PDA

View Full Version : Did I Just F*ck up my Rifle?

MSplumber
05-11-19, 22:26
I did a dumb. While using a USGI metal cleaning rod, I got it slightly stuck in the barrel and had to pull pretty hard to get it out. When it finally came out, it dinged up against the inside of the receiver near the ejection port. I've circled in red where it is. Running my finger across it, I can definitely feel it but it's not terribly rough. Could this eventually cause problems as the rifle wears in more? I don't have many rounds through it.

I will never use a steel cleaning rod again. I'm upset that I may have messed up my still new rifle that I got as an HD gun.

lsllc
05-11-19, 22:28
Don’t worry about it. Just shoot it and forget it happened. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ftrinida1
05-11-19, 22:31
The normal wear you get from the cam pin is probably worse than that. I wouldn't worry about it. Were you using a bore guide?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

30in1
05-11-19, 22:38
Not going to affect anything...... And by the way.....I use a bore snake to clean my barrel..... Does a fabulous job and no scratches.... Just my 2¢

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

MSplumber
05-11-19, 22:42
The normal wear you get from the cam pin is probably worse than that. I wouldn't worry about it. Were you using a bore guide?

I was not using a bore guide. I don't have one. But apparently I should get one.

Uni-Vibe
05-11-19, 23:02
If you clean it properly, i.e. from the breech end, you don't need a bore guide.

And the cam pin doesn't put wear in the upper receiver.

arptsprt
05-11-19, 23:06
I do not think this will cause you any issues.

Boresnakes are nice and I use them too. However, if you want the ability to run patches and or a cleaning brush down the barrel I recommend an Otis cleaning system.

Ftrinida1
05-11-19, 23:20
If you clean it properly, i.e. from the breech end, you don't need a bore guide.

And the cam pin doesn't put wear in the upper receiver.Completely wrong.

If I am using a cleaning rod, there's no way I'm doing it without a bore guide. Whether you do or not is up to you. The only way is from the breech end.

For the cam pin, I'm taking about the round notch in the receiver for when it's in the locked position. It'll rub against the wall of the receiver up to a point then it won't any longer. I can take pictures on all my shorter gas length uppers if you want.

Joe R.
05-11-19, 23:27
Non-critical area. Run the gun.

26 Inf
05-12-19, 00:03
Completely wrong.

If I am using a cleaning rod, there's no way I'm doing it without a bore guide. Whether you do or not is up to you. The only way is from the breech end.

I agree the only proper way is from the breech end. I prefer to pull from the muzzle, either using a cable type cleaning system (I use the Rogers Squeegees) or a Dewey nylon coated rod. Neither will damage the muzzle/crown.

I try to avoid pushing anything through the bore from either end.

YMMV

sechott
05-12-19, 06:15
The BCG with the bolt removed makes a decent bore.guide.

Hush
05-12-19, 10:24
Wait till you find out about the brass marks on the brass deflector [emoji85]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MSW
05-12-19, 12:26
OP,
FWIW, I have a Compass Lake Engineering build, which a target set-up—they recommend use of a bore guide & cleaning from the breech only. I like Bore Snakes, but when I feel nostalgic, I use a Dewey nylon coated rod—with guide in the receiver.

MSplumber
05-12-19, 13:36
I was doing it from the breech end, but without a bore guide. I need to pick one of those up. I'm also gonna get a carbon fiber rod. I have an Otis cleaning cable but there's nothing to attach to the end you pull from to hold it. It's difficult to pull it through holding onto a thin piece of cable that slips through gun oil-covered hands. That said, the Otis bolt and firing pin scrape tool works great.

sechott
05-12-19, 13:51
I was doing it from the breech end, but without a bore guide. I need to pick one of those up. I'm also gonna get a carbon fiber rod. I have an Otis cleaning cable but there's nothing to attach to the end you pull from to hold it. It's difficult to pull it through holding onto a thin piece of cable that slips through gun oil-covered hands. That said, the Otis bolt and firing pin scrape tool works great.

If you take the bolt out of the BCG, you have an inside the reciever bore guide.

Boba Fett v2
05-12-19, 14:29
I did a dumb. While using a USGI metal cleaning rod, I got it slightly stuck in the barrel and had to pull pretty hard to get it out. When it finally came out, it dinged up against the inside of the receiver near the ejection port. I've circled in red where it is. Running my finger across it, I can definitely feel it but it's not terribly rough. Could this eventually cause problems as the rifle wears in more? I don't have many rounds through it.

I will never use a steel cleaning rod again. I'm upset that I may have messed up my still new rifle that I got as an HD gun.

Every time you pull the trigger with a round chambered, the violent force of the rapid gas expansion that occurs once the primer ignites the power is enough to send that bullet spiraling down the barrel at an extremely high velocity while still maintaining more than enough energy to blow back your bolt group so that it can reset and do it all over again. This micro explosion is wreaking havoc to the internals of your carbine. I don't think your little scratch there is going to hurt it more than the wear and tear of normal shooting will. Pew pew.

GH41
05-12-19, 15:03
I still cannot understand how he scratched it where he did with a cleaning rod.

MSplumber
05-12-19, 16:19
If you take the bolt out of the BCG, you have an inside the reciever bore guide.

That is a clever idea.

I still cannot understand how he scratched it where he did with a cleaning rod.

I was using 2 patches and the rod got stuck in the chamber. It was so tight I had to use a pair of pliers to pull on the end of the cleaning rod while someone else held the upper, because when I'd just pull on the cleaning rod, it'd pop right out of the threads of the last section. When the rod finally came out it was in a rather violent motion, and apparently it hit up against the inside of the receiver. I'm positive it wasn't there before this.

lsllc
05-12-19, 16:20
Curious why two patches?

