PDA

View Full Version : KIMBER TLE/RL II HOLSTER RECOMENDATIONS

shade1
11-09-08, 04:12
Ok so im looking for a holster for my kimber tle rl II, ok first off ive checked out safari land and blade tech, both of those are fine but i need some specifics the problem im running into is i want a holster that i can run with or without a tac light at the moment i have not bought a weapon light for it but id like to in the future hence the holster working with or without the light.:confused:

sff70
11-09-08, 08:31
What do you want to do with it, and how much do you want to spend?

Duty?
Concealment?
IWB?
OWB?
Shoulder?

As to lights, IMO the X300 is the best way to go. Very compact, very reliable. If you shop around, you can get a pretty good price. If you are MIL or LE, you get 20% off MSRP.

Unless there is some new wonder-holster that's been recently released, holsters that are made to fit the gun when the light is mounted will NOT retain the gun if you insert it into the holster when the light is not mounted.

Duty holster - Until they release a 6360 that will fit a 1911 with mounted light, get the Safariland 6280-53. Spend the extra few dollars to get the hood guard.

Concealment holster - Best by far that I have used is the Raven Concealment Systems.

Go to these two sites:

www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com
www.themalabarfront.com

RCS is way more comfortable and concealable than the comparable offerings from Blade-Tech (of which I have several), in no small part due to thin kydex of the RCS, and due to the clips used to secure the holster to your belt.

Also, because RCS is a modular holster, a simple change in mounting hardware can change cant of the holster, and also convert from OWB to IWB, etc.

That way if you decide you want to try different styles of carry (OWB, IWB), you simply spend a few dollars for new clips or loops, instead of buying a totally new holster and never again using the old one.

Be sure to get a good belt (1.75" width). Skimping on the belt is common mistake, but the belt is the foundation of your holster and can make carrying more comfotable and concealable, or not.

A 1911 with mounted light and 2 spare mags on the belt makes for a lot of weight to carry around, so a good belt and good holster are important.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on and how it works for you.

shade1
11-09-08, 13:40
it will be for defensive handgun and carbine classes so i would assume i would want OWB, just something simple that will get the job done also what belts would be recomended. and between paddle or belt loops what are the opinions there? ive never shoped for a holster before cause ive never needed one until now. Im headed to frontsight in late december granted i could call them but i wanted to see what ppl here had to say first

sff70
11-09-08, 17:13
Then my vote is for RCS holster and either RCS mag pouch or Eagle FB style mag pouch and a Wilderness instructor belt in 1.75".

Or, a Safariland 6004 with hood guard.

In my experience, paddle holsters are not as comfortable or concealable as holsters that use belt loops.

You could get a cheap holster like an Uncle Mike's but if you carry much you'll buy a better holster down the road. May as well buy quality up front and not waste the $$$.

mstennes
11-09-08, 20:40
I have always liked Kramer holsters