PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your suppressor on...tips?

Eurodriver
05-02-19, 10:04
G19 Gen4 w/ RM06
Storm lake barrel
Octane 9HD2 Can

This setup has about 2500 rounds through it.

After doing a strong handed only reload under NV I couldn’t hit my target the other night. 10” Swinger at 40 yards which I was having no issues just the magazine before. I switched to the full size IPSC and was still missing. We called the range cold and went to white Light and discovered my van was almost three full turns loose. I tightened the can and my accuracy came back immediately.

In hindsight, what happened was that when I put the pistol in between my legs to reload (muzzle 45° down behind me. Butt up) the gun spun around. I didn’t think anything of it so I just spun it back up squeezed my legs tighter and reloaded. What must have happened was that the gun spun on a loose suppressor and I loosened it even more spinning it back around. I’m not sure if this makes sense without a visual.

Going forward, I’m going to reholster my gun in order to do strong handed reloads. I’ve avoided it since my holster doesn’t allowed for the quickest reholstering while suppressed. but that doesn’t solve my weak handed issue where it either has to go between my thighs or behind the knee.

In summary, what I really need, is a way to keep the suppressor from coming loose.

What do you guys do?

Pistol
https://i.imgur.com/aC5SADm.jpg

Video of our course of fire. He didn’t reload and wasn’t SH only but you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/wVTNV7PLqoY

ralph
05-02-19, 17:31
You could try a trick I learned to keep the gas cylinder screw from coming loose in my M1 Garand..it's cheap, too Just wrap the threads with a couple of wraps of teflon tape, like you'd use for plumbing, goes on easy, not too difficult to get out of the threads, and is'nt permament..And, it works..

MegademiC
05-02-19, 21:47
My can has a bevel at the end if the booster and I throw an epdm oring on the base of the threads (small gap that the oring fills).
When cinched down, some of the oring gets trimmed off but accuracy/poi is the same it it never came loose since I started that.

I got the orings from lowes plumbing dept, ill edit with exact size in a few minutes.

Edit: for 9mm/ 1/2x28 threads... #6 orings.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1ghmei15oru8x6/Photo%20May%2002%2C%2011%2001%2051%20PM.jpg?raw=1

donlapalma
05-02-19, 21:53
I was planning to do the o rings as well. I was gonna hit up home depot tomorrow.

diving dave
05-03-19, 08:56
Viton O ring. I have an Osprey 45 and it keeps the can nice and snug. Has worked on my FNX and my M&P.

donlapalma
05-03-19, 13:43
I picked up the #6 o rings from Home Depot. Work as advertised. Thank you @megademic!

themonk
05-03-19, 14:53
Tighten the can all the way down, loosen a 1/4 turn and flick it back tight. The flicking motion causes 20% more lock up.

Pappabear
05-03-19, 21:58
Its badass that you can holster and run a can on a handgun. Ive only been able to put a can on shoot it, and play on. I keep rifle cans on everything. Anywho, well done and your night vision antics are enviable.

PB

ramairthree
05-04-19, 10:38
I usually use an O ring and that works fine. No issues on any pistols.

One one Carbine with an old direct thread can I ended up using a spring washer and that did the trick.

bigshoe83
05-10-19, 16:05
I will be getting some o rings as well, thanks for the pic MegademiC!

z71lover8
06-01-19, 09:33
What Holster are you using with that setup, Eurodriver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk