PDA

View Full Version : Bcm 11.5”

04rwon
05-07-19, 12:11
Gotta get the post count up. Heres my bcm 11.5 elw fluted. This thing is ridiculously light, surprisingly soft shooting too. Also very accurate. The goal was as light as possible without weird bcg’s and buffers. Its got a bcm bcg, and stt2 buffer. T1 in a larue mount, spikes nib trigger, jp red/yellow springs. Ran it in multigun the other weekend. Absolutely love this thing.

ggammell
05-07-19, 14:19
Gotta get the post count up.

No you don’t.

bigshoe83
05-10-19, 16:39
Gotta get the post count up. Heres my bcm 11.5 elw fluted. This thing is ridiculously light, surprisingly soft shooting too. Also very accurate. The goal was as light as possible without weird bcg’s and buffers. Its got a bcm bcg, and stt2 buffer. T1 in a larue mount, spikes nib trigger, jp red/yellow springs. Ran it in multigun the other weekend. Absolutely love this thing.

Looks like a nice quality pistol but I’m not sure why you are worried about post count

04rwon
05-10-19, 17:18
Wanted to post in the EE. Have an acog and mount for sale lol

bigshoe83
05-10-19, 17:41
I was just saying that because you were already over 30 posts

MistWolf
05-11-19, 14:41

It's bad form to post on this site just to get your count up. It's even worse form (although honest) to come out and say you're posting just to get your count up.

What do you consider a "weird" buffer? Guessing from the stt2 moniker, you have a Spikes powdered tungsten buffer in your AR which is a nonstandard (and thus arguably "weird") buffer. H, H2 and A5H2 buffers, weird or not, are very effective, especially the A5H2.

One item you'll want to add to your SBA3 is the Split Fix
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-Pistols/n-sBc7dw/i-NfgQfDM/0/3fa8c602/X2/i-NfgQfDM-X2.jpg

I've been using one for a few months and it makes the SBA3 even better. It keeps the wings from collapsing and folding in on themselves. The Split Fix prevents collapsing and folding which weakens the rubber wings over time. The Split Fix is well worth the money spent.
http://wisemencompany.com/sba3-splitfix/

Overall, it looks like you've got a good setup.

Ricrock
05-13-19, 17:07
I too have the split fix on two of my guns. It truly improves the rigidity of the brace. I do wonder however, if by installing (therefore modifying) the ATF approved brace is it still legal? ATF says no modifications are allowed. Does this "mod" affect the original integrity or purpose of the brace? If not I would guess it would be considered OK.

What is the opinion of this board?

Thanks,

Rick

themonk
05-13-19, 17:14
I too have the split fix on two of my guns. It truly improves the rigidity of the brace. I do wonder however, if by installing (therefore modifying) the ATF approved brace is it still legal? ATF says no modifications are allowed. Does this "mod" affect the original integrity or purpose of the brace? If not I would guess it would be considered OK.

What is the opinion of this board?

Thanks,

Rick

You are modifying = not OK

04rwon
05-13-19, 17:33
It's bad form to post on this site just to get your count up. It's even worse form (although honest) to come out and say you're posting just to get your count up.

What do you consider a "weird" buffer? Guessing from the stt2 moniker, you have a Spikes powdered tungsten buffer in your AR which is a nonstandard (and thus arguably "weird") buffer. H, H2 and A5H2 buffers, weird or not, are very effective, especially the A5H2.

One item you'll want to add to your SBA3 is the Split Fix
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-Pistols/n-sBc7dw/i-NfgQfDM/0/3fa8c602/X2/i-NfgQfDM-X2.jpg

I've been using one for a few months and it makes the SBA3 even better. It keeps the wings from collapsing and folding in on themselves. The Split Fix prevents collapsing and folding which weakens the rubber wings over time. The Split Fix is well worth the money spent.
http://wisemencompany.com/sba3-splitfix/

Overall, it looks like you've got a good setup.

Its my normal setup for anything with a collapsible stock. I have 1 lower with an a5, havent noticed any difference with it.

I usually tend to read more around here, never post like I used to back in the day.

Shes been solid, i love it more and more every time I shoot it. Think i want to swap the t1 for a t2 because i do magnify. Also probably swap the mbus for spikes micros or maybe pros.

