PDA

View Full Version : Which Ambi Charging Handle?

Alex V
05-08-19, 12:51
With ambidextrous becoming more and more prevalent I figured I would jump on the bandwagon and see what it's all about.

I am having trouble deciding between the BCM Gunfighter and the Giessele Airborne. Currently I am running non ambi BCM CHs in all my ARs, both 5.56 and 7.62 and I like them. I have no experience with Giessele CHs.

What does M4C say?

Thanks!

Stickman
05-08-19, 12:59
BCM and Raptor are both solid.

ETA- I left out Geissele.

wigbones
05-08-19, 13:05
Between the BCM and Geissele Airborne I prefer the Airborne.

RHINOWSO
05-08-19, 13:05
Much love for the Geissele SCH (optic equipped rifles) and the smaller latched ACH (RDS rifles), but I never pay full price and stocked up on the 50% off Xmas sale. Before that the most I had paid was $57 for one.

The new BCMs look nice (older versions pinched the #$%& out of my fingers often), but as I'm good with Geisseles offerings, I haven't used one.

MountainRaven
05-08-19, 13:10
I <3 the Geissele. SCH or ACH, doesn't matter. I like them both.

I've also used the Raptor. The Raptor's fine. If I had one, I probably wouldn't feel any great need to buy a Geissele. But I'd rather have the Geissele, all the same, and would probably end up buying a G, anyway.

If BCM had come out with their newer charging handle before the Geissele charging handle, I'd have probably bought and tried one by now. But I haven't, because I have no complaints about the Geissele and see no reason to go with something I haven't tried when I like the Geissele so well.

Like Rhino, I've used the older BCM charging handles and got my fingers pinched every now and again.

TexasAggie2005
05-08-19, 13:14
Much love for the Geissele SCH (optic equipped rifles) and the smaller latched ACH (RDS rifles), but I never pay full price and stocked up on the 50% off Xmas sale. Before that the most I had paid was $57 for one.

This.

drtywk
05-08-19, 13:29
In order: Raptor, Badger Ordnance, and BCM. The Raptor family is very well thought out and extremely robust. I also like that they offer a vented version for suppressed use. The Badger ones are excellent as well. Very smooth, radiused lines, but on the upper end of the price spectrum. BCM speaks for itself and I really like the current generation for being lower profile than the previous versions and the cost is extremely fair for what they are.

I have had the Geissele SCH and the Airborne version and I'm not a fan or either, they are bulky and expensive. Plus I refuse to give Bill any more of my money for how they have handled a specific government contract.

markm
05-08-19, 13:32
BCM all the way. My reason is that I can't stand MASSIVE charging handles. And their current model is awesome. We run one on Pappabears SPR. Solid, good size, and works right.

If you like monster charging handles, no problem, but my sternum hates them.

26 Inf
05-08-19, 14:40
I have in addition to regular USGI Raptor(s), a Geissele Super, BCM Gunfighter(s) and a Geissele Airborne. They are listed and pictured in order of preference:

I prefer the Raptor because of the flat lever design, it seems to work best regardless of whether you are knife-edging or finger hooking the lever. They are common enough that you can generally find them steeply discounted from the 84.00 msrp if you shop around.

The Geissele SCH levers are the second best IMO, with the light curve detracting from the comfort of use. The Geissele's also seem to run closer to msrp across the board.

The BCM/VLTOR that I have comes in third IMO. The main reason is the step down from the end of the levers to the narrower inner portion, this makes it less comfortable, especially without gloves. Probably one of the reasons it was redesigned. I have two of this version and haven't used a newer one.

The Geissele ACH levers are smaller (obviously) and for a lefty using their right hand this makes it a little harder to get on with a FA receiver.

JMO.

Hop
05-08-19, 14:51
I have a butt load of BCM but am transitioning away from them. I think they were all medium size ones. They jab me in the chest when taking a class or doing a run-n-gun event. The Raptor works much better for me. I did just try the new Geissele at the Indy NRAAM and thought it was fantastic.

