PDA

View Full Version : Wilson TTU vs Geissele SSP

uurys
04-22-19, 18:14
Anyone have or have used both?

I am going to buy one of these two triggers, but I just can't decide which. I have searched high and low and have not been able to find a head to head comparison.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 18:31
Anyone have or have used both?

I am going to buy one of these two triggers, but I just can't decide which. I have searched high and low and have not been able to find a head to head comparison.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Geissele vs anything is always Geissele.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Biggy
04-22-19, 18:35
I use and prefer the Wilson TTU Paul Howe version to any other trigger out there on my all around AR15 fighting rifles, but the Geissele SSP or Larue triggers are a better value.

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 18:43
I use and prefer the Wilson TTU Paul Howe version to any other trigger out there, but the Geissele SSP or Larue triggers are a much better value.The how is $180 and the ssa-e is 180-240 depending on sales.

Biggy
04-22-19, 19:41
The how is $180 and the ssa-e is 180-240 depending on sales.

It looks like Wilson lowered the price quite a bit on their triggers from when I got mine many years ago. I think I paid around $250. for mine. 😭

TacticalFun
04-22-19, 19:42
It looks like Wilson lowered the price quite a bit on their triggers from when I got mine many years ago. I think I paid around $250. for mine. [emoji24]At least you like it. I have a hudson h9 that has dropped nearly $600 in value

ryanm
04-23-19, 07:23
I have quite a few Geissele triggers, including the SSP. I also have the TTU single stage and M2. I really like all of the above, it comes down to a lot of personal preference. The single stage TTU is very smooth with a clean break and fast rest. If you have a chance to visit Brownells retail store in Grinell, Iowa--they have a trigger display where you can walk up and pull almost every trigger they sell and compare.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-23-19, 07:33
It looks like Wilson lowered the price quite a bit on their triggers from when I got mine many years ago. I think I paid around $250. for mine. ��

I paid $248 in 2014.

md66948
04-23-19, 08:52
I never used a Geissele SSP Trigger but we do have 5 Super 3 Gun (S3G) Geissele Triggers installed into our family of ARs. They all work Great.

Duffy
04-23-19, 09:33
I've had a TTU for years, then I had a Hiperfire 3 gun single stage, both are superb triggers. The Hiperfire has way too many parts, so it got replaced with an SSP. My first reaction was "why did I spend more to get the same trigger?" Don't buy into the hype.

uurys
04-23-19, 10:24
I've had a TTU for years, then I had a Hiperfire 3 gun single stage, both are superb triggers. The Hiperfire has way too many parts, so it got replaced with an SSP. My first reaction was "why did I spend more to get the same trigger?" Don't buy into the hype.

So, Duffy, you think the TTU is the way to go?

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 10:25
So, Duffy, you think the TTU is the way to go?Remember that the ssa-e is the industry standard for a reason.

Duffy
04-23-19, 10:51
You'll be well served by an ATC, Hiperfire (not the one with extra springs, rods and clips) and Wilson, let's not forget the old and established makers like JP, KAC, etc. that seem to have yielded to the new comers, but are very much as viable as ever. I'm not voting against SSP.

SSP is a good trigger, it's in my test gun, I like it well enough, but is it worth the asking price? I got it with dealer discount, which doesn't amount to much, G undercuts dealer all the time. If Mark can sell his wire EDM MBT at $87 and still makes a profit, how much margin are you paying for a cast trigger at $240? These triggers are not priced reasonably, but based on what people are willing to pay.

Not sure about any G trigger as the industry standard, there's entirely too much fanboyism and hype surrounding some companies. Remember the old saying "If LaRue is an option, LaRue is the option", how many people still say that? Fans are a fickle bunch, loyalties may change as often and swift as the winds.

drtywk
04-23-19, 15:52
Remember that the ssa-e is the industry standard for a reason.

Opinions are extremely subjective and like Duffy said, fanboyism runs rampant. I'm not saying you are, but the industry says different when it comes to available options. I have a significant number of G triggers, including an SSP, but I will more than likely never buy anything from G in the future, especially with the MBT being as close as it is and at a far better value, as well as the way that they are handling the issue with the URG-I kits for DOD.

Duffy
04-23-19, 16:44
Fanboyism is not helpful to the users that might not know better but believe what many are raving about, it also has an adverse effect if the company starts to believe in the fan fueled hype, and thinks everything it does is automatically the best.

