PDA

View Full Version : "Alien" 40th anniversary

Slater
04-26-19, 22:37
Hard to believe that the original "Alien" movie is 40 years old this year. I saw it in the theater in 1979 and it blew me (and the rest of the audience) away. It spawned rip-offs that continue to this day, and the original movie holds up reasonably well even nowadays.

Has the franchise run it's course or can it continue on for a while?

Co-gnARR
04-26-19, 23:44
Ridley Scott has certainly made it clear he wants to continue the franchise past what he’s already done, basically skippinng over anything after Aliens. He rebooted the story with Prometheus as the origins prequel to Alien, and brought fans right up to the point before Aliens with Covenant. Not sure what’s in the pipeline now, but I recall something about another few movies are planned. Thing is, Ridley is not a young man, and he has other projects to work on, so there’s no telling if we will see his ultimate vision for the franchise come to fruition.

SteyrAUG
04-27-19, 00:23
Hard to believe that the original "Alien" movie is 40 years old this year. I saw it in the theater in 1979 and it blew me (and the rest of the audience) away. It spawned rip-offs that continue to this day, and the original movie holds up reasonably well even nowadays.

Has the franchise run it's course or can it continue on for a while?

One of the few movies that actually scared my father.

Honestly the franchise died with Alien 3. Everything after that was crap.

Alien was a more "science than sci fi" film of what might an encounter with an alien species actually look like?

Aliens just took the same concept and expanded it more for those who couldn't fully understand the first film.

Then it just got stupid. Like "The Terminator" there are basically two films, the first two, and in both cases the sequel is probably superior and then the idea was forever destroyed.

And even 40 years later, I'm hard pressed to think of a single film in the genre that is superior. I liked The Arrival, but even that one doesn't come close.

ramairthree
04-27-19, 02:15
Alien is the virgin mother that bore Aliens.

Terminator, Aliens, and Predator are the holy triad of film.

With some sects arguing Commando, Terminator, and Predator as the holy triad,
With the apostles Alien, Aliens, Die Hard, and Lethal Weapon as some of the apostles.

Damn I miss 80s films.

just a scout
04-27-19, 06:23
Ahhhh, Die Hard. My favorite Christmas movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arik
04-27-19, 06:39
Die Hard is technically the sequel to Commando

docsherm
04-27-19, 08:22

Alien was a more "science than sci fi" film of what might an encounter with an alien species actually look like?

Aliens just took the same concept and expanded it more for those who couldn't fully understand the first film.

Then it just got stupid. Like "The Terminator" there are basically two films, the first two, and in both cases the sequel is probably superior and then the idea was forever destroyed.

And even 40 years later, I'm hard pressed to think of a single film in the genre that is superior. I liked The Arrival, but even that one doesn't come close.

I will slap your face..... ;)

All of the Terminator Movies are awesome..... even the TV show with Cercsei Lannister was good......

Aliens is one of the best movies ever and it is also one of the very few sequels that was better than the original. Scott has done a great job in keeping the story alive.

We do need more Alien vs Predator crossovers. Like a big giant battle on LV 426.......

docsherm
04-27-19, 08:28
Ahhhh, Die Hard. My favorite Christmas movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely nothing but pure FACT in this statement

JoshNC
04-27-19, 08:40

I found the most recent films describing the origins of aliens to be fascinating. I think they are well done, albeit not better than the originals.

Firefly
04-27-19, 10:19
Alien is just a prequel to Aliens
Die Hard really IS the best Christmas movie
And Commando is better than Taken

Jellybean
04-27-19, 11:06
....All of the Terminator Movies are awesome..... even the TV show with Cercsei Lannister was good.......

Bruh. No. That show was all kinds of awful. The ONLY good thing about it was Summer Glau doing a rather effective Terminator/robot-girl act.
I mean come on, they know they can't kill a Termie with 9mm pistols and shotguns, yet they continually carry them anyway...They only managed to kill one with a Barrett once, and then one dumbass was room clearing with a 40mm M79[?]. I remember this VIVIDLY from all those years ago, it pissed me off so bad... :laugh:

docsherm
04-27-19, 11:10
Bruh. No. That show was all kinds of awful. The ONLY good thing about it was Summer Glau doing a rather effective Terminator/robot-girl act.
I mean come on, they know they can't kill a Termie with 9mm pistols and shotguns, yet they continually carry them anyway...They only managed to kill one with a Barrett once, and then one dumbass was room clearing with a 40mm M79[?]. I remember this VIVIDLY from all those years ago, it pissed me off so bad... :laugh:

You just make the list buddy..... :jester:

Det-Sog
04-27-19, 11:29
Yup. I’m old. I saw Alien in the theatre back in 79. Scared the crap out of me. Aliens was as good. Alien 3 sucked ___ and the rest were worse. The prequels were ok.

Terminator and T2 are the same issue. The rest SUCK.

DIE HARD... Awesome. The wife and I watched it this last year ON Christmas.

Commando WAS the original Taken!

Firefly
04-27-19, 11:33
If I had my own terminator girl who looked like River Tam .....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/30/39/f53039188633a90321794a97ccb7ead9.jpg

T3 wasnt sooo bad. It was actually a good time capsule of the early 00s. Salvation had SO MUCH POTENTIAL but was wasted.

Genisys never happened.

SteyrAUG
04-27-19, 13:28
I found the most recent films describing the origins of aliens to be fascinating. I think they are well done, albeit not better than the originals.

Huge problems such as in Prometheus where he seeds the water with his DNA and that results in "humans"? That's not really how science works and similar problems make the film fail.

What made Alien and Aliens so powerful is the used something more than a 6th grade understanding of biology. That the Alien functions something like a wasp was incredible because given the nature of life on a broad spectrum on Earth that is the kind of biology we are most likely to encounter.

