PDA

View Full Version : Which spare parts do you keep on hand?

frogger
11-08-08, 21:13
I read that in some drafts of HR 1022 (the new AWB the Dems have been trying to pass for years) that it no only bans the manufacture of AR-15 type rifles, but it bans the manufacture of replacement parts. This made me think it would be a good idea to have a small supply of the most likely to break parts. I saw that Bushmaster has a kit that has all the springs, pins and detents from the entire gun, plus a few other parts like the firing pin, disconnector and a few others. I thought this might be a good start, but I wanted to see what you guys think. What do you think would be good to have on hand... just in case?

Robb Jensen
11-08-08, 21:27
Bolts
Buffer springs
Trigger, hammer and disconnector springs
Cam pins
Firing pins
Firing pin retaining pins
Extractors, extractor pins, extractor springs and black buffers and Crane O-rings
Ejectors and ejector springs
Triggers, hammers and disconnectors
Gas tubes and gas tube roll pins
Carrier gas keys and screws
Gas rings

Eric
11-08-08, 21:38
Great list gotm4. And of course, add in a boatload of mags. :)

lalakai
11-08-08, 23:04
Bolts
Buffer springs
Cam pins
Firing pins
Extractors, extractor pins, extractor springs and black buffers and Crane O-rings
Gas rings

............he keeps all of it in a trench coat........................."pppsssstttt hey, want to see what i got?":eek:

sorry, couldn't resist

No.6
11-08-08, 23:15
Know what I'm going to ask for Christmas....

SeriousStudent
11-08-08, 23:47
Bolts
Buffer springs
Cam pins
Firing pins
Gas rings

Robb,

Thanks very much for the list. That along with that tools list you posted is what I am working with.

I went to the store last month, and picked up a little plastic fishing box - one of those white plastic ones with dividers. I made some printed labels for the compartments, and am putting it all together with some instructions so my kids can use them to repair my rifles.

I'm doing the same thing for the Glocks and Sigs as well. Plus I put away extra mag springs and followers for the pistols and rifles.

Then I wrote another check to the NRA.

Crap, this makes me sad. I know my rifles and pistols will outlast me, but I don't want my children doing gunsmithing while looking over their shoulders.

RogerinTPA
11-09-08, 09:00
I can't remember during the previous AWB, but were any of these parts on the ban list back then? Thanks for the great info by the way.

Bolts
Buffer springs
Cam pins
Firing pins
Gas rings

No.6
11-09-08, 09:26
I can't remember during the previous AWB, but were any of these parts on the ban list back then? Thanks for the great info by the way.

Just evil black rifles and huge capacity magazines, not parts per se.
Unfortunately for us, they've learned something from the error of their ways.
No, not that a ban doesn't work. More like, making the (potential) ban much more all encompassing.

sandpacker21
11-09-08, 13:21
Thanks for all the input. One more question i thought of. How many rounds before all of this stuff typicaly starts breaking? As a newbie thie replys have me wondering are quality AR's very prone to breakage? Im am new to AR's and the replies have me wondering if one should buy a dozen parts kits...

I have been under the impressoing that most AR's that are taken care of are very reliable and dont break often. Am I under the wrong impression?

mmike87
11-10-08, 09:38
Are there any good "kits" that have assortments of springs, pins, and other small parts handy rather than hunting for each little part individually?

I found this page at CMMG:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?cat=28&shop=1&

They have some spring and pin kits that look interesting. Aside from the blue extractor insert, would these small parts be a good buy, or are we really better off sourcing individual parts? If the latter, what manufacturers are preferred who sell the small parts seperately?

St.Michael
11-10-08, 11:54
when shtf i think it's going to come down to what you have buy it all up. i mean why not. brand name or not we need it.

Submariner
11-10-08, 11:56

Sources?

Eric
11-10-08, 16:12
Sources?
www.brownells.com
Key (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17530&title=BOLT%20CARRIER%20KEY&s=41149#41149)
Screws (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17529&title=BOLT%20CARRIER%20KEY%20SCREW&s=41134#41134)

Bimmer
11-10-08, 17:49
Are there any good "kits" that have assortments of springs, pins, and other small parts handy rather than hunting for each little part individually?

This is what I did... I got one of the "repair kits" from DPMS or whomever. It was $30 (or $50?) and it seems to contain at least one of all the little parts.

I know that DPMS-sourced parts aren't ideal, but I bet that in an emergency, they'll do.

It was a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than trying to source all the parts individually...

flyer
11-11-08, 11:43
What we need is for Grant to put together a spare parts kit to go with his lower parts kit. Hopefully he will be able to get something together. If not then possibly BCM could do something. At a minimum, perhaps they could offer a supply pack of their carrier and bolt parts.

Bimmer
11-11-08, 11:52
Yes, this is a good idea... This would be a lot easier and cheaper than buying extra LPKs and complete bolts carrier groups as spares.

frogger
11-11-08, 19:58
I would love it if Grant would put together a quality spare parts kit. Since I plan to buy this stuff soon, I did it myself. After reading all the replies here and on other forums, here is what I came up with. Keep in mind, I already have one complete spare BCG and most of a Field Repair Kit minus a few parts I've had to use of the years. This is to support 2 AR's.

2x BCM Gas Key with Fasteners
2x BCM Receiver End Plate
2x BCM Receiver Extention Nut (Castle Nut)
2x Bushmaster The Lost Parts Kit for AR15 Type Rifle
1x Bushmaster Complete Spring Package, Telestock
1x Bushmaster Complete AR15/M16 Pin & Detent Package
2x Bushmaster Field Repair Kit
5x Adco Custom Real CRANE issue O-Ring
1x Rock River Lower Parts Kit
2x RRA Ejector (AR0041)
1x RRA Front sight post, square (AR0009)

Thanks for all the help guys.