PDA

View Full Version : Best paint to use to paint rifle

lwoper
11-08-08, 20:24
I am considering painting my rifle after seeing all the pics of these rifles on here, just a few suggestions would be appriciated

bkb0000
11-08-08, 21:30
all ive ever used is flat rustoleum. a lot of guys use hot paints- grill enamel, stove paint, etc. i think a lot of guys around here use regular ol krylon camo paint.

George02
11-08-08, 21:35
I was going to use brownells oven paint, looks promising

boltcatch
11-08-08, 22:16
If you're painting it for the purpose of making it "Not A Big Black Stick", a little attention with a roll of masking tape, a can of denatured alchohol, and a couple cans of Krylon extra flat Camo spraypaint will work just fine. Cheap, too.

It will hold up more than well enough to serve its purpose, and there is enough paint in a couple of spray cans to touch it up for a few years.

natebick
11-08-08, 22:48
How well does the krylon hold up to solvents?

George02
11-08-08, 23:25
How well does the krylon hold up to solvents?

X2 and does it scratch peel easy?

lwoper
11-09-08, 20:11
i would like to keep the black showin a little and just try to break it up a little. How about paintin the optic? any tips

bkb0000
11-09-08, 20:36
i would like to keep the black showin a little and just try to break it up a little. How about paintin the optic? any tips

i've never actually painted an optic.. mine all seem paintable.. i'd make sure it's matte.. degrease and paint away. it'll probably chip off after a while, but that happens.

one thing people should consider a little is that painting ARs, or any gun, for that matter, is not really something you're doing to IMPROVE the look of the gun... it sure as shit does look cool, but the main purpose is for concealment. it always wears off to some degree- usually a large degree in spots, unless you do some kind of bake-on product- but there have been some people who've pointed out that baking your guns may do other things to them that may or may not be cool. like ****ing with the metal temper, and so forth. i have no idea. do research first, if you're gonna put your gat in an oven.

So really, just degrease the biatch, shake some cans up, and let 'er rip... you're gonna be repainting again soon enough anyway, if your weapon spends any time out of the safe. so no need to fret over doing a "good" job, in my opinion.

BRAAIJR
11-09-08, 23:37
i have and good luck with MilSPec SpayPaint in the Flower Power can u can not beet it.

decodeddiesel
11-10-08, 20:19
i have and good luck with MilSPec SpayPaint in the Flower Power can u can not beet it.

:confused:

That's funny, aside from CARC I wasn't aware of any "MilSPec" spray paint.

BRAAIJR
11-10-08, 23:00
:confused:

That's funny, aside from CARC I wasn't aware of any "MilSPec" spray paint.

Yea the Flower Power paint it is the beat all I have paint everything from ak's m4's helmets.

bkb0000
11-10-08, 23:09
i searched for it then, and i just searched for it again... what the hell is flower power paint?

BRAAIJR
11-10-08, 23:19
i searched for it then, and i just searched for it again... what the hell is flower power paint?

I can't remember the exact manufacturer the can looks like it fell out of RainBowBrites purse.

U can find it at Surplus stores or it you know any mil motor pool guys it is use to touchup Vehicles and equipment.

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-12-08, 00:32
I may be new to the AR forum, but this I do know something about. I know it's a little pricey but I would never use anything other than Duracoat on an expensive rifle. Actually I would never use anything that is not a two part, or catylized coating (there are others like Duracoat but I haven't used them). Anything but, is not desighed to stand up to the mildest of solvents. If you take your time and prep it properly, you'll have a finish that could last as long as the original coating.
Why would you spend a grand or more on your rifle and use a $4.00 can of paint on it that will just peel off. If you don't care about durability or how much work it will take to get it back off, use whatever you want.

bkb0000
11-12-08, 03:18
Why would you spend a grand or more on your rifle and use a $4.00 can of paint on it that will just peel off. If you don't care about durability or how much work it will take to get it back off, use whatever you want.

'cause its a pain in the dick to put on. sounds like you've done it a time or two- you're in my neck of the woods, wanna do mine? I'll supply paint for yours and mine, if you'll paint yours and mine.

usp_fan
11-13-08, 11:46
I'm a big fan of KG products Gunkote. It is a spray and bake finish. The temps it cures at will not harm the metal in your rifle. Plastic is likely another story.

It is easy to apply over parkerized finishes. However, they must be completely degreased and an airbrush is the preferred method to apply the paint. Other surfaces may need to be sand blasted first.

It's not for everyone and there are some start up costs, but the finish is very durable, weather resistant, and adds some lubricating properties as well.

Just to compare, I painted an FAL with black spray paint and a 1911 with Gunkote. Both were painted over fresh parkerizing. The 1911 finish lasted much longer and held up to solvents. I eventually stripped the FAL and gunkoted it as well.

I've just finished a barrel, fh, and shaved gas block. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

--usp_fan

uscbigdawg
11-14-08, 08:37
Krylon is all we've ever used. We never cared about how it resists solvents or # of coatings or frankly how it looks. It's a rifle and it's meant to be shot....A LOT. If you want it to look pretty and new again...spray it again.

Rich

Don Robison
11-14-08, 08:46
All I've ever used was krylon. The last one I stripped down took 6 cans of carb cleaner and a scrub brush to clean the paint off, IMHO that is plenty durable enough.

lwoper
11-14-08, 20:19
so your saying if u want it to last use durakote or similar, if u want to redo it in a few months use krylon. i would spen the extra and do the durakote

.308holes
11-14-08, 20:36
I have been using Duracoat for about 5 years, I have used Krylon and exterior grade spray on paints before, but there is no protection that Duracoat provides.
I spray alot of guns that spend time in rain and snow that increases rust, Duracoat (once properly let to cure) will be very durable and protect the metal from the elements.
Easy prep and application, if you have the room and good ventilation (also needed for Krylon anyway)

You pattern is what will make it look good, so the order of the colors and 3M work is important.

Apollo11
11-15-08, 19:58
I have a bipod painted with Krylon, it has held up great. The only scratches are on the feet and where the bipod legs rotate down. If you want cheap and easy you cannot beat the extra flat camo paint. Just remember use a LIGHT coat, allow to dry and reapply to desired thickness. You won't get the full durability until a week later IIRC.

For a more long term solution I would stick to Cerakote. I have two bolt guns done in it and the finnish is quite tough.