PDA

View Full Version : Larue MBT - 1) ok for home defense gun? 2) straight vs curved?

gregr507
05-03-19, 20:58
I'm considering upgrading my trigger group, but have never used any triggers beyond stock milspec ones. My gun currently has the PSA EPT. It seems okay, but like I said, I have nothing nicer to compare it to. As for my questions:

1) What are peoples' thoughts on the MBT for a home defense (primarily) gun? I would use the heavier spring, but again I don't have a point of reference for how heavy that feels vs my current trigger. My concerns are that it may be too light of a pull, and I've also seen people say that 2 stage triggers are better for precision work than defense.

2) If I do order one, thoughts on straight vs curved type? I've never used a straight trigger. I do see people say it makes the pull feel lighter, which actually worries me a little bit as I don't want the pull super light for a defense gun. But people seem to like them. I know it's probably personal preference, but I was curious what people thought.

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! :smile:

SteveL
05-03-19, 21:29
There are a lot of good triggers out there. I only recently got my first MBT but I'll give you my thoughts.

1) I think it's a fine choice for a home defense gun. The flat bow model is new to the market, but the regular MBT has been around for a while and I think if there were any problems with it we would know by now. LaRue is a solid company with a reputation for good quality. Typically a trigger in the 5-6 lb. range is about right for HD use in my opinion. Try both springs and see which you feel is most appropriate for you. Two stage triggers are great for precision work, but there's no reason you can't use one for HD as well.

2) Straight vs curved is a personal choice. I love straight triggers. One of my buddies hates them. The flat bow may make the trigger pull seem lighter, but that's because you can more easily place your finger further down on it.

For comparison I have three flat bow Geissele triggers. They are one SD-E and two SD-C. IMO the MBT is very close to the SD-E (I'm using the lighter spring). It's close enough for me that I doubt I'll buy any more G triggers due to the price difference.

crosseyedshooter
05-03-19, 22:42
My MBT with heavy spring pulls very similarly to my Geissele G2S which feels very similar to my Geissele SSA. The MBT breaks cleaner than the two Geissele triggers, maybe due to different design philosophies. If you like the wider flat shoe of the MBT, I would highly recommend it especially at the current pricing. It's a very versatile trigger with the lighter spring for precision shooting and the heavier spring for general use or self-defense. Some people may prefer the mil-spec curved trigger shoe and Geissele triggers provide that option.

bigjoe7757
05-03-19, 22:52
MBT 2 curved with the heavy spring is my go to trigger for A battle rifle/HD. I have plenty of more expensive triggers but this is the way to go for the money.

Iraqgunz
05-04-19, 03:15
Follow all the rules regardless of the trigger you are using and you should be fine.

RobertTheTexan
05-04-19, 20:10
I’ve bought about 8 MBT’s. My last trigger being the flat bow.

That said, I don’t think here is an “HD” trigger. That said (redundant I know) there are definitely triggers that I would NOT use for HD. I think you mention about triggers that are too light. However the LaRue with the heavy spring is NOT one of those triggers.

You ask about flatbow vs curved? Irrelevant when you are talking about an HD or whatever gun. What type trigger shoe are you used to? If it’s curved then don’t change shit up, unless you plan on investing the training time on the flat trigger so that you are used to that trigger.

Think through the scenario. You are defending your castle. Adrenaline is released, you’ll probably experience tunnel vision and gross motor skills are declining. Muscle memory, assuming you are training, kicks in and you do what you need to do. When my muscle memory kicks in, I want my finger on something familiar. Whether that’s a flat bow or curved bow - irrelevant. It’s whatever you’ve trained with so you don’t end up with a premature triggerbation and alert the world and the bad guys potentially where you are and that you are a threat.

So that’s my thoughts on that.

The MBT is a great trigger. Period. After I tested both MBT and a SD-C and SSA side by side, I sold my Geisseles. I’ve recommended the MBT to a couple of Geissele users and once they ran the MBT, their BillG. triggers were a thing of the past on their fighting guns.

