PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cars - A Lighter Subject

JediGuy
04-23-19, 21:26
Figured this is a bit more light-hearted than most of what I see in this forum, but curious if others here share an interest in driving quickly.
Anyone else have a performance-oriented vehicle they like to work on and/or drive?

I’ve got an 06 Mustang GT that I picked up for a good deal in 2011. They guy I bought it from had upgraded the exhaust, swapped in lower springs, and changed various “appearance” things while he was in Afghanistan. Right away, I did the usual cold air intake and tuner, but then moved on to the rear control arms and panhard bar to keep the back end from hopping around, and some better tires.

After it was paid off and I started driving a company vehicle for work, I moved on to switching in the front rotors from the newer 11-14 GT’s, then the shocks/struts/strut mounts, and oil catch can. Added a cheap short throw shifter. I have a Steeda G-Trac brace that I haven’t installed yet, but is waiting in the garage.

Now... I’ve been collecting pieces here and there. Just picked up some used 18x10 wheels that will clear some new takeoff GT500 Brembo front calipers (both via eBay) and 14” rotors (new takeoffs via Facebook Marketplace). Also via eBay, got some used rear calipers, as the 06 has a slightly different fitting, so I can put on GT500 13.8” rear rotors; still have to order the bracket for that. I picked up Boss 302 brake lines a couple years ago, in preparation for this... I also have an Agent 47 lower grill set up for brake ducts; that will be project I haven’t taken on before. Overall, pretty excited about the improvement I’ll see in stopping consistency and quickness.

After that’s all on, I’ll move to what really interests me: aero. Step One will be modifying the stock hood my wife found for me on Facebook Marketplace... I think that work will be handed off to a professional.

I get this isn’t the be-all, end-all of a performance vehicle, but it’s paid off, it’s still rock solid, and it’ll be cool again by the time my kids can drive. And I can work on it myself, mostly.

Actual performance vehicle that I have my sights on? The Alfa Romeo 4C. Been eye-balling that thing for years now. Just need a bit more passive dineros before that can be justified.

soulezoo
04-23-19, 22:21
I have an 11 second pick up that tows my 12k fifth wheel.
My Audi A8 does 12's.

I'm good.

AndyLate
04-23-19, 22:26
I have a basically stock (Hurst shifter is only mod) 07 GT that I bought very lightly used in 08 when I retired from the Army. It's been a solid daily driver and I have enjoyed the car since the day I bought it. I have no illusions about its capabilities, but a 13 second car is not really a slouch.

I bought a leftover 2018 Silverado Z71 5.3 this year to take over DD duties and spare my pony some wear and tear. The truck is easier on my back getting in and out and much easier to drive in traffic jams and the yearly Alabama snow but the Mustang will still be in the drive rotation.

Lawnchair 04
04-23-19, 22:46
2002 corvette Z06, gets driven regularly. Got some work under the hood and a few upgrades here and there. Need to get away from northern VA to really enjoy what it can do though.

Diamondback
04-23-19, 23:21
Not yet, but I have a Bucket List project involving taking an '82-'84 Firebird apart and rebuilding it into a "new car stuffed into an old-car shell."

Continuously-variable transmission like a Subaru WRX
90-degree V6 or SBC V8, with electromagnetically operated valves rather than camshaft
Basically being able to tweak valve timing, fuel injection, gear ratios etc. in realtime for an intended goal, whether in Performance mode on the track or MPG mode as a long-range cruiser

Of course, all this means heavy onboard computers, which in turn mean a whole new nose and dash, because if you're gonna build a computer into a car as Doc Brown said "why not do it with style?" And what would be more apt for "style" in that context than either of the two ORIGINAL "rolling computers," KITT or his evil twin KARR? (Bonus, the '82 Firebird is already one of the lowest-drag cars ever built, and the sharklike Knight nose makes it even more so.)

yoni
04-23-19, 23:25
McLaren or Porsche for me, thank you very much.

JediGuy
04-24-19, 02:02
McLaren or Porsche for me, thank you very much.

