PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill Folding BUIS Rail Length Question

Tomac
11-09-08, 18:59
How much rail space (overall length) does the YH folding front sight (YHM-9627) use when folded?
How much rail space (overall length) does the *base alone* of the YH folding rear sight (YHM-9680) use? TIA!...
Tomac

LettersFromEarth
11-09-08, 20:29
I cant give you the info you seek but...I do not advise the use of the YHM front sight. I put Yankee Hill Machine right up there with with CAA and TAPCO as far as quality AR parts go. I just dont trust their stuff on a fighting gun. You may wish to PM Iraqgunz as he has used/is using YHM sights over in Iraq now. Is this for your STG?

Tomac
11-09-08, 21:27
I cant give you the info you seek but...I do not advise the use of the YHM front sight. I put Yankee Hill Machine right up there with with CAA and TAPCO as far as quality AR parts go. I just dont trust their stuff on a fighting gun. You may wish to PM Iraqgunz as he has used/is using YHM sights over in Iraq now. Is this for your STG?

Thanks for the info on Yankee Hill, this is the first negative info I've heard on them. I was considering them as emergency BUIS only for my STG in case of optic failure (unlikely w/a batteryless optic like the Trijicon RX30 I'm sure, but not impossible) but just can't justify the $250+ for a Troy or similar setup.
Tomac

LettersFromEarth
11-09-08, 22:16
You just got my opinion, friend. Hopefully someone will chime in with a different view. I have had a grand total of one YHM product. While serviceable it was not as refined as some other products on the market that did not cost all that much more. Take for example the front BUIS you inquired about. MAGPUL is about to come out with BOTH a front and rear sight that will cost you maybe a $100.00--give or take--for both. Wait for those to be released. Or spend your cash on a BUIS from Midwest Ind. In my opinion MI is a large improvement over YHM as far as quality and durability--again IMO.

Tomac
11-10-08, 06:33
You just got my opinion, friend. Hopefully someone will chime in with a different view. I have had a grand total of one YHM product. While serviceable it was not as refined as some other products on the market that did not cost all that much more. Take for example the front BUIS you inquired about. MAGPUL is about to come out with BOTH a front and rear sight that will cost you maybe a $100.00--give or take--for both. Wait for those to be released. Or spend your cash on a BUIS from Midwest Ind. In my opinion MI is a large improvement over YHM as far as quality and durability--again IMO.

Thx! I always appreciate user-experience input, in the past it's helped me avoid some expensive mistakes. Yeah, I've been watching/waiting for the MagPul MBUS but the release date keeps getting pushed back with still nothing on the horizon (original release date was "mid 2008"). Sigh...
Tomac

Iraqgunz
11-10-08, 07:37
Ahhhhh.....YHM sights. Well I have some mixed reviews of them. All of our carbines (approx. 500) are equipped with YHM front and rear sights. It was part of a package deal from Bushamster. The sights are made from aluminum and they are the most absolute piece of shit I have ever seen. They are airsoft quality at best. Now I used a set of their iron sights here previously on a rifle and they were fine. I even brought them home and put them on one of my carbines (sentimental value) I suppose. They did however work fine and when I removed and replaced them there were pretty much right on the money.

If you cannot afford other sights out there and they are a deal I say get them. Never rely on any optic (whether it is battery dependent or not) to not fail. Especially a carbine/ fighting type rifle. Just my opinion FWIW.

Tomac
11-10-08, 07:43
If you cannot afford other sights out there and they are a deal I say get them. Never rely on any optic (whether it is battery dependent or not) to not fail. Especially a carbine/ fighting type rifle. Just my opinion FWIW.

