PDA

View Full Version : Lefties using the ARs

UVvis
11-02-06, 15:52
I was wondering what types of issues other lefties run into when using these rifles? I'm lookin for ideas and suggestions for changing magazines, closing bolts, and if the ambi parts are worth anything.

GlockWRX
11-02-06, 16:33
I was wondering what types of issues other lefties run into when using these rifles? I'm lookin for ideas and suggestions for changing magazines, closing bolts, and if the ambi parts are worth anything.

I use the ambi-safties, but not the amib-magazine releases. I operate the bolt release with my trigger finger (both to lock it open and release it). Tactical mag changes are a major hassle, so I don't really bother with them. I rip the mag out and ditch it in the dirt or stuff it in my dump pouch. The weapon is empty longer that way (maybe a second or so), but it is way more positive and easy to do than manage a true tactical reload.

yrac
11-02-06, 16:39
Personally, I have done away with any ambi controls on my carbine. However, I know that some folks like them. Here's how I run the gun as a lefty, with no ambi controls:

Bolt release/hold open: Easy - I have no problems hitting this with my trigger finger.
Selector switch: I bring my trigger finger back and activate the selector with my knuckle as I bring my finger down to the trigger. With a little practice, this can be done very rapidly. If the carbine is at the ready and I am anticipate the need to fire quickly, I leave my finger back, with the knuckle contacting the selector so that I can disengage it rapidly. (Note that this is not a position of relaxation for one's hand. It is difficult to maintain this position for an extended period of time.)
Charging handle: while maintaining your grip with your firing (left) hand, rotate the carbine clockwise so the ejection port faces down. Now reach over the top with your support hand and grasp the charging handle and latch with your thumb and forefinger. I am not able to do this with the carbine fully mounted to my shoulder, so I pull the butt down slightly and tuck it under my left arm.
Mag release: I press this with my support-hand thumb. I don't know that I can adequately explain the tac load procedure without pictures, so I won't try to give a butchered explanation.:D

hireforfire
11-02-06, 21:37
I run totally stock controls with the exception of a badger tac latch (which is a necessity for all ar shooters) You can work the safety fine with your trigger hand it just doesn't rest on the safety. the mags are tricky but I normally use my right hand with mag in it to drop the empty and push pull the new mag in. If you have to tac reload you got time anyway so it is no biggie to spend the extra time to stow it.

Wayne Dobbs
11-03-06, 10:04
I've really not found too much of a challenge in running the AR platform left handed. Yrac's information is pretty much the same as my TTPs with the exception that I use my left THUMB to run the selector switch. Just roll it around the back of the pistol grip like you would do if shooting a hard kicking rifle (so you don't hit your nose in that case) and drive on. No loss of control occurs and it's as fast as the right handers using their thumbs. I like this method because it doesn't tire your hand out like using the trigger finger does.

Wayne

UVvis
11-03-06, 12:45
Thanks all,

Where I get hung up is magazine changes.

On an empty mag I just hit the mag release with my right thumb as my right hand is moving back to my body for more ammo. This isn't a problem for me.

For swapping loaded mags in the gun, I find manipulating three things, the mag release, old mag, new mag, somewhat difficult. I can do it, but it is always a little hard. If I try the same deal right handed, it is much easier.

Erick Gelhaus
11-05-06, 23:46
My $0.02 worth ....

I like the ambi selector lever. It allows me to work my carbine & my pistol the same way. Interestingly, the unit I went overseas with bought a bunch of burst ambi-selectors for lefties in the unit. No complaints there.

As for the ambi mag release, I can leave that. I've run with it but just never got comfortable using it in terms of 'muscle memory.'

As for manipulations, strong hand runs the selector lever & engages the bolt release to lock the bolt to the rear; as well as the trigger. Support hand runs the charging handle , closes the ejection port cover. To release the bolt via the bolt release & to depress the mag release, I bring the hand back and wrap it around the front of the mag well. My thumb can hit the mag release or my fingers can depress the top of the bolt release.

FALbert
11-11-06, 16:16
I don't use any special parts due to being left handed. I just learn to adapt to the controls.

Marler5811
11-11-06, 16:30
I run an ambi selector and a Norgon Ambi Mag release. I like having the mag release accessible with my left index finger. Whenever it is time to reload, I just reach up slightly with my trigger finger and hit the mag release, insert new mag, then raise my finger a little higher and send the bolt home.
Being acustomed to using a non modified weapon, it has taken some getting used to. The hardest thing (for me) to get used to was how close the mag realse and the bolt release are. After some practice though, I wouldn't have it any other way.