PDA

View Full Version : Very strange gas problem.

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 14:39
Manufacturer is investigating but has found nothing.

I shoot roughly 30k rounds a year and have 4 of this same rifle.

Anyways... rifle in question is a ZEV (mega arms) factory built rifle. It has zero malfunctions and is very accuarate. The problem is that when the rifle is cold gas pours out of the bolt catch. Exactly like if i were to be running a suppressor. After 2 or 3 magazines it stops doing this. I cannot come up with a reason for this and neither can anyone else it seems. It is bad enough that it makes the rifle hard to shoot. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TMS951
04-22-19, 15:17
Did you swap BCG and see what happened?

Something is loose, it gets hot, expands and seals. I'd think gas key is most likely, even if it feels tight to the fingers it may not be "sealed"

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 15:18
Did you swap BCG and see what happened?

Something is loose, it gets hot, expands and seals. I'd think gas key is most likely, even if it feels tight to the fingers it may not be "sealed"I will try that tomorrow. I have several bcg i can swap with

themonk
04-22-19, 16:11
Do you mean the ejection port? Makes the rifle hard to shoot due to gas to the face?

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 16:17
Double

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 16:19
Do you mean the ejection port? Makes the rifle hard to shoot due to gas to the face?Nope. Literally billows out of the bolt catch

eklarsen
04-22-19, 21:31
Run a wire through your gas key, check your BCG and make sure port holes are clear

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 21:35
Run a wire through your gas key, check your BCG and make sure port holes are clearWill try that also. Put a backup bcg that has never been fired. Will take to range tomorrow.

hk_shootr
04-23-19, 07:15
I would look at the gas key. Sounds like it is loose or simply isn't sealing until it gets warmed up

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 10:26
New bcg has solved the issue

MorphCross
04-23-19, 16:20
Are you sending the BCG back to ZEV?

If not Permatex Form-a-gasket Aviation 3D. While you are at it might as well trade out the machine screws for the O.C.K.S.

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 16:56
Are you sending the BCG back to ZEV?

If not Permatex Form-a-gasket Aviation 3D. While you are at it might as well trade out the machine screws for the O.C.K.S.I thought about chucking it out the window. Dang thing. For $2600 i am disappointed.