PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights

Delta1067
11-08-08, 21:12
I use iron sights and am looking into getting a tritium front sight post. I am leaning towards the 24/7 Tritium Stripe from XS Sight Systems. http://www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html

1. What are the opinions on shooting with a night sight system?

2. Do I need to get the tritium rear sight as well? I am leaning towards only buying the front sight.

3. What brand would you recommend? and Why?

Eric
11-08-08, 21:48
2. Do I need to get the tritium rear sight as well? I am leaning towards only buying the front sight.
Good call. Your eyeball is too close to the rear sight to effectively use the illumination and it can actually become more of a distraction.

ehcarl2983
11-08-09, 16:03
I'm also interested in the same information. I'm trying to decide between the trijicon, and XS front stripe tritium sight. My concerns are: 1) that the front stripe is wider than a standard post (i could not find measurements on their sight). 2) I have an eotech mounted in front of my rear, and want to make sure that tritium out front won't affect my ability to shoot in low light.

DOA
11-08-09, 16:59
I wouldnt bother with tritium rears as I think it would be a distraction. Just tritium front.

Preferred User
11-08-09, 20:35
The 24/7 Tritium Stripe with the CSAT rear sight is what I ended up with after many recommendations including one from XS.

BillSWPA
11-08-09, 21:35
I've been using an XS tritium front sight with a standard A2 rear sight. My sight, which does not appear to be listed anymore, is a rectangular post with a standard size dot insert. The extra width is not much of a problem, particularly with the well-defined top corners on the front post. Avoid the front posts with the rounded top.

I agree with the comments made above that a tritium rear would not be helpful with the rear sight close to the eye.

You will also go from 1/2 minute of angle front sight adjustments to 2 minute of angle front sight adjustments (1/4 turn for a standard post v. a full turn for the tritium sight). This has not been much of an issue for me.

Edited to add: upon gaining some more recent experience in a carbine class, the wide post was definitely a detriment. I am back to a standard A2 post.

faithmyeyes
11-09-09, 12:00
I asked a couple of more experienced shooters about night sights for a carbine, and I was essentially advised to save the money toward a light and an Aimpoint.

That made sense when I stopped to think about it - I couldn't imagine a low-light scenario with the carbine where I wouldn't need illumination for target ID, and by experimenting with a handheld flashlight I determined that a lit-up target presented a high enough contrast with the sights that a tritium dot wouldn't have made a sight picture any easier. And an Aimpoint or other RDS is useful in any lighting conditions.

You didn't say exactly what your intended use is, but for my purpose of defensive-type shooting it made more sense to put the tritium dots on the pistol and save for a mounted light on the carbine.

fme

rychencop
11-09-09, 16:07
worthless on a rifle IMO. i agree, use the $$ to buy a light and maybe a RDS.

JHC
11-09-09, 20:20
I've seen the trit fronts endorsed by some pretty strong BTDT folks. Backup options are a way of life for some with the places they go and the things they do. I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Esp is you already have the light and RDS covered.

Here's a scenario. You've already ID'd the threat with your white light which has been promptly shot out. Now your taking incoming fire. I think your ID the threat box has officially been checked. Stay dark and hit back.

seb5
11-09-09, 21:07
I realize it's another tool in the toolbox but can't see any reason for them. If someone can convince me I am open to suggestions. In your house, no go, not needed. Longer range, red dot is superior in every way. It could even affect the RDS if in the standard sight tower but can't confirm this.

If a guy just shot out your light you know where he's at and have more pressing issues.

JHC
11-09-09, 21:17
More pressing issues that shooting him?

BillSWPA
11-09-09, 23:11
Has anyone here ever used an Aimpoint or similar sight in low light?

I have never used an Aimpoint in low light except in conjunction with a night vision device, but the Trijicon illuminated dot sight I very briefly used had poor light transmission in low light, making it totally useless unless one's light was on. (Besides, my experience with this sight as well as a C-More in daylight made me a believer in iron sights).

I am interested in anyone else's experiences here.

seb5
11-10-09, 00:21
Has anyone here ever used an Aimpoint or similar sight in low light?

I have never used an Aimpoint in low light except in conjunction with a night vision device, but the Trijicon illuminated dot sight I very briefly used had poor light transmission in low light, making it totally useless unless one's light was on. (Besides, my experience with this sight as well as a C-More in daylight made me a believer in iron sights).

