PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory's XD series

Slater
05-06-19, 22:09
This is one handgun that I've personally never fired or even handled, although it seems to be selling reasonably well. The series seems to have quite a few variants. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Glock or H&K, but how does it fare in the usual categories of accuracy, reliability, and durability?

Pappabear
05-06-19, 22:15
They are decent guns, IMHO, for guys getting into to shooting. But not duty grade weapons. YMMV, best of luck.

PB

PrarieDog
05-06-19, 23:19
I own one. Wouldn't hesitate to use it for self defense. Good guns, 1911 grip angle and backstop safety. Not as much aftermarket support like glock. I prefer to shoot my Glocks over my XD.

tvfreakarms
05-06-19, 23:31
If your use to shooting a glock like I am, there is a learning curve to shot the XD's. At least it was for me cause of the grip angle.

I don't c why u wouldn't use a XD for duty use. I'm sure it's just as reliable as most plastic guns.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-07-19, 13:44
Like many guy my age (thirties) the XD was my first pistol. It was actually a good gun, despite the poo poo flinged at it here. I've since moved on to companies with better reputations.

ggammell
05-07-19, 14:28
Aaron Cowan at Sage dynamics has reported 20 or so breaking in classes. To the point they were unserviceable on-site. He’s got a post of it on IG that I can’t find at the moment.

ralph
05-07-19, 14:59
I had a XD45 years ago..it was a POS. Would not feed anything other than RN bullet. High bore axis, and not all that accurate, I had a SA milspec, at the time that shot rings around the XD45, and, was alot more reliable.. It would for example feed, fire, eject cases loaded with a LSWC, all day long, while the XD choked on them.I understand they've made some changes since then, but, still I'd never own one again, there's simply too many better options for the same money..

Pacific5th
05-07-19, 16:29
I had a XDM 45 that would not shoot HP rounds. It shot ball just fine however. My XDs was good to go with whatever but I did not enjoy shooting 45 in that small of a gun.

Slater
05-07-19, 18:39
I'm looking at either a Springfield XD Mod 2 Tactical (5 inch barrel) or a CZ P-10F (full size). The CZ is more expensive but might be the better option.

tvfreakarms
05-07-19, 18:53
I bought mine XDM 45 back in 2010 or 11. So far I've had no issues with it.
But I plan on moving on with companies with better reputation.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

rtsmith81az
05-07-19, 19:04
My agency allows us to use Glocks in 9mm and .45 and XDs in 9mm or .45. They don't care much about the model used. Most of us use Glocks but the guys who run XDs like them and have had good luck with XDs/XDMs in both 9mm and .45. All the XDs run fine with our duty ammo which is Speer Gold Dots. 124 +Ps for the 9s and 230s for the .45

Gunnar da Wolf
05-07-19, 19:30
We issued XD 45 pistols (initially against my advice). They ran just fine with Winchester SXT, Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot until about the five year period. We began to experience the occasional odd failures to feed which we eventually found to be weak magazine springs. SA sent me several hundred stouter springs and everyone carried on.
The last I heard they’re looking at replacing them, with XD 9mm pistols.

If you like Glock, M&P, HK, CZ or some other tactical Tupperware better that’s fine, but some of the hyperbole I read about XD pistols makes me shake my head.

Uni-Vibe
05-07-19, 20:31
When Darth Vader is on Earth, he carries a Springfield XDM 10mm. 5.25".

Jesse H
05-07-19, 21:44
My first carry fun was an HS2000. Basically the XD 9mm before Springfield Armory started carrying them. It was a $200 gun at the time and I put over 8k rounds through it. Had to replace the extractor and recoil spring.

Ended up buying other versions of the XD when they came out but eventually sold them all except the first one. After being issued Glocks at work I wanted to keep all my platforms similar.

I shoot my HS2000 more accurately when I'm just punching paper. The trigger is much lighter and breaks nicer than any Glock, but the reset is ridiculous.

Glocks I shoot more effectively when I'm picking up the pace.

AKDoug
05-08-19, 01:49
I shot the shit out of my XDm .40 back when I didn't know any better. Never broke a thing on it in over 10K rounds and it's still going strong. I replaced the firing pin roll pin with a spring steel one as a preventative measure, but otherwise it's been stock. It shot three Redback One classes before I switched to 9mm and a Glock. The XDm is way more accurate, but I shoot the Glock faster and with reasonable amounts of accuracy. The G19 conceals and carries much better than the heavier XDm. The XDm is now my hideaway gun at my business.

ST911
05-08-19, 08:14
Sporting grade pistol, and all that goes with it. Some do okay. In the XD line, I like the XDs most and have been pretty surprised by the samples I've used and seen.

ramairthree
05-08-19, 10:37
I have never messed with the XD.
I do have a few XDMs.
Which use different mags than the XDs.
I am not really sure why they have both lines.

The compact versions are very odd geometrically.
The way a Beretta PX4 SC is.

There are some things I really like about the fullsized.

MountainRaven
05-08-19, 13:04
I have never messed with the XD.
I do have a few XDMs.
Which use different mags than the XDs.
I am not really sure why they have both lines.

The compact versions are very odd geometrically.
The way a Beretta PX4 SC is.

There are some things I really like about the fullsized.

They have both lines because California: The XDm is not legal to sell in California. The XD is.

ramairthree
05-08-19, 21:04
They have both lines because California: The XDm is not legal to sell in California. The XD is.

An aspect I had not considered or realized.

It must cost a ton to get on the approved list if maintaining two lines is more profitable.

MountainRaven
05-08-19, 22:58
An aspect I had not considered or realized.

It must cost a ton to get on the approved list if maintaining two lines is more profitable.

