PDA

View Full Version : local gunshop transfers

HMsailor
05-04-19, 10:18
had a lower shipped here at a lgs. is it standard procedure for a local gunshop to open the package before you pick up. they already took it out and wrapped it in a ziplock plastic bag.

wigbones
05-04-19, 10:44
Yes that is standard procedure. They generally check it into their system before the buyer comes to pick it up.

mpom
05-04-19, 10:53
Serial # is entered in the FFL log, so the guy either trusts the paperwork is correct or puts eyes on the real item.
I always check the real serial # and repack.

HMsailor
05-04-19, 10:55
Thats all fine with me but they didnt give me the box or orig contents that came with it. Did they just assume I dont want it? The said thats hiw they shipped it. smh.

gunnerblue
05-04-19, 10:56
The FFL I use now always opened the packages and records the serial numbers in his log before I arrive. Others I’ve used in the past have waited until I showed up before opening anything. I haven’t been bothered either way but my current guy is a fellow enthusiast and knows how to handle valuable firearms. I can’t say the same about every clerk I’ve met in a sporting goods store.

gunnerblue
05-04-19, 10:58
Thats all fine with me but they didnt give me the box or orig contents that came with it. Did they just assume I dont want it? The said thats hiw they shipped it. smh.

I would definitely expect the contents of the shipment. As far as the box goes, lots of shops seem to keep boxes for shipping their own sales.

AKDoug
05-04-19, 11:33
I'm an FFL. All packages are opened upon arrival, firearm removed from packaging, serial number checked against the invoice, and then logged into my book. I don't wait for the customer to come in to check. If there is an issue I want to know about it ASAP. There are several cheaper brands of lowers that will ship in bulk simply wrapped in packing paper and placed in a big box. I have had this happen when guys order bulk Anderson, PSA, and Delton lowers. I've heard of it with other brands as well, but haven't seen it personally.

AndyLate
05-04-19, 11:38
My transfer FFL hands me the unopened box and a box cutter, which is cool with me. I would not have an issue if he opened it and disposed of the packing either.

ccosby
05-04-19, 13:44
Serial # is entered in the FFL log, so the guy either trusts the paperwork is correct or puts eyes on the real item.
I always check the real serial # and repack.

Yea this. The FFL's around me will open it to check the serials and put it back in the box if its an original shipping box(so like factory packaging). If it wasn't factory packaging they usually toss it aside. So I bought some hk94's over the last few years that were shipped in a generic box, box got trashed. Same dealer gets a new lmt or something in and it gets put back in the shipping box designed for it.

HMsailor
05-04-19, 14:12
i ordered an lmt and they took the box. there couldve been extra free stuff like stickers or coupons that they kept.

ccosby
05-04-19, 14:26
i ordered an lmt and they took the box. there couldve been extra free stuff like stickers or coupons that they kept.

A complete lmt rifle should have 1 magazine, a basic sling, and some basic paperwork. I got two spm's in the last 2 or 3 months. First was a 20 inch a4 that they sold me cheap because they were moving(I knew they had made them but had never seen one) that I had shipped to a local dealer friend. The second was a 14.5 inch sbr that is going to be used to mount a master key that an out of town dealer I know ordered for me. He was actually in town to see the first dealer and dropped off the upper and zip lock back with the mag and sling in it for me to pickup along with the signed form 4's for me to sign and mail off.

Past that they(at least the spm) come in a plastic bag and are shipped in a basic cardboard box.

Iraqgunz
05-04-19, 15:22
Except he bought a lower, not a complete rifle.

A complete lmt rifle should have 1 magazine, a basic sling, and some basic paperwork. I got two spm's in the last 2 or 3 months. First was a 20 inch a4 that they sold me cheap because they were moving(I knew they had made them but had never seen one) that I had shipped to a local dealer friend. The second was a 14.5 inch sbr that is going to be used to mount a master key that an out of town dealer I know ordered for me. He was actually in town to see the first dealer and dropped off the upper and zip lock back with the mag and sling in it for me to pickup along with the signed form 4's for me to sign and mail off.

Past that they(at least the spm) come in a plastic bag and are shipped in a basic cardboard box.

AndyLate
05-04-19, 15:39

Sionics has the right idea, they take a picture of everything shipped, print it and put it in the box.

