PDA

View Full Version : Vltor RE-A5 --- availability zero - Now available

tb-av
05-08-19, 08:20
I ordered one of these from Optics Planet back in Jan. They have no idea when they will arrive. Looked on Vltor site and they don;t have any. Is this something that has been phased out for replacement? I wouldn't think so.

Anyone have any inside info? If they are not going to be available does anyone offer an alternative that I can still use the A5 spring and buffers in?

05-08-19, 08:38
BCM also sells an A5 “intermediate” extension. Rainier carries it also. You can check Midway for buffers if BCM doesn’t have the right buffer in stock. SOLGW sells them also, I think. There’s one in the EE.

tb-av
05-08-19, 08:45
The problem is I bought the springs and buffers so all I need is the receiver. So are the BCM and Ranier directly interchangeable?

sniperfrog
05-08-19, 09:09
I back ordered an Vltor A5 extension from Brownells back in August of last year. They just emailed a few days ago that they came back in stock and asked me if I still wanted it (I do).

05-08-19, 09:11
BCM Intermediate is interchangeable with A5. I only mentioned Rainier as a place to buy the BCM RE. They don’t make their own, AFIK.

Edit: I buy all my A5 tubes on the EE here.

tb-av
05-08-19, 09:25
@sniperfrog ... that's a good sign. Mine is on order from OpticsPlanet
---

Ok, I see so the BCM is the interchangeable version. I think I see that one in the EE you mentioned but it's gone now. I think I'm just going to get the BCM version. They have them in stock for the same price as the 'discount' from OP. Thanks for the info!

AKDoug
05-08-19, 09:30
Vltor made a Facebook post that a new batch of tubes just went out.

Wake27
05-08-19, 09:31
Both of my A5 guns have the BCM tubes and I just got a third based off of the responses from my thread the other week. The BCM tube has more positions for stock adjustment and Grant carries them. I believe you can also use AR10 tubes.

VIP3R 237
05-08-19, 09:52
Primary arms usually has the bcm kit in stock, and it comes with the QD end plate

26 Inf
05-08-19, 10:22
I have one of these, not sure where they are in stock at this time:

https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-enhanced-receiver-extension-sr25-m110

Eurodriver
05-08-19, 10:39
Lol January? It’s 2019 who has patience for that?

You backorder - I cancel.

sniperfrog
05-08-19, 11:31
Lol January? It’s 2019 who has patience for that?

You backorder - I cancel.

Yeah, if I knew I was going to wait 9 months I would not have ordered it. I had forgotten about it until Brownells emailed me that it was back in stock.

Todd.K
05-08-19, 11:35
Any of the "longer" 308 carbine receiver extensions are the same length as A5.

Armalite (AR-10)
LMT (MWS)
KAC (SR-25)

AKDoug
05-08-19, 11:46

Armalite (AR-10)
LMT (MWS)
KAC (SR-25)

Thanks for that info.. I like the LMT extensions.

markm
05-08-19, 13:33
Vltor made a Facebook post that a new batch of tubes just went out.

I seent that on instagram.

titsonritz
05-08-19, 14:38
I have more BCM tubes than I do Vltor tubes and have never had an issue finding them.
https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Receiver-Extension-A5-Buffer-Tub-p/bcm-intermediate-re.htm
https://www.primaryarms.com/bravo-company-manufacturing-a5-buffer-tube-for-ar-15

titsonritz
05-08-19, 14:39

Armalite (AR-10)
LMT (MWS)
KAC (SR-25)

Or Magpul when they are available

Mr McSimon
05-08-19, 14:54
I just called VLTOR just yesterday to complain that I've been waiting to see these come in stock for the last 3 months or longer. They basically told me to make a backorder and wait in line because every new batch they make goes to filling backorders first, and that the eta if ordering directly from them is a 3 month (longer) wait. I have a couple of the BCM versions on BCM lowers, and I've used VLTOR on a couple of other builds, but I won't be waiting any longer for the VLTOR. Frankly if a company can't keep their product in stock and keep their backorders to a minimum, I'd rather buy from somebody else that can and does. You'd think they would have figured it out by now, its not like this is a new issue. Good for them for making such a great item, but that's no good if customers can't ever get their hands on one. Here's to you BCM, you'll be hearing from me very soon.

fledge
05-08-19, 16:00
To add to info: if you are planning to use a magpul PRS gen 3 or UBR gen 2 stock, the tube included with stock is A5 length.

