PDA

View Full Version : Consumerism and the AR15 - Are we here to shoot or to buy?

Eurodriver
04-15-19, 19:35
I finished new rifles this week. I had them at the range last weekend. Shot well. "Meh". Nothing really impressive about either. When I was putting them away, I realized they looked familiar. So I went into my "Sold Guns" folder on my computer and found a picture of my very first AR15 ever, and my second one ever.

jpmuscle
04-15-19, 19:41
M4Cs Dark knight rises yet again amidst the depths of mediocrity and #povertygat obscurity

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/29c56f2cf4a8cbf1d28b491aec342475.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/0d941d4a6370a73621450728c69ea2a6.jpg

Seriously this post needs to be a sticky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
04-15-19, 19:44
https://img.fireden.net/a/image/1544/52/1544524518009.png

This thread needed to happen and I hope it stings. Once I recoup the guns that worked for me I am so done.

All I unironically need is my SW Model 39 and a Garand anyways.

lsllc
04-15-19, 19:46
I’m much in the same boat. I have every configuration imaginable. Many high-end ARs grace my shelves. I have an AR that I purchased/assembled in 2007 that still sees 95% or my use. It has evolved. It has a Vortex, a free float rail, and a nice trigger. It’s a relatively simple rifle otherwise. Every few years it gets a brighter light.

I haven’t bought an AR or accessory in nearly four years until I got one of the rechargeable Surefire Scouts.

I’m boring. But my money is best spent on ammunition and training.

prepare
04-15-19, 19:59
Training is work.
Buying is easy. It can also become a expensive habit keeping up with all the new marketing and offerings that are continuously released.

Eurodriver
04-15-19, 20:09
Training is work.
Buying is easy.

238 posts in 3 and a half years.

Quality, not quantity right here folks.

That's straight up sig material.

Uni-Vibe
04-15-19, 20:11
I agree, to an extent. To each his own, but . . .

20 years ago I bought a Bushmaster M16A2 clone. It's still box-stock.

Last year I bought a 6920. Other than replacing the Magpul flip up rear sight with the correct A3 carry handle, it's still box stock and will remain so.

I just bought a Smith 15-22. I'm ordering the kit and parts to mod it to 6920 appearance.

Simple is better.

Biggy
04-15-19, 20:20
IMHO, there really is no right or wrong in what you buy or how you spend your money, as long as you buy quality and get proficient in using what you have. You can look back on the rifles LAV and many others SME’s have used in the last 5-10 years, and their rifle setups have also changed over the years due to advancements in components, etc.. In reality, for most people, it is mostly vanity and fantasy. In this life you only go around once and you can play your cards however you which before it’s game over.

jwfuhrman
04-15-19, 20:36
I’m in the same boat. Since joining this forum, taking classes, teaching classes, shooting competitions, buying, selling, building, modding, I’ve found my self always going back to 14.5in and 12.5in guns. Mostly 12.5. It will literally do everything I need it too. Right now I’ve got my personal guns down to 2 5.56 AR’s. 12.5in BCM Pistol with MRO and a 16in BCM AR with a 3-9 that’s about to be swapped for my 1-6. Between those 2 guns and my 16in 308 AR with 4-16, I’ve found I literally everything covered from 0 to 1000.

MegademiC
04-15-19, 21:03
10,000 empty casings dont look as cool as a extra foldy guns with punisher engravings.

In all seriousness the more I shoot, the less I care about gear.
And really, its not guns or shooting, people like you describe just wont get out and train... ever.

“I have to catch my show”
“My knee hurts”
“I worked a lot”
“My finger is sore”
Or they just have no interest.

Wake27
04-15-19, 21:08
I don’t get to shoot nearly as much as I like, so I buy shit instead. I should dry fire more and buy less, but I don’t know if I’ll ever see that as anything other than work. And I just like buying shit. That being said, you bring up a very good point about NODs. My problem is that if I’m spending more than $50, I want the best. After having played with PVS-15s and even a set of 31s, the 14s don’t seem worth the money while the nicer shit is on a level that I don’t know I’ll ever get to. Not logical, but that’s where I’m at.

stank
04-15-19, 22:11
Good post. I have 2 ARs that I got set up like I want and really don't see me buying more. I do like free float rails because I have seen shots go high at 200 - 300 yards when someone rest the end of a barrel (not handguards) on a barricade/prop. One less thing to worry about. Can't convince the wife to get nods when there are other life priorities with the family. I would rather spend my time shooting competitions than buying guns, it's seriously the most fun I think one could have with guns while building shooting skills. Buy less guns, shoot more and enjoy life!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

m4hk33
04-16-19, 01:51
honestly, I think its mostly to buy stuff.

far too often it is like pulling teeth to get freedom loving 2nd Amendment absolutist to actually go to a local range. you know the modt vocal at work or on social media about Obama wanting to take your guns, Molan Labe mutha ****er. Its almost impossible to get that person to the range on a nice day. 5 degree's and snowing sideways, never going to happen.

I think that many on these forums are caught up in the consumerism that you mentioned, be in your wife having 50 pairs of shoes and purses or a guy having the same amount of guns, or random people rushing to get the next smart phone or trade in their 3 year old truck for a new model with a gimick like wireless charging.

I too find myself wanting the latest and the greatest to the detriment of not completing some pretty nice guns,

right now i have 8 rifles/carbines that are in various states of completion
10.5, LMT MRP
16 LMT MLC
13.5 LMT MWS
20 6.5CM LMT MWS
FN Scar H
CZ Scorpion
Sig 556
PSA A4

of those rifles, the 4 LMT's are my go to rifles and are the most enjoyable to shoot. I plan selling the Scar and the A4 clone because they honestly dont do anything special for me, both are great rifles for different reasons but kind of serve no purpose other than taking about space in the safe. I have had the A4 clone out once. The same thing with the Sig, the SCAR is a little newer but i can feel it sliping into that same role of cool, but not that cool.

So the next time i get back to the states i am going thin the heard and finish the 4 LMT's and have them all set up exactly how i want, Pick up another silencer, upgrade a couple scopes. maybe RMR a glock 19, i have 4 to 5 grand tied up in shit that i dont use and I am still ****ing around loading off of a single stage press, its works but even i sometimes shake my head. I really needed a ****ing PSA A4. SMDH...

is that going to be the last of my rifles, no of course not,but am now to the point that i would rather have fewer high end stuff than more stuff thats not complete

arptsprt
04-16-19, 06:21
The amount of money I’ve spent on all things ARs over the past decade plus makes me shudder.

Now, I have more ARs than I can count on two and 1/2 hands (and guns in general) - more than I’ll ever need or want, but yet I still buy shit. Why? Partly an obsessed sickness I’ve come to realize, but mainly because it’s fun and I enjoy it. I’m not an AR builder. Not my thing nor do I have the desire. I’m proficient in knowing how they work and how to maintain them, but I buy good, quality stuff from the start. I shoot about five a lot, the others not so much.

I’m fortunate enough to be in a great financial place in my life which helps. Shooting is my most fun and desired hobby followed closely by flyfishing. I also put a lot of time into training and proficiency.

That said, I have reached a point with my ARs that I’m buying less and less stuff to adorn them with. I say this as I just threw down $1600 for a new Vortex Razor Gen2 E 1-6 and Scalarworks mount... for an SBR... replacing a perfectly good T1. And I swore I’d never put a 1.5 pound LPVO on an SBR... Why’d I do it? It’s the rage, man! Seriously, my aging eyes and some struggles in low light are why.

The night vision discussion is interesting and relatable. A few of my shooting group are getting into NV. “Why have all those ARs you don’t shoot, instead of NV?” they ask? I see their point but if I’m buying NV, I’ll buy good ones which is about a $7000 price tag. One just doesn’t use NV. One needs to train to be proficient. Finding a viable location and someone with knowledge to train us isn’t very feasible. And while the cool factor and tactical advantage is there, the likelihood of needing NV for real in my world is very, very low. I’d rather buy $7000 worth of ammo versus the NVD.

End of the day I don’t see what I do any differently than my friends with other hobbies. I have a few friends who do the car thing. The time and money they spend tinkering with or racing their cars is equal, or the track thing with one friend, far exceeding my AR addiction on an annual basis. Or other friends who snowmobile. Every few years they are buying new $18,000 sleds to have the latest and greatest, then they travel all over the region to partake in their hobby. Time and money.

End of the day, to each their own.

Renegade04
04-16-19, 07:56
Well, I may not have 49 ARs, but I am only a few away from that number. Some of my ARs are safe queens as they are collectible Colts. Many of my ARs are military clones (Vietnam to present). Several of my other ARs are general purpose types and a few are SPRs. I have a few workhorses and one of these is my SHTF AR. Like some,, I fall into the category of a collector and shooter. I have a passion for the platform and have had for 40 years since I was issued my first M16A1 back in 1978. I have built right at 85 ARs in the past 15 years and I am not done yet. I get enjoyment out of building something and having it work and work well. I do not spend a great amount of time with any one of my ARs, but I am proficient. I have the military training that gave me the skills to know how to use them.

PappyM3
04-16-19, 08:32
... Why are people buying $440 DD RIS systems? Why is anyone not using Nightvision buying rails at all?

You need it for accuracy? "Free floating" precision? Who here has actually quantified the amount of shift a non-ff barrel produces at say...400 yards? Even if you're using a wicked tight sling - it isn't much, I promise ;)

The Marine Corps shooting team has tested the effects on POI of weight on a non-free float barrel. It’s significant and you don’t even need to sling up to see them.

Standing with rifle on a barrier with hand between rifle and barrier:
M16: 11” shift at 200 yards
M4: 4” shift at 200 yards

Double kneeling with rifle on soft surface (hand on barrier):
M16: 8” shift at 200 yards

Double kneeling with rifle on hard surface(directly on barrier):
M16: 20” shift at 200 yards
M4: 8” shift at 200 yards

So, at a minimum with an M4 length non-free float handguard, you’re looking at an 8” shift at 400 yards by mixing up how you hold/support the rifle. That could easily mean the difference between a hit or a miss, especially if you’re already shooting 2-4 MOA with a combat carbine. Go out to a longer M16 length handguard and you’re looking at a 40” shift at 400 yards!!

The Marine Corps Facebook page has their findings in pictures. They also tested different weights on the sling swivel (2.5lb-15lbs).

It equates to ~1” shift at 200 yards per pound added to the end of an M4 handguard.
~2” shift at 200 yards per pound added to the end of an M16 handguard.

I’m sure one can reduce these numbers by trying to gently rest their rifle on support, but then you’re not as stable.

So yes, free float rails provide significant accuracy advantages. I get the intent of your post and largely agree with it. But you should do more research on things before making claims.

