PDA

View Full Version : Police / Military issue of S&W 2.0 pistols?

Ron3
04-24-19, 10:12
Just curious.

Dionysus
04-28-19, 14:38
We just received 1300 last week. Will be transitioning from current M&P 9mm to 2.0 as soon as the new Safariland holsters arrive.

Ron3
04-28-19, 21:42
Cool. It seems that despite the flaws of the M&P 1.0 they were pretty active in LE.

Seems like those still using them would upgrade to the 2.0. Unless they already went from the 1.0's to Glocks or Sigs or HK's and they aren't ready for new guns and holsters yet.

NWPilgrim
04-28-19, 22:39
I was wondering how the M&P line is holding up in law enforcement use. I only have a Shield 9mm from than family, but it has been very reliable, decent trigger and I really like the grip design. For some reason it is easier to shoot well than most of my Glocks. I would like to get my hands on a double stack M&P to see how shoots. I am heavily invested in .40 Glocks but if so was starting fresh I would give the M&P line serious consideration based on my experience of one.

mark5pt56
04-29-19, 06:42
Out of the 7 city area where I used to live with 14 agencies, one had the MP. Direct result of the good ole boy network alive and well within it. Guess what all others have?

L-2
04-29-19, 18:02
California Highway Patrol with over 7,500 sworn use the M&P 40, and just transitioned in 2017 from the older 4006 version(s).

I no longer have any contacts with CHP, but I don't see CHP changing to the 2.0 with that many non-2.0 versions just recently fielded.

RWH24
04-29-19, 18:37
A female LEO I followed on IG carried a M&P9 1.0 as issued duty weapon. She worked for a California County Sheriffs Office.

NWPilgrim
04-29-19, 19:02
Wow, they really got their money's worth out of those 4006s! That must have been about 30 years with that model?!

I hope the M&P does well over the long haul. I like the ergonomics a lot and it would be nice to see a US manufacturer with a competitive model line for LE. After I bought my Shield I read tons of horror stories about failures and bad triggers. But mine (within first year of release) has been nice smooth trigger and totally reliable with FMJ, GD and PDX ammo. Nothing has broken yet. I would carry it more but it is a single stack and the butt is no shorter than my G27. So I end up carrying either the G27 or G42 most of the time.

OK, one thing I do NOT like about the Shield is the doofy spacer sliding around on the 8-rd mag. I've had them jam up and not be able to get a mag seated at the range without stopping to diddle with it. So I only carry the 7-rd mag in a pocket. As much as I like the M&P it just isn't enough to shit can my Glocks and switch over. Unless they come out with RDS mount support on a wider range of model sizes than Glock. RDS is my next level of investment with pistols and Glock is barely there with MRO on just the larger models. S&W should bring out RDS ready versions of their entire line, that would give them a big advantage. Th RDS is going to ride about where the belt is is just above it in IWB carry so it will not really add to the print signature. The length of the butt and secondarily the grip width are the most significant factors. Many of us with aging eyes would happily pay for RDS capability on a compact or subcompact frame pistol.

RWH24
04-29-19, 19:14
Wow, they really got their money's worth out of those 4006s! That must have been about 30 years with that model?!

I hope the M&P does well over the long haul. I like the ergonomics a lot and it would be nice to see a US manufacturer with a competitive model line for LE. After I bought my Shield I read tons of horror stories about failures and bad triggers. But mine (within first year of release) has been nice smooth trigger and totally reliable with FMJ, GD and PDX ammo. Nothing has broken yet. I would carry it more but it is a single stack and the butt is no shorter than my G27. So I end up carrying either the G27 or G42 most of the time.

OK, one thing I do NOT like about the Shield is the doofy spacer sliding around on the 8-rd mag. I've had them jam up and not be able to get a mag seated at the range without stopping to diddle with it. So I only carry the 7-rd mag in a pocket. As much as I like the M&P it just isn't enough to shit can my Glocks and switch over. Unless they come out with RDS mount support on a wider range of model sizes than Glock. RDS is my next level of investment with pistols and Glock is barely there with MRO on just the larger models. S&W should bring out RDS ready versions of their entire line, that would give them a big advantage. Th RDS is going to ride about where the belt is is just above it in IWB carry so it will not really add to the print signature. The length of the butt and secondarily the grip width are the most significant factors. Many of us with aging eyes would happily pay for RDS capability on a compact or subcompact frame pistol.

Shield 8 +1 with pinkie lip and TT 10+1

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/414203358.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/414203357.jpg

Arik
04-29-19, 19:24

OK, one thing I do NOT like about the Shield is the doofy spacer sliding around on the 8-rd mag. I've had them jam up and not be able to get a mag seated at the range without stopping to diddle with it. So I only carry the 7-rd mag in a pocket. As much as I like the M&P it just isn't enough to shit can my Glocks and switch over. Unless they come out with RDS mount support on a wider range of model sizes than Glock. RDS is my next level of investment with pistols and Glock is barely there with MRO on just the larger models. S&W should bring out RDS ready versions of their entire line, that would give them a big advantage. Th RDS is going to ride about where the belt is is just above it in IWB carry so it will not really add to the print signature. The length of the butt and secondarily the grip width are the most significant factors. Many of us with aging eyes would happily pay for RDS capability on a compact or subcompact frame pistol.Those 4006 tsw were specially made for CHP with their own S#. Typical tsw had a rail added to the bottom, the CHP tsw had it as a one piece machined frame

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190430/a93a1a4299cd60e178093f66b72d5641.jpg

NWPilgrim
04-29-19, 21:17
Whoa, that looks way nicer than a std 3Gen Smith. I was just getting into pistols when the 3Gens were hot and was about to get a 9mm when the Glocks and .40 came along. I got the G21 when it came out and then G23s thereafter. Great to see a really nice 4006 as the CHP specced. Someone put some thought into that.

Arik
04-29-19, 21:23
Whoa, that looks way nicer than a std 3Gen Smith. I was just getting into pistols when the 3Gens were hot and was about to get a 9mm when the Glocks and .40 came along. I got the G21 when it came out and then G23s thereafter. Great to see a really nice 4006 as the CHP specced. Someone put some thought into that.They were available for sale a few years ago when CHP dumped them on the civilian market......as unbelievable as that may sound. I got out of 40 but if came across one of these I may have to keep one 40

bobbytucson
04-29-19, 22:43
Tucson police dept just authorized the 2.0 for duty now for all academy graduates moving forward, so all peace officers can choose between the glock 17 or m&p 9 2.0, they seem to like em. I am also allowed to use one for duty with the Arizona Rangers, as i am allowed to qual with 2 pistols for primary and backup. I currently carry p320 full size, but that may change because i really like the m&p compact 2.0 3.6'', so since thats my backup, i mind as well qual with the 2.0 full size since the mags are interchangeable. the 2.0 is such a better pistol all around compared to the 1.0

L-2
04-30-19, 12:16
To add to my post#6 and possibly adding to post#7 Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department transitioned to the M&P 9mm in 2013.
For some info, there are 58 counties in California which all have their own Sheriff's departments/offices. I only know of a very few of these departments as to what they're issuing and I suspect some of these departments may allow personally-owned handguns differing by brand & model from what is issued.

As the M&P 2.0 series was introduced in ~2017, many departments won't be considering a new issued handgun for ~10-15 years, from when their present choice was made, and when it'll become time to consider replacing a current batch/inventory of handguns.