PDA

View Full Version : Looking for useful AR Accessories

davidk
05-10-19, 17:57
----- Completed. Thanks for the helpful comments----

I am looking for a list of useful AR accessories to include in a magazine article. Preferable introduced within the last two years.

Do you have some suggestions for accessories that you like?

Firefly
05-10-19, 17:59
I didn’t do folks homework in school and I damn sure ain’t doing it as a grown ass man.

Go try stuff out on your own

titsonritz
05-10-19, 18:01
I didn’t do folks homework in school and I damn sure ain’t doing it as a grown ass man.

Go try stuff out on your own

No shit. Here since 2006 and haven't picked up on anything? Really?

TomMcC
05-10-19, 18:17
Maybe it's really a compliment...seeking your learned opinion.

But yeah...there are a lot of threads about stuff on AR's and pictures...lots and lots of pictures of AR's and the stuff people put on them.

Uni-Vibe
05-10-19, 18:37
I saw a guy at the range the other day. He had a KAC AR and everything you could possibly hang on it. He had:

Aftermarket collapsing buttstock
Big Trijicon scope
"Green Light" above the scope, whatever a green light is
Red laser.
White flashlight.
Bipod.
Forward handgrip.
Canted iron backup sights.
Muzzle brake.

Unbelievable. That thing must have cost $5K, and weighed 12 pounds, and needed 3 different kinds of batteries to get going.

And there I was, next to him, shooting a box-stock LE6920.

davidk
05-10-19, 18:54
Well gents,

I don't have time to test everything myself so its worth asking what others like. No need to participate if you don't want.

TomMcC
05-10-19, 19:01
It really depends on what you,re trying to do. But since I'm kind of old with not so good eyesight, a magnified optic is a must.

Fatorangecat
05-10-19, 19:02
Well.... it's a gun forum so expect to be insulted for asking about gun stuff. I'm pretty happy with the Cloud Defense mount for pressure pads. If I were suggesting stuff to put on an AR that would be top of the list.

AndyLate
05-10-19, 19:52
Sling
BCM or Magpul pistol grip for better ergonomics, Ergo is good too
Gisselle or Larue trigger or if single stage/milspec is prefered, one of the many polished, nickel teflon plated triggers.
BCM charging handle
Red dot or LPVO
Light

I have never actually bought a complete AR, but that would be my approach.

Andy

MegademiC
05-10-19, 20:25
I am looking for a list of useful AR accessories to include in a magazine article. Preferable introduced within the last two years.

Do you have some suggestions for accessories that you like?

What, on your current setup, is holding you back?
What dont you “like”?
What is the role of the gun?

Cant answer without that. Some guys like a2 grips, i use bcm. I doubt it helps my times though.
Do you beed a sling? Is the stock uncomfortable or unsteady for you?

If you dont shoot it- just blow some money on stuff you think looks cool.

Edit- if you dont own a shot timer, that would be the best addition to a stock gun, about on par with mags and ammo.

Hammer_Man
05-11-19, 07:38
Magpul B.A.D. Lever

KNS anti rotation pins

Any variety of extended mag release paddles, preferably in a bright contrasting color.

Oversized charging handles that poke you when carrying your weapon, or snag on gear.

Everything with lasers.

Anything made by Strike Industries.

Circle_10
05-11-19, 07:56
I use a lot of Fiberlite CAR buttstocks and 3M Saf-T-Walk grit tape.

If you can stomach the fact that they are Keymod, the BCM PKMRs are pretty nice handguards if you are an outdated relic like me who still uses fixed FSBs on everything.

Renegade04
05-11-19, 08:00
Well gents,

I don't have time to test everything myself so its worth asking what others like. No need to participate if you don't want.

When it comes to AR accessories, it is an individualized subject. Not everyone is on the same page as many have different requirements and needs for their ARs. SOme basics are as follows:

BUISs
Optic/Scope (red-dot, holographic, or magnified)
Weaponlight
Sling/Sling Swivel/Sling Swivel Adapter
Rail Covers (Picatinny, M-LOK, or Keymod)

You can also include:
Buttstocks
Free-float Handguards (Picatinny, M-LOK, or Keymod)
Drop-in Handguards
Muzzle Devices

There are loads and loads of other accessories from a myriad of companies with which to customize any AR. One's own budget, taste, and wants/needs determine what accessories to buy. As far as not having time to test everything yourself, that is not even an issue. There are multiple videos on-line of product evaluations that people have used. There are also forums which have areas dedicated to manufacturers to which people post about their products as well as other areas (such as General Discussion) where people will critique products that they have used or have seen used. My advice, determine just what you want to cover in your "article" and research that material. Remember, you have to keep bias out of what you find as you will find many comments from brand loyalists that will knock down other manufacturers' products without ever using them. The AR accessory market is vast and you can find yourself in a sea of confusion if you are not careful. Do the homework and make sure to get your facts straight.

