PDA

View Full Version : So I was watching Barney Miller...

Firefly
04-15-19, 06:30
There was a time when police could wear garish clothes, have far out hair, smoke in the office, look and possibly be half hung over by lunchtime and carried tiny five shot .38s in shoulder rigs.

People say Miami Vice was the “ideal aesthetic”: Italian cars, glamour weapons, 80s music, etc

But no... I say it all began and ended with Barney Miller. You knew it was dead serious if someone pulled a 1911 wrapped in an oily rag.

I hate the current era, I hate that we don’t crucify people, and I just don’t see why...

Why any of it. I know what it means now. I do.
Maybe I should get the redhead teenage girlfriend and the sports car or open a karate dojo(I dunno karate but I figure if I stay one lesson ahead of the kids I should be fine) or just go live amongst them amazon girls in the rainforest because the America that I knew is truly lost

gaijin
04-15-19, 09:41
Can't disagree.

Cheery thought for a Monday Ff. On the heals of watching Leon Russel inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.
It's all gone bro. Carry on.

Stickman
04-15-19, 12:03
There was a time when police could wear garish clothes, have far out hair, smoke in the office, look and possibly be half hung over by lunchtime and carried tiny five shot .38s in shoulder rigs.

People say Miami Vice was the “ideal aesthetic”: Italian cars, glamour weapons, 80s music, etc

But no... I say it all began and ended with Barney Miller. You knew it was dead serious if someone pulled a 1911 wrapped in an oily rag.

Cops didn't make squat for money back then, but the 60s would have been a fun time to be a cop, heck, even into the 70s. By the 80s and 90s, all the guys I know who worked the street said that real police work was over.

The_War_Wagon
04-15-19, 12:33
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kgn9aIpOmhE/hqdefault.jpg :cool:

soulezoo
04-15-19, 12:43
Yeah, and Fish (Abe Vigoda) was on the show 3 years before they realized he was dead... lol

docsherm
04-15-19, 12:53
Yeah, and Fish (Abe Vigoda) was on the show 3 years before they realized he was dead... lol

I always thought the same thing.........

:jester:

SteyrAUG
04-15-19, 13:18
I feel the same way when I watch Mad Men.

There was an era that I simply missed out on. Of course I'd be dead from second hand smoke or killed by one of the many drunk drivers so maybe it's just as well.

The_War_Wagon
04-15-19, 17:24
I feel the same way when I watch Mad Men.

There was an era that I simply missed out on. Of course I'd be dead from second hand smoke or killed by one of the many drunk drivers so maybe it's just as well.

I feel the same way watching Perry Mason. EVERYBODY was drinking & driving, drinking & boating, drinking & FLYING - the post-war/art deco/easy booze age is a wonder to watch, in retrospect...

markm
04-15-19, 17:34
As usual, I have no idea what Firefly is talking about.

But I have been watching Barney Miller lately on Laff TV.

"Mooshy Mooshy"

lowprone
04-15-19, 18:45
I think anytime someone brings out a .45 automatic, wrapped in a oily rag or not is serious.
Nobody ignores it and pretends it's not there, seriously !

SeriousStudent
04-15-19, 19:30
Back when Barney Miller was on the air, I felt like Wojo.

Most of the time these days, I creak like Fish getting out of his chair.

flenna
04-15-19, 19:41
I worked with a guy from that era, been with the PD for 30 years at the time (early 90's). We moved into a new, smoke free building where he continued to smoke because everyone on up to the mayor was afraid to tell him he couldn't. I loved talking to him. I would walk by his office and he'd say "Hey ------, get your ass in here!". At which point he would tell me stories of things they did in the old days, several of which the statute of limitations probably hadn't run out at the time. He passed away a few years ago along with that long gone era.

Firefly
04-15-19, 20:06
I think anytime someone brings out a .45 automatic, wrapped in a oily rag or not is serious.
Nobody ignores it and pretends it's not there, seriously !

What I'm saying is...that detectives of that era went up against some serious hoods and if they pulled out an auto pistol; it meant the gloves were coming off.
Usually kept in a drawer with some bourbon and lottery tickets.

Police nowadays look like the human cops from Robocop and it angers me.

There was a time in this country when you could beat the literal shit out of someone and leave them on the porch and it did more good than taking them to jail where they ca. eat good food, catch up on their BET, and hang out with their buddies

LMT Shooter
04-15-19, 21:16
There was a time in this country when you could beat the literal shit out of someone and leave them on the porch and it did more good than taking them to jail where they ca. eat good food, catch up on their BET, and hang out with their buddies

And if every voter today followed LEO's & CO's around to witness, in person & up close where you can smell the bad breath, 4-5 of the moments that show the true inhumanity of some of these cretins, it would be legal to do that today.