RobertTheTexan
04-16-19, 09:09
honestly, I think its mostly to buy stuff.

far too often it is like pulling teeth to get freedom loving 2nd Amendment absolutist to actually go to a local range. you know the modt vocal at work or on social media about Obama wanting to take your guns, Molan Labe mutha ****er. Its almost impossible to get that person to the range on a nice day. 5 degree's and snowing sideways, never going to happen.
I have come to firmly believe, the more 2A/Don’t Tread on Me/Punisher logo shit I see, the less that individual shoots. It’s like they replace training with being an advertisement for the pro gun community. Also the same people have no concept of keeping a low profile. So the more pro 2A stickers the less the person actually shoots rings true in my AO as well.

So the next time i get back to the states i am going thin the heard and finish the 4 LMT's and have them all set up exactly how i want...

...is that going to be the last of my rifles, no of course not,but am now to the point that i would rather have fewer high end stuff than more stuff thats not complete

Have you heard the analogy - “Guns are like dandelions — pull one and two grown in its place.”??

Probably not, because I just made that quote up while thinking about your post, especially the part about thinning the herd.
I believe in the “one is none and two is one” philosophy but try to balance that vs. going bat-ass crazy at the same time. But for sure when when I get rid of one AR, two more might magically appear and then I’m right back to where I started.

A vicious cycle, so be forewarned. :)

Doc Safari
04-16-19, 10:20
I'm always in favor of KISS, but it's good to have spares, too. One or two to shoot and one or two as spares. If one looks at "need" instead of "want", the accessories stop accumulating pretty fast.

Firefly
04-16-19, 10:27
The things we own begin to own us

RHINOWSO
04-16-19, 10:36
Eurodriver - You still own firearms? :confused:

Biggy
04-16-19, 10:37
What fun would life be if we just bought only the things we needed and not some things that we just plain wanted. At some point in your life you will stop shooting, and at another point in it, you or someone else will sell everything you have accumulated. Just enjoy everyday, the people you love and the things you enjoy, because they are all temporal.

Sry0fcr
04-16-19, 10:47
Good post. Sometimes you have to go through a bunch of things to find what works, sometimes that means coming full circle. I suppose I should be thankful that for a lot of my time on the site, I've been too poor to dick with my guns too much or buy a bunch of 'em.

mark5pt56
04-16-19, 11:23
That's a healthy shift for sure. I do recall when I started getting into High Power and before getting a FF'ed NM rifle, I was pulling my 20" down and left 3-4" at 100. I did have it tight as stated by another shooter, When applying a moderate hold, I was about 2" This was for 100 reduced targets and quickly got the NM set up as sling tension could be inconsistent. On the flip side, shooting a "field" carbine from field positions, never had an issue hitting 12x12 plates out to 400 with irons.

The Marine Corps shooting team has tested the effects on POI of weight on a non-free float barrel. It’s significant and you don’t even need to sling up to see them.

So, at a minimum with an M4 length non-free float handguard, you’re looking at an 8” shift at 400 yards by mixing up how you hold/support the rifle. That could easily mean the difference between a hit or a miss, especially if you’re already shooting 2-4 MOA with a combat carbine. Go out to a longer M16 length handguard and you’re looking at a 40” shift at 400 yards!!

The Marine Corps Facebook page has their findings in pictures. They also tested different weights on the sling swivel (2.5lb-15lbs).

It equates to ~1” shift at 200 yards per pound added to the end of an M4 handguard.

I’m sure one can reduce these numbers by trying to gently rest their rifle on support, but then you’re not as stable.

So yes, free float rails provide significant accuracy advantages. I get the intent of your post and largely agree with it. But you should do more research on things before making claims.

grizzlyblake
04-16-19, 11:45
Why did you remove the old gun photos in the OP?

The post was pretty good though, but as with most hobby forums there is the contingent that says all you need is X and everything else is fluff, then there's the other end of the spectrum with the collector guys who buy stuff just to have it.

What do those TRD wheels do on your 4Runner that the stock ones didn't do other than scratch easier? Buying fun stuff just for fun sometimes is fine as long as the money is there to burn.

I really don't get the clone rifle thing though. Either shoot basic stuff or buy things that add capability to a gun. I don't understand spending a fortune on outdated mid-2000s technology, but that's another discussion.

My AR history is pretty simple. I bought a 6920 in 2008, then sold it to buy a 6720 several years later because I bought into the LW thing. I shot them box stock for many years and learned a lot about the rifle platform. I played with an Aimpoint PRO on the 6720 for a short while before getting frustrated with my eyes making the dot bigger and blurrier than the frost sight post.

Recently I decided to sell a 6720 to buy a Sionics Patrol 3E. I got the 2 stage trigger and put a Vortex PST II 1-6 on it, and while I'm still in the infancy stages with the gun I appreciate it's much improved capability.

For me it's half hobby half obligation to be armed as a citizen. I'm not LE. I really enjoy shooting the Sionics (could be any quality FF gun with the optic though), and ultimately that's what it's about for me. An enjoyable hobby that translates into a really good skill to have just in case.

So while I half agree with the premise of the topic, I'm not going to get down on a hobby shooter (any non-LE) for spending money on making the hobby more enjoyable through better equipment. I am vehemently against sub-grade gear though, and I, personally, don't have a desire to have a bunch of spares and extras of things.

I'm a minimalist, but believe in spending money on good quality stuff so I say buy the best you can afford (while keeping a healthy budget) and don't waste physical space and brain cells on a bunch of extraneous stuff.

I'm the same way with clothing, vehicles, guitars, whatever. Quality over quantity, and know how to use all your gear to it's ability.

Wake27
04-16-19, 12:11

Very interesting and awesome input, I'll have to check those posts out. I only buy extended FF rails for serious guns because of personal experience. I was at about 30-50m and was missing a square plate of unknown, but not insignificant size. I think I shot at least six rounds before I asked my instructor what I was doing wrong. He told me to look at my barrel, and sure enough it was on the barrier istead of the rail. I knew better, but hadn't thought about it while on the clock.

Kyohte
04-16-19, 12:50
Euro is mostly spot-on. Most of the gun world is pointless consumerism. However, it is a free country and people are free to spend their money on whatever floats their boat (legally). There is obviously a large section of the gun biying market that has to have the latest and greatest (even if it only differs in looks) because it is keeping companies afloat.

The truth is, I can put an aimpoint compM2 on one of my 5.45 AK rifles, and have pretty much the same capability as the average person who buys a fancy Daniel Defense or other gucci brand AR with the latest red dot and rails, etc.

PappyM3
04-16-19, 12:51
Very interesting and awesome input, I'll have to check those posts out. I only buy extended FF rails for serious guns because of personal experience. I was at about 30-50m and was missing a square plate of unknown, but not insignificant size. I think I shot at least six rounds before I asked my instructor what I was doing wrong. He told me to look at my barrel, and sure enough it was on the barrier istead of the rail. I knew better, but hadn't thought about it while on the clock.

I incorrectly said the Marine Corps Facebook page instead of the Marine Corps shooting team Facebook page. Just a heads up.

But yeah, barrel interference can certainly get you if you’re not thinking about it. I know I’ve been complacent before too.

docsherm
04-16-19, 12:58
I finished new rifles this week. I had them at the range last weekend. Shot well. "Meh". Nothing really impressive about either. When I was putting them away, I realized they looked familiar. So I went into my "Sold Guns" folder on my computer and found a picture of my very first AR15 ever, and my second one ever.

I knew quickly why they weren't very impressive - they're old news. The original rifles were sold almost a decade ago. Yet, I just recreated almost identical rifles this week. Why?

This isn't even the first time I've done this. My BCM order history could be used as a calendar to mark when their LW barrels were released. When Keymod came out. When their ELW barrels came out. When they started using the BCM4 uppers. Shit, I have bought multiple versions of uppers they don't even make anymore, but I miss terribly (bring back a 12.5" FSP SS410...and I know you have more "blems" guys!)

Why do we keep buying new stuff? Do either of the rifles I have today perform better than the ones I owned a decade ago? Why are people buying $440 DD RIS systems? Why is anyone not using Nightvision buying rails at all?

You need a rail for "strength"? Here I am running over a set of Magpul MOEs with a 4Runner at about 15 mph. Rifle worked great afterward.

https://i.imgur.com/x2SBC7A.jpg

I'm accepting donations to test your rail system of choice, but it will be pretty difficult to outperform the $26 MOEs. (There is a sling mount and M600U on the bolt catch side of the rifle buried in the dirt - they were fine too).

You need it for accuracy? "Free floating" precision? *Good post by pappy on this subject below*

One thing I like about M4C is that despite the obvious conflict of interest in a large contingent of the forum, which is sponsored by companies that survive on sales of gun parts and accessories, recommending someone buy a single rifle and keep it simple that remains the most often given advice. Why have 49 unfired rifles when you can have two you have a whole lot of confidence in? Everyone wants to talk about having guns for home defense, but don’t nobody wanna practice it.

NV is a force multiplier but it’s like guys would rather have 16 home built parts guns than one good rifle with a PVS14 on their noggin for less money. Having 16 parts guns makes you a liability more than anything else. Ever been in a Florida neighborhood at night after a hurricane? Guess what feels really good - being able to see...not having so many guns you can’t even evacuate easily.

Tuning gas blocks, buffers and springs. Grabbing new rails, uppers, and triggers. It's all a big ass waste of time, a source of frustration, and a waste of money. If you buy a factory rifle from a quality company, that company has paid a bunch of guys to do all that testing for you. All you need to do is lula the magazine to capacity and start blasting.

To some of us, money isn't an issue. To all of us, time is finite.

Do you want to spend that precious time browsing parts sites, testing and tuning, driving to the range to zero new rifles, and finger banging guns in your living room or do you want to buy one thing that works well, know it proficiently, and move on to other things in life? I wish I could go back to that rifle sitting on the beach in Hawaii and have never bought another AR15.

Have fun buying stuff M4C, I'll report back what the sunset is like in Ushuaia.

You need to just get a solid 12.5" AR, set it up and call it a day..................

PappyM3
04-16-19, 13:00
That's a healthy shift for sure. I do recall when I started getting into High Power and before getting a FF'ed NM rifle, I was pulling my 20" down and left 3-4" at 100. I did have it tight as stated by another shooter, When applying a moderate hold, I was about 2" This was for 100 reduced targets and quickly got the NM set up as sling tension could be inconsistent. On the flip side, shooting a "field" carbine from field positions, never had an issue hitting 12x12 plates out to 400 with irons.

Yeah, realistically, most people zero their rifles with some pressure on their hand guards. So, the total shift in either direction is likely to be lessened in the real world. That said, I do think that free float handguards are very beneficial to even the average AR shooter.

Moreso, to Eurodriver’s point that rails are only necessary if you’re running night vision, I think I would contend the opposite. If you’re running an IR laser on your handguard, they would retain their POA/POI better if they were not free floated. With non free-float handguards/rails, the laser would move the same degree as the barrel, thus keeping POA/POI the same. On a free float rail, the rail could shift while the barrel stays static, causing a shift between POA and POI. I don’t have data on free float rail flex or IR lasers on flexed non-FF rails, so it’s just a hypothesis to be tested for now.

