PDA

View Full Version : BCG Problem or Not?

CajunCourier
05-07-19, 19:57
I have a bolt carrier group who's gas key on the right side looks to have a sort of smooth surface and the finish looks somewhat worn. It was like this when new. You can also see a little bit of carbon above and behind the top gas port hole at the edge of where the gas key meets the carrier. Does this seem okay?

For what it's worth, I have shot 200 rounds with this BCG in a new rifle that it came in with no problems, and it is from a reputable company. I've tried to wiggle the gas key at all to make sure it's tight, and there is no movement whatsoever which makes me think there's no leaking. The staking of the gas key screws are quite aggressive as well.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

https://i.imgur.com/DVP6qBk.jpg

Let me know what you think.

georgeib
05-07-19, 21:11
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a single thing wrong with it. Other than, perhaps, that it's too dry and needs some Slip 2000 EWL...

CajunCourier
05-07-19, 21:16
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a single thing wrong with it. Other than, perhaps, that it's too dry and needs some Slip 2000 EWL...

I have some shipping here because no one carries it around here. Unfortunately it won't be here till Thursday at the earliest...
But yeah... maybe I'm making something out of nothing.

tb-av
05-07-19, 22:16
Yeah, the whole thing just looks dry as a bone to me. Maybe it looks different in person but unless it looks like it's wearing to raw metal I wouldn't think there is an issue.

26 Inf
05-07-19, 22:57
Never mind - apparently I was seeing things.

vicious_cb
05-07-19, 23:29
Stop examining your rifle with a magnifying glass. If there arent chunks of metal missing and the rifle is shooting fine then STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.

grizzlyblake
05-08-19, 06:51
Stop examining your rifle with a magnifying glass. If there arent chunks of metal missing and the rifle is shooting fine then STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.

That's awful advice. A man should know his hardware inside and out and be able to spot any potential issues before they develop into serious problems. This goes for guns, cars, house, etc.

I've been a member of this forum for years and it's developed a really strange vibe recently.

It seems like an attitude that if you aren't just blindly shooting your AR like a third worlder with a beat up 1970s AK you aren't in the cool club or something. Guys are chastised for asking about their brand new thousand dollar rifle showing up with scratches and QC issues.

The whole Colt outsourcing thing was amazing to me because guys were legitimately trying to ensure the quality of their rifle, but many users were roasting them with snark saying they shouldn't even be looking to see where their rifle parts came from.

This seems to be accompanied by lots of snarky one liners with text message abbreviations that read like high school Facebook users.

While I can't comment on the OP's BCG I think it's great that he is actually inspecting his weapon and understanding it's function instead of just blasting it until something breaks. That sort of behavior used to be the vibe of this forum - understanding the AR rifle inside and out and becoming a proficient rifleman, not just a gun range goober.

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 08:22
That's awful advice. A man should know his hardware inside and out and be able to spot any potential issues before they develop into serious problems. This goes for guns, cars, house, etc.

I've been a member of this forum for years and it's developed a really strange vibe recently.

It seems like an attitude that if you aren't just blindly shooting your AR like a third worlder with a beat up 1970s AK you aren't in the cool club or something. Guys are chastised for asking about their brand new thousand dollar rifle showing up with scratches and QC issues.

The whole Colt outsourcing thing was amazing to me because guys were legitimately trying to ensure the quality of their rifle, but many users were roasting them with snark saying they shouldn't even be looking to see where their rifle parts came from.

This seems to be accompanied by lots of snarky one liners with text message abbreviations that read like high school Facebook users.

While I can't comment on the OP's BCG I think it's great that he is actually inspecting his weapon and understanding it's function instead of just blasting it until something breaks. That sort of behavior used to be the vibe of this forum - understanding the AR rifle inside and out and becoming a proficient rifleman, not just a gun range goober.

I agree with you. However, in this specific case, perhaps I’m being too anal.

tb-av
05-08-19, 08:42
Somewhere in between where you are and this and you should be GTG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

RVTMaverick
05-08-19, 10:19
What's the other side look like?

I have a bolt carrier group who's gas key on the right side looks to have a sort of smooth surface and the finish looks somewhat worn. It was like this when new. You can also see a little bit of carbon above and behind the top gas port hole at the edge of where the gas key meets the carrier. Does this seem okay?

For what it's worth, I have shot 200 rounds with this BCG in a new rifle that it came in with no problems, and it is from a reputable company. I've tried to wiggle the gas key at all to make sure it's tight, and there is no movement whatsoever which makes me think there's no leaking. The staking of the gas key screws are quite aggressive as well.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

https://i.imgur.com/DVP6qBk.jpg

Let me know what you think.

vicious_cb
05-08-19, 10:38

Obsessing over random tool marks or imperfections is not"understanding your weapon". You will learn more about the AR from SHOOTING THE GUN than going over it with a magnifying glass.

Also that was never the "vibe" around here: this is what M4C used to be about: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?28658-GO-SHOOT-THE-GUN!

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 10:43
What's the other side look like?

I’ll take a pic when I get home from work, but it looks normal.

mark5pt56
05-08-19, 10:53
Doesn't appear to be anything more than wear marks and initial gas leakage. Unless you are seeing gouging inside of the charge handle,I wouldn't worry about it. More than likely just a tad more material on the right side of the key during manufacture, potential slight right holes in BC and/or both. Provided no sharp edges, oil and enjoy. If any, knock them down with a file. The staking on the top should be no more than .025 above the key, as a reference, a 1/16" punch is .062

RVTMaverick
05-08-19, 11:02
Cool.....
Also, I'm Wondering IF you have thought to check and see how your Gas key lines up with the Gas tube, with the Gas tube going into the Gas key? Hopefully it's smooth, if not, she's an easy fix, adjust the gas tube until you're happy with it.. But, be careful NOT to over do it and trash your Gas tube!..