If you’re throwing those names out, we’re going to need pictures.

JediGuy
04-24-19, 02:07
2002 corvette Z06, gets driven regularly. Got some work under the hood and a few upgrades here and there. Need to get away from northern VA to really enjoy what it can do though.

At the end of the day, the Corvette is still the only true American sports car. That being said, have you ever seen the old off road package vehicles from the 60’s (maybe 70’s?). There was one at the MCACN in Rosemont, IL a few years ago. Not crazy, but definitely unique. I followed Vorshlag’s Mustang build from a couple years ago, and noted they also do a good amount of work on Corvettes. Cool stuff and a cool car.

Firefly
04-24-19, 05:54
I had a sports car in my youth. Some days I wanna get one and most days I remember why its a waste of time

If I had the money I’d get a 350R or an Audi so that way I could be an Eurodriver too!

Probably not as good a shot but ya know...

ETA or even a Challenger Hellcat done up like the General Lee

yoni
04-24-19, 06:25
I am currently out of the USA, when I get back I will post pictures.

I don't have any photos in the computer and phone that I use for overseas trips.

Firefly
04-24-19, 06:32
I am currently out of the USA, when I get back I will post pictures.

I don't have any photos in the computer and phone that I use for overseas trips.

I dare you to put an Israeli Flag on the roof of your McLaren and call it the King David and take it on jumps and have the horn play Hava Nagila as you run moonshine.

And you have to hood slide

The hoodslide is most important or you’ll be in a heap of trouble

soulezoo
04-24-19, 07:32
Did I mention that my Audi has heated and cooled massaging seats with 5 different modes of massage? ;-)

The_War_Wagon
04-24-19, 08:19
I got too many speeding tickets as a yute, so I switched vehicle types.

https://oi212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/100_2074_zps5zfocmmv.jpg

Offroad... no radar gun can see your "speed"... :jester:

Firefly
04-24-19, 08:29
I got too many speeding tickets as a yute, so I switched vehicle types.

https://oi212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/100_2074_zps5zfocmmv.jpg

Offroad... no radar gun can see your "speed"... :jester:

unironically same. My late teens and early twenties with a sportscar.....ooh boy.

Now I just wanna be comfy. Im middle aged. im not in a hurry no more (still want an Audi AWD sorta for reasons)

Alex V
04-24-19, 08:33
I got a 2001 WS6 Trans Am 6spd when I was 18 in February of 2001. In the summer I installed an exhaust and bought drag radials and went 12.85. In the winter I was getting a line-lock installed and ended up picking up a used set of Heads/Cam which after replacing the broken 10-bolt and clutch went 11.32. Added a 75 shot of N2O and went 10.70. After a couple of years I went with a new H/C setup and ran it only once to an 11.1 when the shop asked me if they can use my car as a test bed for a new H/C setup. They installed it at no cost to me and I went 10.32. Had the car in an article in GM High Tech in 07 or 08. Several years later I freshened up the motor and went 10.24.

With the move to NC coming soon, I am looking at re-tuning it on E85 and picking up a few more HP. E85 is very rare in NJ.

Still a stick, still driven on the street, not as much as I would like tho.

Jer
04-24-19, 08:51
So you say your sedan is quick and has nice tech & features soulezoo? Please, tell me more.... ;)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3kj9_5BYb-R4mZC8RN27mbOzgU9OZrbhLbV41ShWjrewHjLiZgRlGNRf7NzqRe95sQ-1YrXZfGavrwZbeBPHpxigivlesSSz5xNJ2xZyysP_HSW7sBUpqJN-QogaRU6KUgOdVjK4_4E=w2400

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NxfMzMgtM93wuf2C8Sxc0cbkAWVL8cwSIQNJQavpSf0wdcTMdJHqC9xWUmWKtM8cZXVbTyViQGf4FzSDt1pn4aV6ZtiAptM5C1sw_OxvOSzJ1NdyuXZ_ESZdQkOQ-esRHrjKnEfP-2s=w2400

