PDA

View Full Version : My "Match A1"... build in process

Josh-L
11-02-06, 15:23
Not being happy with the accuracy of my LMT 10.5 I started searching for something better. I only use iron sights now after trying every optic on the planet and either not being happy with them or not willing to pay for what I liked the best (ie Shortdot). So I wanted to find a great 10.5 inch barrel with a regular front sight tower. Grant started offering the Noveske's but only had 1/9 at the time and I didn't want to wait for a 1/7. I have used WOA barrels on a number of builds and been extremely happy with them. My 18 inch SPRish clone was crazy accurate. So I had a spare WOA 10.5 SS match barrel sitting in the safe not being used. I contacted the company that was installing the FSB on Grant's barrels but they did not offer that service to anyone else. So I called ADCO to ask if they did it. Sure enough they do. So I sent it to them and had it back within a week. I also had them KG coat it. They did an amazing job. So this is step one and I'll have more to come as I get the rest in.....
http://members.cox.net/josh-l/SleeperAR1.JPG

LOKNLOD
11-03-06, 19:57
Sounds cool Josh -- do you intend to put this on an A1 style upper receiver? I love the look of A1 shorties. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

USMC03
11-04-06, 07:32
Looking foward to seeing the finished product ;)

Josh-L
11-04-06, 13:22
Sounds cool Josh -- do you intend to put this on an A1 style upper receiver? I love the look of A1 shorties. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Dude you can't be jumping ahead of schedule....... :D

But yes it will have an A1 upper that I sent to S.A.W. and had M4 ramps cut. I haven't received it back yet though.

Josh-L
11-09-06, 14:52
Well I was going to post a pic of the upper when I got it and then of the complete upper but I got excited and put it all together and forgot to take pics.

Upper is a DPMS A1 since I couldn't find/didn't want to pay for a Colt. I sent it to Specialized Armament Warehouse and had them add M4 feed ramps to it. Turnaround was two weeks. It fits perfectly to the barrel extension. I also put XS same plane sights in it.

Next I added a SF M500. I used one of these as my very first dedicated weapon light but got rid of it because I thought it was too heavy at the time. I didn't want to run rails on this upper because I didn't want to buy everything else to go with them like a vert grip/rail covers/sling loop/weapon light. I realized that after I added all that the M500 would weigh about the same. I also realized that when I first thought the M500 was too heavy I was running it on a 16 inch HBAR.

Anyway, I really liked how it turned out. I was going to have a range report today but drove all the way out to the range and didn't bring any .223 ammo!?!?!?
http://members.cox.net/josh-l/SleeperAR2.JPG

LOKNLOD
11-09-06, 17:53
Kick-ass! That turned out great!

Glockster35
11-09-06, 19:07
Very nice!

Paulinski
11-17-06, 18:58
Not being happy with the accuracy of my LMT 10.5 I started searching for something better.

Could you ellaborate a bit more on your accuracy problems with LMT 10.5" I'm in the process of building a 10.5" SBR.

Paul

TOrrock
11-17-06, 19:07
Turned out great!

Josh-L
11-18-06, 19:01
Could you ellaborate a bit more on your accuracy problems with LMT 10.5" I'm in the process of building a 10.5" SBR.

Paul

I wasn't having "problems" just wanted something a little better. Our qualification course requires us to make two head shots into a 6 x 2 inch rectangle at 100 yards and I had to try REALLY hard to do that.

SethB
11-18-06, 20:02
What position? That is a damn hard shot (on the x2).

Paulinski
11-18-06, 21:01
I wasn't having "problems" just wanted something a little better. Our qualification course requires us to make two head shots into a 6 x 2 inch rectangle at 100 yards and I had to try REALLY hard to do that.

Thanks for the clarification.

Josh-L
11-19-06, 12:06
What position? That is a damn hard shot (on the x2).

Prone in loop sling. It's not that hard with a 20 inch AR but with the shorter sight radius and of course the short barrel it makes it a little harder but can still be done.