Firefly
04-16-19, 13:07
You need to just get a solid 12.5" AR, set it up and call it a day..................

.....hmmm......

Maybe....maybe that’s the final redpill.
The AR Methadone for all this dragon chasing.
A solid 12.5 a red dot, NOD crap, and torch.

Then we can all get lives

docsherm
04-16-19, 13:09
.....hmmm......

A solid 12.5 a red dot good 1-4 Optic, NOD crap, and torch.
Mini Can of your choice

That is what I did....... and I fixed it for you......... ;)

Esq.
04-16-19, 13:17
The AR15 is Barbie for men. Some just can't resist a closet full of shoes......

RKB Armory
04-16-19, 13:46
I'm a big believer in selling most of the stuff that you don't use. With any luck, you'll spend that money on training and ammo before you have a chance to buy more unneeded things.

Biggy
It is pretty much the same way with golf clubs, fishing poles, clothes , shoes, knives,etc, etc, etc. The gun industry would be a whole lot smaller, fewer companies, fewer gun industry jobs, fewer gun owners, less NRA members and less money to fight the anti gunners with. Why have a SHOT SHOW and why try and better anything? Spend your money the way you want, but spend it wisely. My father did with new cars, trips, clothes, new home. Now it's pretty much all gone and he is 94 and sitting in a nursing home at $9,000. a month.

Strikefirst
I don't normally post actually this is post 1! but this thread caught my eye. I sold an upper a while back and just finished putting together an upper with a colt socom 14.5 factory pinned a2x.

I own 3 AR's my wife 1 and my daughter 1.

I have a 12" SBR, 14.5" and a 16". I can already tell the 16" will get less trigger time. My next purchase will be a can. I can't imagine needing another AR.

jpmuscle
04-16-19, 13:56
The reality is this shit really doesn’t matter guys, atleast beyond an extent passed the necessity to protect ones self, family, or if one is a professional gun carrier, etc and requisite skill set required thereof.

Hobbies are great and all but life is short.
Love is fleeting.
and true happiness is elusive.

grizzlyblake
04-16-19, 14:03
Yeah, besides those who carry a rifle for a living it's all just wankery if you distill it down enough.

I guess you could just get down to true needs.

Get a Glock 19, Toyota Corolla, three pairs of Dockers, four Kohls brand polo shirts, a pair of Sketchers easy fit sneaker-loafers, and a one bedroom apartment.

I'm glad I don't live in that reality.

26 Inf
04-16-19, 14:11
Yep, the internet, heck, the world as a whole, is full of folks telling others how to live their lives:

Some man's come he's trying to run my life, don't know what he's asking
When he tells me I better get in line, can't hear what he's saying
When I grow up, I'm gonna make him mine, these ain't dues I been paying

How much does it cost?
I'll buy it!
The time is all we've lost
I'll try it!
He can't even run his own life,
I'll be damned if he'll run mine--sunshine

As long as you put some thought into whatever you are doing, how it impacts others in your life, etc.

Somehow I don't see any need for me to be all over NODS or squad radios. But if it trips someone else's trigger have at it, just don't be telling me what to do.

Pappabear
04-16-19, 14:13
To be able to do it all over again. Fk most of us could lose 5 AR's and not even notice it. Its flat out stupid. I haven't bought an AR in quite some time. But don't I wish I could dump 5 of them and have a KAC SR25, that I dont need. And God help us if we have another scare, per se.

I really need to look into NV, I understand its come a long way and prices are not as inane as years gone by. I have zero NV and all this other craptastic shit I don't need.

PB

26 Inf
04-16-19, 14:17
I have zero NV and all this other craptastic shit I don't need.

PB

See, you feel a need I don't feel, and it's all good.

RHINOWSO
04-16-19, 14:25
Have fun buying stuff M4C, I'll report back what the sunset is like in Ushuaia.

You so #woke bro, still drinking it neat and rocking boardshorts?

Hammer_Man
04-16-19, 14:37
I get a lot of enjoyment out of building rifles. In the end it's a hobby, but it is my/our constant building and accessorizing of rifles that keeps my/our favorite gun companies in business. I would hate to see them go out of business, because all we bought were 6920s, and Aimpoint PROs.

3 AE
04-16-19, 14:48
Thank God for people who buy a lot of guns who don't shoot that much or train even less. God bless them all, each and every one of them. I thank them from the very bottom of my heart. Seriously.

lsllc
04-16-19, 14:55
I sold guns a long time ago to get into NODs. Well worth it.

I value suppressors and NODs more than ARs. However, I don’t see any problem stockpiling 6920s. As a matter of fact, there may be a time when they can’t be bought. But I’d agree with Euro, training trumps gear chasing.

RobertTheTexan
04-16-19, 14:58
.....hmmm......

Right... said the man who owns 1 AR.(Doc);)

Vegas
04-16-19, 15:03

A friend asked me recently if I had to be left with one AR, which would it be? My answer was my 12.5 with a hardy 1-6 on it. I believe it to be the most flexible solution.

lowprone
04-16-19, 15:05
I empathize with the M1 Garand remark, the S&W M-39, not so much.

docsherm
04-16-19, 15:08
A friend asked me recently if I had to be left with one AR, which would it be? My answer was my 12.5 with a hardy 1-6 on it. I believe it to be the most flexible solution.

I could not agree more.

docsherm
04-16-19, 15:10
Right... said the man who owns 1 AR.(Doc);)

What do you mean?.......... ;)

I have 3 12.5"s, one to use and 2 back ups. What else do I need? :jester:

ozarkpugs
04-16-19, 15:19
My first AR was a Ruger556 it sports a red dot and is my behind the truck seat "extra " gun" . I don't need my 20" ss bull . 223w but dang it shoots good . My deer rifle is a 18" ARP 6.8 but the one I carry every day here on the farm/ wildlife refuge is a 12.5 6.8 . Then there's my wife's .223 W and 16" 6.8 . I don't need any of them as I have a safe full of old style guns that are seldom shot now but I do enjoy them . They all have a special purpose ,of course some could do double duty but I like to have the best tool for the job . I have found the low priced Matrix slim rail to be my favorite and the Anderson lower fits as good and functions as well as the PSA ,Ruger and s&w for me . Of course all have drop in single stage triggers . Other than maybe a suppressed 11.5" pistol I'm pretty sure I'm done building .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
04-16-19, 15:33
What do you mean?.......... ;)

I have 3 12.5"s, one to use and 2 back ups. What else do I need? :jester:

Well you know what was passed onto me... "One is none, two is one and three is just right." I follow a similar thought process. Hmmm...Wonder where I got that idea from....???:confused::sarcastic:

Strikefirst
04-16-19, 16:23
I am not saying that I don't love building rifles...I just know anymore than a couple for me and they won't hardly get used...however...The longer I mess with this 14.5...I feel that itch of BRD calling my name...

jpmuscle
04-16-19, 16:35
The reality is this shit really doesn’t matter guys, atleast beyond an extent passed the necessity to protect ones self, family, or if one is a professional gun carrier, etc and requisite skill set required thereof.

Hobbies are great and all but life is short.
Love is fleeting.
and true happiness is elusive.

Like as an additional data point I put this together this afternoon. It had been sitting tucked away for awhile. Had a spare colt lpk and PNT trigger. It’s redundant and serves no purpose. Now it’s just sitting next to my other complete lowers. A waste really. Fortunately lowers are fairly inexpensive so I don’t have a problem sitting on them but it will probably never see a dedicated upper. No point. The turn key rifles I already have are set up for specific needs and probably won’t change much. I’d rather have more bougie NODs and spare parts for support. Other than that the only thing I’m missing is a 308 of some flavor but again that’s more of a want than need.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/a27bf28fdc454e9760e44f12450b41f9.jpg

jsbhike
04-16-19, 17:23
On a similar note, I was somewhat skeptical of Colt's commercial offerings from early 1990's up until around 10 years ago because every person selling an AR-15 proclaimed them to be the ne plus ultra, but practically every example I saw going back to the mid 60's was unfired alongside 1911's in the same condition going even further back. Not sure how they would know since they couldn't bring themselves to shoot it.

Still goes today to an extent. Had 2 people react to holster wear on a pistol I had for sale with a shocked "you actually used this?!" Well, yeah.

Zane1844
04-16-19, 17:41
I prioritize shooting over collecting. I went a while with one AR. Then I bought two, and it stays that way. I only own one pistol for ccw, and that will stay that way.

I've blown lots of money on optics though..and ammo. I save money in order to buy fun things, so I can justify it, especially when I resale everything. Again, I never collect. I get a new optic, old one is sold. Same with uppers, though the ones I have now are staying for good.

Eurodriver
04-16-19, 17:46
On a similar note, I was somewhat skeptical of Colt's commercial offerings from early 1990's up until around 10 years ago because every person selling an AR-15 proclaimed them to be the ne plus ultra, but practically every example I saw going back to the mid 60's was unfired alongside 1911's in the same condition going even further back. Not sure how they would know since they couldn't bring themselves to shoot it.

Still goes today to an extent. Had 2 people react to holster wear on a pistol I had for sale with a shocked "you actually used this?!" Well, yeah.

You’ve got scratches on your Glock’s slide?

Brass marks on your shell deflector?

What is the matter with you?!?!? Instagram would not approve.

Eurodriver
04-16-19, 17:47
You so #woke bro, still drinking it neat and rocking boardshorts?

You still spying on me?

Doc Safari
04-16-19, 17:48
Don't tell anybody but I got my pistol grip sweaty once. And......I know...I know....I let my AR get rained on. I also had it out on a humid evening and moisture condensed on it so thick I could wipe it away with my finger.

I beg forgiveness.

RobertTheTexan
04-16-19, 17:57
Like as an additional data point I put this together this afternoon. It had been sitting tucked away for awhile. Had a spare colt lpk and PNT trigger. It’s redundant and serves no purpose. Now it’s just sitting next to my other complete lowers. A waste really. Fortunately lowers are fairly inexpensive so I don’t have a problem sitting on them but it will probably never see a dedicated upper. No point. The turn key rifles I already have are set up for specific needs and probably won’t change much. I’d rather have more bougie NODs and spare parts for support. Other than that the only thing I’m missing is a 308 of some flavor but again that’s more of a want than need.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/a27bf28fdc454e9760e44f12450b41f9.jpg

I don't mind having spare parts. I'm not going to sell all my detents, springs, a shit ton of mil spec triggers, all my A5 buffers/springs and tubes, pistol grip bolts n' washers, and the few lowers and serveral uppers and barrels I have and buy a good set of nods. Besides, I like the rainy day philosophy, and sometimes I just like to go into the shop and diddle my selector switch springs and drink beer. But that's just me, I've been known to do super fun stuff like that before.

And as a responsible citizen of the Republic of Texas, it is my duty to have enough tools to equip a militia of irregulars. It's practically constitutional ya know.

Diamondback
04-16-19, 18:17
As some have started to touch on, there's a third group in the mix along with Shooters and Hoarders, Builders. For example, every build I do I learn something new about the platform, and since I had to give up building model airplanes due to hand tremors AR's are positively forgiving by comparison and fill the same role in fulfilling my craftsman side. (The girlfriend jokes about it being "like a male pregnancy," and needles me periodically about "so how's our next metalkid coming along?")

Even in a COMWEC, and ESPECIALLY then, all you door-kicking face-shooters are gonna need somebody In The Rear With The Gear doing tuneups occasionally, and that seems to be where my niche might be.

Yes, I need to shoot more, yes I need to train more--especially since I have someone counting on me to show her the ropes someday.

vicious_cb
04-16-19, 19:18
10,000 empty casings dont look as cool as a extra foldy guns with punisher engravings.

In all seriousness the more I shoot, the less I care about gear.
And really, its not guns or shooting, people like you describe just wont get out and train... ever.

“I have to catch my show”
“My knee hurts”
“I worked a lot”
“My finger is sore”
Or they just have no interest.

Im pretty sure standing in 2 ft of brass while holding 2 smoking Punisher ARs would look pretty badass on instagram. :D

Lets be real here, for 99% of us a stock 6920 will handle anything 99.9% of the situations we can encounter in CONUS. But this is america, we want the coolest best shit and theres nothing wrong with that. Even if its just some cosmetic bullshit at least it pours money into the industry to keep it alive. Id rather see a wall of rainbow colored My little pony ARs when I walk into a shop than see 1 or 2 dust covered neutered ARs on shelf like during the dark days of the AWB.

Diamondback
04-16-19, 19:31
Even if its just some cosmetic bullshit at least it pours money into the industry to keep it alive. Id rather see a wall of rainbow colored My little pony ARs when I walk into a shop than see 1 or 2 dust covered neutered ARs on shelf like during the dark days of the AWB.

An excellent and very important point--the more we put AR's into the hands of Joe Public and get 'em hooked, the harder it is for the ass-sucking douches of the Bloomer Brigades to sell their gun-grabbing horseshit. If that means selling pink "Hello Kitty" special finishes to the Soytards, then so be it. If Suzy Soccermommy wants a Tiffany Blue AR, then playing along wins us another convert. Anything that promotes interest in ownership, and pride in it, is a good thing. Anything that makes it easier for those outside the traditional "operator envelope" of armspan, fingerlength, LOP, upper-body strength etc is also a good thing, if it helps get the crippled or the undersize (or even the weak and corpulent) out to the range and shooting more.

Firefly
04-16-19, 19:34
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/3d/0c/6c3d0c398a1614a45646e4dab654aca9.jpg

RobertTheTexan
04-16-19, 19:36
An excellent and very important point--the more we put AR's into the hands of Joe Public and get 'em hooked, the harder it is for the ass-sucking douches of the Bloomer Brigades to sell their gun-grabbing horseshit. If that means selling pink "Hello Kitty" special finishes to the Soytards, then so be it. If Suzy Soccermommy wants a Tiffany Blue AR, then playing along wins us another convert. Anything that promotes interest in ownership, and pride in it, is a good thing. Anything that makes it easier for those outside the traditional "operator envelope" of armspan, fingerlength, LOP, upper-body strength etc is also a good thing, if it helps get the crippled or the undersize (or even the weak and corpulent) out to the range and shooting more.

#truth and well said. I may get irritated with the BS but the fact is, money in the industry can’t hurt.
Look at how the airsoft community impacted the chest rig/PC/kit in that market. We may ridicule them, but they had a huge impact in making more high end kit available to us when our usgi stuff we didn’t turn into CIF is too old or not as functional.

Uni-Vibe
04-16-19, 20:20
I see the same phenomenon with guitar players.

The wannabees that never play in a band? They have a roomful of vintage and high-end gear, tens of thousands of dollars worth. And they're marginally talented musicians who never play in bands.

But the guys that can make it burn, and do play in bands? They have quality equipment, to be sure, but nothing flashy, and it'll fit in the corner of a closet; they have just what they need to do what they need to do.

Buncheong
04-16-19, 23:08
All I unironically need is my SW Model 39 and a Garand anyways.

I need this tattooed on my forehead ^

Seriously. Gotta’ kick the habit.

m4hk33
04-17-19, 00:28
I have come to firmly believe, the more 2A/Don’t Tread on Me/Punisher logo shit I see, the less that individual shoots. It’s like they replace training with being an advertisement for the pro gun community. Also the same people have no concept of keeping a low profile. So the more pro 2A stickers the less the person actually shoots rings true in my AO as well.

Have you heard the analogy - “Guns are like dandelions — pull one and two grown in its place.”??

Probably not, because I just made that quote up while thinking about your post, especially the part about thinning the herd.
I believe in the “one is none and two is one” philosophy but try to balance that vs. going bat-ass crazy at the same time. But for sure when when I get rid of one AR, two more might magically appear and then I’m right back to where I started.

A vicious cycle, so be forewarned. :)

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer to the question of why we are "here". I think its interesting, that consumerism really impacts soo much these days. I think that as long as the person is happy with their decision, its all good, but if shooting is the reason they are into guns, they should try to get out as much as possibly, if they are more into collecting and building and appreciating the weapons as "art", then shooting should not be expected to come first and there is nothing wrong with that

I do enjoy the latest and the greatest stuff. stuff is always getting incrementally better and that is something that i can appreciate and willing to pay for. NV/Thermal is something that i have been considering adding to the tool box and while it may not be something that i do the next time I am home its definitely more useful to have than a Scar and a PSA A4.

for now, I want to finish the guns that I take the most enjoyment from, and once those are done, then maybe consider adding some new stuff,

MountainRaven
04-17-19, 01:19
.....hmmm......

At the beginning of the year I put together an 11.5" gun with a dot and a light. Everything on it or in it is Geissele, BCM, or LMT (or Magpul, when plastic). If it wasn't ridiculously heavy with ridiculously long eye relief, I'd probably pull the Aimpoint off of it and put my Trijicon 1-6x24 AccuPoint on it. Maybe I'll see if I can find a 30mm Leupold 1-4 for it.

It's now been four months and I haven't felt any real desire to trade it. Or sell it. Or to build or buy another modern AR. I've been focusing on old stuff.

I think something might be wrong with me. Or, for the first time in a long time, something's right.

RobertTheTexan
04-17-19, 01:31
I don't think there is any right or wrong answer to the question of why we are "here". I think its interesting, that consumerism really impacts soo much these days. I think that as long as the person is happy with their decision, its all good, but if shooting is the reason they are into guns, they should try to get out as much as possibly, if they are more into collecting and building and appreciating the weapons as "art", then shooting should not be expected to come first and there is nothing wrong with that

I do enjoy the latest and the greatest stuff. stuff is always getting incrementally better and that is something that i can appreciate and willing to pay for. NV/Thermal is something that i have been considering adding to the tool box and while it may not be something that i do the next time I am home its definitely more useful to have than a Scar and a PSA A4.

for now, I want to finish the guns that I take the most enjoyment from, and once those are done, then maybe consider adding some new stuff,

I based that comment on real people. People who carry and talk about being able to eliminate a shooter in a store or at their church. People who own AR’s and talk about the end of days and how prepared they are. Like in the a i e CCW example the only problem with these people is that they never train. They shoot once tops twice per year and yet they believe they are the Chris Kyle answer to any active shooter scenario. These same people own all the right t shirts, stickers about “Come and Take It” on their trucks and cars, yet if I pulled this weapon I’d find dustballs in the barrel. I actually did that once. With the firearm owners permission of course. That was my point, and while everyone is absolutely free to spend their money just as I am, I do have issue with the what called in the Army “Perpetrators of the Fraud”. People that would make you think and talk as if they are something they are not. So if they are willing to believe and communicate that because they own a firearm they are ready for done what may, I am willing to calm them full of shit. Because they are. That was my point somewhere in my previous post, I just didn’t make it as obvious as I just now did. Sure they are entitled to buy all they want and pretend that ownership is sufficient, just as I can call them out for being more hazardous to a shooting scenario than they are beneficial. I might have chased a rabbit tonight, but at the absolute core of the OP’s thread title is the problem that I just laid out in plain sight, regardless of the type of owner you are. If we are True Believers in the 2nd Amendment, we all have a moral obligation, a civic duty, a social responsibility to be proficient in the firearms we own. If we own firearms for shits and giggles and don’t know the Second Amendment anymore than we do Luther’s 99 thesis or the Code of Hammurabi, then consumerism has won, and that’s all we are. I am not part of that “we”.

eodinert
04-17-19, 02:00
Troll post gave me cancer. Weren't you selling all your guns and moving to Europe? Get on with it already.

teksid
04-17-19, 05:47
The first time I saw this place I was amazed that Euro was kind of a pied piper around here after witnessing him get ridiculed and shamed away from Glock talk. I couldn’t believe anybody took this guy seriously. I guess he’s been more subdued. Now I see he’s come full circle here, maybe.
Myself I’m a pistol shooter I can be found most weekends shooting a competition or running timed drills or just shooting steel. I do really like AR’s though. I have a handful of 6920’s a handful of PSA rifle kit builds, a full Noveske that I bought a couple days after John’s passing and my favorite is a 6921 build that I bought the complete upper from Armslist for a song. I even chopped the A2 and added a rail ( for shame ). My justification, not that I need it for having this many rifles is that maybe one day I’ll need to arm friends and family or they’ll go to nephew, nieces and my kids when I go. Who know how many grandkids I’ll have? Maybe owning an AR will keep some of them from being brainwashed in school when someone tells them how they shouldn’t have one.
I view this sight because I like to know what is the latest and greatest. It interests me. Although I can’t afford to build LMT’s and KAC’s etc.. I like hearing about other’s experiences.
I suspect maybe Euro can’t afford to keep up with some of you guys and that annoys him to no end. The last year he has been preaching that all we need is a 6920. I’ve seen him ridicule people for wanting rails instead of an A2. Heck he even ran over one with his car to prove this point. Now he has the audacity to tell me what I need. He wants people to feel dumb for doing what this site is about, maybe because he’s disgusted with his self for the money he’s spent on AR’s over the years. I don’t know what his deal is.
I for one already knew what he claims he’s just now realizing. I’m gonna build a couple more anyway.

prepare
04-17-19, 06:21
Its called the rat race and nobody wins.
Contentment requires work, dedication and commitment to the cause.
You can't buy it.

Biggy
04-17-19, 06:27
Many times as one grows a little older they will become tired and disillusioned of their longtime hobbies and feel liked they wasted a lot of time and money being manipulated by their vanity. So I just ordered a new Leatherman Free P4 Multitool because I WANTED it, not because I needed it. At somepoint my son will hopefully get it when I croak, because I am not taking it with me. It's all good. VOTE TRUMP 2020 !!!

Eurodriver
04-17-19, 06:35
I suspect maybe Euro can’t afford to keep up with some of you guys and that annoys him to no end. The last year he has been preaching that all we need is a 6920. I’ve seen him ridicule people for wanting rails instead of an A2. Heck he even ran over one with his car to prove this point. Now he has the audacity to tell me what I need. He wants people to feel dumb for doing what this site is about, maybe because he’s disgusted with his self for the money he’s spent on AR’s over the years. I don’t know what his deal is.

I am disgusted with myself for all the money I’ve spent on ARs over the years. That’s literally why the OP was made.

And I am poor. Poor in friendships. Poor in life experiences. Poor in family. Poor in the amount of free time I have and poor in how I spend it.

Fortunately, I am not poor financially so I tried substituting being poor in those things for being rich in material things. Brand new 4x4s. Nightvision. Lasers. Optics. Guns. Hobbies. Etc. Hell, my name is “Euro”driver for a reason.

I’m growing up, and I don’t have an interest in buying things for pleasure anymore.

I was at a yacht basin the other day looking at a sailboat for sale. I was like damn, I can buy a sailboat and sail to the Keys if I want. (Maybe I’d die in a storm and you wouldn’t have to read my posts anymore! Win win for everyone)

Anyway, and I ain’t making this shit up, every single guy I met down there was miserable. Talking about the problems their boats were having. There were so many things that needed maintenance and repair. Bilge pumps. Sails. Sheets. Lanyards. Rigging. Paint. Hiring guys to clean the hull under the water. Pressure washing mildew off decks.

I was like - what fun is any of this? These guys could just take the money they spend on their boats and go on a vacation 5 times a year - even renting their own boat - and not have the added stress and hassle of repairs and maintenance.

That’s kinda where I’m at with guns, and kind of why I made this post.

Dude, I promise I do not care what gun you buy or don’t buy. It makes no difference to me. I’m just sharing how I feel, and as you know you haven’t got the slightest obligation to listen to me.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling the troll with your “Euro can’t afford” the guns people have comment. Maybe you are trolling. Maybe you are serious.

But really - the only thing another person in the gun world can do that makes me take notice is shoot better than I can.

Fortunately, that’s pretty rare. ;)

Arik
04-17-19, 06:51
The first time I saw this place I was amazed that Euro was kind of a pied piper around here after witnessing him get ridiculed and shamed away from Glock talk. I couldn’t believe anybody took this guy seriously. I guess he’s been more subdued. Now I see he’s come full circle here, maybe.
Myself I’m a pistol shooter I can be found most weekends shooting a competition or running timed drills or just shooting steel. I do really like AR’s though. I have a handful of 6920’s a handful of PSA rifle kit builds, a full Noveske that I bought a couple days after John’s passing and my favorite is a 6921 build that I bought the complete upper from Armslist for a song. I even chopped the A2 and added a rail ( for shame ). My justification, not that I need it for having this many rifles is that maybe one day I’ll need to arm friends and family or they’ll go to nephew, nieces and my kids when I go. Who know how many grandkids I’ll have? Maybe owning an AR will keep some of them from being brainwashed in school when someone tells them how they shouldn’t have one.
I view this sight because I like to know what is the latest and greatest. It interests me. Although I can’t afford to build LMT’s and KAC’s etc.. I like hearing about other’s experiences.
I for one already knew what he claims he’s just now realizing. I’m gonna build a couple more anyway.I don't know Euro, I could be wrong but it seemed more of ......I came full circle back to what I had. Took 10 years and thousands of dollars wasted to have the same thing back. And I get it, I have a safe half full of gun I didn't need and don't intend to use meanwhile I have wasted thousands and kinda back to square one. I have a list of stuff I want to sell. One or two pieces might be spoken for but everything else is going to a gunstore!

Why did I buy them? Who knows. At the time I either perceived a need for it or thought it would do something my current setup can't. But in reality I think I was fooling myself because it was something new and different. At one point I was thinking I should be buying different calibers if one dries up instead of just buying more of that caliber.

Biggy
04-17-19, 07:03
At some point one can sell their excess of whatever off, but one will just spend that money on something else at another point. Some people just like to watch their pile grow and not spend any of it. I am sure if the nursing home don't get all of it, their kids or grand kids might thank them. Real fulfillment isn't in temporal material things or watching your pile of money grow. While in many cases moderation may be best, in reality it is neither right or wrong, but every decision you make has a consequence.

VIP3R 237
04-17-19, 08:12
Euro thanks for this post, it resonates with me as I’ve been feeling the same way. I have a safe full of rifles that I rarely shoot, I mean how many similarly set up 14.5-16” free float carbines does one guy need? I think the only reason I hang on to half of them is the fear that in the near future I may not be able to replace them due to anti gun legislation, which was the driving factor behind buying them in the first place.

SteveS
04-17-19, 08:46
I bought my first AR in the 1970', then I sold it and bought another and sold it . I like shooting pistols. I have little use for a rifle.. ARs are wonderful rifles and carbines basic or tricked out . The kids have them and their friends have them,the neighbors have them,, lots of fun..The AR is one of the greatest rifles ever manufactured. The AR is simple to work on as compared to a Garand for example

Firefly
04-17-19, 09:18
Whatever you all are looking for....
you cannot buy it.

I like what I have most days but I dont care about it.

docsherm
04-17-19, 09:37
Whatever you all are looking for....
you cannot buy it.

I like what I have most days but I dont care about it.

If you can't buy it you are shopping in the wrong place........ ;)

docsherm
04-17-19, 09:39
I am disgusted with myself for all the money I’ve spent on ARs over the years. That’s literally why the OP was made.

And I am poor. Poor in friendships. Poor in life experiences. Poor in family. Poor in the amount of free time I have and poor in how I spend it.

Fortunately, I am not poor financially so I tried substituting being poor in those things for being rich in material things. Brand new 4x4s. Nightvision. Lasers. Optics. Guns. Hobbies. Etc. Hell, my name is “Euro”driver for a reason.

I’m growing up, and I don’t have an interest in buying things for pleasure anymore.

I was at a yacht basin the other day looking at a sailboat for sale. I was like damn, I can buy a sailboat and sail to the Keys if I want. (Maybe I’d die in a storm and you wouldn’t have to read my posts anymore! Win win for everyone)

Anyway, and I ain’t making this shit up, every single guy I met down there was miserable. Talking about the problems their boats were having. There were so many things that needed maintenance and repair. Bilge pumps. Sails. Sheets. Lanyards. Rigging. Paint. Hiring guys to clean the hull under the water. Pressure washing mildew off decks.

I was like - what fun is any of this? These guys could just take the money they spend on their boats and go on a vacation 5 times a year - even renting their own boat - and not have the added stress and hassle of repairs and maintenance.

Dude, I promise I do not care what gun you buy or don’t buy. It makes no difference to me. I’m just sharing how I feel, and as you know you haven’t got the slightest obligation to listen to me.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling the troll with your “Euro can’t afford” the guns people have comment. Maybe you are trolling. Maybe you are serious.

But really - the only thing another person in the gun world can do that makes me take notice is shoot better than I can.

Wait a minute....... if you are done with buying all of this stuff then why did you just buy two firearms from me this weekend?

Buyers remorse?

What's up?

Doc Safari
04-17-19, 09:42

Uh...boats are a special Hell. The word "boat" is an acronym for 'BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND.'

Boating is God's way of saying you have too damn much disposable income.

RobertTheTexan
04-17-19, 09:43
Euro thanks for this post, it resonates with me as I’ve been feeling the same way. I have a safe full of rifles that I rarely shoot, I mean how many similarly set up 14.5-16” free float carbines does one guy need? I think the only reason I hang on to half of them is the fear that in the near future I may not be able to replace them due to anti gun legislation, which was the driving factor behind buying them in the first place.

I hear you. My AR count has fluctuated over the years. At one time I believe I had 13 AR’s and I enjoyed building every one. That number has dropped significantly since then, because I’ve learned a few things. Things like “Have a purpose for your AR.” So that’s what I do. I also have some redundancy, in part because of what you mentioned - who knows what the next 4, 8, 12 yrs hold. Could I get by with one AR? Sure, but I when I work on my truck or do some remodel work on my house, I don’t approach that job with one tool or even just enough tools to get by. I grew up in construction and working on cars. One thing I learned from my dad was that oftentimes the quality of your work is directly related to the right tool and a quality tool to do that job. I take that same approach with firearms including AR’s. Identity a “job” that needs to be done, or will potentially need to be done and bring the right tool to accomplish that job. That’s the essence of my AR’s. They are tools. Do I still enjoy tearing out a wall, building a new wall, running electrical, sheetrocking, painting and finishing it, cutting some nice crown molding (and cussing a lot when I cut it backwards) but finishing the job with some pride? Yes I do and usually I’ve done a good job. Because I had the right tools and the experience to use them. Some tools I’m better with than others though, and often it will show.. Same principles hold true for my firearms. So if someone is happy as a pig in slop with their one AR, more power to them and I hope they take time to be proficient with that one tool, but that’s not how my mind works and so I’ll continue to do things the way do them. Hopefully I’ll never have to use those tools to “tear down and wall and rebuild another” (metaphorically speaking), but should that need come, at least I’ll know that I have the right tools for the job and I’ll know how to use them. Anything beyond that is likely out of my control and that is what it is.

RobertTheTexan
04-17-19, 09:45
Wait a minute....... if you are done with buying all of this stuff then why did you just buy two firearms from me this weekend?

Buyers remorse?

What's up?

That was a different Euro, not the new and improved LaRue Euro. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

adh
04-17-19, 10:10

Aint that the truth.....I'm in the same boat....busyness (i.e. being busy all the time) kills me....when I do have time I seem to want to take it as down time and not make the effort to train, etc.
It ends up being easier to spend $ and have tangibles than it is to spend time and have intangible skills....yet all the tangibles lose their newness and satisfaction in short order.

Anyone interested in buying an upper or lower????.........think I need to buy some NODs and a DBAL :confused:

(ETA for spelling)

BWT
04-17-19, 10:24
I agree with the sentiment. I’ll say something that’ll probably go against the grain. Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun. I think God is the answer - everything else falls short. Also, gratitude helps.

That being said, if you enjoy firearms - it would seem productive to also enjoy performance. Go shoot competition and let the chase be getting the next rank or performing at a higher level, or the camaraderie you form with others.

Wish you guys the best in this.

God Bless,

Brandon

26 Inf
04-17-19, 11:09
Honestly, I think that a couple of you younger guys need to get a family to give your life some purpose beyond possessions.

RHINOWSO
04-17-19, 12:12
Honestly, I think that a couple of you younger guys need to get a family to give your life some purpose beyond possessions.

Agree completely. Seems like some people here are miserable since they have bought into the "Must Buy $hit" in an attempt to make themselves happy.

The mistake Euro makes is believing everyone is 'like him'. That everyone who buys firearms / things is trying to fill a hole, like he obviously is (and admits as such).

Firearms are a tool and a hobby for me (and my family). I grew up shooting with my uncle and those are some of my fondest memories - grabbing a couple of boxes of 22LR from the corner store and heading out to the sand pit.

I shoot alone sometimes to train efficiently for skills, then I shoot with my kids for fun, education, safety, and the memories. If I only owned a 6920 & G19, they wouldn't be as interested or involved.

Euro, I know I have broken you ballz quite a bit (and it's all be very well deserved), but I hope you find peace and happiness out there.

Eurodriver
04-17-19, 12:27

Buyers remorse?

What's up?

I see I’m gonna have to start including NDAs with my personal transactions.

mark5pt56
04-17-19, 12:27
The biggest thing is not letting this stuff consume you. Life is short, never knowing when you will see the sun another day. Enjoy your time, especially with family, you cannot buy time or worse, buy it back. If I could do anything, it would be to go back and do what I did with the kids, again and again. Have fun with the hobby, if it's for work or defense, have fun as you increase skill. Don't get pissed about what you did, just don't repeat it and learn from it.

I'm buying another upper:haha::haha: dang it!

Actually may be, thinking about the perfect upper for me. Looking hard at the KD 16" 410 SS upper.

Hammer_Man
04-17-19, 12:29
There needs to be a balance in life. No material possession will bring happiness, but if we didn't have hobbies to keep our minds busy when we aren't slaving away at the cubical farm, or sweat shop we'd go insane. That being said, AR-15s, model ships, stamp collections, baseball cards, etc., are decent time wasters, but can become an albatross around our necks if we aren't careful. Too much time on anything can isolate us from friends and family, and make us miserable.

ramairthree
04-17-19, 12:48
Whether it is ARs, guns in general, watches, knives, old cars, motorcycles, or fill in the blank-

There are many itches to be scratched.
You like shooting, building guns, training, hunting, shopping, discussing guns, collecting, comparing, etc.
You can do it all.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-17-19, 13:19

Having kids completely changed my outlook on a lot of things. I was much more materialistic in my single and married with no kids stages in life. Once I had kids, I started cherishing experiences much more than things. My family has brought me immense joy and purpose. I have friends that are still single with no kids. As we approach 40, it's becoming more and more apparent that they are unhappy, some borderline miserable.

26 Inf
04-17-19, 15:27
Having kids completely changed my outlook on a lot of things. I was much more materialistic in my single and married with no kids stages in life. Once I had kids, I started cherishing experiences much more than things. My family has brought me immense joy and purpose. I have friends that are still single with no kids. As we approach 40, it's becoming more and more apparent that they are unhappy, some borderline miserable.

Yes, this is something that I also see.

I never experienced what many folks experience, we had out first child two months after I turned 20, I was in the Marines. Number two followed two years later, and numbers 3 and 4 twenty years later.

Now they are all gone from home, but I can go out to the garage and shop and look at the remains, old helmets and neck pro, old life jackets, tee-ball tee's, the old Hobie Cat, etc. and look back with fondness on times well spent.

I certainly grumped occasionally about having to coach softball/baseball after being out on the in the summer heat all day; I am not a BB fan, but I coached pee wee for three years. When we were racing, I hated working all week to prep the karts and tires for the weekend. Same thing with the boats and Jet Skis, a lot of money and work, and I could give a flip less about riding a Jet Ski. But dang, the wife and kids liked it.

Ages 20 through, roughly 55, were for the kids, now I'm having fun. I figure I've got about 12 years of active fun left in me.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

RetroRevolver77
04-17-19, 15:48
The older I get the more I want to reduce my collection, un-clutter my life, simplify things.

Gunnar da Wolf
04-17-19, 16:10
I retired a few years ago and still occasionally add a gun to the stable. Most recent is a fixed stock rifle built around a 20” FN barrel. I spent today at a public range shooting it and a very similar 20” heavy barrel gun on steel out to 300 yards. I’m still curious and learning (today was a wind day).
If you only buy rifles and stockpile them without shooting/training/learning then hopefully that makes you content. If all you want is two identical Colt carbines, a pallet of 5.56 and tuition then hopefully that scratches your itch. In the end the only one who can make you happy is you. I can safely say that I have sold very few guns that I don’t miss in some way, most were purchased for a reason and I rarely outgrow that need.

kerplode
04-17-19, 17:45
The older I get the more I want to reduce my collection, un-clutter my life, simplify things.

This is where I am as well. I used to buy all different kinds of stuff to try it out. A lot of it was sold/traded over the years, but quite a lot stayed. More than I really want or could ever put to proper use. I'm hoping the market picks up as we move toward 2020...

I think firearms are fascinating machines, and although I don't get to go as much as I used to or would like to, I still love shooting and reloading. What I'm starting to dislike more and more, though, is "gun people".

ABNAK
04-17-19, 18:15

Me too. Until it comes time to decide what goes. :rolleyes:

Uni-Vibe
04-17-19, 19:01

Pooh.

Guns are like girlfriends.

You can't have too many.

TomMcC
04-17-19, 19:15
There's a lot to commend moderation.

flenna
04-17-19, 19:53
Me too. Until it comes time to decide what goes. :rolleyes:

You live in my AO. I'll give you my address and you can drop off all unwanted ARs and parts. Being the nice guy that I am I will take them off your hands free of charge :thank_you2:

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-17-19, 20:13
Yes, this is something that I also see.

I never experienced what many folks experience, we had out first child two months after I turned 20, I was in the Marines. Number two followed two years later, and numbers 3 and 4 twenty years later.

Now they are all gone from home, but I can go out to the garage and shop and look at the remains, old helmets and neck pro, old life jackets, tee-ball tee's, the old Hobie Cat, etc. and look back with fondness on times well spent.

I certainly grumped occasionally about having to coach softball/baseball after being out on the in the summer heat all day; I am not a BB fan, but I coached pee wee for three years. When we were racing, I hated working all week to prep the karts and tires for the weekend. Same thing with the boats and Jet Skis, a lot of money and work, and I could give a flip less about riding a Jet Ski. But dang, the wife and kids liked it.

Ages 20 through, roughly 55, were for the kids, now I'm having fun. I figure I've got about 12 years of active fun left in me.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

I wondered why my Dad kept my first fishing pole, which was broken at the tip, and other odds and ends toys I had. Now that my kids are approaching teenage years, I go out in the shop and see their stuff and it hits me how fast time really does go. They were babies yesterday.

RHINOWSO
04-17-19, 21:03
I wondered why my Dad kept my first fishing pole, which was broken at the tip, and other odds and ends toys I had. Now that my kids are approaching teenage years, I go out in the shop and see their stuff and it hits me how fast time really does go. They were babies yesterday.
Dude, it’s like someone mashes down on the accelerator from 11 and on.

RobertTheTexan
04-17-19, 21:56

My “little man” turned 13 recently and he’s 5’11. They grow like weeds, and as it’s been said, we have to make memories now. Hopefully we have been.

Firefly
04-17-19, 23:01
Pooh.

Guns are like girlfriends.

You can't have too many.

You’ve never juggled women.

Anyways the older I get the less I care about. I have my toys and my “killin’ guns” but overall I just DGAF.

Truth be told I have more respect for the people who hoard plastic figurines of naked Chinese cartoon girls than people who have an armory of 50 or so “tribute” builds.

The only AR I even like anymore is my slutty Colt.
When the Great Civil Race War hits I’ll probably be using my Garand and my Model 39.

My glory days are waning and I rarely used my own stuff. I used issue crap.

26 Inf
04-17-19, 23:08

Truer words have never been spoken.

donlapalma
04-17-19, 23:58
I've been able to keep my AR habit pretty tempered. At this stage in my life, it's no longer about the object, but more so about the 'process'. The reading, researching, learning and discovering. It keeps my mind occupied. It's a fun diversion for me. A diversion that seldomly morphs into an idea that results in a Form 4473 or a shipping notice from BCM, Midway or Brownells. Couldn't say that 10 years ago.

trauma
04-18-19, 00:22
I started with a few things, moved into 10-15 KAC rifles and back down to a few things.

I’m ready to accumulate again, ebb and flow I guess.

Just waiting to bang it out with the communists/leftists so I get bored in the meantime.

magister
04-18-19, 00:33
My wife and I married young, and started a family. I learned moderation and carefully considered each purchase in those days. Had to. Our situation has improved greatly over the years, but learning to make good choices the first time around, and sticking to what you need without excess are lessons that stuck.

I have 3. One for HD, one for using, and one for a spare. Most purchases these days go to ammo. I come to M4C because I do like the AR, I enjoy learning, and hearing others perspective.

Diamondback
04-18-19, 01:28
Every build I take on has its own purpose toward one of several objectives, sorted roughly in priority order:

1 At least one basic "issue grade" M4gery, in keeping with my belief that a citizen's first duty is to know how to operate his/her country's basic service rifle if needed.
2. A basic 16" carbine for each able body in the household, plus at least one PDW, plus a spare or two of each. Where possible overlapped with #2; my M4gery and the C8 included in these.
3. Develop a new skill. Assembling an upper, completing an 80% lower, some new gunsmithing/assembly/machining task I've either never done before or haven't done enough/well enough that I have confidence in my ability to do it on-demand yet.
4. A matched set of clones/"near-clone mimics" (M16A4/C7A2) for the GF and I to use together in Service Rifle competition.

Bear in mind, I don't have the flexibility or mobility to get out to the range anywhere NEAR as much as I'd like (and most Puget Sound-area ranges are infested with Fuddtard douchebags who go apoplectic if you defile THEIR "gentlemen's facilities" with "those filthy proleguns"), so I'm trying to use the resources I have at my disposal and *can* use in the apartment to make what range time and round-count I can get count.

ginzomatic
04-18-19, 04:53
Who is John Galt?

Firefly
04-18-19, 06:07
Who is John Galt?

I broke the damn dam!

jpmuscle
04-18-19, 06:19

Buyers remorse?

What's up?

You guys suck at fight club

jpmuscle
04-18-19, 06:21
Troll post gave me cancer. Weren't you selling all your guns and moving to Europe? Get on with it already.

If you’re going to throw shade atleast have the decency to post the meme along with it. Doing otherwise is just uncultured

docsherm
04-18-19, 06:30
You guys suck at fight club

I don't know what you mean?

Mjolnir
04-18-19, 07:19

This.

grizzlyblake
04-18-19, 07:20
Man, this thread got me thinking about this a bunch the past few days. When it comes down to it I can't really define a reason that I own an AR other than the foggy idea of the coming Civil War or whatever. I don't hunt with one, don't use one for home defense, and to be honest going to the range anymore is such a chore that I only do it out of self imposed obligation.

I just bought this Sionics rifle but am starting to think I might want to get rid of it and just go back to my old Marlin 30-30 and G19 to get me through my time on Earth.

magister
04-18-19, 07:26
3. Develop a new skill. Assembling an upper, completing an 80% lower, some new gunsmithing/assembly/machining task I've either never done before or haven't done enough/well enough that I have confidence in my ability to do it on-demand yet.