VIP3R 237
05-08-19, 17:07
Solgw just posted on insta that they have a bunch in stock

AndyLate
05-08-19, 17:56
FWIW, the LMT 308 receiver extension part number is LMP259C.

Andy

AKDoug
05-09-19, 01:07
FWIW, the LMT 308 receiver extension part number is LMP259C.

Andy

Got one on order. I really like the LMT carbine one I already have. I guess I'll piece together a rogue A5..

EzGoingKev
05-09-19, 01:42
I have one of these, not sure where they are in stock at this time:

AFAIK you can only get them directly from Magpul.

26 Inf
05-09-19, 09:48
AFAIK you can only get them directly from Magpul.

That is where I got mine. I've noticed that Magpul ships fast - but that doesn't make any difference if they aren't in stock.

Hammer_Man
05-09-19, 11:41
I used an LMT 308 extension with my A5 system, and it works great.

titsonritz
05-09-19, 13:24
When was the last it time anyone saw the Magpul version available?

MQ105
05-09-19, 14:10
The BCM version is available:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Receiver-Extension-A5-Buffer-Tub-p/bcm-intermediate-re.htm

titsonritz
05-09-19, 16:30
The BCM version is available:

I don't think I've ever seen it unavailable.

Randall
05-09-19, 19:10
I don't think I've ever seen it unavailable.

Lol, for real, thats the way I always go.

Henry Porter
05-10-19, 06:39
Forward Controls Design has the Vltor extensions in stock, if you prefer them over the BCM version. I have both and see no functional difference.

controlledpairs2
05-10-19, 06:47
Does anyone know where the various buffers are in stock? Thanks

rm06
05-10-19, 06:50

Midway shows available on almost all buffer weights (https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=vltor+a5&userItemsPerPage=48)

controlledpairs2
05-10-19, 08:41
Thanks much. Don’t know how i missed midway in my search.

556Cliff
05-10-19, 09:18
Forward Controls Design has the Vltor extensions in stock, if you prefer them over the BCM version. I have both and see no functional difference.

I do prefer the Vltor A5 receiver extensions to the BCM and Magpul versions. The Vltor REs have a nicer finish and are much smoother internally.

They must have went fast because they were out of stock just now when I looked.

titsonritz
05-10-19, 11:49

FCD is pretty consistent on them.

http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/Vltor-A5-Buffer_p_75.html

titsonritz
05-10-19, 11:56
They must have went fast because they were out of stock just now when I looked.

They must have gone real fast because I looked for them at about 0100 PST and again @ 0900. I'm wondering if he saw the standard version and thought it was an A5.
http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/Vltor-RE-1-AR15-Carbine-Receiver-Extension_p_73.html

EzGoingKev
05-10-19, 12:53
Midway puts them on sale pretty regularly. If you are not in a rush put the one you want on your wishlist or in your cart. When it goes on sale you will get an email notifying you.

26 Inf
05-18-19, 12:37
ar15 safespace has the tube and kit with a5h2buffer in stock.

$50 for the tube $110.00 for the kit.

https://ar15safespace.com/shop/vltor-re-a5-receiver-extension-7-position/?mc_cid=b974b9133e&mc_eid=6459469ab4

tb-av
05-18-19, 12:58
I just got my notice from Optics Planet that it's on the way. So I guess Vltor has got all the backlog covered.

ETA: and don't forget to watch for Mem. Day sales.

jwfuhrman
05-18-19, 16:23
http://store.jfarmscompany.com/parts-gear/grips-pads-stocks/vltor-receiver-extension-tube-fits-m4ar-15-stocks-7-position-black-re-a5

556Cliff
05-24-19, 11:50
Available now at Brownells. > https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-a5-mil-spec-buffer-tube-prod55056.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=VLTOR%2bWEAPON%2bSYSTEMS

And there gone... Boy that was quick.