MSplumber
05-12-19, 16:31
Curious why two patches?

Because I'm trying to get through a bag of tiny patches where using one is kind of small, but I've been shooting and cleaning almost exclusively .30 cal for the past few months so I didn't take into account the smaller bore.

sechott
05-12-19, 16:41

The scratches appear to be cause by forcing the charging handle while removing or installing. Maybe a burr on the inside tip of charging handle.

GH41
05-12-19, 16:54
That is a clever idea.

I was using 2 patches and the rod got stuck in the chamber. It was so tight I had to use a pair of pliers to pull on the end of the cleaning rod while someone else held the upper, because when I'd just pull on the cleaning rod, it'd pop right out of the threads of the last section. When the rod finally came out it was in a rather violent motion, and apparently it hit up against the inside of the receiver. I'm positive it wasn't there before this.

Still having a hard time imagining how the rod caused the damage unless is was a goat f--k that involved vise-grips and a couple of beers. A video may have landed you in the "Gunsmithing Hall Of Shame" thread.

SouthwestAviator
05-12-19, 17:30
Still having a hard time imagining how the rod caused the damage unless is was a goat f--k that involved vise-grips and a couple of beers. A video may have landed you in the "Gunsmithing Hall Of Shame" thread.

Except this had nothing to do with gunsmithing by the looks of it. If you haven't had any minor mishaps handling your rifle then you must not actually handle your rifles for anything more than fondling and taking instagram pictures.

To OP: That's not "damage". You'll get more wear than that just from shooting the damn thing.

26 Inf
05-12-19, 19:16
OP,
FWIW, I have a Compass Lake Engineering build, which a target set-up—they recommend use of a bore guide & cleaning from the breech only. I like Bore Snakes, but when I feel nostalgic, I use a Dewey nylon coated rod—with guide in the receiver.

I am firmly in the camp of cleaning rifle bores from the breech by pulling from the muzzle end. This is the only way a bore snake can be used and still obey the edict of never pulling anything back through the muzzle.

The only draw back is that this method precludes the use of patch jags - if desired your can do a final run with whatever you use to condition the bore using a jag, push from the breech end.

As the OP mentioned in a follow-on post, sometimes folks use two patches in the belief that they scrub the bore better by a tight fit. Aside from my belief that this is faulty logic, you will have fewer problems if you pull from the muzzle end if you use two patches. It is just common sense that pulling on a rod offers less chance for kinking and rubbing on the bore than pushing on the same rod.

I use the Roger's squeegee system, pulling from the muzzle end, on general purpose AR's. Other than that I use this method:

My process is that the fist patch through should be soaked with the solvent of your choice, this distributes the solvent throughout the bore. Repeated passes with a brush - soaked with solvent - are to scrub and break the fouling loose. Following are additional soaked patches to swab away the fouling, then clean, dry patches until they are clean. Final pass, with bore conditioner. Make sure you wipe the rod down after each pass.

Any cleaning rod, brush, or rod attachment should be softer than your barrel. As a result, muzzle/crown erosion on barrels without muzzle devices shouldn't be an issue. I avoid un-coated stainless steel or steel rods and stainless steel brushes (except Tornado Brushes for shotguns).

When not using the Roger's squeegee system, I use rods with no handles to clean pistol barrels. That way I don't have to fiddle with unscrewing and screwing on brushes. I also use jags pushed from the breech end.

Roger's system: https://www.rogersshootingschool.com/products/gunclean.php

BigTex2000
05-12-19, 20:12
If you want to get surgical or old-school, get a Tipton carbon fiber rod. Otherwise, just use a bore snake and call it a day. Your solvent should do most of the work. In any event, get rid of your steel rod.

Uni-Vibe
05-12-19, 20:15
Completely wrong.

For the cam pin, I'm taking about the round notch in the receiver for when it's in the locked position. It'll rub against the wall of the receiver up to a point then it won't any longer. I can take pictures on all my shorter gas length uppers if you want.

I shot mine today, and tool a look whilst cleaning.

Zero wear to the round indentation in the upper, zero wear to the top of the cam pin.

And mine is 20 years old, and has seen some use.

I'm not doubting anyone, merely saying that there's no such wear on mine.

Street Survival
05-12-19, 20:50
You will be fine. Invest in a bore snake.

Core781
05-12-19, 21:20
That will not effect function: shoot it. My first Colt sucked brass into the upper so hard it tore some bits off. The brass bits sheared the firing pin retaining pin off and the firing pin got dragged on the upper and the cam pin blew and tore into the upper. What a mess. Replaced the firing pin retaining pin and cleaned out the shavings and it never had a hiccup after that. Colt's are tough. I was running it dry from the factory and being new it needed to be lubricated well and cycled. I give all my new guns a de-greasing and heavy lube on principle.

morpheus6d9
05-13-19, 01:09
no damage done , ur fine

MSplumber
05-13-19, 14:21
Just to allay my concerns, I took it to a gunsmith and had him look at it. He says it's a nonissue too and that it'll get marks worse than that just from normal firing.

RAM Engineer
05-13-19, 14:52
You guys use rods to clean AR bores? I just pull a snake through occasionally.

GH41
05-13-19, 16:43
I just pull a snake dampened with CLP a couple of times through everything I shoot every time I shoot it. That is my cleaning regiment!

26 Inf
05-13-19, 17:01
You guys use rods to clean AR bores? I just pull a snake through occasionally.

I generally use a cable, but yeah, I occasionally use rods.

I also change the oil in my cars and motorcycles at regular intervals, rather than see how cruddy I can run the oil before the engine seizes.

GHMann
05-13-19, 18:04
Nothing to worry about. That won't interfere with operation of the rifle.