am not a Glock guy but will certainly not miss the HK. Good riddance!

Arik
04-10-19, 19:43
General issue is the P2000 with LEM trigger. There are a few other guns mixed in but 99% of CBP is using the 2000.

As a whole, the guns are generally disliked. They are reliable and generally durable outside a trigger spring that tends to break. The biggest complaint is trigger. As you mention, it takes a lot of work to master.

I am not a Glock guy but will certainly not miss the HK. Good riddance!

Sent from my SM-G930P using TapatalkThe one model of HK I actually like....the LEM model

Tokarev
04-10-19, 19:45
The one model of HK I actually like....the LEM modelYucko!

Arik
04-10-19, 20:15
Yucko!

Sent from my SM-G930P using TapatalkHa! I actually find them smooth and light. I know they're a little long but trigger pull weight is what bothers me most. Compared to the 25# DA/SA I'll take a LEM anytime

RHINOWSO
04-10-19, 20:49
The question keeps coming up - why the Glock 47 instead of a 17 MOS ?

The answer is it got Glock an $85 million contract for 60,000 pistols and associated support gear and services.

Why / how did it get Glock the CBP contract?

The ability to swap the slides of the G19 and G47 and vice versa meets the modularity requirement of the CBP Statement Of Work (SOW).

You can read the SOW here: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=2a1741a332858217dac833786f212472

The apparent ability to swap slides between the G19 and G26 is interesting too.

If you think about it, Glock really only has one model which comes in various sizes and calibers so modularity is long over due.

I’ve been shooting Glocks since 1989 and have no qualms stating the Gen 5 / M models are the best Glocks to date. Personally I want to see a G45 MOS but I’m sure the G47 will work for those it is intended for

Glock Checked SIGs modularity, as it was written directly for them.

Tokarev
04-10-19, 21:41
Glock Checked SIGs modularity, as it was written directly for them.That's not really true. While a level or modularity was part of CBP's requirement the specs were written with no particular brand or model in mind.

RHINOWSO
04-10-19, 22:37
That's not really true. While a level or modularity was part of CBP's requirement the specs were written with no particular brand or model in mind.

Yeah, I've got some oceanfront property to sell ya in Arizona... ;)

Tokarev
04-10-19, 22:52
Yeah, I've got some oceanfront property to sell ya in Arizona... ;)Believe what you wish. I was there when the RFI and later SOW was written.

HCM
04-11-19, 04:27
Glock Checked SIGs modularity, as it was written directly for them.

Everyone said the. FBI RFI and SOW were written for the P320 and we know how that turned out.

HCM
04-11-19, 04:35

If you read the SOW, it specified a modular optics mount capable of accepting both the RMR and DPP.

Buying 60,000 RMR cut guns to take your agency into the next 10-15 years would not be “baller.” It would be stupid and short sighted. Why buy guns cut only for an optic which may be obsolete half way through the guns service life?

The Aimpoint ACCRO May take MRDS to the next level in the next decade but if it doesn’t something else will.

NWPilgrim
04-11-19, 12:54
Believe what you wish. I was there when the RFI and later SOW was written.

I was impressed it was written purely from the functional perspective and specifying a technology such as “internal frame that can be used in multiple outer frames.” Having written govt RFI and RFPs it is a challenge when seeking new capabilities to not slip into limiting the technical approach and stay focused on the functionality needed yet protecting from some weird lame overly optimized solution as well. Good job!

Tokarev
04-11-19, 16:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHgbxMqLY0&feature=youtu.be

call_me_ski
04-11-19, 18:26
It would be a shame if they don’t sell it. Also that video does not convey anything that was obvious from reading the RFP and looking at a picture other than the 11rd mags for the 26.

Edit: I can’t see this not becoming more widely available. There are plenty of benefits of parts commonality that many agencies and even consumers will want.

jpmuscle
04-11-19, 19:15
If you read the SOW, it specified a modular optics mount capable of accepting both the RMR and DPP.

Buying 60,000 RMR cut guns to take your agency into the next 10-15 years would not be “baller.” It would be stupid and short sighted. Why buy guns cut only for an optic which may be obsolete half way through the guns service life?

The Aimpoint ACCRO May take MRDS to the next level in the next decade but if it doesn’t something else will.

Well, the DPP sucks so there

FlyingHunter
04-11-19, 20:40

My experience with the DPP has been completely positive.
Back to the OP - I hope the good guys always have the best equipment to keep them safe. Glocks with red dots is a strong combination.

lsllc
04-11-19, 20:42
I know several guys who only get a few thousand rounds from DPPs. They all suggest having two extras so that you don’t have down time; two to be in repair, one as a backup, and one in your pistol.