Diamondback
05-08-19, 16:18
To be honest, and maybe I'm a bit of a freakshow here, but a basic milspec CH with the Badger 249-02 latch works with either hand for me, hooking either index or ring fingerpad through the hole in the middle. I also have a Raptor that I'm impressed with and is about to replace the Badger in my "special snowflake build," and then the Badger goes into the pile of parts being gathered for my M4gery.

SteveL
05-08-19, 16:33
I have several Raptors and have been very happy with them. The flat end on the levers keeps them from being uncomfortable when the rifle is slung.

sgtrock82
05-08-19, 16:36
I have a Raptor and a Geissele SCH. Were I to buy another Id probably buy the Raptor again, mostly because it doesnt poke me in the chest or back.

I bought the Geissele at an LGS to replace a BCM gunfighter(single side, medium) Because it seemed to be trying to bore a hole through me. Also If my hands were a bit beat up from work, which is frequent, the BCMs aggressive serrations would aggravate them further. The Geissele SCH is a finely made piece, their serrations are perfect IMO, barely noticeable until real pressure is applied. The only reason its number 2 is that it is ever so slightly pokey, but not at an annoying level. I certainly dont regret buying it, like I said Its very well made.

The ACH seems a bit small but Ive only fooled around with them. Id be tempted to try one if the price was right and if I actually needed a third ambi charging handle

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

ALCOAR
05-08-19, 18:10
ACH is my favorite

b-mac72
05-08-19, 19:08
I have both the BCM 4X4 and the Geissele ACH. I prefer the ACH, but both work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RustyIron
05-08-19, 21:28
I am having trouble deciding between the BCM Gunfighter and the Giessele Airborne.

I have no experience with BCM's. I have a couple Raptors, and they blow generic charging handles out of the water. Most recently, I got a Geissele ACH, and I like it even BETTER than the Raptors.

As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I'm a knucklehead who buys extra parts and doesn't use them. I have an extra Airborne Charging Handle in the original packaging... and even the original envelope that Geissele sent it in. I don't expect to use it and wouldn't mind recovering some of my outlay. If you decide to go with an ACH, PM me.

TMS951
05-08-19, 21:33
The ACH is perfect. Geiselle stuff goes on sale like clock work. Never pay full retail for thier stuf. The ACH gets sold for between 20-40% off regularly.

The Raptor is second best. I used it prior to the ACH

I bought a BCM to check out. I guess it’s fine. I’d never buy another and put it on a beater gun, but only because there are better choices, not because it’s terrible.

titsonritz
05-08-19, 23:12
I didn't care for either the old or new BCM versions or the Geissele Super CH (might be different on an optic equipped rifle) but really like their Airborne CH, my favorite is the Raptor, I just got one of their SL versions and looking forward to trying it out.

bigshoe83
05-09-19, 07:33
I really like the Raptor but also have a couple of BCM of different sizes and they are nice too. Never tried a Geissele but I would like to at some point.

Alex V
05-09-19, 07:52
Thank you gentlemen. Looks like Ill be ordering an ACH. Hopefully there will be a sale on Memorial day.

rm06
05-09-19, 09:04
Thank you gentlemen. Looks like Ill be ordering an ACH. Hopefully there will be a sale on Memorial day.

Solid choice. I don't have much experience with different ambi charging handles but the ACH is far and away the best I've tried

tehpwnag3
05-09-19, 09:44
The new BCM Gen2 Ambi is great. I prefer the 3x3.

Renegade0100
05-09-19, 10:02
The Raptor is the best of the players IMO, but the ACH will serve you equally as well.

MountainRaven
05-09-19, 13:09

I bet there will be.

556Cliff
05-10-19, 09:15
The new BCM Gen2 Ambi is great. I prefer the 3x3.