Buy the MBT, just make sure whatever one you buy, you are trained on and it’s familiar territory to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S10nova
05-04-19, 20:42
To the OP..order it..train with it(as others have said)
I don't own the PSA ept but have heard it's comparable to ALG's offerings..and some others.
I own PSA., An Anderson mut and an LWRC mut trigger and an MBT curved.
When I say mut I mean..I switched some things around because I had JP springs and some rounds weren't firing..I also reload so their are a couple factors coming into play besides a drop in trigger and factory ammo..etc ...

When the MBT arrived I felt like I upgraded..or kinda like how Mario got bigger when he got the mushroom.
Kinda made me feel all warm inside :lol:

I'm about to swap the MBT into a lower I shoot more because I initially bought it for precision(ish) shooting in my longer DMR wannabe gun. Now I wanna know what it's like in my shorter guns.

Buy it..u won't regret it.
Oh..and all this aside look up milspec mojo..guy only shoots with milspec triggers (last I remember seeing)...
He puts a lot of high speed aftermarket trigger owners to shame..
It all boils down (to me anyways ) training..familiarity...usage.

gregr507
05-04-19, 22:34
Thank you guys for the input so far, it's much appreciated. I think I probably wasn't clear enough in the OP - until I get the funds for purpose built weapons, this is kind of my do-it-all gun. So yeah it will mostly be used at the range, but having it be fit for self defense is really still a priority. Hope that makes sense. It sounds like it wouldn't be an issue for home defense use though, which is great. I'm leaning towards the curved trigger just because that's all I've used before, as mentioned by others above

AndyLate
05-04-19, 23:18
Thank you guys for the input so far, it's much appreciated. I think I probably wasn't clear enough in the OP - until I get the funds for purpose built weapons, this is kind of my do-it-all gun. So yeah it will mostly be used at the range, but having it be fit for self defense is really still a priority. Hope that makes sense. It sounds like it wouldn't be an issue for home defense use though, which is great. I'm leaning towards the curved trigger just because that's all I've used before, as mentioned by others above

There is nothing wrong with an all purpose gun, and if you hit the range fairly frequently you will be used to whichever trigger you have.

All my guns have curved triggers. I use 2 MBT triggers, one is set up with the standard spring in a 18" rifle and one with the "heavy" spring in a general purpose carbine. I would recommend starting with the "heavy" spring for your purposes, mainly because the reset is a little more positive.

Andy

BufordTJustice
05-05-19, 11:04
Follow all the rules regardless of the trigger you are using and you should be fine.

This.

I am a Geissele devotee but I also own and use an MBT. OP, you're fine with the MBT.

Be honest with yourself; if you've had issues with trigger control, a few pounds of additional or reduced weight won't fix bad trigger finger discipline.

I use a Geissele SSA-E on my duty gun. It's [emoji817] good to go. No issues.

The MBT basically makes anything cheaper than an G2S invalid. It doesn't currently have a peer in its price bracket.

It's not a Geissele. But it's better than anything else under a GA price. And I do really like the geometry similarities.

04rwon
05-07-19, 11:54
How does the mbt compare to the rea 2 stage?

VIP3R 237
05-07-19, 12:20
How does the mbt compare to the rea 2 stage?

Rra two stage? If so the rra is hobby grade trash at very best.

04rwon
05-07-19, 12:26
Rra two stage? If so the rra is hobby grade trash at very best.

Why is that? I thought they were pretty good?

georgeib
05-07-19, 19:33
Why is that? I thought they were pretty good?They aren't.

Eurodriver
05-07-19, 19:36
I’ve bought about 8 MBT’s. My last trigger being the flat bow.

You didn’t buy that!

bigjoe7757
05-07-19, 20:03
The MBT 2 instantly made the RRA 2 stage obsolete the second it was released.

RobertTheTexan
05-07-19, 20:10
You didn’t buy that!

Dangit!!! You’re right.

I’ve only bought seven MBT’’s!!

And had a squared away Florida warrior buy me the flat bow!

tehpwnag3
05-09-19, 11:22
They can take a dump on you without much notice. It's hit or miss with those, probably having to do with heat treating. Perhaps they were the go-to for less expensive "match" triggers, but no longer. Sure, some guys will swear by them.

Why is that? I thought they were pretty good?