PDA

View Full Version : CLP Clarification

Jlopez
11-09-08, 19:30
I;m a relatively new shooter, so forgive my ignorance...

I've been reading posts on cleaning (rifles and pistols) and the term CLP comes up a lot. I know that it referes to cleaning, lubrication and protectant, but I'm not clear if it is a product that is the only thing used when cleaning as opposed to using Hoppes9 Solvent to clean out the gunk and then using Hoppes Lube to oil afterwards.

When people use a "CLP" product, do they use it to clean out the carbon/dirt buildup (bore brush, toothbrush, jags, etc...), then after they wipe/Q-tip all the dirt away, they use the same "CLP" product to lube the firearm...???

Products like Breakfree, Weaponshield are some of the rpoducts that have been mentioned.

Thanks for the clarification.

shawnmt6601
11-09-08, 19:50
CLP is made by breakfree. it is supposed to do all 3 but really it is at its best as lube. I spray down the receivers with brake parts cleaner, soak the BCG in mineral spirits or bore solvent, then clean the barrel with butches bore shine or shooters choice. then lube with CLP

skyugo
11-09-08, 19:50
yeah CLP removes carbon...

it's kind of a jack of all trades master of none in my opinion...

i'm more of a hoppes #9/militec guy myself.

shawnmt6601
11-09-08, 19:56
yeah I agree, if it does remove carbon. it takes a long time to do it. I would get a dedicated cleaner if I was you, and save the CLP for lubrication only. After I shoot 500 rounds it would take me 1 gallon and 2 hours to clean to my liking using only CLP

Jlopez
11-09-08, 20:26
for guys that use brake cleaner, is it non-chlorinated and aerosol?

I didn't see any that comes in a spray bottle?

Ring
11-09-08, 20:42
be advised, CLP/breakfree while being a GREAT protectant for rust, it WILL gum up after long periods.

my big .mil spray bottle of it gets all gummy and like honey if i don't clean it off.

spamsammich
11-09-08, 20:43
Always non-chlorinated. You really don't want to work with the other stuff.

Eric
11-09-08, 22:36
CLP is made by breakfree. CLP is a generic term that we often associate with the Breakfree name. However, there are numerous products that are a CLP.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-10-08, 00:25
Clean
Lubricate
Protect

chadbag
11-10-08, 01:33
CLP is a generic term that we often associate with the Breakfree name. However, there are numerous products that are a CLP.

Correct

FP-10 and M-Pro 7 CLP come to mind