I actually prefer the original BCM Gen 1 versions. Vltor was supposed to continue making them according to the last email I received from them about it.

rpoL98
05-10-19, 16:57
I actually prefer the original BCM Gen 1 versions. Vltor was supposed to continue making them according to the last email I received from them about it.
i also prefer the BCM Gen 1 ambi version. when the newer model was introduced, and they were having clearance sales on the Gen 1, I stocked up.

another CH that is nice, but pricey though, is the Rainier Arms Avalanche. I have that for some of my AR-15 uppers and some of my AR-10 uppers. Also, I also have a Badger Ordnance CH for an AR-10, but they have an AR-15 version also.

Hammer_Man
05-10-19, 17:14
+1 for the ACH. I use it on my SPR type build, which has a scope mounted to it. I prefer smaller charging handles, and it allows me to easily cycle the bcg (even with the scope in the way) without being obnoxiously large.

Iraqgunz
05-10-19, 17:29
I find it hard to believe a person who has been here this long, wouldn't know how to use the search feature and the multiple discussions which have taken place about the various ambi-handles.

With ambidextrous becoming more and more prevalent I figured I would jump on the bandwagon and see what it's all about.

I am having trouble deciding between the BCM Gunfighter and the Giessele Airborne. Currently I am running non ambi BCM CHs in all my ARs, both 5.56 and 7.62 and I like them. I have no experience with Giessele CHs.

What does M4C say?

Thanks!

acrocat
05-10-19, 19:49
I just swapped out a Geissele ACH for one of these in my SR15 CQB Mod 2. I only shoot that rifle suppressed and so far, it does seem to have an edge over my Geissele ACH as far as gas mitigation when shooting indoors; however, gas was never that bad before on that rifle with a full sized 556 QDC. The Gen 2 supposedly addresses the complaints that some people had with the Gen 1 sometimes coming unlatched. So far, so good but I haven't used it enough to know if the change will be permanent.

https://www.tacticallink.com/Armageddon-Tactical-GMS-15-Ambidextrous-Charging-Handle-for-AR15.html

prepare
05-10-19, 20:01
In order: Raptor, Badger Ordnance, and BCM. The Raptor family is very well thought out and extremely robust. I also like that they offer a vented version for suppressed use. The Badger ones are excellent as well. Very smooth, radiused lines, but on the upper end of the price spectrum. BCM speaks for itself and I really like the current generation for being lower profile than the previous versions and the cost is extremely fair for what they are.

I have had the Geissele SCH and the Airborne version and I'm not a fan or either, they are bulky and expensive. Plus I refuse to give Bill any more of my money for how they have handled a specific government contract.
What the deal with the gov contract?

rpoL98
05-10-19, 20:07
... Plus I refuse to give Bill any more of my money for how they have handled a specific government contract.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?203230-Geissele-URG-I-up-for-pre-order/page27&p=2706014#post2706014

markm
05-11-19, 14:14
I'm surprised at the amount of guys using the massive maxi pads with wings.

https://i.imgur.com/TgziP3H.jpg

556Cliff
05-11-19, 15:45
I'm surprised at the amount of guys using the massive maxi pads with wings.

I originally liked the Mod 4 medium latch but I would probably go with the Mod 5 short latch if Vltor starts making them again.

bigkracka
05-12-19, 20:14
Raptor. Everything else is a distant second.

RWH24
05-13-19, 00:17
I have several Raptors and have been very happy with them. The flat end on the levers keeps them from being uncomfortable when the rifle is slung.

Raptors and BCM, almost bought the Geissele Airborne instead of the Raptor LT which is on an AR-15 pistol in 5.56. BCM's on AR carbines.

Pi3
05-13-19, 13:45
Raptor.
Especially when shooting left handed.

GHMann
05-13-19, 18:01
I have a Raptor and BCM. They are both good.

BoyScout4Life
05-13-19, 19:22
Between the BCM and Geissele Airborne I prefer the Airborne.

+1 I love my airborne model.

rpoL98
05-13-19, 19:26
another AR-15 ambi is the Troy. has controls that's about the size of USGI mil-spec, but ambi small paddles. goes on sale every now and then at PriArms for about $60, at least that's what it was a few years back.

another option to consider, especially if you don't want BIG control surfaces, paddles.

