PDA

View Full Version : Winter Pistol?

dlrflyer
05-01-19, 08:50
Like most of you, I’m invested in Glocks, but they have one real negative for me, the trigger guard is very small, too small for winter gloves. Is there a favorite out there that can be used without shucking your gloves??

ST911
05-01-19, 10:54
Change gloves, not guns. Several products from high quality outdoor tech gear makers fit HG, SG, rifle trigger guards. I am particularly fond of several Black Diamond variants I've been wearing this year, -20 and up. Buy once, cry once. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/mens-gloves

MountainRaven
05-01-19, 13:56
Most of the guns that have trigger guards large enough to use with lobster mitts and the like are going to be DA/SAs: USPs, HK45 (NOT USPcs, HK45cs, P30s, or P2000s), Beretta 92s, Px4 Storms, SiG P220-series, old Smith DA autos, and Ruger DA autos.

Actually, the P320 might have a large enough trigger guard.

A flat-faced trigger in a Glock might give you enough space, too.

Having said that, I have a pair of Black Diamond gloves and they are shockingly warm, considering how thin they are (I have cheap gloves that are about as thick that don't keep my hands near as warm as my Black Diamonds do).

jsbhike
05-01-19, 14:39
Don't get these.

https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/the-original-insulated-insulated-work-gloves

Material is stiff and I don't think they are as warm as their standard material gloves.

HardToHandle
05-01-19, 21:15
Change gloves, not guns. Several products from high quality outdoor tech gear makers fit HG, SG, rifle trigger guards. I am particularly fond of several Black Diamond variants I've been wearing this year, -20 and up. Buy once, cry once. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/mens-gloves

I roll two different gloves as base layer inside bigger mitts or as aroundtown gloves.

1) OR Storm Track, you don’t always feel the trigger break but pretty close - https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-gloves/mens-stormtracker-sensor-gloves/p/2448810001007

2) Cabelas Kangaroo Shooting gloves, looks like these may have fell to the BassPro lowest common denominator approach, but awesome feel/warm - https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Shooting/Tactical-Gear/Tactical-Clothing-Footwear%7C/pc/104792580/c/104778180/sc/104127480/Cabelas-Kangaroo-Leather-Thinsulate8482-Shooting-Gloves/4217.uts

Mozart
05-02-19, 07:58
Don’t wear gloves. Place your hands inside your jacket pockets if they get cold. If you see a potential threat, take your hands out. Simple

Arik
05-02-19, 08:44
Don’t wear gloves. Place your hands inside your jacket pockets if they get cold. If you see a potential threat, take your hands out. SimpleKinda what I was thinking. It gets cold here but the only time I wear gloves is when shoveling snow. Otherwise, going from car to building and back the gloves are actually a pain in the ass. I just either put hands in pocket or just tolerate it for the min or so it takes to walk

26 Inf
05-02-19, 09:40
I think for activities such as walking the dog, for one example, one would want to wear gloves.

To make a good decision the OP needs to define the temperature range he wants the gloves to suit.

You can go with lighter gloves if you keep the wrist and back of the hand warm, so insulating the lower arm, back of the hand and wrist area is important.

ST911
05-02-19, 10:35
Bare or pocketed hands are not an option in many conditions and circumstances. I understand where that idea comes from and why, but it simply isn't practical sometimes. And there's less/no need for it when acceptable products are available.

jsbhike
05-02-19, 10:36
I think for activities such as walking the dog, for one example, one would want to wear gloves.

To make a good decision the OP needs to define the temperature range he wants the gloves to suit.

You can go with lighter gloves if you keep the wrist and back of the hand warm, so insulating the lower arm, back of the hand and wrist area is important.

Good advice on keeping wrists warm. Snugpak and a few other companies have put thumb loops on cuffs of insulated jackets for that reason. Keeping the torso warm in general can keep extremities warm as well.

In addition to walking the dog, etc. requiring hands out of pockets, cold often goes with ice and hands in pockets may cause some time dependent issues on regaining balance or breaking a fall in addition to non ice footing hazards.

SomeOtherGuy
05-02-19, 13:32
Only use a smooth-faced trigger on the Glock. The OEM G17 trigger is fine, but I have had cold+gloves+serrated G19 trigger cause the inability to fire. Never had this with the G17 with same gloves and similar conditions.

I have had no issues using a G17, P320, or various DA/SA guns with mechanic type gloves on in cold conditions.

MountainRaven
05-02-19, 14:04
Don’t wear gloves. Place your hands inside your jacket pockets if they get cold. If you see a potential threat, take your hands out. Simple

Maybe that works in Virginia.

It doesn't work so well in places that actually get cold.

MUFC
05-02-19, 20:52
Walther PPQ. The trigger guard is large enough for most gloves.

Uni-Vibe
06-14-19, 07:26
Biggest problem in south TX in December is how to conceal that G19 when you're wearing a t shirt and short pants!

ST911
06-14-19, 07:42
I had a hard time choosing my winter shooting gloves. Make sure you have the right level of insulation and coverage, whether you’re skiing at high altitude or simply walking to your car in cold temperatures. you want to make sure that your hands and fingers have the proper coverage and protection, obviously. lightweight gloves are going to offer you the least amount of insulation. I tend to compare gear on sites that I trust as an example huntingfishingplus.com/best-shooting-gloves (http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-shooting-gloves/) offers a good and simple review. Some of the features most common in lightweight gloves are breathability and moisture-wicking properties. There is also an abundance of options with touchscreen capability, meaning that you can use your smartphone or other devices without having to remove your glove and expose your hand and for holding your weapon with ease. You will not be able to feel your gloves.

I would make a distinction between a "shooting glove" and a winter glove that I can use while shooting.

Most of the gloves at the link above are the tacticool type, protective and suitable only for cool-ish temps depending on activity. They are also entry-level/economy gloves, with the associated quality. I have had dozens of the Mechanix and Hatch offerings. They're an easy button, useful, but they are what they are.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-14-19, 16:19
Worlds greatest winter handgun: HK USP45 with DAO conversion

MountainRaven
06-14-19, 20:44
Worlds greatest winter handgun: HK USP45 with LEM conversion

FIFY.

MistWolf
06-15-19, 01:26
Bare or pocketed hands are not an option in many conditions and circumstances. I understand where that idea comes from and why, but it simply isn't practical sometimes. And there's less/no need for it when acceptable products are available.

I've been in conditions so cold that not wearing gloves was dangerous. I'll never forget how much it hurt to thaw out a patch of frozen skin.

joe.a
06-15-19, 11:17
http://www.agencyarms.com/the-agency-frame

Feature 3. This is just one example of a trigger guard bevel service, I'm sure there are other companies offering this serivce. Why change weapons platforms when you can just mod one of more of your glocks to fit your needs?

SomeOtherGuy
06-15-19, 20:39
I've been in conditions so cold that not wearing gloves was dangerous. I'll never forget how much it hurt to thaw out a patch of frozen skin.

You mean there are people who haven't been in such conditions? I'm half serious, sometimes it's hard to forget what a wide range of climates we have just in the US. Here, we have a couple of days annually where a few seconds without gloves is dangerous, and a couple weeks where 30-60 seconds is the limit. Admittedly I'm pretty far north now, but there are probably over 20M people in the midwest living in areas that can get equally cold weather, just less often. And several million Canadians in the prairie provinces where it gets much colder, much longer than here.