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/G2Oc-H199vxDUpD5axqp3iFlG6pme0_Cv0Xu-Fn2nZpmxMpu2BzVgSYxGXnj-iGqdITP2D00__PFtfBT9A2MWBYRv6xCZdvCsNUJa3yA3jERogvj18sqRVW1AvauNkOeznq1EXDkScw=w2400

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w027QrB1i4ENfqEE8ksX_Ha3AdQFRNMorzy6eGjIxT28Vwa12ONz562WDzqw1yw7bQzjmpBvmJkyFeNToWontkmOAOp-AAK-fd_Hk37LUSU-chJXTXpMbkoNIt9gXKPQdqwQlAIA-kY=w2400

Todd00000
04-24-19, 10:49
I've had two modern Corvettes, and two older Ferraris and now have a brand new base Mustang GT/5.0. It's amazing how good base cars are nowadays.

AndyLate
04-24-19, 12:44
Did I mention that my Audi has heated and cooled massaging seats with 5 different modes of massage? ;-)

My Mustang attracts hot and cool women with many more than 5 massage modes...

soulezoo
04-24-19, 12:57
My Mustang attracts hot and cool women with many more than 5 massage modes...

I'm married and old. Needs change.

AndyLate
04-24-19, 13:07
I'm married and old. Needs change.

I am both as well, although I am sure sports cars pull the ladies for someone.

Lawnchair 04
04-24-19, 13:16
In 08 as a young Lance Corporal I had a 02 z28 Camaro that I dumped tons of money into and I remember that puny ten bolt being the constant pain in the ass, bought a 04 GTO in 2010 and did absolutely nothing to it other than change the oil and put gas in it, had no issues. Kinda still want an old F body to cruise around in.

JediGuy
04-24-19, 13:22
Cool stuff on here, from pony cars to semi-exotics...

jpmuscle
04-24-19, 14:27
In 08 as a young Lance Corporal I had a 02 z28 Camaro that I dumped tons of money into and I remember that puny ten bolt being the constant pain in the ass, bought a 04 GTO in 2010 and did absolutely nothing to it other than change the oil and put gas in it, had no issues. Kinda still want an old F body to cruise around in.

Bruh... I had 94 z28.

That 10 bolt....
Those optisparks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex V
04-24-19, 14:47
Bruh... I had 94 z28.

That 10 bolt....
Those optisparks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it makes you feel better, I broke my Strange 12-bolt... don't even know how many times... 2 posi units, 5 or 6 sets of Ring/Pinion, one 33 spline axle...

Artos
04-24-19, 18:01
2017 ZL1...I was going to buy a 350R before I found out about the launch of this 50th Anniversary Camaro. Struggled between the standard & auto but couldn't pass up the technology of this new A10. Not sure what Ford is going to bring with the GT500 but will probably be 6 figures with retarded ADM most ALL Ford dealers stick to their fan boys. Best I could do on a 350R was $5k over sticker. My Chevy guy only had 2 allocations for the ZL1 & got $3k off. For a FAST car in the 60k-70k range you simply cannot touch the ZL1 or the even more track inspired ZL1 1LE. GM just put the A10 in the 1LE but has yet to run a formal hero run at the Ring'...best estimates it will beat the 2018 standard tranny by 10 seconds!!

2017 A10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmLnLJLQ0o

2018 ZL1 1LE M6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw&t=4s

You can gauge your preferred car here...just keep the $$$$ in mind.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

JC5188
04-24-19, 18:03
2016 mustang GT with the performance pack.6spd with the torsion diff and 3.73:1

Is a good little track car I would assumehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/3abf3b9f9b081b56a1f2fd88cd767d4a.jpg

I’ve got a canned tune and on street tires and a stick it’s turned a 13.2 @ 111mph.

Main issue is getting a better 60ft than 2.4/2.3. That car with the A10 is running 12.8’s

My daily driver

yoni
04-24-19, 18:21
I dare you to put an Israeli Flag on the roof of your McLaren and call it the King David and take it on jumps and have the horn play Hava Nagila as you run moonshine.