The real losers are the users.

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 16:55
Fanboyism is not helpful to the users that might not know better but believe what many are raving about, it also has an adverse effect if the company starts to believe in the fan fueled hype, and thinks everything it does is automatically the best.

The real losers are the users.I own about 80 rifles with every trigger that you can think of. No fanboy here.

Duffy
04-23-19, 17:20
I didn't say you were, and didn't think you were. If I did, I still wouldn't have accused you of it :D

TomMcC
04-23-19, 18:04
I own about 80 rifles with every trigger that you can think of. No fanboy here.

80 rifles! Wow! The only thing I have 80 of is dollars...lol.

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 18:06
80 rifles! Wow! The only thing I have 80 of is dollars...lol.Those are rookie numbers. Get a wife and you will have $8

TomMcC
04-23-19, 18:13
Those are rookie numbers. Get a wife and you will have $8

I got one, and things have definitely eased up on the gun buying.

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 18:14
I got one, and things have definitely eased up on the gun buying.Yikes. My wife says "its your money, buy whatever you want"

Duffy
04-23-19, 18:23
Haha me too, good thing I got most of it out of my system (bought many of what I wanted) before marriage.

TomMcC
04-23-19, 18:27
Yikes. My wife says "its your money, buy whatever you want"

Like I told my son..."your mom is here to civilize you"...me too it turns out.

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 18:58
Like I told my son..."your mom is here to civilize you"...me too it turns out.You can live vicariously through me

TomMcC
04-23-19, 19:17
You can live vicariously through me

Thanks bro...what's our next purchase!

TacticalFun
04-23-19, 19:20
Thanks bro...what's our next purchase!Just ordered this lol. But back on topic...buy whatever trigger makes you happyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/c49706d00d9b147caf3191cb26583bcc.jpg

TomMcC
04-23-19, 19:33
Just ordered this lol. But back on topic...buy whatever trigger makes you happyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/c49706d00d9b147caf3191cb26583bcc.jpg

Very nice.

04-24-19, 04:45
I use and prefer the Wilson TTU Paul Howe version to any other trigger out there, but the Geissele SSP or Larue triggers are a better value.

Since this thread has gone off the rails, I am interested in hearing more about the Paul Howe TTU. Specifically in comparison to the SSA.

prepare
04-24-19, 05:07
I'm interested in how the LaRue MBT 2S compares to the SSA?

hk_shootr
04-24-19, 06:22
I'm interested in how the LaRue MBT 2S compares to the SSA?

Comparing a two stage to a single.....?

Ok,
The Larue is cheaper
The Larue’s trigger shoe has a non standard shape
The Larue breaks ok, but the reset is not as good as the SSA

IMO, if the pricing were identical, the Geissele would be a clear choice

prepare
04-24-19, 08:23
Comparing a two stage to a single.....?

Ok,
The Larue is cheaper
The Larue’s trigger shoe has a non standard shape
The Larue breaks ok, but the reset is not as good as the SSA

IMO, if the pricing were identical, the Geissele would be a clear choice
The MBT 2S is a 2 stage hence the 2S designation.

hk_shootr
04-24-19, 09:27
Yep, had a brain fart.

Still.....the SSA is a better piece

Duffy
04-24-19, 09:42
Only the SSP is a single stage, the SSA certainly is a 2 stage (NM it was just mentioned above, I was minutes too late lol)

There are things to like about both. Do the dislikes amount to $150 worth of price difference? One is wire EDM, the other is cast.

One is priced to spite another company, the other is priced according to what people are willing to pay. If both prices were equal, I'd still go with Mark's triggers.

AKDoug
04-24-19, 22:00
I honestly like the feel of the MBT better than my SSA... so my decision is easy.

feraldog
04-25-19, 11:50
i now use TTUs in all. unitized it doesn't require perfect pin alignment, installs quickly, doesn't need special retaining pins, and is one of the few brands offering single-stage (i know, i'm stupid for liking that)

that said, larue mbt is a super-buy if 2-stage is your preference

Torquetard
04-27-19, 10:13
Having an SSA, a couple of SD3Gs, and a few MBTs, I really don't care which one I use, they're all great. But having owned the SD-E, that thing was overhyped trash to me. too light, bad reset, if you need that light of a trigger in an AR go run a milspec trigger for a while 😌

ryanm
06-21-19, 12:39
Paul Howe TTU arriving today and LaRue next week. Have the Geisseles mentioned In this thread and a few others. Will post back comparison and trigger pull weights. Also have the regular TTU to throw in mix.

