PDA

View Full Version : Adams Arms being auctioned off

Ryno12
04-22-19, 20:09
Was never into their stuff but it’ll be interesting to see who picks this up.

http://www.moeckerauctions.com/auctions/adams-arms-llc

Stickman
04-22-19, 20:28
IIRC, the board voted the founder out, then later run the company into its present position... now its out to auction.

njl
04-22-19, 22:29
That sucks. I’ve got one of their .308 ARs. I guess it could be worse, they could have one of mine.

kyjd75
04-23-19, 05:28
The AR industry has tanked significantly in the past couple of years for a lot of companies. AA is just one example. You can go to the manufacturers Report prepared by ATF and compare production records and see that AA's business is down significantly. Here is what I found: Rifle/Pistol production for 2014--7,652 units; 2015-- 6,471 units; 2016-- 8,802 units; and 2017-- 2,420 units. In other words AA's number of rifles/pistols fell by almost 73% in one year (2017 vs 2016). To survive a sales drop like that you have to be a well managed, financial stable company with either substantial cash assets or at the minimum good lines of credit available. What is really interesting is that this drop in sales is not limited to AA. If you look at the figures, you can see that it is happening to almost (but not quite) everyone in the AR business. The exceptions are the "big boys" who have other lines and products to depend on. For "boutique" AR companies these cannot be happy times.

GH41
04-23-19, 07:31
I have no idea how competitive the machining industry is but I do know those machines and the people who ran them could do other work besides building guns. Judging by the parts laying around they rode building rifles to the very end.

Ryno12
04-23-19, 09:21
I have no idea how competitive the machining industry is but I do know those machines and the people who ran them could do other work besides building guns. Judging by the parts laying around they rode building rifles to the very end.

Machine shops up by us are very busy.

Seems like they could’ve altered their business to suit other machining needs if they wanted to stay in business.

...but I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes at AA.

Esq.
04-23-19, 10:33

Take a look at Aero as a good example in reverse.....

GH41
04-23-19, 11:14

Yes. Many do gun stuff almost as a sideline. Aero is a perfect example.

VIP3R 237
04-23-19, 12:18

The manufacturer I worked for started as a firearms company that did all their machining in house, but after the trump slump they had to start taking outside projects because sitting mazaks aren’t making you money. Now the machine projects side has taken over so much that the firearms side has been reduced to a skeleton crew and is much more efficient and profitable.

Esq.
04-23-19, 12:22
The manufacturer I worked for started as a firearms company that did all their machining in house, but after the trump slump they had to start taking outside projects because sitting mazaks aren’t making you money. Now the machine projects side has taken over so much that the firearms side has been reduced to a skeleton crew and is much more efficient and profitable.

In the modern economy, and as related to firearms specifically, I think companies are stupid if they don't diversify.