I completely agree w/not relying 100% on an optic which is exactly why I want BUIS on the STG (which, unfortunately, do not come w/BUIS of any kind) even though I only have 9" total of rail to play with. I did stumble onto a good deal (which is why I was asking for dimensions in the first place) and may pick them up and try them out "for now" until I can afford better (been spending a lot of money on extra mags & ammo recently) and/or the MagPul PBUS come out and are proven to be decent. Thx!...
Tomac

LettersFromEarth
11-10-08, 09:58
...and may pick them up and try them out "for now" until I can afford better (been spending a lot of money on extra mags & ammo recently) and/or the MagPul PBUS come out and are proven to be decent. Thx!...
Tomac

I still advise you go with the MI units over YHM. If you decide to sell them you will get more of your money back then with the YHM product. Also, you may find that you like the MI's enough to want to keep them. Just a thought.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-10-08, 19:28
"The sights are made from aluminum and they are the most absolute piece of shit I have ever seen." - IraqGunz

Dude, he ain't kiddin'.

I've got the YHM flip-up irons on my Bushmaster "Modular Carbine", and they suck goat ass. They are a total NG.

Let me put it to you this way: I replaced the rear sight with a carry handle, and I'm currently looking for something to replace the broke dick front sight ASAP.

Steer ****ing clear.

I'm thinking about replacing the suck-tastic, "flip up", wobble-city, front sight with a VLTOR gas block frontie, or a ****ing standard AR/M4 Front Sight.

I've currently got a Trijicon TX30 mounted, and I keep the front sight "up" at all times anyway.

**** the flip up. If either of the hard-chargin' badasses above can coax me otherwise, I'm t-t-totally diggin'/goin' with the fixed front sight.

The YHM flip up front sight is bad enough, I replaced the rear sight so fast, heads should spin.

When either one is engaged in the "up" position, there's enough play in them to make tack driving akin to a day filled riding bare-backed unicorns, and bathing in pixie dust, in short, a fantasy.

LFE/IG: Do either of you guys have a recommendation for an AR-14/M4 type "standard" sight and/or a place to find one on-line?

Tomac
11-10-08, 19:44
Okay, okay, I get it, I get it! Ordered the MI sights tonight, will dump the YH when they arrive. Happy now?... ;)
Tomac

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-10-08, 19:54
No. Now I'm just jealous that I'm stuck with these pieces of shit until I figure out what I'm going to do.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-10-08, 20:08
**** a duck!

It's looking like I'm stuck with the broke dick YHM front sight, since it looks like it's set up for my goddamned barrel.

IraqGunz: I can only assume you've got the Modular Carbine as well. Do you know of anything I could use to replace the jacked up piece of shit that we're referring to?

LettersFromEarth
11-10-08, 21:40
Okay, okay, I get it, I get it! Ordered the MI sights tonight, will dump the YH when they arrive. Happy now?... ;)
Tomac

Let this be a reminder, Pal. If you EVER post any more pix of your STG Im going to help talk you into ANOTHER spending spree!:D

LettersFromEarth
11-10-08, 21:42
"The sights are made from aluminum and they are the most absolute piece of shit I have ever seen." - IraqGunz

Dude, he ain't kiddin'.

I've got the YHM flip-up irons on my Bushmaster "Modular Carbine", and they suck goat ass. They are a total NG.

Let me put it to you this way: I replaced the rear sight with a carry handle, and I'm currently looking for something to replace the broke dick front sight ASAP.

Steer ****ing clear.

I'm thinking about replacing the suck-tastic, "flip up", wobble-city, front sight with a VLTOR gas block frontie, or a ****ing standard AR/M4 Front Sight.

I've currently got a Trijicon TX30 mounted, and I keep the front sight "up" at all times anyway.

**** the flip up. If either of the hard-chargin' badasses above can coax me otherwise, I'm t-t-totally diggin'/goin' with the fixed front sight.

The YHM flip up front sight is bad enough, I replaced the rear sight so fast, heads should spin.

When either one is engaged in the "up" position, there's enough play in them to make tack driving akin to a day filled riding bare-backed unicorns, and bathing in pixie dust, in short, a fantasy.

LFE/IG: Do either of you guys have a recommendation for an AR-14/M4 type "standard" sight and/or a place to find one on-line?

Go with the LMT, man. Another Georgia company IIRC. ;)

Iraqgunz
11-11-08, 06:12
One option that I tried was purchasing YHM STEEL rail mounted front sights and putting them in the most forward address on the rail. That in turn reduces your sight radius from 13.5" to approx. 12". I have gone out and fired at silhouettes 100 yds. away and I had no issue hitting it. YMMV

**** a duck!

It's looking like I'm stuck with the broke dick YHM front sight, since it looks like it's set up for my goddamned barrel.

IraqGunz: I can only assume you've got the Modular Carbine as well. Do you know of anything I could use to replace the jacked up piece of shit that we're referring to?

Tomac
11-11-08, 09:44
Can anyone tell me how long the MI FFR is when folded down? Thx!...
Tomac

Tomac
11-13-08, 20:45
Okay, got the MI folding BUIS today and immediately installed them on my STG's. Unfortunately I ran into a slight snag, turns out I don't have enough rail for both optic and BUIS! The only workable solution I could come up with was to reverse the front sight so it folds to the front instead of the rear (any comments/criticisms/suggestions as to this solution?...)
Anywho, I like the MI BUIS *a lot*! Gives a 1/3 cowitness w/the RX30 reticle and when folded doesn't intrude on the FOV at all. Since these are for emergency use only I'm happy w/the setup, even w/the short (less than 9") sight radius.
Tomac
BUIS folded:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofSTGBUIS001.jpg
BUIS up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofSTGBUIS002.jpg

LettersFromEarth
11-13-08, 21:01
Tomac,

That dosest look half bad ( doesnt look half good either ;) ). My only worry would be running out of adjustment on the front sight given the height over bore and the short sight radius in general. But given that MI products are of good quality and reputation Im sure you wouldnt have trouble finding another use or another owner for them if you were to run into problems.

BTW--DAMN YOU for posting MORE pix! :D

Tomac
11-13-08, 21:07
Tomac,
That dosest look half bad ( doesnt look half good either ;) ). My only worry would be running out of adjustment on the front sight given the height over bore and the short sight radius in general. But given that MI products are of good quality and reputation Im sure you wouldnt have trouble finding another use or another owner for them if you were to run into problems.
BTW--DAMN YOU for posting MORE pix! :D

Thx, I don't think there's an "ideal" BUIS solution for the STG considering the short rail length but I believe this setup will suffice for my needs (short-range emergency use only in case of optic failure) and if I can hit fairly well at 100yds w/these then I'll be happy. However, if someone has a better idea for BUIS for the STG then I'm all ears!
Tomac
ETA: Regarding the pix, neener-neener-neener!;)

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 21:18
Don't fret, lots of guys run those or Troys backwards to make room for their laser designators and other similar items up on the front of their rails.

ETA: It's not half assed by any means and actually it gives you something nice and easy to flick upwards to deploy it :)

LettersFromEarth
11-13-08, 22:06
"MOM, TOMAC's BEING A POOP HEAD AGAIN!!!" :p

...ETA: Regarding the pix, neener-neener-neener!;)

Tomac
11-14-08, 07:32
"MOM, TOMAC's BEING A POOP HEAD AGAIN!!!" :p

You know what's better than an STG-556?...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofRotationofSTGBUIS.jpg
Two of them! (Neener-neener-neener!);)
Tomac

LettersFromEarth
11-14-08, 10:22
Man, thats just wrong. I bet you'd pet a cat backwards too, huh?!?! :) I should have let you go with the Yankee Hills... :D

Tomac
11-15-08, 08:26
I bet you'd pet a cat backwards too, huh?!?! :)

Sure I do. I have a couple of Rhodesian Ridgecats. Like the Rhodesian Ridgeback (awesome dog, btw, also known as the Lion Dog) they have a ridge of fur along their spine that runs opposite the rest of their coat. You have to pet them backwards or you pet against the grain of the fur! ;)
Tomac
Pic of Ridgeback ridges:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ridges.jpg
ETA: Buying & equipping both STG's has tapped me out for awhile, I'd love to have another $10K or so to purchase more guns/ammo with! :(