Yet, they keep buying them. Why? They are the best available option for competition.

Tokarev
04-11-19, 20:47
I know several guys who only get a few thousand rounds from DPPs. They all suggest having two extras so that you don’t have down time; two to be in repair, one as a backup, and one in your pistol.

Yet, they keep buying them. Why? They are the best available option for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI have one I've been using on an AR SBR for a couple years. It has been completely reliable. I even used it in a 3 day Buck Doyle recce class.

With that said it is not getting slapped back and forth at high speed as it would on a pistol.

HCM
04-11-19, 22:41

You are not telling me anything I don’t know. It’s like the EoTech of MRDS - great when it works but reliability is lacking.

These guns should be in duty holsters by 2021. The point is what foot print will be used on the best MRDS available in 2031 or 2036 ? The last CBP handgun was adopted in 2004/5 and they still have new guns left over that will go in the shredder.You have to look at what is going to get you through a 10-15 year service life.

Tokarev
04-15-19, 09:13
http://soldiersystems.net/2019/04/15/the-cbp-pistol-program-was-close/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Big A
04-17-19, 08:36
I wanted a G45MOS but now I want a G47MOS....

Dorsai
04-24-19, 23:40
That's not really true. While a level or modularity was part of CBP's requirement the specs were written with no particular brand or model in mind.

I have no idea if S&W submitted their M&P 2.0 or not, but you can swap the Full-size, 5" and 4" Compact slides on the Full-size and Compact frames without issue. The 5" and 4.25" Full-size pistols fall within the specs for the CBP pistol #1, and the 4" Compact meets the CBP Pistol #2 spec. S&W falls short however in regards to CBP pistol #3. They don't have one. I'm sure they could have created one and maybe they did, but that hasn't been disclosed since they didn't win the contract. If S&W offers a sub-compact M&P roughly the same size as the G26, we can make a fair assumption that they also made a bid. In reading the language of the STATEMENT OF WORK, it is flexible enough for Glock, S&W, FN or Sig. I don't see that it was so tightly written as to exclude any of the major manufacturers unless they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make a gun to match, such as S&W and the CBP pistol# 3.

Tokarev
04-25-19, 06:17
I have no idea if S&W submitted their M&P 2.0 or not, but you can swap the Full-size, 5" and 4" Compact slides on the Full-size and Compact frames without issue. The 5" and 4.25" Full-size pistols fall within the specs for the CBP pistol #1, and the 4" Compact meets the CBP Pistol #2 spec. S&W falls short however in regards to CBP pistol #3. They don't have one. I'm sure they could have created one and maybe they did, but that hasn't been disclosed since they didn't win the contract. If S&W offers a sub-compact M&P roughly the same size as the G26, we can make a fair assumption that they also made a bid. In reading the language of the STATEMENT OF WORK, it is flexible enough for Glock, S&W, FN or Sig. I don't see that it was so tightly written as to exclude any of the major manufacturers unless they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make a gun to match, such as S&W and the CBP pistol# 3.S&W does not make an optics ready 2.0. Not that I know of at least. That would preclude them from getting a contract.

If I worked for Smith I would have taken a couple dozen slides to a local machine shop and had them cut for an RMR in order to be able to submit for testing.

Dorsai
04-25-19, 09:00
S&W does not make an optics ready 2.0. Not that I know of at least. That would preclude them from getting a contract.

If I worked for Smith I would have taken a couple dozen slides to a local machine shop and had them cut for an RMR in order to be able to submit for testing.

Supposedly, S&W has a CORE model 2.0 that will be released at the NRA show. If they didn't, it wouldn't have been a big deal to machine up some slides for the entry. The harder part is a sub-compact equivalent to the G26. S&W is still making the "1.0" Compact, but I think that is a non-starter. Your other two guns are the newest tech, with improvements, but the sub-compact is an old hand-me-down. Glock had a much easier job of it. They were already 90% there. They had to do a change to the machining of the G17 slide to give it a longer recoil spring plug (something I think they were already planning), a mold change for the G26, and probably the most expensive, a new G26 magazine. It's my understanding that the CBP version is an 11+1. With all that, I'll still agree with the earlier state that the CBP Statement of Work had enough maneuver room to fit any of the big makers who could deliver 3 different guns.

Tokarev
04-25-19, 09:25
S&W is still making the "1.0" Compact, but I think that is a non-starter.

Yeah, that's right. I was thinking Smith made a 2.0 sub-compact but that's the Shield and not the double stack. So I guess they weren't ready on a couple fronts.

04rwon
05-07-19, 14:13
I wanted a G45MOS but now I want a G47MOS....

Just need the slide for the 45 and youre good to go