06-21-19, 13:20
Paul Howe TTU arriving today and LaRue next week. Have the Geisseles mentioned In this thread and a few others. Will post back comparison and trigger pull weights. Also have the regular TTU to throw in mix.
Thanks for the update. I’m interested in hearing about that Paul Howe TTU.

ryanm
06-22-19, 12:26
With the hiperfires, how do they address the springs gradually getting out of spec with each other? Seems like after 20k rounds there would be a difference.

markm
06-22-19, 14:21
I'm a stock Colt trigger fanboy! :cool:

I genuinely don't appreciate a snazzy trigger on a gas gun.

Stickman
06-22-19, 16:50
I think you are going to find it very very difficult to beat the WC TTU, and this is coming from someone who likes Geissele.

Victory
06-22-19, 19:23
I think you are going to find it very very difficult to beat the WC TTU, and this is coming from someone who likes Geissele.

Which SS TTU do you prefer, Stick? Standard or MIL/LE?

NongShim
06-23-19, 21:55
You'll be well served by an ATC, Hiperfire (not the one with extra springs, rods and clips) and Wilson, let's not forget the old and established makers like JP, KAC, etc. that seem to have yielded to the new comers, but are very much as viable as ever. I'm not voting against SSP.

SSP is a good trigger, it's in my test gun, I like it well enough, but is it worth the asking price? I got it with dealer discount, which doesn't amount to much, G undercuts dealer all the time. If Mark can sell his wire EDM MBT at $87 and still makes a profit, how much margin are you paying for a cast trigger at $240? These triggers are not priced reasonably, but based on what people are willing to pay.

Not sure about any G trigger as the industry standard, there's entirely too much fanboyism and hype surrounding some companies. Remember the old saying "If LaRue is an option, LaRue is the option", how many people still say that? Fans are a fickle bunch, loyalties may change as often and swift as the winds.

Roger, this isn’t a ding against you personally. This post is, however, emblematic of a sentiment that I don’t get, which seems pervasive on the forum.

Firstly, YES, we are a fickle bunch. If Any company is riding a wave top we will say that they have all the solutions to all of our problems. If that company gets surpassed and stops innovating we will forget them quickly. I’ve been guilty of that myself on so many occasions.

Secondly, and this is what I find typified in the post, I see a lot of posts about how something isn’t the standard when in fact it is. The collective internet hive mind of gun folks thinks “mil spec” is super important. Most folks don’t know what that means, but it’s super important to them, so they love to talk about it and they buy things from companies that sell “mil spec” stuff, even if it isn’t. I bet “Colt” and “TDP” have been used 10k times on this forum as a benchmark. For good reason too; Colt builds the standard. For all intents and purposes, one can purchase this standard (within the limits of tyranny) for a paltry sum of around $800. ‘Merica!

Things go off the rails about other stuff that is absolutely standardized, though. Take this atopic of triggers that aren’t GI; there are standards, they just don’t jive with some opinions. I can think of two non Colt/FN/contract vendor GI triggers. They are the Geissele SSF and the KAC two stage. They are officially adopted triggers that are held to a specified standard put forth by the military. Guess what? They are “mil-spec.”

Same goes for .308 gas guns. There are a few officially adopted .308 gas guns. There have been for decades. The main one has gone through a few iterations, just like the M16 FOW. Those iterations were specified and subsequently adopted by the military. Mil-spec. That rifle is of course the SR-25, type classified by a few different monickers. The Mk17 is also a “mil spec” .308 gas gun.

I realize this is slightly off topic, but people keep saying over and over that there isn’t a standard for certain things when there is. Plenty of other items get the same treatment, but I don’t want to totally derail things. The point is that just because the price of admission is cost prohibitive or a given person may like something else better doesn’t mean there isn’t a standard. So while the guy whom called a certain Geissele product “standard” was wrong about the specific product, it is derived from something that actually is.

Flame on haters.