Machinesofhate
06-08-19, 20:20
That's a sweet looking pistol. I've been wanting to do an 11.5.

04rwon
06-08-19, 20:40

You wont regret it. I absolutely love this thing. I also notice a significantly smoother impulse with this vs my 10.5

AndyLate
06-08-19, 21:45

I took my new 11.3" pistol build to the range today and couldn't be happier with it.

Andy

MistWolf
06-09-19, 02:16
You are modifying = not OK

The Split Fix does not modify the arm brace. The Split Fix still secures the arm brace to your arm same as the factory strap.

fred
09-25-19, 02:10
Nice. Got my own BCM 11.5 pistol, but not the ELW one. I am liking it fine but not crazy about the brace, I might try your fix. The muzzle brake-cum-flash hider doesn't seem to brake or hide, so I will likely replace it with an SEI Vortex. These are great firearms, I wish I could have gotten two but had to "settle" for one of those Geissele SDLE rifles!!
Enjoy your BCM!

themonk
09-25-19, 05:40
The Split Fix does not modify the arm brace. The Split Fix still secures the arm brace to your arm same as the factory strap.

MistWolf, I have spoken to an ATF agent about it. The reply back was any changes from the factory configuration is modification thus not OK.

flenna
09-25-19, 06:03
MistWolf, I have spoken to an ATF agent about it. The reply back was any changes from the factory configuration is modification thus not OK.

So the OEM strap broke due to my beefy Popeye forearms and I replaced it with one a little more sturdy. But according to some local government agent this is illegal so I need to throw the whole wrist brace away and buy a new one? Hint: ask any government official if "fill in the blank" is illegal and the default answer is invariably " yes".

themonk
09-25-19, 06:11
So the OEM strap broke due to my beefy Popeye forearms and I replaced it with one a little more sturdy. But according to some local government agent this is illegal so I need to throw the whole wrist brace away and buy a new one? Hint: ask any government official if "fill in the blank" is illegal and the default answer is invariably " yes".

I dont care what you do with the info. I live in Northern VA and due to the shooting community here, I see ATF, CIA, DEA, NSA, CBP, and DHS agents all the time. One of my good friends is a gunsmith here and he works on all their guns. I have not found your "Hint" to be true at all. I am just giving you info from the root, do with it for what you paid for it!

MegademiC
09-25-19, 07:18

1. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?74828-AR-pistol-picture-thread/page48
2. Not the intent of how it works here

MegademiC
09-25-19, 07:18

1. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?74828-AR-pistol-picture-thread/page48
2. Not the intent of how it works here

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-25-19, 13:14
I dont care what you do with the info. I live in Northern VA and due to the shooting community here, I see ATF, CIA, DEA, NSA, CBP, and DHS agents all the time. One of my good friends is a gunsmith here and he works on all their guns. I have not found your "Hint" to be true at all. I am just giving you info from the root, do with it for what you paid for it!

Nobody cares if you shoot with alphabet agencies, or sniff their badges as they walk by you at the range. SB Tactical has taken every precaution and step they can to keep their braces ATF compliant, and they sell replacement straps in many different colors and camo patterns. You cannot legally remove the strap permanently, but replacing the strap is legal.

themonk
09-25-19, 13:26
Nobody cares if you shoot with alphabet agencies, or sniff their badges as they walk by you at the range. SB Tactical has taken every precaution and step they can to keep their braces ATF compliant, and they sell replacement straps in many different colors and camo patterns. You cannot legally remove the strap permanently, but replacing the strap is legal.

Don't sniff badges and don't really give a shit, just passing along info. You're absolutely correct about SB tactical taking every precaution. We are not talking about replacement straps. We are talking about modifying the brace with a split fix which the ATF says if you do you're not in compliance. If you don't care that's fine. And I don't see how it could be supported in court. But I'm just telling you what the ATF is saying. Braces are 100% on their radar.

tehpwnag3
09-25-19, 13:44
Someone should write a letter to get clarification on the Split Fix legal debate.......settle this once and for all. ;):rolleyes:

jpmuscle
09-25-19, 13:48
FFS people..... just stop.

