PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here, and just bought a Colt AR, Model 6721

paleone
11-09-08, 14:37
paid 1450.00 out the door....I was looking for a 6920 but could not find one in my neck of the woods. I know it has the 1 in 9 twist barral rather than the much praised 1 in 7 barral. I took her apart cleaned her up and lubed her up and she runs fine for the 200 rounds I put down the pipe.
Here is my question. I have been shooting ARs for years and love the platform. I carry a colt defender and love the gun......I have never felt that the colt ARs were worth the coin but broke down and purchased the gold standard due to the fact that it may be my last chance due to the election and all.
So how bad did I get burned on the price?????????? This gun has the F/A bolt carrier and H buffer....all in all I am pleased, but the money I spent on this thing bothers me. I normally build my own for around a grand and have never had any problems with any of my builds if you can call them that. slapping a bolt carrier into a upper, and putting two halfs togeather is not building a rifle, LOL. and what is with this 20 round mag deal....for this kind of money one should get 2 30 round mags. But no matter I have lots of Pmags . Thanks in advance for any replys

The Only Place I want to see a liberal is in a Museum

bkb0000
11-09-08, 15:10
how bad you got "ripped off" is gonna depend on your own budget/standards/preferences, i think. $1,400 seems to be a typical gun-store price. I do know that colt has an outstanding reputation for reliability and accuracy. The colts i've fired have been accurate enough for me not to be able to out-shoot them. You have an unquestionably well made rifle to begin with, and that's important.

I do, however, agree that they're unjustly expensive. You can get an LMT with FRILLs for less money, and have a weapon that's at least as good, easier to get components for, and has a lifetime warranty. LMT defender w/ sopmod / ambi safety / 2 stage trigger / ergo grip / 16" upper / guards / FA BCG = less than $1,300, not including transfer and shipping.

But it's a Colt- right? Even if you could have got "more for less" I don't think anyone's justified in regretting the purchase of the Gold Standard stick. You dun fine. Your resale value is automatically higher, from the name alone. You're just gonna have to drop more do'h to get all the frills.

Sage
11-09-08, 16:30
Congrats paleone: Many of us would like to own a colt, but can't justify the extra cash. The colt 6920 is the first one I looked at, and it saddened me to have to look elsewhere. From your post you've been there and done that, but the colt bug just wouldn't turn you loose. You have yourself a great rifle, and the name to go along with it. :cool: Enjoy it while you can.

Failure2Stop
11-09-08, 16:49
paleone-

I am heartened to hear that there are still people out there that value quality.
Buy a Colt and cry once.

Could you have gotten a better price? Maybe- but who cares, it ain't gonna put the $$ back in your pocket is it?

Enjoy your election "celebration" rifle. ;)

bankerrkt
11-09-08, 17:09
paleone .... I hear you. I just bought a 6920 and paid $1400 for it. Everytime I stretch out of my budget a bit in order to buy higher quality I regret it in the short term. I had to swallow hard to buy this gun. However, in the long run I feel sure that I will pat myself on the back for buying Colt. I usually keep my guns for a long time so spending a little extra usually works out. Enjoy your gun. In a couple of years the extra $$ you paid won't bother you.

CLHC
11-09-08, 18:54
Way to go on your purchase selection. . .

Darkop
11-09-08, 23:44
paid 1450.00 out the door....I was looking for a 6920 but could not find one in my neck of the woods. I know it has the 1 in 9 twist barral rather than the much praised 1 in 7 barral. I took her apart cleaned her up and lubed her up and she runs fine for the 200 rounds I put down the pipe.
Here is my question. I have been shooting ARs for years and love the platform. I carry a colt defender and love the gun......I have never felt that the colt ARs were worth the coin but broke down and purchased the gold standard due to the fact that it may be my last chance due to the election and all.
So how bad did I get burned on the price?????????? This gun has the F/A bolt carrier and H buffer....all in all I am pleased, but the money I spent on this thing bothers me. I normally build my own for around a grand and have never had any problems with any of my builds if you can call them that. slapping a bolt carrier into a upper, and putting two halfs togeather is not building a rifle, LOL. and what is with this 20 round mag deal....for this kind of money one should get 2 30 round mags. But no matter I have lots of Pmags . Thanks in advance for any replys

The Only Place I want to see a liberal is in a Museum

Paleone
I have a 6920 and a 6721. I like them both a lot, but I prefer the 6721. I shoot and train with a lot of 55gr ball. The 1:9 twist does shoot 55gr a little bit better than the 1:7 yet still shoots the heavier stuff as well. I also have found that the 6721 heats up at a more consistant rate due to the heavier barrel. The 6920, due to the goofy ass M203 cut and the light barrel under the hand guards starts loosing accuracy quicker due to the many different barrel diameters.
I think you will find that the 6721 will turn out to be one of your favorite shooters. Now go out and run the piss out of it knowing you have one of the best!!!!

Until that day,
Darkop