Peace Jeff

I’ll take a pic when I get home from work, but it looks normal.

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 11:12
Cool.....
Also, I'm Wondering IF you have thought to check and see how your Gas key lines up with the Gas tube, with the Gas tube going into the Gas key? Hopefully it's smooth, if not, she's an easy fix, adjust the gas tube until you're happy with it.. But, be careful NOT to over do it and trash your Gas tube!..

Peace Jeff

I did check that, and everything is completely straight.

TomMcC
05-08-19, 15:02
I think there's room for both oogling the details and shooting. It's not an either or situation. Every now and then I inspect my guns fairly closely to make sure things are right. New guys just want to know if what they're seeing is gtg or not.

OP, your carrier looked ok to me.

Eurodriver
05-08-19, 15:56
Has that BCG ever been fired?

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 15:57
Has that BCG ever been fired?

It hadnt been shot until I put 200 rounds through the rifle the other day with no issues. The finish was like that when I got it. Why?

Randall
05-08-19, 18:36
I think it looks fine. No harm in asking, you dont know what you dont know

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 20:03

Here are two better pics. The bottom one is the "shiny" side (though it's more like it's more faintly finished rather than shiny), and the top is the other side of the BCG.

TomMcC
05-08-19, 20:20
It's just not machined as nicely as the other side. Look in your upper receiver...any weird wear going on there?

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 20:22
It's just not machined as nicely as the other side. Look in your upper receiver...any weird wear going on there?

Nope. Everything looks normal. For what it’s worth, the more faintly finished side is completely smooth. I don’t feel any machining marks.

TomMcC
05-08-19, 20:41
I'd say its strictly cosmetic. Just keep an eye on your upper where that side rides. If it hasn't changed in a thousand or 2 rounds I'd forget about it.

CajunCourier
05-08-19, 20:49
I'd say its strictly cosmetic. Just keep an eye on your upper where that side rides. If it hasn't changed in a thousand or 2 rounds I'd forget about it.

Yeah. I noticed the finish being faint on that side even before I shot it, so I don't think it's wear from shooting. I think it was just finished like that.

3 AE
05-09-19, 15:01
Cajun, Do these two things.

1) "GO SHOOT THE DAMN GUN!"

And

2) "GO OVER IT WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, NOW AND THEN."

Now there, is everyone happy now?

Stickman
05-09-19, 21:32
Most BCGs don't look all that pretty, machine work is often rough, especially inside, and nicks and dings are common.

05-09-19, 21:36
TomMcC is spot on. Shoot it and keep an eye on contact areas. Will most likely smooth self out. Not crazy for trigger group and BCG areas to smooth out.

NWPilgrim
05-09-19, 22:02
I figure marks like that is from having a few hundred of them in a bin while being assembled sliding around each other. Sort of like the disclaimer Okay has on its dry film mags. Cosmetic, no effect in function, keep shooting.

CajunCourier
05-10-19, 06:48
TomMcC is spot on. Shoot it and keep an eye on contact areas. Will most likely smooth self out. Not crazy for trigger group and BCG areas to smooth out.

What about when it's smooth already? The BCG was like that before it was shot, so I'm hoping it has nothing to do with contact areas. There's no wear in the upper from 200 rounds, at least.

TomMcC
05-10-19, 09:48
I doubt it's going to smooth out much, maybe the high points will get polished a bit. The steel gas key is much harder than any part of the aluminium upper receiver or charging handle that it could possibly rub on, just watch those parts for any undo wear for a while. If nothing happens you should be gtg. I doubt anything will happen, it's not like it's a big burr hanging out there to snag and grind your upper.

CajunCourier
05-10-19, 10:43
I doubt it's going to smooth out much, maybe the high points will get polished a bit. The steel gas key is much harder than any part of the aluminium upper receiver or charging handle that it could possibly rub on, just watch those parts for any undo wear for a while. If nothing happens you should be gtg. I doubt anything will happen, it's not like it's a big burr hanging out there to snag and grind your upper.

It’s already completely smooth, the machining is good, it’s just the finish. Sounds like nothing but cosmetic though, especially considering it was like that new.

TomMcC
05-10-19, 11:25
I meant it's never going to look like the other side. A nice flat machined surface.

GHMann
05-13-19, 18:16
If there is no where on the upper then the where on the BCG must have occurred during the manufacturing process. No where on the upper also means it has worn in as much as it's going to. I don't think it's a problem, other than cosmetic.

RVTMaverick
05-14-19, 09:57
LOL... I'll Fix this for You>>>>
If there is no wear on the upper then the wear on the BCG must have occurred during the manufacturing process. No wear on the upper also means it has worn in as much as it's going to. I don't think it's a problem, other than cosmetic.

26 Inf
05-14-19, 10:59
Hey, RVT: Didn't you just break internet rule #4 - Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

Mods, as much as it would amuse me to see this ramble on for 30 or 40 pages, as they say in the newspaper business: 'put it to bed.'

RVTMaverick
05-14-19, 11:39
OPPS, Sumtymes, I just cannnnn't help meself :)

Hey, RVT: Didn't you just break internet rule #4 - Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

Mods, as much as it would amuse me to see this ramble on for 30 or 40 pages, as they say in the newspaper business: 'put it to bed.'