Tony617
05-11-19, 23:44
Magpul B.A.D. Lever

KNS anti rotation pins

Any variety of extended mag release paddles, preferably in a bright contrasting color.

Oversized charging handles that poke you when carrying your weapon, or snag on gear.

Everything with lasers.

Anything made by Strike Industries.

I had an issue with the Magpul BAD lever. I built and Anderson Lower but I bought a fully assembled chrome barreled upper receiver from PSA. When I didn’t have the BAD lever on my AR would cycle fine but would not with the BAD lever on. I bought a 1 piece Phase 5 BAD lever instead.

https://phase5wsi.com/extended-bolt-release-v3-ebrv3.html

Hammer_Man
05-12-19, 08:34
I had an issue with the Magpul BAD lever. I built and Anderson Lower but I bought a fully assembled chrome barreled upper receiver from PSA. When I didn’t have the BAD lever on my AR would cycle fine but would not with the BAD lever on. I bought a 1 piece Phase 5 BAD lever instead.

https://phase5wsi.com/extended-bolt-release-v3-ebrv3.html

Perhaps you didn't pick up on the sarcastic tone of my post.

daddyusmaximus
05-12-19, 08:41
Best thing I know of that has come out in the past few years is the SBA3 brace.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-12-19, 09:34

Upgrade/replace - Perhaps the most universally useful is an improved trigger from the standard GI. The LaRue MBT was introduced about four years ago. It compares well to the Geissele SSA. However, it's introductory price was $250 and didn't seem to gain much traction. In the last year the standard price was slashed to $87 which has given it a lot of attention at less than half the price of the SSA. Many have commented that it's one of the best values on the market which I think makes it worthy of mention. I own one. https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Add-on - Arisaka fingerstop. The minimalist design is worthy of mention. I have found it more useful than the pile of vertical and angled foregrips that now reside in my AR parts box. It was introduced well over two years ago but I think you'll find a lot of folks not familiar with it. https://arisakadefense.com/collections/frontpage/products/finger-stop-m-lok

Hammered_Pair
05-12-19, 10:28
Keep it simple- most shooters need only a good sling, a white light, and a lot of range time to learn how to run the gun.
None of the other stuff is technically necessary.

RHINOWSO
05-12-19, 11:22
"Looking for useful AR Accessories"

That someone writing an article about AR15s needs to ask that questions and is unable to do 60 minutes of their own research online shows you why the firearm magazine (print or online) industry is absolute $hit.

26 Inf
05-12-19, 11:29
Sling.

Andy

OP - you could do a short article on the just the differences in pull tab configurations between an SOB B-Sling and a Non-Padded VTAC (or other type of quick adjustable two points).

I prefer the SOB-B sling simple because I like the pull towards me configuration to tighten. So if I were wanting to write an article on why I find that method to be preferable, listing pro's and con's.

ETA: You could also do the same thing focusing on different pistol grips - contrasting the grip angles and comfort/shootability each one offers. For example, I went to the B5 Type 23 because the results of a broken wrist left me bone on bone in the wrist joint and the standard A2 angled grips were very uncomfortable to shoot in any position but prone.

You could also write an article about who actually makes the components for the LPK's that different vendors sell (PSA versus BCM as an example). Who knows you may be able to break the code of silence and expose the 'we make shitty springs and pins for lower tier AR's' factory.

05-12-19, 11:44
"Looking for useful AR Accessories"

That someone writing an article about AR15s needs to ask that questions and is unable to do 60 minutes of their own research online shows you why the firearm magazine (print or online) industry is absolute $hit.

Most articles these days read like advertisements, or one of those clickbait “articles” like “10 celebrity pics you must see now”. An article about products written by someone who must ask others what to write will likely demonstrate the author’s lack of experience with the products being discussed. Like a copy-paste press release.

I genuinely hope I’m wrong about OP’s article.

For OP:
Shot timer and DEHP ears. Also, a good flashlight and BFG Vickers sling. Suppressors are nice.

ruckusjuice
05-12-19, 11:50
Not in any particular order:

1. Triggers like the LaRue MBT or Geissele SSA
2. Ambi charging handles like the Geissele, Raptor, or BCM
3. SBA3 brace if you’re putting a pistol together
4. Ambi safeties like the BAD or Talon
5. Free floating MLok rails like the BCM MMR, Centurion CMR, the newer wedge lock rails, etc
6. Magpul PMags
7. Grips like the BCM that cover the annoying gap behind the trigger guard

I didn’t include things like optics, lights and slings because I think they’re a requirement for any gun that’s potentially going to be used for anything serious. I don’t view them as accessories.

davidk
05-12-19, 14:47
Article list is done. Thanks for all of the helpful comments!