PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of trigger do you prefer? Flat vs Curved

gregr507
05-13-19, 15:55
Curious what the general consensus was on this issue. Which do you prefer? Do you think there are benefits between either type, or is it simply personal preference? I ask because I'm considering whether I want to order a flat or a curved MBT-2S, and am having a hard time deciding. I might just order both, but only have 1 gun to put them in currently.

Hammer_Man
05-13-19, 16:08
I voted for flat, as the Geissele SD-E is my favorite trigger. However, I used the curved MBT on one of my builds, and I like it just fine.

controlledpairs2
05-13-19, 16:11
Have both. I don’t see a difference in my performance, doing both slow-deliberate fire and speed work. If I am needing speed, I have been sinking as much of my finger onto the flat trigger just like a curved. When I want to shoot slowly, I try my first pad on the lowest part of the flat trigger.

Bottom line, I feel like the flat is more versatile - I can use it with my first pad or sink my finger into it like a curved when needing the speed.

Just my humble opinion.

That being said, I only buy ALG ACT or BCM PNT nowadays.

Good luck

Sry0fcr
05-13-19, 16:37
I can't say that I've ever noticed the trigger shape while shooting. Which one can you get cheaper?

gregr507
05-13-19, 17:55
Have both. I don’t see a difference in my performance, doing both slow-deliberate fire and speed work. If I am needing speed, I have been sinking as much of my finger onto the flat trigger just like a curved. When I want to shoot slowly, I try my first pad on the lowest part of the flat trigger.

Bottom line, I feel like the flat is more versatile - I can use it with my first pad or sink my finger into it like a curved when needing the speed.

Just my humble opinion.

That being said, I only buy ALG ACT or BCM PNT nowadays.

Good luck

Thank you, nice post. I appreciate your differentiation between the two types

I can't say that I've ever noticed the trigger shape while shooting. Which one can you get cheaper?

They are the same price. But I'm also just curious which type people prefer in general

GHMann
05-13-19, 18:08
I guess I prefer the curved triggers because I have never had a flat trigger.

Milspec78
05-13-19, 19:04
I have both the geissele ssa and sd-c.i like both for different reasons,I like the memory of a curved trigger,as my finger pad lands in the same spot of all my ssa's no matter the rifle(I have 3 ssa's in shtf type carbines).i only have one sd-c in an 18" spr type build,as stated above I rest the bottom of my finger on the trigger guard and pull on the longest part of the flat blade to get more leverage to achieve a lighter pull for precision work.i find the same amount of repeatability as long as my finger is resting on the trigger guard using the flat trigger as with the curved trigger,that being said,it did rain during a 800 round carbine course and the curved trigger did offer my finger(wet and muddy) a very positive purchase.
Given my experience with both,if I could only have one,it would be curved.my next trigger will be a larue and to be honest it will probably be their flat bow offering due to my ongoing build being a long range oriented project and I am itching to try larue after many years with only geissele.
Ymmv,good luck.

FLICK
05-13-19, 19:13
I vastly prefer flat triggers. All my G triggers (SD3G and SSP) are both flat. Unfortunately, I don’t have the funds to buy flat G triggers for all my rifles. I have a MBT2S curved; it’s a wonderful trigger especially around $95 shipped. The flat bow wasn’t out when I bought mine early this year. If you buy a flat bow and hate it, I’ll trade you my low mileage curved model.....

Supposedly, there is a single stage MBT that is beta testing now. I’ll grab multiple flat bow models of that when it’s available.

rpoL98
05-13-19, 19:29
prefer curved. trying to be inconspicuous at the range, low-key. even the MBT is too much of a deviation from "stock" USGI for my tastes.

titsonritz
05-13-19, 19:34
Curved. I have multiple SSA, SSA-E, SSP M4 and Hi-speed NM DMR triggers, I had a SD-C that I ran through a carbine course and just couldn't get behind it, I ended up pulling it and trading it for another SSA.

titsonritz
05-13-19, 19:35
prefer curved. trying to be inconspicuous at the range, low-key. even the MBT is too much of a deviation from "stock" USGI for my tastes.

That's a bizarre reason for the preference.

rpoL98
05-13-19, 20:19
That's a bizarre reason for the preference.
I live in a gun-unfriendly state.

ALCOAR
05-13-19, 22:24
Geissele SD triggers ruined me to other triggers.

The SD-E is the finest hard use AR trigger made imho. SD-3G's mouse click is just awesome to shoot with. SD-C is an SSA or KAC 2 stage trigger perfected with the almost flat bow of the SD-C.

The SD triggers give me significant improvement in tactile feedback, and overall sensitivity to the trigger's action.

