PDA

View Full Version : Question for Manufacturers: nonstandard markings on lower receivers

BAC
11-10-08, 10:15
Preface: I'm not talking about simple engraving. This pertains to the actual company markings (logo, mode/caliber, location of manufacturer, etc.). This is also an aesthetics thing, simply a 'want' rather than a 'need'.

I was looking at a couple lower receivers yesterday and noticed that some of them seem a little more... cluttered, for lack of a better description. Not knowing exactly what is required in the marking of lower receivers anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase a "blank" receiver from company X, Y, or Z, and if they could put information where I want it. Is it possible that a company might, for a custom job, move stuff around?

Example: on Defense Edge's SLR15 lower receivers (here (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-560/SLR15-Lower-Receivers-with/Detail) and here (http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7206084761/m/3531042004?r=3471048004#3471048004)), I like the logo but not the words crammed above them, nor the location information just above the selector. If one were to remove the word "lower" and put the model/caliber information on that line, and move the location information further left as on a CD Defense lower... or simply swap the locations as on a Noveske lower.

As I asked above, is something like this even possible? If so, what could I expect in the way of price increase?

-B

JBnTX
11-10-08, 11:30
Probably not. Ask them to be sure?

I think it's required to have the manufacturers name and address along
with the serial number (of course).

And it's their way of advertising. Try getting a bottle of Coke without
Coke being written on it.

Look at the front pivot pin holes on that Defense Edge's SLR15 lower
receiver. They sure do look kind of thin. I think I'd pass on that one.

BAC
11-10-08, 12:00
Oh, no, all of the same information would be there, it would just be rearranged. I haven't called or emailed anyone yet because I wanted to know if this was even feasible before I did anything else. I had heard of Mega doing something like this, but the details are unknown to me and it might just be hearsay.

-B

Army Chief
11-10-08, 14:27
Granted, this is a pretty petty concern, but I am really getting weary of small-time manufacturers slapping massive, garish, half-arsed proprietary logos on to their lowers. Most of them are self-aggrandizing and amateurish at best. In my opinion, that is. ;)

Chief

lindertw
11-10-08, 14:53
Sully (SLR15) offers custom engraving on their lowers - you might be able to get what you desire from them... give 'em a call (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-560/SLR15-Lower-Receivers/Detail)

BAC
11-10-08, 15:26
Granted, this is a pretty petty concern...

Absolutely. That's why, for me, it falls squarely in the 'want' column. :D

Sully (SLR15) offers custom engraving on their lowers - you might be able to get what you desire from them... give 'em a call (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-560/SLR15-Lower-Receivers/Detail)

Thanks, I hadn't known that. I'll have to give them a ring this week, then.

-B

lindertw
11-10-08, 15:29
Thanks, I hadn't known that. I'll have to give them a ring this week, then.

-B
cool - let us know what artwork you end up with (and be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the provided SLR15 link above for artwork info/options).

Renegade
11-10-08, 15:35
You cannot mess with the SN. Everything else seems to be fair game. Caveat Empor.

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

LOKNLOD
11-10-08, 15:46
From what I've seen, Sabre stripped lowers (look at the pics on G&R's website) have the least, simplest markings.

Bimmer
11-10-08, 16:54
You cannot mess with the SN. Everything else seems to be fair game. Caveat Empor.

Yeah, but there's nothing that says exactly where the serial number must be placed, right?

TY44934
11-10-08, 17:04

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

True. But, I have owned in the past lowers that had no serial number at all, and no manufactuer's name on them. At all.

"but isn't that . . . . ??!?!"

Before you send the men in white coats with butterfly nets & a straigh jacket out to get me for posting such info on a public internet forum, consider this:

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

In letters from the agency, it is recommended that the maker put an identifying mark, such as a ficticious, pretend, made-up, meaningless serial number on the lower so that it may be identified and returned to the owner if it is ever stolen.

You could make a lower with completely blank sides if you want. But about 10 out of 9 guys on this site or TOS are willing to go to the trouble unless they are already employed as machinists as their day job.

It is lawful. Practically, its just a matter of how how much you want it.

Renegade
11-10-08, 17:30
Yeah, but there's nothing that says exactly where the serial number must be placed, right?

SN must be on receiver. Everything else can go on BBL, Receiver, etc.

TY44934
11-10-08, 17:32
Not one that I ever owned, but you could make yourself something like this:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/LW_Lt_Side_No_Scope.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/LW_Rt_Side_No_Scope.jpg

is that what you had in mind?