If you don't trust the FFL, it's worth it to find another.

mark5pt56
05-05-19, 07:15
Some will wait until you are in to open it. Most will open it to get the serial number and re-close the box. Never had any take stickers, etc. If you mention it beforehand, they will keep the shipping sleeve, mine always asked if I wanted them. I advise to keep it in case there's an issue you can re-package easier.
The time I had an issue and the last time I used one place for a transfer was when they were letting customers play with the carbine, racking it, dry fire, etc, etc. before I was able to get in. I found out about it on a forum before I picked it up. That was an ass chewing for the owner when I got there I can say. He tried to say that the firearm was his until I picked it up. No, you are the lawful steward of my property and I didn't allow/approve of the "0"uckery. He couldn't see the difference in a transfer verses one he had in for store inventory. Same guy was going to sue anyone posting an honest, factual review on yelp, that was negative of course.

Arik
05-05-19, 08:17
My LGS waits for you to open it. That way any issues are not their problems. Scratches on a classic collectable? Missing parts? Wrong color? Wrong brand? No stickers? Not enough mags? You're the first to open it and they'll be happy to ship it back if you don't want it!

Gunfixr
05-05-19, 09:05
We used to open them, so we could log it.
Until something came in messed up, and there was a big "discussion" about how it got that way.
After that, we were very particular about opening transfers. Something standard, from a shop, like maybe some factory item the customer got off gb from bud's or similar, we'd open. But, if it was from a previously unused vendor or person, or the package looked damaged or particularly rough handled, we waited.
Anything collectible, we waited.

hk_shootr
05-05-19, 09:12

Sounds like you need to have a discussion with your local shop

Vegas
05-05-19, 09:23

Time to find a different store to do your transfers. A minor thing but a dick move nonetheless.

Kyohte
05-05-19, 16:55
Find a store that will open the shipping box and fill out their paperwork in your presence. This is how my preferred FFL handles it. I drive past closer FFLs for this, including some who won’t even fill out their paperwork the same day the package arrives. I arrive at the FFL, they open the package and log it while I inspect it. Then if everything checks out, fill out the 4473 and leave with the entire shipment. Nothing less should be acceptable.

HMsailor
05-05-19, 17:08
Agreed. Its not like Ive waited the next day to pick it up. I showed up only a few hrs after it was delivered.

CLee0509
05-05-19, 21:02
My FFL is pretty good then compared to some of the stories I've read on here. I have always received whatever was sent that belonged to me weather it be long gun cardboard boxes or stripped lower boxes.

steelcore
05-05-19, 21:09
I would want to be the person to open not the FFL if only for the reason stated previously. It's a liability for the FFL if there is a damaged item. Best to wait for customer and open together

AKDoug
05-05-19, 22:46
I would want to be the person to open not the FFL if only for the reason stated previously. It's a liability for the FFL if there is a damaged item. Best to wait for customer and open together

That's fine as long as it happens in a reasonable amount of time. You have to log firearms into your book if they are sitting around. I have guns that are awaiting pickup that have been there for more than six months. My ATF inspector made it a point to warn me that guns couldn't sit indefinitely in my receiving area.

steelcore
05-06-19, 04:32
[QUOTE=AKDoug;2732760]That's fine as long as it happens in a reasonable amount of time. You have to log firearms into your book if they are sitting around. I have guns that are awaiting pickup that have been there for more than six months. My ATF inspector made it a point to warn me that guns couldn't sit indefinitely in my receiving area.[/QU

Someone that leaves a firearm for six months isn't going to have an avenue to return a damaged product anyway

Gunfixr
05-06-19, 07:31
We would not wait six months.
Was almost always less than a week, usually just a couple days.
And yes, we'd be right there to get the info to log it in while the customer inspected it.

The shop should not keep or remove any of the packing or the box. Nor should they take anything out and keep it. We've had customers order something that a friend had gotten, and they wanted one. When they picked theirs up, it had more mags or accessories than the one their friend got.

scottryan
05-06-19, 16:16
My LGS waits for you to open it. That way any issues are not their problems. Scratches on a classic collectable? Missing parts? Wrong color? Wrong brand? No stickers? Not enough mags? You're the first to open it and they'll be happy to ship it back if you don't want it!

This is how its suppose to be done.

My dealer doesn't open anything until I get there. Ive had too much shenanigans happen in the past when outer OEM cardboard sleeves, which are serial numbered to the gun, are thrown away before I get there.

Most dealers are incapable of handling a high dollar collectible firearm. They don't have the wherewithal or horsepower to deal with it.

scottryan
05-06-19, 16:21
Find a store that will open the shipping box and fill out their paperwork in your presence. This is how my preferred FFL handles it. I drive past closer FFLs for this, including some who won’t even fill out their paperwork the same day the package arrives. I arrive at the FFL, they open the package and log it while I inspect it. Then if everything checks out, fill out the 4473 and leave with the entire shipment. Nothing less should be acceptable.

Yes, exactly.