BVickery
05-24-19, 20:21
I got the tube, have a Green Sprinco incoming. Just need to find the A5H2 buffer now.

RHINOWSO
05-24-19, 20:26
I got the tube, have a Green Sprinco incoming. Just need to find the A5H2 buffer now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/248917/vltor-a5-h2-standard-weight-53-oz-buffer-ar-15-carbine

HKGuns
05-25-19, 08:24
I ordered one of these from Optics Planet back in Jan.

There is your problem. I don’t order from that miserable place.

BVickery
05-27-19, 08:47
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/248917/vltor-a5-h2-standard-weight-53-oz-buffer-ar-15-carbine

Thank you! Actually, upon research on Forum, found out A5H3 would be ideal for my rifle, and Midway has them on sale for $40 right now

RHINOWSO
05-27-19, 19:53
Yeah, people always flip out when they can't get instant satisfaction - these VLTOR A5 products (like many things in the industry) seem to ebb & flow with production runs and other factors.

But the Amazon generation thinks everything is 2-day free shipping, no exceptions. ;)

BVickery
05-28-19, 14:43
Yeah, people always flip out when they can't get instant satisfaction - these VLTOR A5 products (like many things in the industry) seem to ebb & flow with production runs and other factors.

But the Amazon generation thinks everything is 2-day free shipping, no exceptions. ;)

It is getting worse. I have 100 students, and some expect me to know every detail about their grade. What they got, what they are missing etc.

bigjoe7757
06-04-19, 03:43
There’s a BCM set up for sale in the used parts forum.

Eurodriver
06-04-19, 07:16

Yeah. Companies that can’t keep up with the times are going to fall by the wayside.

If you take more than 3 business days just to ship I cancel my order. If you “release” a product and don’t ship it to distributors for 6 months I swear it off.

You act like same day shipping is a bad thing. These companies that don’t even list stock status on their site (Ahem - Larue) are losers.

everready73
06-04-19, 08:13
Yeah. Companies that can’t keep up with the times are going to fall by the wayside.

If you take more than 3 business days just to ship I cancel my order. If you “release” a product and don’t ship it to distributors for 6 months I swear it off.

You act like same day shipping is a bad thing. These companies that don’t even list stock status on their site (Ahem - Larue) are losers.

I think Euro has a point here. I understand production runs etc, but it seems as if VLTOR is leaving a lot of profit on the table by not ever having inventory. The market is slow and they still cannot catch up.

I realize they might have govt contracts etc, but adding an extra machine or two to run high demand parts would be a good idea IMO

Maybe they are intentionally keeping inventory where it is so people buy into the whole exclusivity thing. If they are always out of stock people will think it must be good stuff. It is, I dont think they have anything to prove, just wish i could find their stuff easier

themonk
06-04-19, 08:20
I think Euro has a point here. I understand production runs etc, but it seems as if VLTOR is leaving a lot of profit on the table by not ever having inventory. The market is slow and they still cannot catch up.

I realize they might have govt contracts etc, but adding an extra machine or two to run high demand parts would be a good idea IMO

Maybe they are intentionally keeping inventory where it is so people buy into the whole exclusivity thing. If they are always out of stock people will think it must be good stuff. It is, I dont think they have anything to prove, just wish i could find their stuff easier

I completely agree with you and Euro. That being said, VLTOR has always had issues like this.

The fundamental problem is that VLTOR has a patent on a5 buffer and no one else is making them. I have a feeling when the patent is up and other companies get involved in making the buffers the system will take off.

RHINOWSO
06-04-19, 08:29
Sure, VLTOR could have more machines up and running, but I take the fact that they are still in business means they likely have finance people who have run the numbers and told them how to remain profitable.

Yeah, you are pissed you can't buy their stuff like you buy sanitary wipes on Amazon, but I venture the market for those is a lot bigger than for A5 parts.

From being in business myself, the customer is always impatient, wants to pay the least, and has no idea what it takes to make things, nor what it cost.

Besides, the guys who only rock 6920s and G19s shouldn't have these issues? ;)

titsonritz
06-04-19, 11:54
I have a feeling when the patent is up and other companies get involved in making the buffers the system will take off.

Along with the knock off turds that fall apart.