SteyrAUG
04-27-19, 13:29

Pretty much.

SteyrAUG
04-27-19, 13:33
You just make the list buddy..... :jester:

Good news, "2 Fast, 2 Furious, Xenomorph Terminator Armageddon San Francisco Drift" will be out this summer. Predators will be joining the Marvel Universe so standby for Predator vs. Iron Man.

MountainRaven
04-27-19, 14:03
Good news, "2 Fast, 2 Furious, Xenomorph Terminator Armageddon San Francisco Drift" will be out this summer. Predators will be joining the Marvel Universe so standby for Predator vs. Iron Man.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/4/47/Archie_vs_Predator_II.jpg

This is an actual comic being run, right now, through November (apparently). And there have been many Judge Dredd and DC (meaning Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, &c.) Aliens/Predator crossovers.

jpmuscle
04-27-19, 14:17
Huge problems such as in Prometheus where he seeds the water with his DNA and that results in "humans"? That's not really how science works and similar problems make the film fail.

What made Alien and Aliens so powerful is the used something more than a 6th grade understanding of biology. That the Alien functions something like a wasp was incredible because given the nature of life on a broad spectrum on Earth that is the kind of biology we are most likely to encounter.

I while back I got so f’ing lost going down the hole of fan analysis for Prometheus. Like holy shit it’s either the most abhorrent story line ever or it’s total brilliance in its plasticity.

But I’m thinking it’s a bomb that had potential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyusmaximus
04-27-19, 15:46
Aliens, and Predators team up to go against the Avengers...

docsherm
04-27-19, 15:48
Aliens, and Predators team up to go against the Avengers...

Or libtards..... ;)

Firefly
04-27-19, 16:05
Or libtards..... ;)

When someone said “alien” she thought they meant ‘illegal alien’ and signed up

docsherm
04-27-19, 16:09

https://giphy.com/gifs/aliens-SQ1AXN2rMAqgU?utm_source=media-link&utm_medium=landing&utm_campaign=Media%20Links&utm_term=https://giphy.com/gifs/aliens-SQ1AXN2rMAqgU

http://thenerdybird.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/AliensVasquez.jpg

flenna
04-27-19, 16:31

:lol::lol:

Slater
04-27-19, 17:51
Xenomorphs vs Democrats?

rero360
04-27-19, 17:56
If I had my own terminator girl who looked like River Tam .....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/30/39/f53039188633a90321794a97ccb7ead9.jpg

T3 wasnt sooo bad. It was actually a good time capsule of the early 00s. Salvation had SO MUCH POTENTIAL but was wasted.

Genisys never happened.

River grew up very nicely!!

docsherm
04-27-19, 18:31
Xenomorphs vs Democrats?

Xenomorphs are more Human....... ;)

Co-gnARR
04-27-19, 21:03
Xenomorphs are more Human....... ;)

You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f*cking each other over for a godd*mn percentage.

docsherm
04-27-19, 21:04
You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f*cking each other over for a godd*mn percentage.

In for the win!!!!!

Doc Safari
04-30-19, 09:12
I will be happy if the aliens and predators eat Rey, Poe, Rose, and whoever else is ruining Star Wars.

glocktogo
04-30-19, 11:10
I while back I got so f’ing lost going down the hole of fan analysis for Prometheus. Like holy shit it’s either the most abhorrent story line ever or it’s total brilliance in its plasticity.

But I’m thinking it’s a bomb that had potential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people forgot (including R.S. himself) that the Alien universe is at it's core, a space slasher horror film series. It's Halloween with the added challenge of space. Still, I enjoyed Prometheus because I got lost in the cast and the scenario. The on location segments shot in Iceland and Scotland make for pretty film and set the tone for "the creators" seeding higher life on other worlds. I didn't get locked into the science failures to the point it ruined the film. People these days are so keyed into detecting flaws, they forget movies are supposed to be enjoyable. I'm sure those flaws irritate scientists just as much as ridiculous gun scenes drive us nuts, but then we're not scientists are we? At least I'm not.

WillBrink
04-30-19, 11:39
I think a lot of people forgot (including R.S. himself) that the Alien universe is at it's core, a space slasher horror film series. It's Halloween with the added challenge of space. Still, I enjoyed Prometheus because I got lost in the cast and the scenario. The on location segments shot in Iceland and Scotland make for pretty film and set the tone for "the creators" seeding higher life on other worlds. I didn't get locked into the science failures to the point it ruined the film. People these days are so keyed into detecting flaws, they forget movies are supposed to be enjoyable. I'm sure those flaws irritate scientists just as much as ridiculous gun scenes drive us nuts, but then we're not scientists are we? At least I'm not.

I have yet to see Prometheus as so few seemed to like it, and after Aliens, I thought what followed was meh, so never bothered with Prometheus. I never heard complaints about the science, but the plot problems and such. As Scott has made some of the all time best movies, I tend to hold him to a very high standard, and felt like nothing good would come from seeing Prometheus. Even a bad Scott movie is always visually compelling.

glocktogo
04-30-19, 14:26
I have yet to see Prometheus as so few seemed to like it, and after Aliens, I thought what followed was meh, so never bothered with Prometheus. I never heard complaints about the science, but the plot problems and such. As Scott has made some of the all time best movies, I tend to hold him to a very high standard, and felt like nothing good would come from seeing Prometheus. Even a bad Scott movie is always visually compelling.

IDK, a vain man who wants to live forever, exploits the gullibility of ideologues for his own benefit. Pragmatic people (both good and bad) stand between them and all suffer as a result.

If nothing else, it made me go watch Lawrence of Arabia, which I'd never seen before. :)