And you have to hood slide

The hoodslide is most important or you’ll be in a heap of trouble

I don't put anything on any of my cars, not an Israeli flag not gun sticker. I also think if I jumped the car the damage would be a ton of money to fix. As to the hood slide same answer, I am too cheap to want to pay to fix the damage.

26 Inf
04-24-19, 18:56
unironically same. My late teens and early twenties with a sportscar.....ooh boy.

I had a '65 GTO real deal, 3 deuces and a four speed and a 389. The only thing stock in the last motor I put in it were the block and heads. I was a shop major in high school just because of that car, it also helped that my GF's father (future FIL) was one of the big dog late model stock builders in the area.

Once my mom wanted to drive it so I let her. She came home complaining about the heavy clutch and the Lincoln PD following her. I ended up sans DL and walked for a little over a year - fortunately most of that year was spent at schools in the Marine Corps.

I miss that car. Body and interior were perfect. I told my mom to go ahead and sell it for me while I was at engineering school. She did, for less than the tires and wheels were worth. There was a lesson there somewhere.

Firefly
04-24-19, 19:19
I want a Judge GTO so bad.

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2014/11/IMG_1923.jpg

Artos
04-24-19, 20:20
Mine is the hen's tooth 69 Camaro ZL1 COPO with the L88...drool.

I want a Judge GTO so bad.

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2014/11/IMG_1923.jpg

Alex V
04-24-19, 20:51
2017 ZL1...I was going to buy a 350R before I found out about the launch of this 50th Anniversary Camaro. Struggled between the standard & auto but couldn't pass up the technology of this new A10. Not sure what Ford is going to bring with the GT500 but will probably be 6 figures with retarded ADM most ALL Ford dealers stick to their fan boys. Best I could do on a 350R was $5k over sticker. My Chevy guy only had 2 allocations for the ZL1 & got $3k off. For a FAST car in the 60k-70k range you simply cannot touch the ZL1 or the even more track inspired ZL1 1LE. GM just put the A10 in the 1LE but has yet to run a formal hero run at the Ring'...best estimates it will beat the 2018 standard tranny by 10 seconds!!

2017 A10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmLnLJLQ0o

2018 ZL1 1LE M6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw&t=4s

You can gauge your preferred car here...just keep the $$$$ in mind.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

My goal is to pick up a black ZL1 1LE manual in a couple of years.

Adrenaline_6
04-24-19, 20:55
Owned an 85 Monte Carlo SS. Modded it with a built small block 400 and TH350 trans with a 10" stall converter and a drop in Currie Enterprises Ford 9" rear end with steel axles and Detroit Locker. Fun car.

I then moved to a '69 Z-28 RS. It did not have the original engine DZ 302 and the rear fenders were flared, but I put an even more modded 400 small block in it with a TH400 and 10" stall. Very fun car and a beautiful machine.

The funny thing was, it had an option in the rear trunk called a "Liquid Tire Chain" it was an aerosol can that went into a canister mounted above each rear wheel well. There were nozzles facing the rear tires in each of the fenderwells. When a switch was pulled, vacuum was applied to the cap of the canister that locked the aerosol can in and a pin pushed the aerosol can onto a puncture pin which punctured the aerosol can letting the aerosol contents spray onto the rear tires. There even was an AC Delco part number for the aerosol can on a sticker on the canister cap. I just found out this past year that this option was only put on a little more than a hundred vehicles, much less a '69 Z-28 RS which is estimated to have only 1500 made of those.

Yes, it bothers me that I didn't keep that thing and restore it, but what can you do right?

SilverBullet432
04-24-19, 22:34
Wife and I had a 2017 GT 5.0, Race Red with black wheels. It was a slick car. We traded it in for a BMW X1, ( LOL I know ) That one is still rather fun for a turbo charged 4 cylinder with sport mode haha... Wanting to trade it in for the Twin turbo V8 X5 later on....