Folks in the gov literally have labeled everyone on here potential domestic terrorists and people still want to get their panties in a bunch over nonsensical BS.

Maybe try acting like free men just for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
09-25-19, 14:38
Maybe try acting like free men just for once.

Freedom is silly.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-25-19, 17:59
Don't sniff badges and don't really give a shit, just passing along info. You're absolutely correct about SB tactical taking every precaution. We are not talking about replacement straps. We are talking about modifying the brace with a split fix which the ATF says if you do you're not in compliance. If you don't care that's fine. And I don't see how it could be supported in court. But I'm just telling you what the ATF is saying. Braces are 100% on their radar.

You obviously do care, a lot, despite being so wrong.

Bert762
10-25-19, 15:02
Please no letters, people need to leave well enough alone. No mods means no mods, the split fix is a mod over the factory strap.

3ACR_Scout
11-07-19, 15:18
Yikes, I'm no lawyer, but having just decided to try this whole pistol thing, I've been trying to read up on the rules, and their wording is certainly vague. As I read it, it doesn't actually say "no modifications" as everyone (including the aforementioned local ATF agent) always says:

"If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock — for example, configuring the brace so as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube, (thereby creating a length that has no other purpose than to facilitate its use as a stock), removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace — and then in fact shoots the firearm from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock, that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for the purposes of the NFA."

From my understanding, it says that you can't make any modifications that change the function of the brace, either: (1) "configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock" or (2) "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace." That would imply that you could, as a simple example, replace the factory strap with one of identical design that is a different color (which I'm guessing is why SB Tactical sells replacement straps from another manufacturer on their website). Beyond that, it seems open to however they want to interpret it if they were to examine a brace that was not completely factory original.

Anyway, back on topic, the 11.5" barrel seems ideal for this setup, at least until I decide if I want to delve into 300 BLK. I'm curious why BCM hasn't offered CHF (BFH) versions of their 300 BLK barrels, but maybe they weren't sure how big the market would be for that caliber when they decided to expand into it.

themonk
11-07-19, 16:30
Yikes, I'm no lawyer, but having just decided to try this whole pistol thing, I've been trying to read up on the rules, and their wording is certainly vague. As I read it, it doesn't actually say "no modifications" as everyone (including the aforementioned local ATF agent) always says:

"If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock — for example, configuring the brace so as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube, (thereby creating a length that has no other purpose than to facilitate its use as a stock), removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace — and then in fact shoots the firearm from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock, that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for the purposes of the NFA."

From my understanding, it says that you can't make any modifications that change the function of the brace, either: (1) "configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock" or (2) "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace." That would imply that you could, as a simple example, replace the factory strap with one of identical design that is a different color (which I'm guessing is why SB Tactical sells replacement straps from another manufacturer on their website). Beyond that, it seems open to however they want to interpret it if they were to examine a brace that was not completely factory original.

Anyway, back on topic, the 11.5" barrel seems ideal for this setup, at least until I decide if I want to delve into 300 BLK. I'm curious why BCM hasn't offered CHF (BFH) versions of their 300 BLK barrels, but maybe they weren't sure how big the market would be for that caliber when they decided to expand into it.

Just to clarify - The contention was strictly with the SplitFix which stops the two sides of the brace from folding in on each other. This would "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace". You can swap straps to your hearts content.

3ACR_Scout
11-07-19, 17:06
Just to clarify - The contention was strictly with the SplitFix which stops the two sides of the brace from folding in on each other. This would "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace". You can swap straps to your hearts content.
No, I totally get that - my point was just in regards to the responses I usually see on this topic, that say that any modification at all to a brace is prohibited. I don't think that is the ATF's intent, but what they would probably approve of is pretty limited. However, I don't think the SplitFix affects the ability of the SBA3 to function as a brace in any way. The brace works the same way once you release the additional strap at the bottom and extend the strap around your arm. The potential issue is the first part of the letter - that it could be interpreted as "configuring the device for use as a shoulder-stock" by reinforcing the rubber brace. On the flip side, it still wouldn't even come close to how solid the Tailhook loop is (especially the metal version) in its closed position.