I agree with that. Bought a stripped lower a few months ago. Not because I want another rifle so much as I’d never assembled one and thought it’d be a good learning experience.

Mjolnir
04-18-19, 07:46

A little unasked for advice: do not worry about the opinions of others.

You have reached a level others before you have and others one day will: things are things and eventually proficiency fades.

My dad has advanced dementia. I now know that material things are material things unless it has some deep sentimental value.

Pursue the things that satisfy your soul to the degree that you think it will. I’m rapidly getting to the point that I do not want much - probably as it was always intended - but I make memories every single day with my aged parents.

Everyone will not “get it”.

But there’s always tomorrow.

Press on, brother.

ABNAK
04-18-19, 18:06
This thread is f*****g depressing. I agree with too much of what has been said.

:suicide:

markm
04-18-19, 18:15
Interesting. I felt like I was the only one who no longer bought guns/gun stuff.

Pappabear occasionally asks what guns I'd buy if I hit the lottery.... I really don't want any more guns. I like shooting what I have.... (granted I get to sling bullets out of his cool guns too, but I really don't have any gun wants)

lsllc
04-18-19, 18:37
Interesting. I felt like I was the only one who no longer bought guns/gun stuff.

Pappabear occasionally asks what guns I'd buy if I hit the lottery.... I really don't want any more guns. I like shooting what I have.... (granted I get to sling bullets out of his cool guns too, but I really don't have any gun wants)

Must be nice to be the point in life where you don’t want more. I could go for a nice 1911, a light mountain rifle, and an ELR magnum.

I’m satisfied with all my ARs and everything else. If I was rich I’d go KAC but don’t really think I need one.

markm
04-18-19, 18:52
Must be nice to be the point in life where you don’t want more. I could go for a nice 1911

It's always easy to get the 1911 cravings fired up. Luckily any worth getting are out of the budget. :cool:

jpmuscle
04-18-19, 19:17
I’m satisfied with all my ARs and everything else. If I was rich I’d go KAC but don’t really think I need one.

You could divest yourself of current rifles in order to buy KAC.

#worthit

bamashooter
04-18-19, 19:32

Kind of reached that point. Same deal with 1911s a couple of years back. Still have about 12 or so (1911s). About the ame ARs. I don't see much more on ARs in the future. Perhaps 2-3 .300blk barrels and 1-2 lefty uppers / BCGs. I'll soon begin adding even more ammunition and a few spare parts.

I've been eyeing a nice lawn mower deck belt. Sad.:D

ABNAK
04-18-19, 19:44
You could divest yourself of current rifles in order to buy KAC.

Not in this current environment. It's most certainly a buyer's market. Most of my stuff I'd take it in the shorts if I tried to parts ways with now.

lsllc
04-18-19, 19:51
Not in this current environment. It's most certainly a buyer's market. Most of my stuff I'd take it in the shorts if I tried to parts ways with now.

I’ve gotten rid of four in the last year. There was not a stellar return. I maybe lost a couple bennies between the four, however.

Still not sure I would realize an actual advantage to a KAC.

mark5pt56
04-18-19, 20:25
If that's your intent with the KAC and can afford to, buy it now and sell the others starting next year towards the 2020 elections. You will more than likely make out, hold one or two in reserve for the aftermath just in case. If Trump stays in and you sold high right before the elections, you can reinvest post election if need be as prices will be back down.

Uni-Vibe
04-18-19, 22:00
The kicker to all this discussion is that things may be very different a year or so from now. Remember 2008? And 2012? There wasn't a speck of federal legislation but there were two big panics caused solely by perception of events. Same thing could happen in 2020.

I think it's not time to panic, but if you think you want something, might behoove you to start shopping now. I've been taking advantage of relative plenty and buyer's market prices to stock up on some things, notably quality .22LR and reloading supplies (particularly primers). I coughed up for a Brownell M16A1 this week, because I always wanted something like that, and may not have the opportunity in the future.

Does all this make me a psychological cripple who is as afflicted by and addicted to mindless consumerism? I think not.

I have a Govt. A2 carbine safe queen I'm going to let go when prices go up. So I'm not emotionally attached to any of this stuff.

Firefly
04-19-19, 06:04
.....ARs are for queers, I am into cowboy guns now.
(As a bisexual I am still retaining my KAC gear and Colt stuff because #worthit) BUT MOREOVER the West shall be tamed, the South shall rise again, and the swarthy Mexican Army shall be quieted with a Winchester 1892 and a Smith No. 3!!!

RetroRevolver77
04-19-19, 08:35
Given the political environment, I'd say use this time to streamline and re-organize your collection. I wouldn't be buying anything proprietary or anything that was imported in relatively small numbers.

Doc Safari
04-19-19, 09:29
It's true. All this lamenting having too many guns goes out the window next time the gun grabbers are in charge.

Slater
04-19-19, 09:43
I don't know. Can you really have too many guns? Or too much ammo or too many mags?

AKDoug
04-19-19, 10:19
I don't know. Can you really have too many guns? Or too much ammo or too many mags?

I think you can have too many guns and mags. Having more than you and your immediate family can use cuts into funds available to buy ammo.

RHINOWSO
04-19-19, 10:20
OPs problem isn't guns, owning too many or too few of them.

It's more a life problem.

jpmuscle
04-19-19, 10:24

Why so serious

RHINOWSO
04-19-19, 10:48
Why so serious

Just enjoy calling attention whores out. ;)

TMS951
04-19-19, 11:02
I love to shoot, I bought a large piece of property with one of the reasons being to have my own gun ranges, yes I have multiple. I take them down and set up new ones, and change them up. They are all steel with exception of a 100yard stretch for paper to site guns in.

I love taking classes with great instructors. I have stuck with ex tier 1 guys. I like their perspective and real world experience. I try to do 6 days a year (typically two classes).

But you know what really brings the greatest joy? Building guns. Sometimes you take a class and are like 'well that didn't work' or 'that guy had xxx and seemed to really work for him' Sometimes new stuff comes out that is what you really dreamed of and didn't exist, so you buy it a change a gun up.

I have enough guns now that I can strip guns back down to parts and build up some new ones for fun. Maybe with a new rail or something on one of them. Adult lego's is what my friend calls them.

I love building and modifying things. I generally can't leave things alone. My business is modding German cars.

I bought a 1911 just for the fun of building it up and modifying it. I saw it as a greater challenge (it really is) than an AR15. Doing metal work is very different from the bolting together and AR.

I've only ever bought 1 complete AR it was a Colt 6720, it was 799$. Its unrecognizable now. Its parts spread across 3 different guns probably. (I have some Colt and an AAC SBRs in jail, I already have big plans fro stripping them down when I get them. I bought them so I could have a form 4 SBR/title 2 as I didn't want form 1/ my name engraved.)

I find there to be some fun in the challenge of hunting down rare parts for a fair price.

AndyLate
04-19-19, 11:51
If it weren't for consumers, the AR platform would not be what it is today. If we all bought 6920s and ran them stock, who would provide the market that has brought us free float rails, aftermarket stocks by the dozen, mid length gas systems, compensators, aftermarket triggers, etc?
LIke everything, there has to be balance, but if we didn't have the folks willing to drop big money on ARs, there would be no demand for innovation.
If I could not build ARs, I would not own one, the modularity of the system as it is now drew me to the platform.

Andy

Eurodriver
04-19-19, 12:01

I should stop posting, huh?

Firefly
04-19-19, 12:29

What? That he actually has one?

jpmuscle
04-19-19, 12:29

Idk, its a little homoerotic

Doc Safari
04-19-19, 12:32
I see nothing wrong with public philosophisizing if it elicits a similar response from readers.

26 Inf
04-19-19, 12:46
I see nothing wrong with public philosophisizing if it elicits a similar response from readers.

That changes my perspective, I've always thought of you as the strong silent type. :)

RHINOWSO
04-19-19, 13:57
That changes my perspective, I've always thought of you as the strong silent type. :)

LMFAO!!!!!

RHINOWSO
04-19-19, 13:59
What? That he actually has one?

Not sure he has either. :p

Doc Safari
04-19-19, 14:59

LOL. Timid flower for sure.

WickedWillis
04-19-19, 16:28
Well, here is another post by Euro that hits me right in my bullshit.

I struggle with contentment in life as a whole; it is a huge character flaw of mine, and unfortunately, it has translated expensively to the firearms world as well. I am constantly tweaking, buying, selling parts and accessories, optics, all of it. I just cannot be content with what I have, I am always looking towards the biggest, best, newest high speed deal. "I have an AR pistol? What if braces get banned, better get an SBR lower too! My Glock 19 is fine, but what if I had an RMR for it and slide cuts? Glock 19x? Heck yeah I need that shit!" It is a serious problem for me.

I bought a gun in a new caliber for me, 1000 rounds and a suppressor for it, and I have not even shot the damn thing yet. So yes, this post smacks me right in the damn face, and Euro is absolutely 100% correct. I have made several really good changes in my life lately, this is something else that I need to change completely. Gun realm, and personal realm.

RHINOWSO
04-19-19, 16:32
Maybe there needs to be a 'self-help' subforum, because apparently a lot of bros need it.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-19-19, 16:46
I struggle with contentment in life as a whole; it is a huge character flaw of mine (snip)

One of the things I started doing several years ago was giving myself some not so easy to attain but still realistic goals. The first goal I set for myself was to do a half marathon. I'm not a runner and never have been, in fact I hate it. I trained all winter for it and ended up doing two half marathons a week apart. I found the whole process completely satisfying. I have no desire to do another though.

I can find myself becoming discontent if I don't have a goal or something to strive for.

Uni-Vibe
04-19-19, 16:56
I think you can have too many guns and mags. Having more than you and your immediate family can use cuts into funds available to buy ammo.

Bosh. Guns are like girlfriends. You can't have too many.

ABNAK
04-19-19, 17:47
Bosh. Guns are like girlfriends. You can't have too many.

You do know there's a reason polygamy is verboten, right? And it ain't just because it's illegal! ;)

Diamondback
04-19-19, 18:20
You do know there's a reason polygamy is verboten, right? And it ain't just because it's illegal! ;)

He said "girlfriends," not "wives"... :p

Pappabear
04-19-19, 20:23
It always stunts me how many folks buy guns and dont shoot them for MONTHS, MANY MONTHS. On some of the 1911 web sights or Snipershide and guys are selling guns they bought six months ago and never shot or shot 50 Flawless rounds and are now selling it. I believe so many guys like the idea of shooting and idea of guns more than actually shooting and just dabble in buying and selling.....I guess you know if it makes you happy , what the fk, it makes you happy.

But just seems weird to me, we buy guns and shoot the piss out of them and love doing so much more than just owning. But it speaks to this thread. I'll admit I own far more guns than I need, but I shoot every week and often 3X a week. YMMV and its all good.