I am interested in anyone else's experiences here.

Bill,

I've used the various Aimpoints numerous times lowlight situations. Some in training, mostly on manhunts and search warrants. I can't say I've pulled the trigger but had a few suspects in my sight over the last dozen years. In my experience if you had enough ambient light to identify the target as a threat placing the red dot where needed was not an issue. If it was necessary to light the target up initially, usually the target became disoriented, again it was easy to find and place the dot. I was one of the first officers to buy tritiums for my pistols and shotguns in the early 1990's and am a believer in them but just have not found the same utility for the rifle tritiums. I am in no way proclaiming myself the endall and am willing to listen to others but at this point just see the advantage.

BillSWPA
11-10-09, 00:42
Bill,

I've used the various Aimpoints numerous times lowlight situations. Some in training, mostly on manhunts and search warrants. I can't say I've pulled the trigger but had a few suspects in my sight over the last dozen years. In my experience if you had enough ambient light to identify the target as a threat placing the red dot where needed was not an issue. If it was necessary to light the target up initially, usually the target became disoriented, again it was easy to find and place the dot. I was one of the first officers to buy tritiums for my pistols and shotguns in the early 1990's and am a believer in them but just have not found the same utility for the rifle tritiums. I am in no way proclaiming myself the endall and am willing to listen to others but at this point just see the advantage.

Thanks for the reply. That is certainly more experience in the subject than I can claim.

the.2nd1
11-10-09, 13:22
I've got the Trijicon Front and rear sights on mine.I tried it both ways front sight only and front and rear sight too.They work best for me to have the front and rear sights instead of front sight only.I find if it's really dark the rear sights helps me to line up the front sight better.
Go ahead and order both sights and if you don't like the rear sight installed just leave it off.However if you are like me you'll need both the front and rear sights for proper alignment.

the_fallguy
11-11-09, 01:30
Delta1067, are you running an A2 rear sight or an A1? The reason I ask is the XS fronts only adjust every four clicks, which is fine with the A2, but not good for the A1 (which is what I use in my BUIS). The Trijicons are good to go for one click adjustments.

With that having been said, I would still invest my $$ in a RDS and a light as well. My specific needs require target ID. I do use tritium sights on my pistol as it helps me to index the gun even in total darkness, but a carbine has such a repeatable cheek weld I don't find the tritium sights necessary to do the same thing.

Delta1067
11-12-09, 13:54
Man I started this thread about a year ago and only got a couple of responses.

Delta1067, are you running an A2 rear sight or an A1?

I am running a A2 Rear sight in a permanent carry handle. A year ago, I chose the XS front sight with the 24/7 Tritium Stripe. On the rear sight I installed the dual plane aperture without any tritium. I have been very happy with this set up. The front post is very easy to pick up.

In the near future I plan on putting together a second rifle and will be adding a Aimpoint with fold down BUIS.

Gibbles
11-12-09, 14:19
Check out the truglo TFO front sight.
It has fiber optic and tritium

the_fallguy
11-12-09, 15:03
A year ago, huh? Color me embarrassed...:o

I actually planned on getting the 24/7 or the white striped front sight from XS, but I decided not to after I found out they weren't single click adjustable, and I use a flip sight with no elevation adjustment.

I am actually using the XS CSAT rear aperture, though, and thoroughly impressed with it. I sighted it in to be three inches high at 100 yds, and have been working on memorizing the hold over/under to make hits from 25 to 300 yds. I was skeptical of this idea at first, but after shooting multiple distances (from 7 to 300 yards) without adjusting the sights, I am sold on this setup.

I just wish that XS would make a front sight that was single click adjustable, or that I could find a flip rear sight that has elevation adjustment, A1 style windage, and is still low profile enough that I could use a magnifier above it.... I guess that's asking for a little too much.

notorious_ar15
11-12-09, 19:59
Anyone interested could also check out the Meprolight model ML-31615.

It has a skinny front post, with a tritium dot at the base. I prefer this over the thick stripe tritium posts.

Also, the sight post and dot are on a seperate 'turret'. So you set your elevation with the bottom 'turret', and then turn the top one so that the tritium faces you.