Renegade04
05-14-19, 07:57
Thank you, nice post. I appreciate your differentiation between the two types

They are the same price. But I'm also just curious which type people prefer in general

I will say this, I have several of the curved MBT-2Ss and one of the new flat MBT-2S. Although I have no issue with the curved triggers whatsoever, I do like the feel of the flat version a bit better. All in all, it really is a personal preference thing and how one perceives the trigger working for them and how their finger engages with the trigger face. I would say to try the new flat MBT-2S. If you do not like it, you will have no problem selling it. Personally, I think you will like it.

https://i.imgur.com/CPtVa3N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RhuYIzT.jpg

tehpwnag3
05-14-19, 09:40
All of my triggers are curved except for one, the MBT. This trigger is installed in my precision rig. Even though the break is a tad higher than my G SSA-E, the flat bow allows me to ride the trigger guard toward the very bottom of the trigger shoe for the exact same indexing, and a feeling of a much lighter pull.

It takes a little getting used to. There is a bit of an edge to it. This will matter for which part of your finger you like to press with (pad, joint, little of both).

The MBT is an incredibly nice trigger for $87.

RVTMaverick
05-14-19, 09:43
Hey Greg,
Flat Trigger Press for ME, it is So much better then a Curved trigger, I will never buy another "Standard" Curved trigger bow again.;)

Curious what the general consensus was on this issue. Which do you prefer? Do you think there are benefits between either type, or is it simply personal preference? I ask because I'm considering whether I want to order a flat or a curved MBT-2S, and am having a hard time deciding. I might just order both, but only have 1 gun to put them in currently.

chef8489
05-14-19, 09:48
I usually buy curved geissele triggers. I prefer the aesthetics of the curved trigger. When shooting it really doesn't matter.

ozarkpugs
05-14-19, 14:03
Neither ,well kinda .I prefer velocity semi curved over flat or full curved .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

bigjoe7757
05-19-19, 03:38
I guess I prefer the curved triggers because I have never had a flat trigger.

Same for me

Hammered_Pair
05-19-19, 07:41
Curved, mostly GI triggers - BCM PNT, ALG stuff. Work doesn't give us much leeway on triggers, so the only thing we can do is get it smoother.

davidjinks
05-19-19, 14:33
I have both Geissele SSA (Large pin) and SD-C.

My opinion is, they both do the same thing. I don’t believe I’m better or faster with either one. I do notice I have more of a propensity to short stroke the flat trigger vs. the curved, when I’m working on speed. I “think” it is due to the fact the trigger sits further forward as opposed to the curved.

Firefly
05-19-19, 14:36
I like my triggers flat like chinese gymnasts

Watrdawg
05-24-19, 08:11
My first non-stock trigger was a Geissele SSA. The next was the SD-C and I haven't looked back from there. There isn't a difference between the two as far as specs but the feel of the SD-C is just different and I like it much more than the SSA. I like the feel of a flat face so much so that I even have flat faced triggers on my G19 and P320. I haven't tried out the MBT yet but for the price compared to the SD-C I'm definitely going to have to.

coachjenorris
07-07-19, 21:32
I definitely prefer the curved trigger.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PhoPoweR
07-07-19, 22:54
I prefer a flat trigger, I've ran the Geissele SD-E and SD-C in all my AR's since they've come out

Vandal
07-07-19, 23:13
On my personal guns, I want a flat trigger. I prefer the CMC 3.5 lbs single stage flatty. May break down and try a Geissele SD-C in the future.

kyjd75
07-08-19, 03:57
After installing either SSA-E or SSA triggers in all of my rifles (only 5 so far), I opted for my latest addition to have a Geissele Super Tricon trigger installed. This trigger has kind of a hybrid curved/straight blade, otherwise it is identical to an SSA. The feel, however, is different and takes a little getting used to. But so far I really like it and continue to use it with future rifles.

Joelski
07-08-19, 06:41
I like 'em both and have no preference, as long as they're Geisseles. I have a mix of SS-A, and SD-C's. Both are predictable, dependable and bullet-proof. I like the flat bow for rapid, follow-up shots. It indexes your finger with the guard amazingly well. Both are a solid wall with a light switch break, and feel great. I like the extra bit of pull vs. an "E" for when the heart rate is up; I can get to stage 1 without a surprise bang, and I know the next bit of pull will print a hole in whatever the target happens to be.

Run N Shoot
07-08-19, 10:54
I have both with an SSA and SD-C however I am going to try the flat bow in a class this weekend to give it a more thorough assessment. As it stands right now either one is fine with me and I really have no preference.

OldArmy01
07-08-19, 13:10
Curved.

All I use are .mil spec and Larue MBT.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Send it...
07-08-19, 13:23
Flat SDC is my choice

Pappabear
07-08-19, 16:35
In a 1911 I hate the flat triggers
AR15, G SSA curved