Again, Roger, this isn’t a slight against you, but your post just carried what I thought was a sentiment that needed addressing in general. I see these ideas getting used a lot.

bp7178
06-23-19, 23:49
On the topic, I'm over the whole two-stage trigger thing for AR15 pattern rifles The Wilson TTU MIL is fantastic. I tried the lighter pull TTU, but the reset wasn't as good. Having owned nearly everything in the Geissele AR15 trigger catalog, I thoroughly enjoy a nice single stage. The TTU MIL is amazing in that as soon as you apply the requisite lbs, it just goes. Reset is exactly what it should be. There's no two-stage nonsense. I don't understand the logic of pulling the trigger until you hit a wall, then finalizing alignment, breathing etc, and pulling through the that wall. I've shifted to a "first best sight picture" style when trying to shoot little things far away.

ChattanoogaPhil
06-24-19, 09:24
Been using the TR-TTU (4lb) for 5 years. I paid a lot more than today's prices. At first it felt too light but soon proved plenty heavy. It doesn't get too cold here so even on the coldest days only light gloves. If I lived up north I might have chosen the heavier TR-TTU-MIL.

It's interesting what you get used to. I used a GI trigger for 20 years. It worked fine. Since then I've become used to the TTU over the past few years. A couple months ago I shot a rifle with a GI trigger. I thought it was so bad that I'd rather not even have a rifle if I had to use a GI trigger. But I suppose if I shot with it for a while I'd get used to it. That said, I won't be reinstalling GI triggers from the parts box. :D

The finer differences between two comparable spec Wilson/Geissele triggers... maybe feel the difference if side-by-side but I don't know if it's going to yield much difference in use. Happy trigger hunting.

06-24-19, 10:05
Nong Shim,
on the subject of Geissele triggers being issued in military rifles, in the fairly recent 11+ years of SOF experience, I was never once issued a weapon with a Geissele trigger. Every weapon I’ve been issued came with whatever trigger it left the factory with. Perhaps my hair just wasn’t long enough. If some dude buys something and puts in in his gun, that doesn’t quite mean the same thing as “standard”, or “x unit uses it”.

I’ve always chalked up claims of .mil and especially SOF usage of gun products to marketing hype and BS. A great example is .300 BLK. “Its what the secret squirrels from CAG’s Alaskan Yak Brigade use while operating operationally!” I’m pretty sure AAC has sold more stuff to civilians with that type of hype and rumor capitalization than anyone will ever sell to DoD. Or, “6.8SPC is what Special Forces use!”. How’d that work out? Fact is, these rumors and hype are easy to take advantage of, because they are difficult for the average LARPer to verify or dispel.

I’m sure Geissele triggers are sitting in some DoD rifles, but I would only consider them a “standard” in that most civilian trigger nerds would be familiar with them as a reference point. If you NEED a SSF or SSA to conduct Enter and Clear, Hostage Rescue, or Vehicle Interdiction, you SUCK, and will not be the one going on those targets. Real funeral arrangers concern themselves more with footwear and booze than triggers.

bp7178
06-24-19, 18:28
Real funeral arrangers concern themselves more with footwear and booze than triggers.

Epic. :neo:

DirtDiver06
06-24-19, 20:27
Nong Shim,
on the subject of Geissele triggers being issued in military rifles, in the fairly recent 11+ years of SOF experience, I was never once issued a weapon with a Geissele trigger. Every weapon I’ve been issued came with whatever trigger it left the factory with. Perhaps my hair just wasn’t long enough. If some dude buys something and puts in in his gun, that doesn’t quite mean the same thing as “standard”, or “x unit uses it”.

I’ve always chalked up claims of .mil and especially SOF usage of gun products to marketing hype and BS. A great example is .300 BLK. “Its what the secret squirrels from CAG’s Alaskan Yak Brigade use while operating operationally!” I’m pretty sure AAC has sold more stuff to civilians with that type of hype and rumor capitalization than anyone will ever sell to DoD. Or, “6.8SPC is what Special Forces use!”. How’d that work out? Fact is, these rumors and hype are easy to take advantage of, because they are difficult for the average LARPer to verify or dispel.

I’m sure Geissele triggers are sitting in some DoD rifles, but I would only consider them a “standard” in that most civilian trigger nerds would be familiar with them as a reference point. If you NEED a SSF or SSA to conduct Enter and Clear, Hostage Rescue, or Vehicle Interdiction, you SUCK, and will not be the one going on those targets. Real funeral arrangers concern themselves more with footwear and booze than triggers.

Never gave a shit about triggers on my issued guns as long as they went bang. But on personally owned guns, they were/are just a "nice to have" thing. This is why I only use single stage triggers in my gas guns; it's what I'm used too.

