PDA

View Full Version : My worst build result ever...

ramairthree
04-25-19, 16:56
Well, I love the AR. I also love the AK for what it is.
I have been less than in love with 7.62x39 ARs, and not entirely happy with the result of 300BO ARs.
The closest I have come to loving a hybrid, for lack of a better word, is a SIG556R.

I decided to try a mutant type gun.

I ordered this.
https://oi649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/E78B4C72-92E6-474E-A2BD-36EF32EBE424_zps8m5d5mdi.jpeg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/E78B4C72-92E6-474E-A2BD-36EF32EBE424_zps8m5d5mdi.jpeg.html)

And this.

https://oi649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/F2044389-D54D-4BC0-8E06-B516054AB322_zpsbo76xy22.jpeg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/F2044389-D54D-4BC0-8E06-B516054AB322_zpsbo76xy22.jpeg.html)

When they came, I put them together (not really a build, but work with me), threw on some cheap BUIS and a fastfire.

Then experienced complete, and partial FTextract. Failures to eject. fTF.
I tired seven different versions of Wolf, Tula, Red Army, etc. ammo.

I used my beloved no rib Chinese mags. Ribbed and non ribbed European mags. Tapco. A drum. Two generations of Magpul mags. These mags, even the tapcos, all work in a mak90, OPAP, couple of NPAPs, a SAR, and even an SKS-M that takes AK mags. And the 556R.

Out of 140 rounds I got five in a row once from a second gen Magpul mag. Three in a row twice from a Chinese mag. The rest was singles and some doubles as I did mag and ammo combos.

More lube, clean and lube, inspect, more lube, inspect-
I can’t find anything specific wrong. So, my contact to customer service has gone in.

If it was functioning great I would say it needs a BHO/BR and a left side charging handle, and that I love the AR grip/selector ergonomics and the large paddle release Vs the typical AK paddle release.

My plans to rub noses of my 300AAC loving buddies, and 7.62x39 AR mag guns buddies, who love rubbing my nose in 5.45x39 ARs, is all coming off the tracks.

04-25-19, 17:12
Thats too bad. I was actually looking at one of these as an alternative to CMMG as way to have fun with my rather large stockpile of 7.62x39.

ramairthree
04-25-19, 17:32
Yeah. AK is second only to ARs for me.
I have a MAK90 I got over 25 years ago and have since deneutered.
A Draco based SBR, a PAP based SBR,
An underfolder PAP,
Synthetic stocked PAP,
An OPAP. That and the MAK are my favorite. The thick receiver stamped guns are even better than milled in my opinion.
The OPAP had a little too much bolt/hammer friction at first, my only other AK issues ever.
My PSL, PAK 9, M85 that takes AR mags, SAR all run great. Same with the 556R.

I was in disbelief with this KS47.
All those AKs in different calibers running various AK
47 mags, various AK74 mags, Glock mags, Beretta mags, AR mags like nothing.

And ARs in multiple calibers as well.

Seemed like a match made in heaven, and the reviews were promising.

RetroRevolver77
04-25-19, 23:29
So you should have bought this instead;

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/wbp-fox-ak47-rifle-black

ramairthree
04-26-19, 01:46
The goal was an AK mag rifle with better paddle release and better selector ergonomics,
With AR instead of AK mounting options for optics.

The 556R ergs with the grip and selector are not as good as the AR. And the company that made the grips to make it better no longer make them.

I was not in the market for another AK.

Nowski87
04-26-19, 10:09
Be prepared to wait on PSA too, they are not the fastest on getting back to people. I'm in the process of sending back a out of spec lower, when they say 3-5 days for something plan on it being closer to 5-7 days.

RetroRevolver77
04-26-19, 18:18
The goal was an AK mag rifle with better paddle release and better selector ergonomics,
With AR instead of AK mounting options for optics.

The 556R ergs with the grip and selector are not as good as the AR. And the company that made the grips to make it better no longer make them.

I was not in the market for another AK.

You chose ergonomics over reliability and in that learned a valuable lesson.

