PDA

View Full Version : Factory rifles with CArbon Fiber Handguards

SBRSarge
04-10-19, 04:20
As title says, I’m wondering who makes factory rifles with Carbon Fiber handguards.

Thanks for any input you can give.

ogtruckin
04-10-19, 06:23
Christensen Arms does. They also make carbon fiber wrapped barrels if that's your thing?

everready73
04-10-19, 07:23
Faxon has a complete rifle with their carbon fiber handguards and some uppers as well. They are expensive for what they are IMO. Most options will be pricey because they will be lightweight guns.

I would personally just build something with a pencil barrel, cf handguards, and some other choice lightweight parts to control the costs somewhat. That is if i was into the whole ultra light thing which i am not. I can live with the weight of BCM, SLR, and some other high quality handguards

1911-A1
04-10-19, 07:41
How does CF handle being dropped, smacked, etc? Light is cool I guess but not if it's brittle.

Defaultmp3
04-10-19, 09:39
Lancer makes both carbon fiber handguards and rifles that utilize them, though I remain wary of their overall rifles given some of the component choices.

https://lancer-systems.com/awc/modern-sporting-rifles/

GH41
04-10-19, 13:40
How does CF handle being dropped, smacked, etc? Light is cool I guess but not if it's brittle.

With CF and other high tech laminates the durability is determined by the laminate schedule. The problem I have with CF tubes cut for Mlok or KeyMod holes is many of the fibers that give it strength are severed when the slots are milled. Do you know how a level wind fishing reel works? CF tubes are made the same way. Every CF strand you cut weakens the tube. Imagine hitting an aluminum tube hard enough to dent it then hit the CF tube with the same force. The hammer might bounce off with no apparent damage but if you continue to pound on it until it fails the failure will be catastrophic. I'll stick to aluminum.

MistWolf
04-10-19, 14:05
Slots cut in an aluminum handguard also weakens the material. Carbon fiber handguards have the advantage of not getting as hot or sucking the heat out of your hands when it's cold like aluminum does.

tlw613sp
04-11-19, 08:47
Slots cut in an aluminum handguard also weakens the material. Carbon fiber handguards have the advantage of not getting as hot or sucking the heat out of your hands when it's cold like aluminum does.

Sure, but the aluminum's strength isn't from tension in the fibers. Cutting fibers in carbon is way different than just cutting aluminum. Honestly, I doubt it matters much on a handguard, but the only reason carbon fiber has any strength is that its fibers are held in tension.

MistWolf
04-11-19, 12:31
Heh! I've had two carbon fiber handguards for years and they're holding up well. I don't go around bashing on rocks, but I don't baby them any more than my Magpul Slimlines (I don't like metal handguards).

ABNAK
04-11-19, 18:10
I had an AR built with a Colt 6720 barrel with the FSB shaved down and a Lancer CF handguard. Light as hell. I traded the gun to a buddy for a Norinco AK a couple of years ago. I think the CF could withstand a drop or "bang" of reasonable force. Would I drop it from a helicopter or off a cliff, run it over, or smack it with a hammer? No, but I wouldn't with an aluminum handguard either.

I have to admit they are kinda cool, although none of my AR's now has one.

scottryan
04-12-19, 12:23
Slots cut in an aluminum handguard also weakens the material.

Nope.

Different type of failure method.

You can't cut a slot or hole in CF and use the hole edges as a load bearing surface, which both MLOK and Keymod fasteners do. It is not any different than trying to make a handguard out of wood.

A wood MLOK slot wouldn't last one installation without it being ripped out.

You have to install or embed a metallic insert as a piece of "meat" to attached hardware into.

All intelligently designed CF structures have aluminum, steel, or titanium structures wound or embedded into them where high loading or other hardware attachment occurs.

A CF structure is just a glorified piece of plywood

TomMcC
04-12-19, 15:57
Pretty nice piece of plywood at that.

Been using an Apex CF HG for some years now on my 3gun rifle. Has held up well. Hasn't fallen to pieces at the slots (have only attached a bottom handstop), still tight at the barrel nut. The thing is super light...6.5 oz. including the hardware. I probably wouldn't use it for a hard use rifle, although I don't baby my 3gun rifle. Overall, I'm quite pleased with this piece of wood.

SBRSarge
04-12-19, 22:09
I have to say that I am enjoying reading the continued input. Thanks to all who are chiming in with their experience.

My use would not be combat. It would entail lots of rounds training (where I want to avoid burning myself on a hot handguard) and bumping around in a patrol car for years and probably never seeing shots fired in ernest. But you never know!