PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day, and carry handles

paleone
11-10-08, 03:03
Been shooting ARs for longer than I can remember. It is funny how things change within the AR platform. I was going thru some old boxes of stuff I had packed away and came across an old carry handle with a 4 power optic mounted on it. Really nice little range finder scope with range calculater out to 500 yards.
I was wondering, how many folks if any still mount a optic on the carry handle these days. I mounted this rig on my new colt and was amazed at how much I enjoyed the heads up position when using this setup.
All things evolve with time and the AR is no exception. Today it semms that this method of mounting an optic is tabbo for what ever reason. Most folks disgard the carry handle and mount the optic on the flat top reciever...I myself have done this for years but much to my amazment found this old school method preety neat.
Am I wrong to assume that in a combat situation when you are shooting that a heads up position behing your optic is a good thing??? Both eyes open and aware. Eyes and ears active and going in hot !!!!!!

The Only Place I want to see a liberal is in a Museum