PDA

View Full Version : Are handguards over top of suppressors really usable?

SBRSarge
04-14-19, 21:16
For moderate fire, for instance patrol rifle training where a few shots are fired and then a break of a few minutes occurs before a few more shots, will a handguard that extends over a suppressor get too hot? Is it unusable weight?

My experience has mostly been with non-recessed cans. I’ll welcome experiences from fellow users.

Thanks

Smokin338
04-15-19, 04:12
4-5 shots... don't worry
1 mag dump... watch where your putting your hands
2 dumps or more... hot is not even the word for it !

Most company's that are doing integral designs are using pretty light weight forends and shorter barrels. So in the end it's basic a wash compare to a standard 16" setup.

scottryan
04-15-19, 09:22
Retarded.

Cant shoot it without the suppressor attached.

Most of these integral "look" set ups are not really an integral suppressor.

An integral suppressor set up uses a ported barrel to bleed off pressure, like in an MP5SD.

Mrgunsngear
04-15-19, 13:20
For moderate fire, for instance patrol rifle training where a few shots are fired and then a break of a few minutes occurs before a few more shots, will a handguard that extends over a suppressor get too hot? Is it unusable weight?

My experience has mostly been with non-recessed cans. I’ll welcome experiences from fellow users.

Thanks
If you plan on extended firing cycles a polymer VFG is your friend here.

Todd.K
04-15-19, 13:33
If you want a 6" 300 Blackout to shoot mainly subs (or a pistol caliber) it gives you some much needed HG space. Subsonic heats up a lot slower, like pistol calibers.

Regular 5.56 will heat up fast. Too fast to be a good idea in my opinion. Plus 5.56 shouldn't be so short of a barrel that you can't make do with a HG that only covers the barrel.

Clint
04-15-19, 14:38
Depends on duty cycle.

Jump to 2:00 - 5 mags (150 rounds) full auto into it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWb0mI8CL3I

B Cart
04-15-19, 16:22
The only benefit I can see is in short barrels like a 7.5" 300 BLK, to give you more rail space. Another downside is if you are using a suppressor with a quick detach mount, it makes it really hard to lock and unlock, if it's under the rail.

SBRSarge
04-15-19, 17:04
Lots of great thoughts for me to weigh. Thanks to all.

Use wold be for a 8-9 inch 300BLK and I was wondering about getting more real estate on the rail.

In any event, the polymer foregrip is a wonderful idea!

Thanks again!

jackblack73
04-15-19, 17:17
Does it really even give you more real estate on the rail? The top rail, yes. But depending on the rail you might not have enough room to attach an M-Lok accessory, for example. I think the design of keymod would give more clearance though.

WickedWillis
04-15-19, 18:52
I have the extended suppressor rail for my Sig MCX, and was really hoping to use using it over my Trash panda (Whenever I get approved) but I have always been concerned with heat and so on.

Hell, even after a little bit of my BCM 11.5 with a 556 can that gas block gets super hot and makes it uncomfortable to have my hand near.

Clint
04-15-19, 19:02
How big is the ID of that rail?

The TP is pretty large.

I have the extended suppressor rail for my Sig MCX, and was really hoping to use using it over my Trash panda (Whenever I get approved) but I have always been concerned with heat and so on.

Hell, even after a little bit of my BCM 11.5 with a 556 can that gas block gets super hot and makes it uncomfortable to have my hand near.

WickedWillis
04-15-19, 19:23
How big is the ID of that rail?

The TP is pretty large.

I will measure it when I get home. Might not even be possible it sounds like. I have not physically put my hands on my TP yet, so my estimations might have been bad going into my idea

Clint
04-15-19, 19:40
The Trash Panda suppressor is larger than most at 1.75" OD, which makes it perform great, but won't fit under most hand guards.

Bluto
04-16-19, 20:12
I have a 6” 300blk with a screw on can under a handguard. I’ve done a couple of mag dumps using subsonic ammo and it’s not too bad. Don’t think I would do it with 5.56.

Also, as someone stated, can’t really shoot the gun without the can.