JediGuy
04-24-19, 23:15
Pictures are needed. This is from, well, seven years ago, before I turned everything black. I remember when the paint looked that good...

https://i.imgur.com/51nwjlf.jpg

Artos
04-25-19, 16:45
My goal is to pick up a black ZL1 1LE manual in a couple of years.

Just a warning, the Suspension is really rough with the racing dssv shocks on the 1LE package & the only real complaint you hear from this car is it's tough around town (the mag ride in the regular is outstanding being able to adjust from tour / sport / track)...most guys are saving the factory rubber & replacing them with a more street version friendly. I'll be lucky to get 10k miles off the regular ZL1 Supercar F3's & the 1LE has full R compound so expect half that.

If I lived closer & was a track rat, the 1LE would be my choice. Bucket list is to get up to Austin @ COTA & get an instructor.

1LE getting some air...57006

AndyLate
04-25-19, 17:00
I thought (think) the new GTO was a great concept.

Alex V
04-25-19, 18:48
Just a warning, the Suspension is really rough with the racing dssv shocks on the 1LE package & the only real complaint you hear from this car is it's tough around town (the mag ride in the regular is outstanding being able to adjust from tour / sport / track)...most guys are saving the factory rubber & replacing them with a more street version friendly. I'll be lucky to get 10k miles off the regular ZL1 Supercar F3's & the 1LE has full R compound so expect half that.

If I lived closer & was a track rat, the 1LE would be my choice. Bucket list is to get up to Austin @ COTA & get an instructor.

1LE getting some air...57006

Not a problem. Every suspension component on my TA is solid end links. No rubber or poly bushings to be found. I'm used to it.

Artos
04-25-19, 19:26
Not a problem. Every suspension component on my TA is solid end links. No rubber or poly bushings to be found. I'm used to it.

Just ordered / received this:

http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1635

Not certain but thinking I'll go ahead & get the upper/lower & control arms as well...the 1LE doesn't suffer as it has a more solid bushings set up, but the regular is a freak'n squirrel on hard acceleration at any speed. Jannetty Racing has a pretty slick HP upgrade I'll look at after the warranty is out. Gives you about another 100-150 ponies & meant to keep the focus of the car for the road course without causing the heat soak issues.

Man, those 1/4 mile mile guys go nuts on HP mods.

Alex V
04-25-19, 19:34
Just ordered / received this:

http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1635

Not certain but thinking I'll go ahead & get the upper/lower & control arms as well...the 1LE doesn't suffer as it has a more solid bushings set up, but the regular is a freak'n squirrel on hard acceleration at any speed. Jannetty Racing has a pretty slick HP upgrade I'll look at after the warranty is out. Gives you about another 100-150 ponies & meant to keep the focus of the car for the road course without causing the heat soak issues.

Man, those 1/4 mile mile guys go nuts on HP mods.

My car was like 14 months old when it had Head/Cam/Headers/Exhaust. Now the only thing that is original is the body and parts of the interior lol.

The ZL1 is supercharged dude... smaller pulley and there you go!

JediGuy
04-25-19, 20:31
Do you notice heat soak with the supercharger? I’ve held of putting forced induction on the Mustang, as it seems like it’s generally not recommended for an HPDE type car.

Artos
04-25-19, 21:08
My car was like 14 months old when it had Head/Cam/Headers/Exhaust. Now the only thing that is original is the body and parts of the interior lol.

The ZL1 is supercharged dude... smaller pulley and there you go!

I'm learning but everything tells me a smaller pulley is going to cause heat soak for this small Eaton blower...my long term goal is to get around another 100hp but keep the car to where it can handle a hard hot texas weekend at the road course. Acceleration is fun, but it's the twisty's that turn me on. Trying to balance added HP, improved handling & track longevity.

Again, still trying to learn all this & do it right out of the gates & I'm just now Starting with the handling, but This is sorta where I'm leaning for my long term application & what I want out of a sports car:

https://www.facebook.com/jannettyracing/videos/2293509837556174/

https://jannettyracing.com/collections/performance-packages-2017-2018-camaro-zl1/products/jre-125-rwhp-flex-fuel-kit-2017-2019-camaro-zl1

Artos
04-25-19, 21:20
Do you notice heat soak with the supercharger? I’ve held of putting forced induction on the Mustang, as it seems like it’s generally not recommended for an HPDE type car.