If so, you can ONLY make it yourself. You, as in: you are the one actually doing the machine work, in-person, by yourself. Asking another person to do the work for you = felony.

Enjoy.

Renegade
11-10-08, 17:33
That is pure beauty.

If you are in Texas and ever want to sell it, I will take it.

BAC
11-10-08, 19:26
Actually, all I really wanted to do was reduce the "clutter". I'm fine with the firearm appearance itself, I just like text that gets stamped onto it to be kept to a minimum. Like I said earlier, this is entirely aesthetics and personal preference.

You know, I completely forgot about those "80%" or whatever receivers as starting points. TY44934, thank you for reminding me of that. How does one actually put roll marks onto a receiver? Is it literally a cylinder that rolls across the surface like a press? I'm just trying to figure out how I'd go about putting my own logo on a blank slate receiver like that. Granted, that would move me into completely new territory, as I currently have no machining experience, BUT I've always wanted to learn. :p

-B

BretShooter
11-11-08, 13:24
Actually, all I really wanted to do was reduce the "clutter". I'm fine with the firearm appearance itself, I just like text that gets stamped onto it to be kept to a minimum. Like I said earlier, this is entirely aesthetics and personal preference.

You know, I completely forgot about those "80%" or whatever receivers as starting points. TY44934, thank you for reminding me of that. How does one actually put roll marks onto a receiver? Is it literally a cylinder that rolls across the surface like a press? I'm just trying to figure out how I'd go about putting my own logo on a blank slate receiver like that. Granted, that would move me into completely new territory, as I currently have no machining experience, BUT I've always wanted to learn. :p
-B

Send it out to have the artwork done.

TY44934
11-11-08, 18:30
They make a version for aluminum too. Very 1950's look to the box, but take a look at the marks it makes on knives:

http://www.etch-o-matic.biz/knifemaker.htm

BAC
11-11-08, 22:27
Website says their "deep" etchings go .003". That's the minimum depth for an NFA engraving, and I assume is also the minimum depth for general manufacturing markings. I wonder if it'll still be .003" after the unfinished product comes back from the final surface treatment (birdsong, parking, whatever)? I shot 'em an email to see if it's possible to hit .0035" or .004" as a just-in-case.

Exactly what I needed. Another expensive hobby. :rolleyes:

-B

frogger
11-11-08, 22:53
I do know that I saw a vendor on another forum who had gotten a large batch of Mega lowers with no logo as a custom run. I would think it would have to be a large batch (thinking group buy) for them to change up their production line to do this.

royta
11-13-08, 22:09
Not one that I ever owned, but you could make yourself something like this:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/LW_Lt_Side_No_Scope.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/LW_Rt_Side_No_Scope.jpg

is that what you had in mind?

If so, you can ONLY make it yourself. You, as in: you are the one actually doing the machine work, in-person, by yourself. Asking another person to do the work for you = felony.

Enjoy.

That's a California friendly rifle. The bullet mag release button gives it away.

TY44934
11-14-08, 12:18
Come again?

I looked at the mag release and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. I will look again at the post on TOS where I located these photos & see if the owner is indeed in CA (but I doubt it). Still, I'll check.

Do you believe this rifle has a FIXED 10 shot magazine, and if so, what leads you to conclude that?

TY44934
11-14-08, 12:27
I'll be damned, the guy IS in CA:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=404423

What ever state you live in, make sure you follow all applicable state laws. Here in VA, we are not required to register our guns with the state, and the AR-15 is lawful to own.

royta
11-14-08, 19:48
Come again?

I looked at the mag release and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. I will look again at the post on TOS where I located these photos & see if the owner is indeed in CA (but I doubt it). Still, I'll check.

Do you believe this rifle has a FIXED 10 shot magazine, and if so, what leads you to conclude that?

A lot of folks who haven't spent any length of time in California do not know what a bullet button looks like, nor do they know what California's definition of a "detachable magazine" is. Notice I said detachable and not attachable. The nice thing about California is that the people who write laws miss quite a few things. It just so happens there are plenty of AR-15 enthusiasts who are much smarter than the writers of California gun laws, and know how to build rifles that are 100% legal.

No, it is not a fixed 10 round magazine. The magazine is removed by inserting a "tool" into the center of the magazine release. With a Prince 50 kit, the magazine would be locked into place,

LINK (http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html)