PB

26 Inf
04-19-19, 20:26
He said "girlfriends," not "wives"... :p

That's also why he has so many guns, he is afraid of commitment. Plus, mom said he'd have to move out of the basement if he got married.

ABNAK
04-19-19, 22:08
That's also why he has so many guns, he is afraid of commitment. Plus, mom said he'd have to move out of the basement if he got married.

Uh huh.....Silver Anniversary next February. :rolleyes:

RobertTheTexan
04-19-19, 23:03
A little unasked for advice: do not worry about the opinions of others.

You have reached a level others before you have and others one day will: things are things and eventually proficiency fades.

My dad has advanced dementia. I now know that material things are material things unless it has some deep sentimental value.

Pursue the things that satisfy your soul to the degree that you think it will. I’m rapidly getting to the point that I do not want much - probably as it was always intended - but I make memories every single day with my aged parents.

Everyone will not “get it”.

But there’s always tomorrow.

Press on, brother.

Solid wisdom here. Very solid wisdom.

Uni-Vibe
04-20-19, 00:20
Pappabear said something very important. The vast majority of people I know who have guns, have a lot of them, but hardly ever shoot. They talk guns, go to gun shows, buy sell and trade guns, but shoot once in a blue moon. I admit, when the kids were small I shot a lot less than before or more recently. And some of my small collection get shot more than others. But Papa was right: there are more people into the idea of guns and shooting than there are people who shoot.

Firefly
04-20-19, 00:29
All I unironically need is my slut Colt, Garand, Model 39, and a 686.

People with Punisher like armories are the apex of homosexuality

ChattanoogaPhil
04-20-19, 05:24
Are we here to shoot or buy?

Put me in the shoot more than buy column. I'm fortunate to live close to great shooting facilities. Not a collector or otherwise obsessed with any one type of firearm, but the AR satisfies the tinkerer in me more than any other.

Vegas
04-20-19, 06:59
My core AR's haven't changed much in the last three years since I settled on what I like. My two most used guns have *shock* keymod rails, not new hotness rails. My oldest upper has a C4 which is going nowhere.

As far as the FF vs plastic handguards debate, I prefer a longer reach for comfort and recoil control.

One thing that happened in the last couple of years for me was a consolidation of handguns. Those I sold off were used to upgrade my reloading and other gear.

ozarkpugs
04-20-19, 08:02
This may have been covered if so sorry but how many bolt action / lever action / pump action guns are y'all hoarding from your pre modern rifle days ? You know in case they outlaw ARs / MSR type evil guns we will have something to fight with to get our rights back . I would imagine most middle aged AR owners have more non ARs than ARs .I would also think you can look in someone's gun cabinet and guess their age group. Rifles have evolved , the guns people shot 150 years ago are just relic's and antiques now . To me the AR is a modern sporting rifle and nothing else . Would I prefer it to non AR 15/ MSR platforms if I had to go to battle ? Yes . Would I refuse to go to battle if I had to use another older type platform? No. My older hunting rifles would suffice and the left knows it . The best thing about the AR platform is it has gotten non hunting people into the shooting sports . That is great for hunters , target shooters or weekend contractors alike . I definitely don't shoot my MSR / defense / SHTF guns enough but I hardly ever shoot the old timers guns at all any more .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hmac
04-20-19, 08:58
I’ve gotten rid of four in the last year. There was not a stellar return. I maybe lost a couple bennies between the four, however.

Still not sure I would realize an actual advantage to a KAC.
I've never understood the hushed reverence with which M4C speaks of of Knight's Armament. I'm sure it's a good rifle, but I agree with Mark M...I already have 4 good rifles and can't even see the need for that fleet of firearms, let alone adding yet another of questionable supriority that does exactly the same thing. Bragging rights don't interest me as much as functionality and reliability.

26 Inf
04-20-19, 10:43
Uh huh.....Silver Anniversary next February. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about you. (ETA: after reading the posts I see how it seemed that way.)

If I was addressing you I would have said something clever about folks who haven't done their part by having kids bitching about the changing demographics of America. :sarcastic:

khc3
04-20-19, 12:15

I dunno, I think someone once said an unexamined life ain’t worth living.

But Euro is looking at it from his perspective. People with other circumstances might see it a little differently. Like some have said, time is more valuable than money, and the half-day spent shooting rifles for me often feels like more of a selfish expenditure than going online and buying some gun parts. I deal with that by incorporating it with time with my son, shooting our .22 precision bolt guns, but between work, family, & civic responsibilities, I feel guilty sometimes taking that half-day out of the weekend to go to the rifle range. I force myself to do it, to have some “me time,” and I’m lucky to have an indoor range about 2 mins from my house. I can get some quality pistol practice in in an hour, usually at least once a week.

I like Euro’s posts; I disagree with his conclusions sometimes, but I don’t doubt his sincerity.

RobertTheTexan
04-20-19, 12:56
I dunno, I think someone once said an unexamined life ain’t worth living.

But Euro is looking at it from his perspective. People with other circumstances might see it a little differently. Like some have said, time is more valuable than money, and the half-day spent shooting rifles for me often feels like more of a selfish expenditure than going online and buying some gun parts. I deal with that by incorporating it with time with my son, shooting our .22 precision bolt guns, but between work, family, & civic responsibilities, I feel guilty sometimes taking that half-day out of the weekend to go to the rifle range. I force myself to do it, to have some “me time,” and I’m lucky to have an indoor range about 2 mins from my house. I can get some quality pistol practice in in an hour, usually at least once a week.

I like Euro’s posts; I disagree with his conclusions sometimes, but I don’t doubt his sincerity.

I get your point from the “time” perspective, however where my viewpoint differs is that I don’t only shoot for “me” time. I consider it a civic responsibility to be proficient I the use of my firearms. Am I having “me” time while doing that? Usually, unless it’s 16 degrees and sleeting or 107 degrees in the summer. Then I would admit it’s not as much fun, and at that point I feel I’m more fulfilling my civic duty.

Then again as the saying goes, “A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work. (Or playing tennis or watching golf )
I too have an indoor range within 10 minutes of where I live and sometimes I’ll go there during lunch or take a late lunch, where I’m often the only one there. Especially when I’m working from home. However 99% of my range time is conducted in the back 40 of a cow pasture - just to say that range time isn’t usually bench shooting my firearms, but I have the freedom to do more focused training.

Eurodriver
04-20-19, 17:17

Thanks man. That means a lot.

ABNAK
04-20-19, 18:07
I wasn't talking about you. (ETA: after reading the posts I see how it seemed that way.)

If I was addressing you I would have said something clever about folks who haven't done their part by having kids bitching about the changing demographics of America. :sarcastic:

Yeah yeah.....

Travelingchild
04-21-19, 06:54
Easter sale, notifications "Sale , Sale , Sale"

Purchased? NOTHING...

Heading to the Range noonish...

Pi3
04-23-19, 22:04
Are we here to shoot or to buy? Yes. Both. Euro struck a nerve it appears.
The two American guilty pleasures are sports & shopping. This hobby is a perfect storm of both.
Shopping has become entertainment.

Firefly
04-24-19, 06:00
I refuse to chase the dragon

I have my vanity guns and my “killin’ guns”
and the least cool looking get used the most.

But my vanity stuff is either Vietnam War clones or some weird idea

Like I want a 20” 338 lapua bolt action and people say I’m on acid

Cokie
04-24-19, 06:04

I thought you were on acid before I read this.

Eurodriver
04-24-19, 07:04
I thought you were on acid before I read this.

This made me lol.

Outlander Systems
04-24-19, 09:20
See. I can get behind this, but by the time you get to the LM, you’re knocking on 50’s door. Might as well step on through it.

I refuse to chase the dragon

I have my vanity guns and my “killin’ guns”
and the least cool looking get used the most.

But my vanity stuff is either Vietnam War clones or some weird idea

Eurodriver
04-24-19, 10:42
See. I can get behind this, but by the time you get to the LM, you’re knocking on 50’s door. Might as well step on through it.

Miss me with that numismatic bs.

Firefly
04-24-19, 11:21
I may be on acid, but at least I’m not [DIFFERENTLY ABLED].

That’s like implying I use a 50 Deagle when all I want is a snubnose .454 Casull.

2cowabunga4me homes

Doc Safari
04-24-19, 11:22
I may be on acid, but at least I’m not [DIFFERENTLY ABLED].

That’s like implying I use a 50 Deagle when all I want is a snubnose .454 Casull.

2cowabunga4me homes

I picture you with a custom made 338 Lapua Magnum Taurus Judge. And rhinestone cowboy boots. Think: The guitar-playing thug from the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. Yeah, that's the ticket.

https://youtu.be/lBIogTTYsN4

Firefly
04-24-19, 11:30
....picture a huge ass Fez looking dude in Adidas with a Smith and I can abide this

Doc Safari
04-24-19, 11:32
....picture a huge ass Fez looking dude in Adidas with a Smith and I can abide this

All right. Fez it is. With Sicario tats. Just sayin'.

Firefly
04-24-19, 11:36
All right. Fez it is. With Sicario tats. Just sayin'.

No tattoos. Tattoos are for gay people who only like real women. I’m too masculine to doodle on myself.

Doc Safari
04-24-19, 11:37
No tattoos. Tattoos are for gay people who only like real women. I’m too masculine to doodle on myself.

I picture a giant Santa Muerte on your back.

Firefly
04-24-19, 11:39
Firefly and Eurodriver in happier times

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/ba/0a/f0ba0a56b6fd8b6c881dac27570e6b84.jpg

Also NO TATTOOS

Doc Safari
04-24-19, 11:40
Also NO TATTOOS

At least the teardrop in the corner of the eye. A must.

04-24-19, 12:39
Firefly and Eurodriver in happier times

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/ba/0a/f0ba0a56b6fd8b6c881dac27570e6b84.jpg

Also NO TATTOOS

Thats not a G19....

Edit: next Euro thread: all you need is a P228

Firefly
04-24-19, 13:00
Thats not a G19....

Edit: next Euro thread: all you need is a P228

Lol no we were high AF on cocaine, makers mark, and Brazilian tang. Once we sobered up we ditched them craptacular Sigs and got real guns.

Matching G43Xs bruh

04-24-19, 13:21
Lol no we were high AF on cocaine, makers mark, and Brazilian tang. Once we sobered up we ditched them craptacular Sigs and got real guns.

Matching G43Xs bruh

You guys got sober? Also, G43x, sounds like you might not have.

prepare
04-24-19, 19:37
If you don't have self control you end up reacting habitually and emotionally. This leads to feeling stressed/defeated, feeling like you're letting the environment and/or circumstances/situation make decisions in the moment that you end up regretting later on.

Gun forums can be an expensive education.

pag23
04-25-19, 05:46

Matching G43Xs bruh

What's wrong with the Sig P229s....lol

JSantoro
04-25-19, 07:42
Closed @OP’s request.