The current vette Z06 has the same LT4 engine as the Camaro ZL1, but the vette suffers from heat soak at the track...in fact I think there is a class action lawsuit over the issue. The ZL1 has 11 heat exchangers & a huge frontal facia to overcome this.

If you are going to add a blower & plan to run the car hard, I would look into some proven sort of added cooling. The LT1 is pretty much the same engine as the LT4 minus the blower & from what I understand is SS owners suffer heat soak from just adding the SC. FWIW.

Averageman
04-26-19, 07:38
2016 mustang GT with the performance pack.6spd with the torsion diff and 3.73:1

Is a good little track car I would assumehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/3abf3b9f9b081b56a1f2fd88cd767d4a.jpg

I’ve got a canned tune and on street tires and a stick it’s turned a 13.2 @ 111mph.

Main issue is getting a better 60ft than 2.4/2.3. That car with the A10 is running 12.8’s

My daily driver

I had one very similar, the downside was in the rain and on a crowded highway it could get really squirrely.
I had to pick up my Son at 3 am in Austin one morning in a rain storm, it got really interesting on the way there.
Great car, I loved it like a baby, but damn that was a hell of a drive that night.

dwhitehorne
04-26-19, 09:27
You guys are to high end for me. I can’t afford a Corvette. I’ve still got my 69 Chevelle Super Sport I bought a few years after high school 30 years ago. A rust bucket in the weeds that I towed home with a rope but it had a big block. I cleaned it up and put a 427 in the early 90’s. I take it out every month or so. When I was 20 a big block with a 4 speed and 3 inch exhaust was cool. Now at 50 and no AC I’m thinking why did I put a black interior in this thing. The best thing about driving with the crazy traffic in northern VA is I can row through the gears chirping the tires and be running along in a pack of mini vans. David

JC5188
04-26-19, 13:23
I had one very similar, the downside was in the rain and on a crowded highway it could get really squirrely.
I had to pick up my Son at 3 am in Austin one morning in a rain storm, it got really interesting on the way there.
Great car, I loved it like a baby, but damn that was a hell of a drive that night.

Yeah the torque comes on suddenly in the upper RPM range, which makes it squirrelly on wet pavement. I mean,it goes from what feels like zero torque to ALL of it around 4500 or so.

My previous car was a challenger, which had a very linear torque curve in comparison. The mustang on wet roads def took some getting used to after several years of the chally.

glocktogo
04-26-19, 15:18
I've had several "fast" cars in my life, in the following order

1966 Mustang GT notchback (heavily modified and very fast for the era).
1978 Trans Am 6.6 (stock and not really all that fast)
1996 Mustang GT convertible (stock and not really all that fast)
2003 WRX (stock, very quick, moderately fast and VERY good in the turns).
2002 C5 Vette convertible (moderately modified, quick, very fast and WAY too hot for Oklahoma summers dressed in triple black)
2008 GS460 (stock, quick, very fast and deceptively so)

The only ones I wish I still had are the 66 GT and the WRX. They were peak "fun factor" of all the above.

Right now I'm in a slump. My daily is a 2018 Colorado ZR2. It's not slow and it's surprisingly good in the corners, but it's no fast car. The wife's IS300 looks fast, but isn't. I'll eventually get another speed merchant, but I'm not sure what it will be. Right now I like the looks of the Mustang GT Premium with PP1, and the Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody.

I still covet a 2014 C7 Vette coupe with the Z51 and 3LT packages (plus active exhaust) in Lime Rock green with Kalahari interior. I don’t really want such a low slung car again, but damn that is one sexy beast!

Ron3
04-26-19, 15:46
OP, I assume your going to track the car? If not the GT brakes are fine for street use. No need for brake ducts, etc.

The factory springs and dampers definitely needed replacing. Those cars were so soft they'd even get "floaty" on some roads.