NYH1
06-04-19, 11:58
When I wanted to switch one of my carbines from the carbine to the intermediate system, I could find the complete VLTOR system anywhere. I went with a BCM intermediate RE, VLTOR A5H2 buffer, Sprinco green spring and B5 SOPMOD Bravo stock (prefer over VLTOR anyways). System works great.

NYH1.

bigjoe7757
06-04-19, 12:39
Eactly I have the same, BCM tube, Sprinco green spring, A5H2 buffer and a PWS castle nut and QD end plate. Works great and I wouldn’t think it’s any different then the Vltor one.

markm
06-04-19, 14:52
Sure, VLTOR could have more machines up and running, but I take the fact that they are still in business means they likely have finance people who have run the numbers and told them how to remain profitable.

Vltor is a strange place. There are all kinds of projects going on variety of machines and processes in multiple buildings. We got to tour the place years ago. I'm not sure how their project scheduling works, but they do run all kinds of other military (grenade launchers) and aircraft contracts in the plant.

markm
06-04-19, 14:53
Along with the knock off turds that fall apart.

Yep. You don't want to be scooping up Spikes tactical or Heavy Buffers interpretations of this system.

RHINOWSO
06-04-19, 16:43
Vltor is a strange place. There are all kinds of projects going on variety of machines and processes in multiple buildings. We got to tour the place years ago. I'm not sure how their project scheduling works, but they do run all kinds of other military (grenade launchers) and aircraft contracts in the plant.

I'd venture to say military and aircraft contracts pay more than the typical AR-dude with the oddball build that he's thought about for 6-months, but will shop around from 5 different places to save $2.37.

titsonritz
06-04-19, 16:46

And don't even get me started on the Fortis.

Eurodriver
06-04-19, 19:50
I'd venture to say military and aircraft contracts pay more than the typical AR-dude with the oddball build that he's thought about for 6-months, but will shop around from 5 different places to save $2.37.

Sometimes, I hate you.

But then you say things like this and I’m kinda turned on...

TMS951
06-06-19, 08:27
Per the usual the receiver extensions and full kits are both in stock at BCM.

Nagpur makes the receiver extensions too.

What is the obsession with the Vltor ones? I have both and prefer the BCM.

tb-av
06-06-19, 08:54
If you read my OP I was looking for suggestions. I ordered one that got back ordered forever. I was unaware of others. The one I have "ain't broke and didn't need fixin' " So I ordered another. Totally forgot about about it and one day realized something must be wrong. Within a week of my post Vltor released a ton of them to resellers.

If I ever get another I might try a BCM. It's not an obsession. Like you say, you even have Vltor. I'm yet to -need- something other than the Vltor and it seems like a quality item to me.

556Cliff
06-06-19, 10:06
Per the usual the receiver extensions and full kits are both in stock at BCM.

Nagpur makes the receiver extensions too.

What is the obsession with the Vltor ones? I have both and prefer the BCM.

I have the Mapul, BCM and both of the Vltor optons. The Vltor has the nicest finish inside and out plus the laser etched stock position numbers on top of the tube. The BCM is second best as far as finish and Magpul comes in third.

But in this forum function is more important and they all work fine.

I prefer the Vltor RE-10/A5SR 6 position receiver extension because it's compatible with more stocks.

titsonritz
05-18-21, 17:59
With all the panic buying going on these days, I’ve been surprised to see A5 components consistently in stock.

556Cliff
05-18-21, 18:11
With all the panic buying going on these days, I’ve been surprised to see A5 components consistently in stock.

Magpul A5 compatible receiver extensions are out of stock... Not sure how long they've been out of stock though?

Warp
05-19-21, 22:26

Agreed.

For seemingly months now I have been able to find the tubes and the buffers in stock somewhere I am comfortable buying from at any time. For example, right now, Primary Arms has a bunch of A5 buffers in stock and BCM has an Intermediate/A5 8 position RE in stock. The springs as usual are easy to find, probably if you're buying now grab a green Sprinco from PA along with the buffer. I'm sure other places do too. I even put one together recently that used the BCM A5 RE, vltor A5 buffer, and Geissele Super 42 rifle length spring. ha