NongShim
06-24-19, 20:29
Nong Shim,

Just because you weren’t issued something doesn’t mean it’s not a program of record and being issued in droves. No snark implied.

06-25-19, 02:01
Just because you weren’t issued something doesn’t mean it’s not a program of record and being issued in droves. No snark implied.

No doubt.

Victory
07-04-19, 12:48
Picked up a Wilson TTU MIL with anti-walk pins for $160 on sale, couldn’t say no to 20% off.

feraldog
07-04-19, 13:14
excellent buy. but i can say that the wilson units are well designed so don't need anti-walks. they are one of the few cassette triggers that don't.

Victory
07-04-19, 13:18
excellent buy. but i can say that the wilson units are well designed so don't need anti-walks. they are one of the few cassette triggers that don't.

I figured but they nudged the cart total just over $200 for the discount to kick in.

Duffy
07-05-19, 09:52
Standards don't change as often as trends and popularity of a product or manufacturer. TDP specs haven't changed much, so for many of us, these dimensions and tolerances are our guidelines.

I think the standard you're referring to is more of the adopted, or perceived variety that are not necessarily on the books as minimum conditions to meet. My standards may be set higher than others, but they'd be mine, they're not necessarily compatible, or similar to ones held by others, they're not published and adhered to by anyone but my company, thus I don't impose them on anyone but ourselves, as they're not applicable to anyone but us. Anyway, we may be parsing words and reading too much into it :)

Roger, this isn’t a ding against you personally. This post is, however, emblematic of a sentiment that I don’t get, which seems pervasive on the forum.

Firstly, YES, we are a fickle bunch. If Any company is riding a wave top we will say that they have all the solutions to all of our problems. If that company gets surpassed and stops innovating we will forget them quickly. I’ve been guilty of that myself on so many occasions.

Secondly, and this is what I find typified in the post, I see a lot of posts about how something isn’t the standard when in fact it is. The collective internet hive mind of gun folks thinks “mil spec” is super important. Most folks don’t know what that means, but it’s super important to them, so they love to talk about it and they buy things from companies that sell “mil spec” stuff, even if it isn’t. I bet “Colt” and “TDP” have been used 10k times on this forum as a benchmark. For good reason too; Colt builds the standard. For all intents and purposes, one can purchase this standard (within the limits of tyranny) for a paltry sum of around $800. ‘Merica!

Things go off the rails about other stuff that is absolutely standardized, though. Take this atopic of triggers that aren’t GI; there are standards, they just don’t jive with some opinions. I can think of two non Colt/FN/contract vendor GI triggers. They are the Geissele SSF and the KAC two stage. They are officially adopted triggers that are held to a specified standard put forth by the military. Guess what? They are “mil-spec.”

Same goes for .308 gas guns. There are a few officially adopted .308 gas guns. There have been for decades. The main one has gone through a few iterations, just like the M16 FOW. Those iterations were specified and subsequently adopted by the military. Mil-spec. That rifle is of course the SR-25, type classified by a few different monickers. The Mk17 is also a “mil spec” .308 gas gun.

I realize this is slightly off topic, but people keep saying over and over that there isn’t a standard for certain things when there is. Plenty of other items get the same treatment, but I don’t want to totally derail things. The point is that just because the price of admission is cost prohibitive or a given person may like something else better doesn’t mean there isn’t a standard. So while the guy whom called a certain Geissele product “standard” was wrong about the specific product, it is derived from something that actually is.

Flame on haters.

Again, Roger, this isn’t a slight against you, but your post just carried what I thought was a sentiment that needed addressing in general. I see these ideas getting used a lot.

10MMGary
07-24-19, 16:30
I purchased two SSA-E's from either PSA or Primary Arms a couple years back for $170.00 each to my mailbox. My first Geissele was from Geissele direct way back relatively speaking, it was electro pencil numbered/etched and I believe it was marketed simply as the Geissele Super Semi Auto trigger and IIRC I paid $178.00. If any of these three ever get FUBAR I will be getting the MTB from LaRue to try as a replacement.

noonesshowmonkey
07-27-19, 17:03
Real funeral arrangers concern themselves more with footwear and booze than triggers.

The repartee between Nongshim, 1168, and Roger has been really great. M4C has it's moments, and this was definitely one of them.