The last time Iooked at S197's built after 2010 i was surprised how high they were. (Ex. 2012 5.0 w/50k miles and they want $24k for it. Can get a 2018 w/10k miles for under $30k.)

JediGuy
04-26-19, 18:21
My plan is to track. And frankly, in the right places, my brakes do start to heat up and noticeably degrade in stopping power. This happened mostly in my “still single” days, but... I also used to go to an abandoned 1/2 mile drag strip near my house and run the car over and over. Planning to head over tomorrow and see if that is still possible.
Eibach Prokit springs were installed when I purchased, and just installed Koni Str.t shocks and struts last year. I may wish I had gone with nicer Konis, but it’s a balance.

If you know Mustangs, did you ever look at the early S197 components made by Agent 47? Just nabbed one of their shifter arms on eBay; been looking for that for the better part of a decade. Also have their lower grill cover with the brake duct openings.

Ron3
04-29-19, 15:55
My plan is to track. And frankly, in the right places, my brakes do start to heat up and noticeably degrade in stopping power. This happened mostly in my “still single” days, but... I also used to go to an abandoned 1/2 mile drag strip near my house and run the car over and over. Planning to head over tomorrow and see if that is still possible.
Eibach Prokit springs were installed when I purchased, and just installed Koni Str.t shocks and struts last year. I may wish I had gone with nicer Konis, but it’s a balance.

If you know Mustangs, did you ever look at the early S197 components made by Agent 47? Just nabbed one of their shifter arms on eBay; been looking for that for the better part of a decade. Also have their lower grill cover with the brake duct openings.

It's hard to go back to a solid rear axle on the rough, high-speed roads I commute on. Probably going with a Camaro.

Yes, I do remember Agent 47. Hadn't thought about him in a long time. If the used Mustangs and Camaro's were less expensive I'd get one and enjoy modding it. But for what people want for them, I'm shopping new.

1_click_off
04-29-19, 21:55
95 Stang
347 stroker (actually a 342 because it hasn’t been punched out)
Forged everything
11.73:1 compression
AFR 185 heads
Comp solid roller .633” can
Comp magnum Roller Rockers
Comp pushrods
Edelbrock gear drive timing
Main girdle
Valley girdle
Edelbrock RPM intake
Think 30lbs injectors
75mm throttle body
MSD6AL
MSD distributor
MSD coil
Bell x-proof bell housing
Tremec TKO 5spd
RAM clutch
3.73 gears
MAC long tubes Jet-Hot coated
Dr.Gas 3” to 2-1/2” X pipe
Dynomax Race magnums
And a NOS big shot.

Cervini 3-1/2 cowl hood.

When it is clean it looks like you can stick your finger down in the paint. (Black)

I just replaced the Nitto drag radials I put on it in 2001 last summer and they were at 50% wear. Just don’t have time to mess with it.

Wife had to have a 350z in 2003 when they hit the market. It was fun, but priorities shifted and wanted to buy a house and have some franks with my beans.

Before that, I had a 66 stang with a 302 block and 289 k code heads. The car was already cut up from the previous owner so I did not keep it stock. Ripped out the automatic and put a world class T-5 in it. Power-trax locker rear end. Then the normal stuff... edelbrock intake, 600 double pumper, duel pattern cam, 3.80 gears. Car was a fun until a guy in a Ford Fiesta ran a red light and I almost T-boned him. Hit him just behind the front tire. Glad we hit where we did as his wife and kids were with him. This is where I learned a very valuable lesson. KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS! insurance wanted to give me $1,300. I got a fair market value of $7,800 out of it. Still really low, but my book a receipts sure helped.

Had a stint of street bikes, but never really turned wrenches on those.

Honu
05-01-19, 00:44
friend of mine just ordered a 600LT spider
getting rid of the r8 said they had so many problems with it

poverty sucks :) hahahahahaha

he did talk about getting a maxed out modern muscle car but the McClaren are kinda in a class of their own

have to say never been a US muscle car guy but some of the latest ones are really nice these days