MWAG19919
05-14-19, 10:32
Airborne is better than the BCM gunfighter in every way. Better texturing, the curvature is more ergonomic, the latches are smoother to actuate (ESPECIALLY the right side latch), and the gas buster lip is larger. I think the Airborne is $10 or so more but if you’re the type of person to spend that kind of money on a charging handle it’s a negligible difference IMO.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ruVmiEm

tehpwnag3
05-14-19, 11:05
Thanks for posting the side-by-side comparison. Any rear BUIS interference with the taller gas lip?

Airborne is better than the BCM gunfighter in every way. Better texturing, the curvature is more ergonomic, the latches are smoother to actuate (ESPECIALLY the right side latch), and the gas buster lip is larger. I think the Airborne is $10 or so more but if you’re the type of person to spend that kind of money on a charging handle it’s a negligible difference IMO.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ruVmiEm

tonyxcom
05-14-19, 11:30
I prefer the BCM over the Airborne. My finger doesn't feel as secure on the Airborne, the angle makes your finger roll away.
Raptor is still the best when shooting as an actual lefty.

fingerguns
05-14-19, 13:46
I love my Airborne. Granted I didn't need it but had some spare cash laying around when G put them on sale.

MWAG19919
05-14-19, 13:51
Thanks for posting the side-by-side comparison. Any rear BUIS interference with the taller gas lip?

None. I use MBUS Gen 2 (the big clunky polymer ones) and there's no interference. My dad's kino has the ACH pictured and there's no interference with the MBUS Pro rear. The lip interfaces nicely with the upper receiver.

TexasAggie2005
05-14-19, 15:48

If using Magpul's Pro LR rear, yes, there is interference.

My thread on the issue with pics (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?189855-User-Beware-Potential-Issue-with-Magpul-LR-Sight-Geissele-Charging-Handle&highlight=)

Alex V
05-14-19, 21:39
I find it hard to believe a person who has been here this long, wouldn't know how to use the search feature and the multiple discussions which have taken place about the various ambi-handles.

Ouch IG. Very ouch.

I did search, including using Google with "site:m4carbine.net (search topic)" and was unable to find anything recent. Opinions change with times and I was looking to get current information.

Ohio_Shooter
05-18-19, 14:34
I have one of the older BCM Mod 4's and a 2 of the new BCM Mod 4's. It took me awhile to warm up to the new version, but now I really like it because of its low profile. None of my BCM CH are ambi. I recently got a Geissele Airborne and absolutely love it! I don't think either is a bad option, it all comes down to your personal preferences. It helped getting the Airborne CH for 30% off too!

chef8489
05-18-19, 14:54
I have the Geissele super on my current build and love it. I have not had any experience with the ACH yet but it will go on my new build. I also like the raptor, but geissele won over for me.

Wolf11B
05-18-19, 15:35
I am all for the Geissele airborne, no issues and love it.

bigjoe7757
05-19-19, 03:35
I have had both the BCM and Geissele but I prefer the Raptor.

bigkracka
05-20-19, 20:02
Ouch IG. Very ouch.

I did search, including using Google with "site:m4carbine.net (search topic)" and was unable to find anything recent. Opinions change with times and I was looking to get current information.

Ignore Debbie downer. 3 pages so far obviously people want to talk about charge handles.

bigjoe7757
05-20-19, 20:16
Being a lefty I have used raptors in all my rifles for a while now. I was so excited when they were announced a few years ago. I actually was lucky enough to get on the initial release and grabbed one of the first 100 sold. I had a geissele and didn’t like the curved front, I like the flat front of the raptor because it gives me more to grab when charging from the left side only. I have never own the BCM but I tried it and would be my second choice for sure. My Ambi CH ranking is as follows

1. Raptor
2. BCM
3. Geissele

gaucho1
05-23-19, 12:13
I am looking for Geissele ACH charging handles on sale this memorial day but have not found anything.

