PDA

View Full Version : Hunting LPVO

05-15-19, 10:43
All,

I’m looking for suggestions for a hunting LPVO. Desired characteristics are a daylight visible crisp illuminated dot and good light transmission for use at dusk and dawn. Looking for a max power of 4-8x. I’ll be using it on a Grendel 12.5” with a suppressor. BDC is irrelevant and I’ll be using it at a max range of 250m on deer and pigs with lead free projectiles. My current favorite LPVO is a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x, but its on a different rifle. I’m open to other optics, obviously. Current optic is a Leupy 2-7x, but I’m looking for an illuminated dot. Reasonable price would be great, but I’m well aware that I get what I pay for.

Edit: I won’t be clicking out dope, so capped turrets are preferred.

TexasAggie2005
05-15-19, 12:47
Not a super popular scope, but I use a Trijicon TR25 1-6 with the green triangle reticle. Glass is great, and the tritium/fiber illumination is perfectly usable in all legal hunting light. With Hornady 75gr TAP T2 from my 14.5" barrel, the bottom of the triangle is right at 250yds.

1x
https://imgur.com/JiWTiUU.jpg

6x
https://imgur.com/4jq65BQ.jpg

Strelok Pro
https://imgur.com/zcJQ7yy.jpg

jsbhike
05-15-19, 13:18
Used a VX-R patrol for several years deer hunting before switching to the Hog model to get away from the exposed turrets. Both have clear glass, bright illumination, light weight, and not pricey.

Leupold also makes a 2-7x VX-R that I would assume has the same attributes as the 1.25-4x plus a 32mm objective lens.

GH41
05-15-19, 13:26
Look at the Leupold VX-R Hog. Good dot, capped turrets, just a hair over 8 ounces and around 500 bucks.

05-16-19, 04:38
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I’ll look into those.

themonk
05-16-19, 06:25
What's your budget?

The Vortex Razor 1x6 gen 2 E for the money is just awesome.

05-16-19, 06:36
What's your budget?

The Vortex Razor 1x6 gen 2 E for the money is just awesome.

I haven’t set one yet. I’m in the “explore what’s out there and start saving” phase with this one. Although, I’m pretty deep in expensive projects right now. I’ll look at the Vortex, also. I hear nothing but good about them.

dwhitehorne
05-16-19, 07:19
I have the leupold firedot circle. It works for me. I couldn’t stand the stupid “Pig Plex” words so I went with the circle. David

mark5pt56
05-16-19, 08:50
I recommend a simple reticle with these scopes. Definite day light reticle, especially for dawn and dusk but also if you are shooting from the woods into an open area. I don't think you need a hold over whether it be lines or dots, you know the deer size, simply hold over x amount. Distance isn't that far to where this is hard. I'm guessing you are wooded with shots 200 and under?

The Trijicon looks like a great choice and yes on capped turrets, those things can get turned easy sometimes. The Strelok Pro pic, says a lot and I think answers your quest.

Another
https://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/AcPt_Triangle_Reticle_Measurements.pdf

gunnerblue
05-16-19, 09:07
Personally, i wouldn’t want a heavier scope on a 12.5” hunting Grendel. The Leupold VX-R Patrol seems like a good pick and if you were shooting past 250, I’d say NF NX8. I have a rifle setup the same way as the OP however I use a 1.5-8 Razor HD LH- suits my needs fine but no illuminated dot.

jsbhike
05-16-19, 10:45
I have the leupold firedot circle. It works for me. I couldn’t stand the stupid “Pig Plex” words so I went with the circle. David

They dropped the circle dot by the time I switched from Patrol to Hog.

I preferred the circle on the Patrol's SPR reticle, but way too many times I would find the turrets moved from getting brushed by truck seats or other equipment. They really need some increased tension along with not using checkering reminiscent of a meat tenderizer.

GH41
05-16-19, 15:20
They dropped the circle dot by the time I switched from Patrol to Hog.

I preferred the circle on the Patrol's SPR reticle, but way too many times I would find the turrets moved from getting brushed by truck seats or other equipment. They really need some increased tension along with not using checkering reminiscent of a meat tenderizer.

I begged Leupold to build me a Pig with the SPR reticle but they refused. The wiggly/jiggly exposed turrets are part of the reason I got rid of my Patrol. Who is going to dial a 1X4 anyway??

jsbhike
05-16-19, 20:24
I begged Leupold to build me a Pig with the SPR reticle but they refused. The wiggly/jiggly exposed turrets are part of the reason I got rid of my Patrol. Who is going to dial a 1X4 anyway??

I can only recall 1 guy online in a YouTube video reviewing the Patrol target knobs adjusting from sliding across a farm truck seat and decided (erroneously) that he had to be whining about nothing considering no other review mentioned that issue. I thought at worst maybe a click (.1 mil) off at worst, but 5 or more clicks on either knob(sometimes both at once) was nothing unusual.

AndyLate
05-17-19, 05:51
An FYI - my 1-4 Trijicon accupower's reticle is not daylight visible. It's not a dot like you are looking for anyway, but I bought it with the assumption it was brighter.

I think the fiber optic/tritium accupoints are daylight visible and have simpler reticles.

05-17-19, 06:15
An FYI - my 1-4 Trijicon accupower's reticle is not daylight visible. It's not a dot like you are looking for anyway, but I bought it with the assumption it was brighter.

I think the fiber optic/tritium accupoints are daylight visible and have simpler reticles.

Noted, thanks.

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-17-19, 07:03
I vote for the TR25 or the TR26 if you want a 2.5-12.5, the triangle is an amazing reticle for hunting. I have two 3-9 with the amber and I have a 1-4 with green. They are fast and great for hitting a moving target.

xRangerx
05-17-19, 09:01
I had a Steiner 1-4 and it is great. Why not get another one? I sold mine to buy an nx8 1-8 that should be here today!

05-19-19, 06:55
Thanks for all the input. I think I’ll go with either the Leupy Hog or another Steiner. I definitely need to get that Vortex for one of my 5.56 rifles, though.

Snipe315
05-20-19, 14:19
A 6.5 Grendel with a 12.5 inch barrel could be accurate out to at least 800 yards, so a 1-8x LPVO would be suitable. I'd look at the Trijicon Accupower 1-8x or the Nightforce 1-8x (ATACR or NX8) among other optics in the 1-8x range.

05-20-19, 16:10
A 6.5 Grendel with a 12.5 inch barrel could be accurate out to at least 800 yards, so a 1-8x LPVO would be suitable. I'd look at the Trijicon Accupower 1-8x or the Nightforce 1-8x (ATACR or NX8) among other optics in the 1-8x range.
Yes, I’m aware that the Grendel is very capable, but I live in the Southeast. This gun will be used to replace my lever guns for woods hunting.

I’ll use my 7-08 bolt gun with Zeiss glass for longer work. That, too will eventually be phased out for a 6.5.