Last I checked, the approved list had been closed. So if SAI stops importing XDs, they effectively cannot sell any polymer-framed striker-fired pistols in California. Otherwise, I'm sure the XDm and XD Mod 2 would have been listed and legal for sale in California.

And technically, Springfield has three lines of full-sized polymer handguns: XD, XDm, and XD Mod 2. The XD Mod 2 has the same problem as the XDm. Other than that, the XD and XD Mod 2 are less expensive than the XDm, which I suppose allows SAI to have a "premium" line of polymer-framed pistols and a more budget oriented line.

El Pistolero
05-09-19, 00:11
My first pistol was an early XD-9. It shot well and I never had any problems with it. I wouldn’t hesitate to own another as long as it’s the original XD and not a Mod 2 or XDM. But I don’t get the hate for the XD, it seems to only exist on the internet because no one I’ve known in person has had any issues with their XD. I’ve had more problems with y’alls beloved brand of Glock than with all my other makes and models combined.

05-09-19, 07:29
But I don’t get the hate for the XD, it seems to only exist on the internet because no one I’ve known in person has had any issues with their XD.

Same. They seem to get much more hate on the internet than in the real world. I’ve never had one, myself, but I would consider it if I was looking for a non-Glock Glock.

ralph
05-09-19, 23:01
My first pistol was an early XD-9. It shot well and I never had any problems with it. I wouldn’t hesitate to own another as long as it’s the original XD and not a Mod 2 or XDM. But I don’t get the hate for the XD, it seems to only exist on the internet because no one I’ve known in person has had any issues with their XD. I’ve had more problems with y’alls beloved brand of Glock than with all my other makes and models combined.

I have, the XD 45 I had would'nt feed anything but RN bullets, and if you tried something like a semi wadcutter, they would usually cause a malfunction, and damage your mags as well, I'll explain..when the fired case was extracted, the extracted case would ride along on top of the next round coming up in the mag, (due to a lack of extractor tension)and when the empty case hit the shoulder of a wad cutter type of bullet, the shoulder of the bullet acted like an ejector, and ejected the case early, causing a malfunction. The empty case being dragged back on the bullet and hitting the shoulder would shove in the case in the mag back, slamming it into the back of the mag, deforming it to the point it no longer dropped free.Now granted this was some time ago, but the problem was at the time, a lack of extractor tension, and the extractor being located where it was (botton of the slide) could'nt be adjusted. As I said before, there better options for the money.. If I was given a choice between a 10 year old USPc in .45 or a brand new XD45, I'd take the 10year old USP every time..

BuzzinSATX
05-10-19, 07:47
I have an XDm 3.9C 9MM and an XD Mod 2 3.3 .45 and both run well and shoot any ammo I’ve tried thus far, mostly FMJ RN and several magazines of JHP’s.

I prefer Glocks for a number of reasons, but I have no complaints nor would I feel unsafe with either of my XDs versus my Glocks.

Aftermarket support and blue label pricing bring me back to Glock.

I had Powder River Precision put a carry trigger in my 3.3 .45 and it is a nice little shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence
05-12-19, 22:28
Last I checked, the approved list had been closed. So if SAI stops importing XDs, they effectively cannot sell any polymer-framed striker-fired pistols in California. Otherwise, I'm sure the XDm and XD Mod 2 would have been listed and legal for sale in California.

And technically, Springfield has three lines of full-sized polymer handguns: XD, XDm, and XD Mod 2. The XD Mod 2 has the same problem as the XDm. Other than that, the XD and XD Mod 2 are less expensive than the XDm, which I suppose allows SAI to have a "premium" line of polymer-framed pistols and a more budget oriented line.

Springfield has also come out with this "Defender" series, which is nothing more than the plain original XD line in either subcompact or 4", 9mm only, with one mag in a cardboard box, for sub $300. The word I have seen was the product number changed with the new nomenclature that would disallow it from CA.

I've currently got four of them. My first pistol was a G22, followed very shortly by a 4" XD40 and XD45. I no longer have the Glock, added both an XD9 in subcompact and 4" model last year after a several year hiatus from much of anything gun related. I've never had problems with any of them. The .40 has always fed Ranger T and Golden Sabre fine, the .45 Ranger T and UMC JHP, both 9mm's W Defend and UMC JHP.

In a full sized striker fired pistol, I prefer them. No, I haven't shot everything on the market, but in what I shoot, they're what I preference. They're taking a back seat, finally sprung to DA/SA in a commercial M9. I've been shooting it almost exclusively, and tinkering with it, thinking the next pistol I need is the 92 Compact. Who knows, I may never go back to shooting striker guns with any big regularity.

Esq.
05-21-19, 12:22

I was told this is the same reason that Glock continues to make the Gen III guns.

RVTMaverick
05-22-19, 13:58
I've had my 4.5" 9mm XDM for ALOT of Years now, Never an issue with this firearm, shoots everything I've fed it and she shoots awesome. The stock trigger is way better then my friend's M&Ps... I hate the trigger on his M&P.
Another friend of mine has a Glocks in 9mm and his triggers(IMHO) are better then the M&Ps... Myself and both of these guys like the XDMs stock trigger Better...
Even so, (I shoot 1911s.. a lot) so, I replaced the stock trigger alittle over a year ago now and it's WAY Better then stock! I only wish I had changed out the trigger years ago too. I love my 4.5" XDM 9mm, 19 round mags., plus 1 in the chamber... That's Awesome all by itself! LOL

Maybe this will help someone know how long I've had this.... approx. a month after I bought it, is when they just released the Awesome 5.25"... Dam, a month later and I would have bought this instead. LOL