When does the Geissele sale kick in?

Any other good source?

Thank You

Diamondback
05-23-19, 12:40
I am looking for Geissele ACH charging handles on sale this memorial day but have not found anything.

When does the Geissele sale kick in?

Any other good source?

Thank You

Sales start tomorrow, stated right on Geissele's page header.

gaucho1
05-23-19, 19:58
Sales start tomorrow, stated right on Geissele's page header.

Thank You Sir

Just ordered two......real savings with free shipping:cool:

Xbox and ARs
05-24-19, 01:40
I picked up a Raptor LT last week for under $50. Hard to pass up on that deal.

Pi3
05-24-19, 10:55
https://geissele.com/airborne-charging-handle.html

coachjenorris
07-07-19, 21:31
I plan on getting a Radian LT in Stealth Grey.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

10MMGary
07-11-19, 20:45
I believe it was due to a lawsuit settlement of some type, but in any case several years back I was able to grab some really good quality CH's with the name "Freedom Bone" and marked AXTF which I assume is the manufacture. They proved to be as good as any higher end CH's available at the time and the price was so good I could not pass. Then they were gone not to be found any where. I have also a bought few original BCM AMBI models and a single Geissele first gen /run/batch what not model. I'm serious hobbyist and life long shooter. Once I was willing to pay over $50.00 a piece for a CH as a hobbyist it came down to a known quality company feel & price. Being a left handed left eye dominant AMBI is a must and I have never felt a stock CH that I liked. As a 62 year old self admitted change stuff type I really like a quality CH. Since not good & too chicken at being a criminal & not allowed or interested hookers alcohol or blow nice accessories are one of my safe legal vices. Of course strippers are okay and allowed but it seems they all want money and are not looking for friendship or like to talk gun & ammo.with a fat old white guys all that much.

Diamondback
07-11-19, 20:50
AXTS is Radian's old name, the Freedom Bone is a gas-vented version of the Raptor for suppressed use.

Spiff_P239
07-12-19, 11:00
I’m a big fan of the Geissele ACH myself.

titsonritz
07-12-19, 12:14
I believe it was due to a lawsuit settlement of some type, but in any case several years back I was able to grab some really good quality CH's with the name "Freedom Bone" and marked AXTF which I assume is the manufacture. They proved to be as good as any higher end CH's available at the time and the price was so good I could not pass. Then they were gone not to be found any where. I have also a bought few original BCM AMBI models and a single Geissele first gen /run/batch what not model. I'm serious hobbyist and life long shooter. Once I was willing to pay over $50.00 a piece for a CH as a hobbyist it came down to a known quality company feel & price. Being a left handed left eye dominant AMBI is a must and I have never felt a stock CH that I liked. As a 62 year old self admitted change stuff type I really like a quality CH. Since not good & too chicken at being a criminal & not allowed or interested hookers alcohol or blow nice accessories are one of my safe legal vices. Of course strippers are okay and allowed but it seems they all want money and are not looking for friendship or like to talk gun & ammo.with a fat old white guys all that much.

https://www.recoilweb.com/axts-is-now-radian-weapons-117112.html
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/11/07/axts-rebrands-to-radian/

They co-sponsored this event in Salem...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?213539-Radian-Weapons-and-Noveske-put-together-Pro-2A-Rally-at-the-Salem-Capitol

maximus83
07-12-19, 13:23
I have used the Raptor for several years and still have it on two rifles. It has been absolutely reliable and easy to use for a LH shooter.

However I've read good reviews on the BCM 4x4 Gunfighter (https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4X4-Ambi-p/bcm-gfh-556-mod-4x4.htm) (medium latches). Considering trying that one for an upcoming build. One thing I've learned with ambi charging handles, basically don't waste your time with cheap ones. I would check out the Radian or the BCM ambi offerings, just decide what latch size you want. They are g2g.

Jonnyt16
07-12-19, 16:17
Another fan of the Geissele ACH

https://i.imgur.com/6psz5jX.jpg?1