Bret
04-29-19, 15:28
I hope they take care of you. They hosed me on a PSA-10 build (snap the two halves together) build, so I stopped buying from them. If you’re not stuck on using AK mags, I’ve had great results with regular lowers and RZE Unimags for 7.62x39.

everready73
05-03-19, 20:26
Contact them via their industry subforum on TOS if you have any issues getting this resolved. Josiah is the rep and he will take care of it from what I have seen. If you call and can't get anywhere ask for his email or number

Pappabear
05-03-19, 22:14
Is PSA a good second tier option? I honestly dont know, just asking. I think when you by from these companies, brace for impact...

Honestly, good luck with your build, I dont know shit about PSA, was just curious about their rep from those that do.

PB

ramairthree
05-06-19, 15:42
You chose ergonomics over reliability and in that learned a valuable lesson.

I did not choose ergonomics over reliability.

I choose to try some familiar things in unfamiliar combination expecting reliability.

ramairthree
05-06-19, 15:43
I heard back wishing 24 hours of an email.
Had my shipping label, etc. within a few days.

We shall see what ensues.

1911-A1
05-10-19, 11:21
Buying parts from PSA should legally be considered gambling.

ramairthree
05-22-19, 19:17
So, I got my forms, mailing label, sent it back,
And it has been returned and it arrived today.

No explanation in the box what was done, what the issue was.

I was expecting some info.

Will go to the range and see what happens.

Bret
05-22-19, 21:08
So, I got my forms, mailing label, sent it back,
And it has been returned and it arrived today.

No explanation in the box what was done, what the issue was.

I was expecting some info.
They did the exact same thing to me. Gun manufacturers understandably want you to write a detailed explanation regarding what's wrong with the performance of your gun. The crappy ones like PSA and Arsenal don't return the favor by giving you a clue about what they did, if anything, to fix your gun. I hope your gun works. If not, call them and you'll get a bunch of crap about how it meets PSA's quality standards. Apparently there are milspec standards, industry standards, and then there are PSA standards.

ramairthree
05-23-19, 16:27
They did something.
No failures to extract or eject.

I used multiple samples two generations of Magpul mags, Chinese smooth back mags, ridged European mags, Yafo BHO follower mags, smooth euro mags, etc.

I still have failures to feed.
The 40 round euro ridged mags will not feed. About one in three of the 30 round euro mags will not feed. One euro mag falls out after the last round is stripped.

So, all my Chinese mags, Magpul mags, are 100%.
Some of my euro mags are 100%.

Gun with some of the mags.

https://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/6BCC5C2E-E8C3-47D5-92D5-F0979B7D2634_zps9fpgj64g.jpeg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/6BCC5C2E-E8C3-47D5-92D5-F0979B7D2634_zps9fpgj64g.jpeg.html)

Of note,
These mags all run 100% in a Mak90, SAR, couple of NPAPS, an OPAP, an SKS-M, and a SIG556R.
TAPCO mags fit in some or all of the guns at random. Surprising they are reliable, until they get too much tab wear. They seem softer than the Magpuls. Tapco mags do not fit the PSA fun out of the box.

Comparing mags, looking through about six dozen various AK mags, there seems to be a ten or more degree range feed angle. The AK, SKS, and SIG based platforms all prove tolerant of this.

This PSA AR47 likes the magazines with the tip of the bullets pointing up the most. It proves sensitive to the normal range of AK mags with the tips of the bullets closer to parallel. Something about its design makes it more sensitive/less tolerant of the normal variance of feed angles in AK magazines than other designs using AK magazines.

This was for me an experience in trying a new design.
There are a few other AK magazine fed AR models out there, and of course either 7.62 AR mag versions, SIGs, AKs, etc.

If you love 7.62 x 39 and AK mags, there are cons to all of your options.

This option I guess will work for you if you are going to test and dedicate specific mags for it, but sucks to just be one of thenstable you planned to use any of your mags on.

Wolf11B
05-25-19, 14:39
Buying parts from PSA should legally be considered gambling.

Always rolling the dice with PSA that is for sure